Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
big wood, big life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I made this guitar out of a piece of cherry from a tree that fell in my father in law's back yard.
I always liked the gibson EB0 body, so I just copied it.
The neck I purchased from Warmoth, it's roasted maple.

As it dried it split, so I poured some epoxy with a blue fleck in it to fill the crack.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse

AFewBricksShy posted:

I made this guitar out of a piece of cherry from a tree that fell in my father in law's back yard.
I always liked the gibson EB0 body, so I just copied it.
The neck I purchased from Warmoth, it's roasted maple.

As it dried it split, so I poured some epoxy with a blue fleck in it to fill the crack.

You're missing two strings on your "guitar"

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

big wood, big life

I want that log. I don't even know what the gently caress I'd do with it, but I want it.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pickwick High posted:

You're missing two strings on your "guitar"

I made up for it by making the neck longer.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Honky Dong Country posted:

Anybody made some furniture or done other cool things with their wood?

Post some pictures, I'd love to see it.

That's right, fellow goons, for once somebody on these dead gay forums wants to see your wood.

I posted a thread about making bows a long time ago in DIY, these two I made for my kids when they were little, made of soft maple boards I got at Menards lol. I've probably made 35 or so, been a few years since I finished one, I've had lots of other things I've had to put first the last few years. Making bows is fairly easy, if you're interested I suggest checking out the "Traditional Bowyer's Bible" series of books, there are 4 or 5 volumes, the first one is enough to get you going. Making wooden arrows from scratch is muuuch more work than making bows imo, I just buy arrow shafting that's already cut and checked for spine and all I do is put a finish on them and put fletching, nocks and points on.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Myron Baloney posted:

I posted a thread about making bows a long time ago in DIY, these two I made for my kids when they were little, made of soft maple boards I got at Menards lol. I've probably made 35 or so, been a few years since I finished one, I've had lots of other things I've had to put first the last few years. Making bows is fairly easy, if you're interested I suggest checking out the "Traditional Bowyer's Bible" series of books, there are 4 or 5 volumes, the first one is enough to get you going. Making wooden arrows from scratch is muuuch more work than making bows imo, I just buy arrow shafting that's already cut and checked for spine and all I do is put a finish on them and put fletching, nocks and points on.

drat those look cool.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I've been thinking about taking woodworking classes forever and never do. I live in the city, don't have much room for all the supplies and what would I even do with that knowledge??
Then I end up watching woodworking/furniture restauration on YouTube and think 'what if....'

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I was shooting the poo poo with my neighbor and asked him about what one could do with Locust wood. Apparently it makes good "rustic style" furniture, and good durable floorboards, that sort of thing. But, not very good for carving / sculpting. It is, as I suspected, one of the hardest woods when properly cured, but doesn't get thick enough to make planks. Just wanted to follow up on that.

Black Locust isn't a huge tree but there is some cutting for lumber in the US, and due to its sustainability and rot/insect resistance interest in it is growing. I've seen small tabletops and benches made from one board. It is indeed very hard and durable, and rot resistant as heck. Its grain is pretty, kind of coarse sort of like Elm or Red Elm so I can see how "rustic" might be applied to it. The big strike against it is that it's a bitch to dry without ruining it, or else I think it would sell really well as flooring and decking. Honey Locust is both a smaller tree and inferior as wood - although it is very pretty. Specialty hardwood suppliers often have both, but Honey Locust is probably mostly available as smallish blocks for turning and so on rather than dimensional lumber.

I have a black locust bow somewhere, it makes very fine bows.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Still trying to figure out what veneer's good for. Invisible lamps?

Just making good wood-related purchasing decisions all around lately

shut up blegum posted:

I've been thinking about taking woodworking classes forever and never do. I live in the city, don't have much room for all the supplies and what would I even do with that knowledge??
Then I end up watching woodworking/furniture restauration on YouTube and think 'what if....'

what city

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

A small city in Europe, you probably haven't heard of it :smuggo:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ok have fun with that

there's co-op woodworking spaces in basically every urban area, they're how most people who don't own a mansion make anything. I've been making a passable side business out of CNC machined furniture but only actually own a drill press at home.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 19, 2019

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

ok have fun with that

there's co-op woodworking spaces in basically every urban area, they're how most people who don't own a mansion make anything. I've been making a passable side business out of CNC machined furniture but only actually own a drill press at home.

My dream "when I'm an old dude" job is running a tool-library/co-op. I love my shop to death but would love to spend time working with other craftspeople in a big ol' space with like lathes and industrial sized scroll saws.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

ok have fun with that

Yeah, I looked into that too. But I don't know, I have the feeling that everyone there knows what they're doing and I would just use it to gently caress around once and a while.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

some of em are more formal and restrictive than others, my current one lets any old schmucko walk right in from the street and shove a nailboard in the table saw, or use the absolutely terrifying 70-year-old shaper with no safeties, and somehow has not undergone any disaster worse than ruined blades yet.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 19, 2019

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The mayor of Louisville floated the idea of adding a tool library to the city's library a couple of years ago but then he never followed through :mad: We're in a budget crisis now but we weren't when he proposed it! :arghfist:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Myron Baloney posted:

Black Locust isn't a huge tree but there is some cutting for lumber in the US, and due to its sustainability and rot/insect resistance interest in it is growing. I've seen small tabletops and benches made from one board. It is indeed very hard and durable, and rot resistant as heck. Its grain is pretty, kind of coarse sort of like Elm or Red Elm so I can see how "rustic" might be applied to it. The big strike against it is that it's a bitch to dry without ruining it, or else I think it would sell really well as flooring and decking. Honey Locust is both a smaller tree and inferior as wood - although it is very pretty. Specialty hardwood suppliers often have both, but Honey Locust is probably mostly available as smallish blocks for turning and so on rather than dimensional lumber.

I have a black locust bow somewhere, it makes very fine bows.

Black locusts also own because they've got thorns that can puncture tractor tires :black101:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

This is a section of Huon Pine recovered from the Gordon river in Tasmania. It's a gnarly old bit of a limb that could have been in the river for hundreds of years as it is very impervious to rot. It's one of the better boat building timbers.
Huons are some of the longest lived organisms on the planet and large specimens are very rare and protected. Even recovering fallen timber is strictly controlled and this bit was bought from a licensed collector.
Its full of really aromatic resin and has a beautiful color and grain.
I'm going to slice it up into drink coasters and maybe a small box.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
it's great that locust wood can be stuck into the ground with zero worries about it instantly turning to mush, but you'll still have a devil of a time hammering a u-nail into it while putting up your wire

be prepared to shout profanity a lot when using locust posts

^^^^^ edit

that is a handsome specimen

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Do silk floss trees count for wood?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Wtf that is not a real tree

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Wtf that is not a real tree

Yes it is. Chorisia speciosa.

And they are as pretty as their wood is as thorny :kimchi:

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
beautiful fuckin' tree right there.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

Maple is cool.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Good thread op! I go through a lot of firewood and so does my family and friends, so years ago I kind of got into scavenging wood and splitting it up. Nowadays people text me when they spot curb wood and I go pick it up, stack it by type and dry it out for splitting. It's a hell of a good workout! Nice mixed hardwood & pine firewood is damned expensive if you buy it too. There's a great sense of satisfaction to hauling home a bunch of nice wood that otherwise would have gone to a chipper or a landfill.

My folks also recently suffered a bad garage fire and lost a big old deodar cedar that was next to the garage. I talked to the arborist crew and they cut me several thick cookies from the base and the top, so I sealed the faces and stickered it to sit for ageing. Hoping to get at least once nice peice to turn into a live-edge coffee table for my parents as a sort of commemorative thing. Also pictured is a thinner and very elaborate slab of live oak I came across somewhere else:

Free wood is cool and good :hai:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

EorayMel posted:

Yes it is. Chorisia speciosa.

And they are as pretty as their wood is as thorny :kimchi:

What about their actual wood though? Show us some furniture or something or is it only good for burning?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

What about their actual wood though? Show us some furniture or something or is it only good for burning?

The cotton inside the capsules, although not of as good quality as that of the kapok tree, has been used as stuffing (density = 0.27 g/cm³). The wood can be used to make canoes, as wood pulp, and to make paper. The bark has been used to make ropes. From the seeds it is possible to obtain vegetable oil (both edible and industrially useful).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
The guy we got our firewood from this year turned out to be a massive shitbag and ripped us off. The price would have been way too high if he'd actually delivered. In the end we were supposed to get 3 cord buy after chopping and stacking it's closer to 2 cord and its also wetter than it should be. Said he'd top it up and make it right before ghosting as soon as he had our money.

Basically there's a 90% chance that someone who sells firewood is a piece of poo poo. This makes sense because most people who collect and sell firewood are wasters who can't hold down a real job.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Outrail posted:

Basically there's a 90% chance that someone who sells firewood is a piece of poo poo. This makes sense because most people who collect and sell firewood are wasters who can't hold down a real job.

On the other hand I love the people that have the little firewood kiosks at the end of their driveways around camping areas. Put $5 in the little lock box and then take a stack. It's completely based on the honor system but it works out perfectly.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

EorayMel posted:

The cotton inside the capsules, although not of as good quality as that of the kapok tree, has been used as stuffing (density = 0.27 g/cm³). The wood can be used to make canoes, as wood pulp, and to make paper. The bark has been used to make ropes. From the seeds it is possible to obtain vegetable oil (both edible and industrially useful).

drat that actually looks pretty cool even with the split.

Outrail posted:

The guy we got our firewood from this year turned out to be a massive shitbag and ripped us off. The price would have been way too high if he'd actually delivered. In the end we were supposed to get 3 cord buy after chopping and stacking it's closer to 2 cord and its also wetter than it should be. Said he'd top it up and make it right before ghosting as soon as he had our money.

Always find a firewood guy that's recommended by a bunch of people. I'm sure there's shitbags but I know in my town there's several that a shitload of people use without problems.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

drat that actually looks pretty cool even with the split.

Always find a firewood guy that's recommended by a bunch of people. I'm sure there's shitbags but I know in my town there's several that a shitload of people use without problems.

Yeah, for some reason the regulars weren't selling this year and I had to go with Fuckwit McGee. Outrail is buying himself a chainsaw for Christmas, cutting my own is better than dealing with this poo poo every year.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

every morning i wake up with a boner

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
man gently caress locust trees

we call two entirely different trees "locust" (black vs honey) but they're completely different species. which makes googling specific woodworking examples of them really hard to do and will lead you lots of forums of old guys arguing back and forth about which type is in their yard.

"black locust" is beautiful and has thorns more like a rose. the thorns and the leaves are toxic, as a bonus! yay! wiki has a decent picture of a lattice-like railing made from this stuff, here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinia_pseudoacacia

"honey locust" is actually not at all toxic. hooray! the pods can even be livestock feed in a pinch. except "honey locust" is also "that goddamn tree":

bane of my existence growing up in the ozarks, second only to goatshead burrs around albuquerque

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo