Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Viridiant posted:

I stayed away from Berserk for a long time because it seemed way too dark and violent to me. When I finally got into it I was pleasantly surprised by the consistent theme of -hope- that runs through the manga. Even during Guts' lowest point, the Eclipse, there's a thread of hope that manifests yes in his and Casca's survival, but moreso I feel in Rickon's survival and how he was more or less spared from having to witness the full brutality of the Eclipse. During the Golden Age arc the hope manifests as the Band of the Hawk's core members and Guts and Casca's relationship. In the Dark Swordsman arc the hope is manifest as Puck.

The Conviction arc manifests hope in a variety of ways, such as Isidro and the sex workers, as well as the village girl's decision to persevere and move forward with her life. After that as the group gets together the hope manifests more consistently as the friends that Guts surrounds himself with.

I think it's likely that Berserk is going to end with a fight between Griffith and Guts, but I actually feel that it would be truer to the story if Guts walked away from the fight. In addition to the thread of hope there's also been a consistent theme of the rejection of vengeance. The Berserker armor was necessary to get Casca safely to Elf Island, but it's been consistently shown to be bad to feed the dog. Do NOT feed that dog that rages within. Now that Casca has been "restored", I see no reason why feeding the dog would now be okay to do.

The Skull Knight has already been swallowed by his vengeance. Let him handle Griffith, and be happy with Casca. Griffith is not worth their time.

That would be nice. But this is berserk.

Which is why Griffith is going to attack elf island any chapter now, the stakes need to raised. One of the major quests has been completed and now the party needs motivation to go after the big bad, something that makes the entire party pissed off at Griffith. The upcoming Elf Island Massacre will be one thing but what really would motivate all of them is if one of the party died.

So i'm calling it, one member of the party will die "soon". Probably either Schierke or Farnese, as both can do magic now. The story needs a character to pull Guts back out of the berserker armor and at this point Farnese could probably do it if pressed, so only one is necessary for the plot. That makes me pretty sure that one of those 2 will be murdered by Griffith. But which one. Schierke makes sense since Farnese could take over Guts "armor-duty". However the emotional impact of Farnese dying is so huge it's off the charts. It would be one hell of a motivation for Casca. And Serpico would go nuts to. So that makes me lean towards Farnese dying. Also we get to see Punished Venom Schierke afterwards.

Or Miura could be the ultimate bastard and kill off Casca so soon after her "revival". I don't want to think about that but i can see him do it.

Anyway my money is on Farnese dying for maximum impact. I'm pretty sure this could happen "soon" chapter wise, like within 10 chapters. However at the current rate that might take 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Is there still no translation yet? I cant find anything.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

LordMune posted:

Alright, it's up on mangadex, torrent later today.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/868892/1

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

LordMune posted:

In case the context isn't clear, the little comment at the very end is from Miura, cropped from this Young Animal's table of contents.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
An actual second chapter this year. Wow. Maybe 2020 isn't such a hellyear after all. And it has a dorf!

Someone update the graphs!

EDIT: Also yeah seems like page 6 is like half uploaded.

EDIT2: Did it myself:

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 22, 2020

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Ccs posted:

Oh, finally some story progress! Since moonlight child is Griffith, maybe we'll finally have some kind of showdown or something. Interested to see if Caska meets the child this time now that she's in her right mind.

yeah this has to be an diversion by griffith. I bet there is going to be a quiet chapter or maybe two with moon baby, caska and guts. Then surprise its griffith there with his mixed human and monster army. And then we are going to have the most beautiful two page spreads of unicorns fighting monsters. I can't wait. It might even happen this year.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

TheLoneStar posted:

Honestly pretty accurate.

I do like how this assassin group was built up to be able to slay thousands of men, but died within the span of two chapters. One even died by just getting stabbed by the king. Wyald and his guys are...something else. That poor farmer family. I knew the second they appeared and helped that they were gonna die. Also, Wyald just transformed and that was not what I was expecting. That weird eye-golem form with his torso as its head...very odd.

The fact that Griffith can't talk and we don't know his inner thoughts is making me increasingly nervous. He just keeps staring at the action and its so foreboding...

So close now, cant wait for the next post hah.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
I think the eclipse always would have happened, even if Griffith didn't go to the princess and then to the jail. Causality and such, the Godhand would have gotten him there some other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
The japanese translated for those of us who dont speak moonspeak:

"Goddess of the spring where the dragonslayer was dropped"