Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
And the symbol of the Holy See is pretty much just a Brand of Sacrifice:

It was even more obvious in the prototype manga:

The foreshadowing for how everything fits together has not exactly been subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Ccs posted:

If anyone is chafing between chapters, I highly recommend the book "Between Two Fires" by Christopher Buehlman. It's possibly the most Berserk-esque book I've ever read, to the point that I was sure some sections were direct homages. It's historical fantasy, and the author has done a poo poo ton of research into medieval France, so it doesn't seem derivative at all. I read a ton of fantasy and this is one of the best in a long time.

It's also self contained so you get the whole story, conflict, backstory, arcs, everything, in one volume. Some great economy of storytelling.

This got buried by that argument immediately afterward, but it's a pro recommendation. I just blasted through it in an evening, and it's been a long time since I had the attention span to actually sit down and read a book.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Berserk is a story about terrible things happening to... basically everyone. The only major character I can think of without some kind of serious trauma and/or horrible death is Roderick, so the usual arguments about fridging or whatever don't really apply. If you're upset about the depiction of sexual violence during war, I have some bad news for you about history.

Schierke, Farnese, Flora, and Luca are all well-developed, and hell, even Moth Girl and the Queen of Midland are pretty badass antagonists who both just had the misfortune of crossing one of the most dangerous humans on the planet. Slan has the most characterization and independent motivations out of the OG four Godhand members. Erica, Sonia, and Isma are all a little underdeveloped, but I suspect that they'll become more significant as the story gets into the endgame.

As for them being drawn salaciously... I mean, you just gotta expect a certain baseline from Japan.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mazed posted:

Where does Griffith's fever dream of being married to Casca and having Guts as their child fit in?

Or...wait. Was Guts their child in that scene, or was Guts the dog their child was playing with?

I had to look this one up, because it's presented as a brief aside that only lasts three pages* right before the Eclipse kicks off, so it's easy to overlook, but I had a bookmark ready to go from the last time I thought about it 'cause this section really doesn't get enough critical analysis, IMO. Guts is their child, Pippin is the dog.

My take on that vision, with the additional context of everything else that came after it, is that it was foreshadowing an ending where Guts and Casca reconciled after her reawakening and raised the Moonlight Boy together while Griffith was somehow trapped inside the boy's body, able to observe everything but unable to move or speak, Johnny Got His Gun-style. It would require some magical shenanigans, but Berserk is full of those, and it would also embody all of the core themes of hubris, torture, redemption, eternal suffering, etc.

*about 1/4 of the way through Volume 12

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Archer666 posted:

*cue griffith's vision of the future of living together like at the end of Golden Age, except he's in a high chair this time*

I've always been of the opinion that that part was some serious foreshadowing intentionally obscured by the fact that it takes up like three panels in the middle of a bunch of way crazier poo poo, and this issue just confirms it, IMO.

Griffith successfully achieved his dream and has everything he ever wanted, but the process left him permanently haunted by the one thing his ambition and power can't get him--the genuine love that Guts and Casca have for each other and their child. Meanwhile, Guts came to terms with literally letting go of his sword and looking after his child instead, and Casca finally woke up from her long nightmare to a reality that's painful but not completely hopeless.

I would have liked to see what Miura had planned for the rest of the story, but as it stands, this ending is pretty much perfect for the story.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I'm reminded of Good Omens, which was written in 1990 by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman (with most of the actual writing done by Pratchett). After Pratchett passed away in 2015, Gaiman refused to work on the miniseries adaptation until he received a posthumous letter from Pratchett telling him to do it anyway. He clearly poured his heart and soul into doing the adaptation justice as a tribute to his late friend, and it shows.

As mentioned above, Miura's best friend and team of hand-trained apprentices continuing and concluding the series in his honor is the most thematically appropriate thing that could possibly be done with Berserk, and I have faith that they'll do it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I dunno if "winning" and "losing" is really the right way to think about fights in Berserk. Like, yeah, Guts "won" the hundred-man melee, but he was half-dead at the end of it and might have died for real if the Band of the Hawk hadn't stumbled on his body, IIRC.

The real measure of success in the world of Berserk is the ability to face overwhelming odds, survive somehow, and not succumb to despair in the face of the trauma incurred in the process. Casca regressed to a cartoonishly infantile state after the Eclipse as a self-defense mechanism, but she also went straight back into "hardcore fighter" mode as soon as she was snapped out of it.