Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

We've all been there. It happens when you least want or expect it. But suddenly you've got wood. Maybe you had an idea, and there it was. Or an opportunity arises, unbidden and now fleeting, leaving you with a hard problem with no quick solution. Maybe you're just swinging it from one place to another in your garage or shed forever. Or you might might just lay it out in your back yard for all your neighbors to see. No matter what the circumstance, you've got wood.

Is it oak? Burch? Perhaps it's poplar, cherry, walnut, mahogany, osage, or ash. Maybe it's applewood, mesquite or hickory, destined to facilitate the preparation of hot, smokey meats. Hey man, you've got wood and by god.you've got to do something with it before it will go away.

:siren: Welcome to The Wood Thread! :siren:

I want to talk about all things wooden. Tell me about trees that have fallen or you have felled. Tell me about your cordwood for this winter's fires. I want to hear about lumber you've stolen from a construction site gotten cheap or even free through unused stock/salvage.

I want to know what you do with your wood. Do you make your own furniture? Do you use it for DIY poo poo around the house? Maybe you make bows or carve little trinkets and sculptures. Do you make your own hardwood charcoal? Are you using it to smoke meats and fish? Hell, maybe you use it to mellow out your home-distilled spirits.

If you know about different wood types and their traditional or even spiritual uses, I want to learn what you know. Are certain trees and their lumber particularly noteworthy? Tell us all about it!

Are there charities that deal with planting tons of trees? Fuckin post about it dude, more trees is a good thing and maybe some folks will donate. Know a particularly interesting or hilarious TREE LAW case or thread? Fuckin post about it.

Basically I want to see a thread all about all things wooden and tree-adjacent. Wood is a great and interesting material, and the trees it comes from are also really godamn cool.

So post about your wood, what you know about wood, and the things that make wood, GBS.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
:dong:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

:smug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
:flaccid:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gtfo that's not wood

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
As a serious post, I'm prob gonna have to pick up woodworking as a secondary skill. I'm wanting to get into small scale smithing (knives and such) which will require making handles once I get adept enough. So I'm interested in seeing what some folks say.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Skypie posted:

As a serious post, I'm prob gonna have to pick up woodworking as a secondary skill. I'm wanting to get into small scale smithing (knives and such) which will require making handles once I get adept enough. So I'm interested in seeing what some folks say.

Yeah obviously I'm reaching for hamfisted dick jokes here but in the end I want to see lines of discussion about wood and wood-adjacent things that's casual in a GBS fashion rather than the kind of thing that people would want to get technical about in say DIY or A/T.

Like myself, I'm a traditional archer. I'm nowhere near the point of trying to make my own bows but I'm interested in that kind of thing and there's some one of a kind bows out there beautifully made from various wood types. Likewise I do some idle redneck whittlin' on random bits of wood and eventually want to get a proper set of wood carving tools and see what I can do. So far the best I do is try to carve some kind of smooth rudimentary shape, but I'd like to do more.

But no matter what the subject, I think that if you really think about it, wood is an amazing and beautiful material. I mean gently caress it looks great, grows out the ground on basically nothing, and can conceivably be managed responsibly.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

That's a cool hobby. My dad got into woodworking/furniture making a few years ago and while he doesn't have the most sane approach he seems to enjoy it :shrug:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Why not make your own arrows? I mean they probably won't compete with modern fiber/ aluminum ones in any way but you could have your very own custom set.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's a cool hobby. My dad got into woodworking/furniture making a few years ago and while he doesn't have the most sane approach he seems to enjoy it :shrug:

You should see if you can get some pictures of his better works to post.

But to expand on my whittlin' comment, I don't just shave a stick down to ribbons and splinters. I always try to shape something geometric like a cube or a pyramid before cutting it from the end of whatever piece of wood I'm screwing around with. The closest I've come to an artistic carving was a small wooden six-inch arrow carving. I enjoyed making it and actually did a real good job in that aspect of the scenario on the broadhead, but my work trying to carve the fletching was way way way harder and thus sub-par if I'm being generous.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why not make your own arrows? I mean they probably won't compete with modern fiber/ aluminum ones in any way but you could have your very own custom set.

It's definitely on the agenda in the long run. But I'm still learning/training my way up to heavier bows. Until I feel I truly know what I'm doing with a bow in my hands I'm gonna stick to manufactured arrows so as not to introduce another possible variable into the learning curve. My long-term goal with archery is to some day hunt with a traditional bow I made myself, firing arrows I made and fletched myself (the broadheads are a whole different story considering you're talking about pretty precise metalworking, so I'll prolly still use manufactured broadheads.)

My current progress with archery is I can tightly group arrows at about 40 yards with a 40 lb draw weight long bow. So imo I'm not ready to even hunt with manufactured arrows/bows yet. I've hunted with rifles and my opinion on hunting in general is you never take a shot unless you can guarantee a swift kill. And I'm not there yet with manufactured bows/arrows and thus have not even dabbled with making my own poo poo yet.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 17, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Anybody made some furniture or done other cool things with their wood?

Post some pictures, I'd love to see it.

That's right, fellow goons, for once somebody on these dead gay forums wants to see your wood.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 17, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's definitely on the agenda in the long run. But I'm still learning/training my way up to heavier bows. Until I feel I truly know what I'm doing with a bow in my hands I'm gonna stick to manufactured arrows so as not to introduce another possible variable into the learning curve. My long-term goal with archery is to some day hunt with a traditional bow I made myself, firing arrows I made and fletched myself (the broadheads are a whole different story considering you're talking about pretty precise metalworking, so I'll prolly still use manufactured broadheads.)

My current progress with archery is I can tightly group arrows at about 40 yards with a 40 lb draw weight long bow. So imo I'm not ready to even hunt with manufactured arrows/bows yet. I've hunted with rifles and my opinion on hunting in general is you never take a shot unless you can guarantee a swift kill. And I'm not there yet with manufactured bows/arrows and thus have not even dabbled with making my own poo poo yet.

Yeah that seems like a pretty ambitious goal. I'm an archer too, but I'm pretty new and just plan to keep target shooting for the foreseeable future.

This isn't really concerned with wood but I've been playing around with the idea of making my own trash bow as a weird art project at some point in the future. It probably wouldn't function well at all, but I'm salivating at the idea. Just go full dystopian aesthetic, maybe use a pipe or a piece of a bike for the riser, and so on.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yeah that seems like a pretty ambitious goal. I'm an archer too, but I'm pretty new and just plan to keep target shooting for the foreseeable future.

This isn't really concerned with wood but I've been playing around with the idea of making my own trash bow as a weird art project at some point in the future. It probably wouldn't function well at all, but I'm salivating at the idea. Just go full dystopian aesthetic, maybe use a pipe or a piece of a bike for the riser, and so on.

There's actually a lot of crazy bastards out there that have made bows out of strange and unlikely materials. I won't vouch for the safety of any of them, but as is the case with many other similar examples of this kind, YouTube and Google searches will likely reveal some bugfuck insane stuff in that department.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 17, 2019

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Does anybody know of specific woods or trees that have spiritual significance in different belief systems?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Purpleheart is a pretty cool wood.

Quilted maple is also amazing if finished well.

Bubinga is a fun word to say.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

Purpleheart is a pretty cool wood.

Quilted maple is also amazing if finished well.

Bubinga is a fun word to say.

I've always really liked bubinga, especially with a little darker stain than is shown there. I had no idea that purpleheart was a thing though and it's absolutely gorgeous. Thank you!

E: also I'm assuming most of those woods on those guitars are burls, since the patterns are similar to what you'd see in some high end tobacco pipes that're also usually burl. Except the purpleheart, that is, since it looks a little more conventionally grained.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 17, 2019

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I used to make wood but not lately. Hopefully soon!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Spins posted:

I used to make wood but not lately. Hopefully soon!

You can make wood again:

https://youtu.be/tFwgC8RcSsY

(no, don't you'll get banned. I just like that clip because of the "BOTH OF THEM!" follow-up)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sometimes I touch wood

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

sometimes I touch wood

Tell me about the feel of the grain and the smoothness of the finish. We're you gently caressing the surface of an end table as you daintily plucked your keys off of a friend's end table? Was it a savagely rough hewn beam of a hearty log cabin? Did the wood rattle beneath your touch like stolen 70s era wood panneling adorning the rotten insides of a derelict husk of a home uninhabited since 2009?

Tell us about the wood you touched.

Alternatively have the wood show us where on the doll you touched it.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I thought of a few more woods that are fun to say:
Cocobolo
Butternut
Wenge
Sapele

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

I thought of a few more woods that are fun to say:
Cocobolo
Butternut
Wenge
Sapele

Tell us about them you coward

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Tell us about them you coward

Sorry, I'm no expert. I've just watched a lot of Norm Abram and David Marks on TV while dreaming of quitting my job and moving to the country and building a workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkcAyXYT2s

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wifi Toilet posted:

Sorry, I'm no expert. I've just watched a lot of Norm Abram and David Marks on TV while dreaming of quitting my job and moving to the country and building a workshop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIkcAyXYT2s

Norm Abram rules hard

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
my farm has a lot of Locust trees, rooted in the depths of Gahenna. I am trying to eradicate them. The wood burns well and makes good fence posts (rot resistant) but the thorns are hellish. The can, and have, punctured tractor tires.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Zippy the Bummer posted:

my farm has a lot of Locust trees, rooted in the depths of Gahenna. I am trying to eradicate them. The wood burns well and makes good fence posts (rot resistant) but the thorns are hellish. The can, and have, punctured tractor tires.

Yeah my family has land in Arkansas and the black locusts out there are basically tree-sized vertical caltrops. Do you know if any use for their lumber though? I always wondered if they could be useful at least on the smaller scale since they don't usually get thick rear end trunks. Like how does it burn and have you ever heard of locust being used for art/craft/carpentry/furniture? From what I know of locust trees I'm betting the answer is a flat no, but I gotta ask. I mean hell for all I know it could put out some good burl that could be used to make a pipe or something.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 17, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Once I had a burned out ex-hippy co-worker advise a 20-something co-worker who might have been about to inherit some land in the country that he needed to plant a bunch of hardwoods and that an Oak Tree takes 25 years to grow but sells for about $600 or something and if he had done that with some family land in the country he had he wouldn't be at this bullshit job. It was like a 30 minute lecture.

Like two months later I saw an article that talked about how apparently every rural land-owner in the south had that exact idea and hardwoods were at an all-time low and most of them couldn't even sell their lumber at all because the glut was so big there was more trunks than sawmills could process.

I did not tell either of them about the article.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Eh but on the other hand it's virtually free and having a bunch of trees on your property that will likely outlast you is kind of cool.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don

Yeah my family has land in Arkansas and the black locusts out there are basically tree-sized vertical caltrops. Do you know if any use for their lumber though? I always wondered if they could be useful at least on the smaller scale since they don't usually get thick rear end trunks. Like how does it burn and have you ever heard of locust being used for art/craft/carpentry/furniture? From what I know of locust trees I'm betting the answer is a flat no, but I gotta ask. I mean hell for all I know it could put out some good burl that could be used to make a pipe or something.

Honey Locusts are the really thorny ones, I believe, I don't think Black Locusts have thorns. Both are invasive and grow rapidly, yeah. The wood is durable and sturdy-- you can make a strong pole-barn with it-- but I don't know if it is good for carving/whittling. I have a wood-working setup in my workshop (the one the bees were eating) but I only use it for simple stuff. I'm not much of a craftsman. Locust wood, once dried and cured, last a very long time, I can say that with certainty. So, if cured properly, one could probably use it for carving or furniture.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Honey Locusts are the really thorny ones, I believe, I don't think Black Locusts have thorns. Both are invasive and grow rapidly, yeah. The wood is durable and sturdy-- you can make a strong pole-barn with it-- but I don't know if it is good for carving/whittling. I have a wood-working setup in my workshop (the one the bees were eating) but I only use it for simple stuff. I'm not much of a craftsman. Locust wood, once dried and cured, last a very long time, I can say that with certainty. So, if cured properly, one could probably use it for carving or furniture.

You seem more knowledgeable than I but out there they call them black locusts and they have thorns up to 3 in long strong enough to own tractor tires. But we're talking foothills of the Ozarks arkies so they may actually be honey locusts for all I know.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Once I had a burned out ex-hippy co-worker advise a 20-something co-worker who might have been about to inherit some land in the country that he needed to plant a bunch of hardwoods and that an Oak Tree takes 25 years to grow but sells for about $600 or something and if he had done that with some family land in the country he had he wouldn't be at this bullshit job. It was like a 30 minute lecture.

Like two months later I saw an article that talked about how apparently every rural land-owner in the south had that exact idea and hardwoods were at an all-time low and most of them couldn't even sell their lumber at all because the glut was so big there was more trunks than sawmills could process.

I did not tell either of them about the article.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Eh but on the other hand it's virtually free and having a bunch of trees on your property that will likely outlast you is kind of cool.

This is also relevant to me. My family has about 150 acres in Arkansas. The plan (even though my father hasn't chased it all that hard) has always been using most the land for gmo fast growing pine, and the rest walnut that matures slow. Like super slow. The idea is that the pine pays for the property and eventually the walnut would pump out a good lump because walnut is stupid expensive.

I can't say for certain though because the land belongs to the old man and I don't nosy into his property and finances. But from what I was led to understand, several acres of mature walnut (long after I'm dead) would be worth good money even if it's only 20-50 acres afaik.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 17, 2019

Winty
Sep 22, 2007

Does anybody know of specific woods or trees that have spiritual significance in different belief systems?

Palo Santo is traditionally important in South America. If you've ever been to hippie music festivals, you know this stuff well. It was huge a couple years ago; people were burning it everywhere. It has a very nice, earthy aroma that makes me nostalgic. Lately I've been seeing pushback against harvesting it for the usual cultural and environmental reasons.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Winty posted:

Palo Santo is traditionally important in South America. If you've ever been to hippie music festivals, you know this stuff well. It was huge a couple years ago; people were burning it everywhere. It has a very nice, earthy aroma that makes me nostalgic. Lately I've been seeing pushback against harvesting it for the usual cultural and environmental reasons.

Yeah but when is it such a big deal? What does it represent and why is that a big deal?

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
When I get home, Honky, I'll see if I can dig up any pictures of my grandparents' previous house. When my grandpa retired, he bought 90 acres of woodland, and they built a fuckin gorgeous house from lumber on the property

They sold it a couple years ago cuz they're 80 now and can't maintain 90 acres of land + 3000sq ft house, but at least they got like $650k for everything

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Skypie posted:

When I get home, Honky, I'll see if I can dig up any pictures of my grandparents' previous house. When my grandpa retired, he bought 90 acres of woodland, and they built a fuckin gorgeous house from lumber on the property

They sold it a couple years ago cuz they're 80 now and can't maintain 90 acres of land + 3000sq ft house, but at least they got like $650k for everything

Yeah defo want to see this if you've got it. Sounds awesome.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
I also have a lot of Eastern Cedar trees but I don't know what to do with them. The wood smells lovely but the trees never seem to get big enough to do anything useful, like make a chest or something. They also seem to have a very poor root system with weak anchoring. Anyone know anything neat to do with Eastern Cedars?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Lacewood is a good wood OP.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I also have a lot of Eastern Cedar trees but I don't know what to do with them. The wood smells lovely but the trees never seem to get big enough to do anything useful, like make a chest or something. They also seem to have a very poor root system with weak anchoring. Anyone know anything neat to do with Eastern Cedars?

Cedar chips are good for keeping moths away if that's a thing you could do. Hell failing that, just fell the trees you want, break it down and split it, and enjoy some cold nights beside an open outdoor fire or a chimenea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I loving love woodworking and I wish my house had enough space for all the wood shop tools