Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Froghammer posted:

TRUE FACTS: I have distinct memories of being 15 and thinking I wasn't cool enough for SomethingAwful because only cool adults posted there

I’m 40 and still think that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I joined because I thought joining meant you could hang out with Zach Parsons

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Luigi Thirty posted:

There was that time a radio station got Fidel Castro on the phone for a prank call, and Steve Wozniak claims got the Pope on the phone by calling the Vatican switchboard and asking for him. It was probably easier 50 years ago.

I don’t normally binge these episodes but Jesus Christ how did I, a hyper nerd who was depressed and socially isolated basically since elementary school and grew up in IRC rooms full of racist gamers and on Something Awful during the dark days of the early 2000s, end up a leftist computer toucher instead of falling into jordy pete bullshit or incel radicalization like so many other super genius types?

I was repelled by the *chans because I still never had any tolerance for the racism or antisemitism or creepy poo poo, at least.

(Though the trans hate on here for years was my only exposure to the entire concept which probably caused even more problems for me but)

i stuck around on the chans for too long and it hosed me up, thankfully not as bad as it could have been though. i like it here because its a relatively safe place and i have met lots off good folks on here.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

yeah, SA was definitely a factor in my political radicalization, because I kept getting into arguments online over (initially) the Iraq war and gradually realized that the people arguing against me all had much better arguments

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

yeah, SA was definitely a factor in my political radicalization, because I kept getting into arguments online over (initially) the Iraq war and gradually realized that the people arguing against me all had much better arguments

yeah, same but over just over the obama years and sped run in trump years. i will say this place does suffer from what you talked about in the latest Worst year, where online makes Nuance when talking about bad/sad/etc poo poo die and die hard. but compared to twitter its better off.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I lurked here for years because of LPs, but finally pulled the trigger when I saw SA was actually walking the walk in terms of progressivism, compared to other places.

I never bothered with 4chan though, I knew that place was a shithole from the get go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GunFondler42069 posted:

The Iraq war, posting, college, and the Daily Show were what finally broke me out of the conservative poo poo I'd been raised with. All that hit me right around the same time and I'm very happy I was open to it and became a better person.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I just smoked weed in college, guys. Jeez.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm extremely fortunate that I had enough anti-fascist education as a part of my regular curriculum that the manosphere never took me in, even during my lowest points of loneliness and self-loathing.

Unlearning ironic racism, though? That poo poo took a while, and even longer for me to realize that 4chan's racism had never been ironic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I think it helped me that I never once thought I deserved anything of any kind, and that the most I could expect from life was being of service to other people who seemed more real than me.

Of course, this lead to other massive insecurities. But it prevented fascism taking a hold of me, so... Hooray?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 27, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Froghammer posted:

I'm extremely fortunate that I had enough anti-fascist education as a part of my regular curriculum that the manosphere never took me in, even during my lowest points of loneliness and self-loathing.

Unlearning ironic racism, though? That poo poo took a while, and even longer for me to realize that 4chan's racism had never been ironic.

yeah. i stayed on the edgy parts of online for a long long time. thankfully offline experiences and politics kept me from being racist or anything, gently caress even when i was the weird lonely datless disabled guy, i never became MRA. i just ended up hanging out in trolling groups and eventually that bit me in the rear end so i quit.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GunFondler42069 posted:

tbh like SA was much later in my life, like well into college, so I cant say how much it really stopped me from getting sucked in

honestly it probably wasnt SA so much as gamefaqs because I at one point wrote some guides and other poo poo for that website and it's kind of weird to have your cousin call you for game advice on something you never discussed because he figured out that I wrote something, which kind of led me to like reasses how I was using the internet and posting to public platforms and I selectively began isolating myself from getting into too many cultures at some point

at least by the time I got on SA the only things it really helped me do was solidify views on content moderation and discussion on the internet and sever any deeper roots to gaming culture before I could get sucked into gamergate

also thank loving christ I severed gamefaqs before gamergate because loving hell I cant imagine how much of a shitshow that was for that website

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

SA is a case study on how MINIMAL the level of intervention necessary is to stop a digital community from becoming a literal hive of Nazis. Lowtax is and always has been a terrible person. But you'd get banned for crossing certain lines and so, as toxic as SA has been at points, it never came close to 4chan or 8chan in sheer horror unleashed upon the world.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
My SO was involved in the decision to dis-invite Baen Book's publisher as Editor Guest of Honor from this year's Worldcon for refusing to moderate the house forums that have been taken over by Nazis. SA has been our go-to example that moderation is possible on a forum platform.

Follow that story if you want to see renowned sci-fi authors make total asses of themselves!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

SA is a case study on how MINIMAL the level of intervention necessary is to stop a digital community from becoming a literal hive of Nazis. Lowtax is and always has been a terrible person. But you'd get banned for crossing certain lines and so, as toxic as SA has been at points, it never came close to 4chan or 8chan in sheer horror unleashed upon the world.

yeah. same now. it has its issues but none of those issues are hives of nazis or weird assholes., when they popup everyone unites for 10 minuets to poo poo on them and mock them until they get mad enough to "out" themselves and then they are banned. too many sites don't even try to do that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

After The War posted:

My SO was involved in the decision to dis-invite Baen Book's publisher as Editor Guest of Honor from this year's Worldcon for refusing to moderate the house forums that have been taken over by Nazis. SA has been our go-to example that moderation is possible on a forum platform.

Follow that story if you want to see renowned sci-fi authors make total asses of themselves!

Considering that Baen Books' stable of authors pretty much span the political gamut from far-right to outright neo-Nazi that doesn't surprise me at all. I always found it funny that like their one non-right author (Eric Flint) is also an outright communist.

Robert, Baen Books might be a good topic for a future episode, I'm sure they were responsible for turning a LOT of nerds to the far-right in the 80s and 90s, and could work as a way to talk about the absurd right-wing extremism of the standard military-SF/space opera genre in general.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
This is the thing that kept me at SA one I finally got here (I was not a fan in 1999 or so when the jerk quotient was pretty high). Even on somewhat serious sports boards full of phds, the discourse readily turned to garbage without the little 10 dollar hurdle you had to jump.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

citybeatnik posted:

I'm a little behind and just now starting the Manosphere episode but holy crap Robert talking about all the near misses he had about being brought in to that poo poo hits home.

Terminally online me was about the same age as him and if it wasn't for all the MUDS and MUSHes i stumbled in to gently caress if i know what'd have happened.

one thousand percent agreeing with this, right down to the "MUSHes kept me from being too much of a dick because there were a bunch of girls there"

granted, mid-to-late-90s World of Darkness MU*s absolutely had their own set of issues and insane people

I think "you're pretending to be a werewolf incorrectly and it makes me think you must be crazy so that makes it perfectly reasonable for me to call CPS and try to get your kids taken away; I am very smart and reasonable" is still my high bar for Online Batshittery

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think "you're pretending to be a werewolf incorrectly and it makes me think you must be crazy so that makes it perfectly reasonable for me to call CPS and try to get your kids taken away; I am very smart and reasonable" is still my high bar for Online Batshittery

Is there more to this story or is that pretty much it?

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

GunFondler42069 posted:

I read something awful from the very beginning. It took years before I subscribed to the forum, though, and it loving scared me back then.
I remember seeing threads were people were mocked for saying they wouldn't want to shoot a burglar and make sure he was dead.
Others were ironically admiring some lunatic who had shot a teenager dead who had keyed his BMW.
Even later with the Iraq war I couldn't believe how many people were for it, I remember even zack parson writing he was against it and Lowtax was a bit more to the right, but that maybe everyone could have a balanced opinion and watch CNN as well as FOX.

Things like that made me visit these forums (or fora, as Robert calls them) very selectively.
It changed a lot, probably because the right wingers left for more extreme hangouts. which was a positive thing for this place, but on the other hand, the impressionable kids dropped in the chans or at the mercy of youtube algorithms are less likely to come out somewhat sane on the other end.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Grand Fromage posted:

Is there more to this story or is that pretty much it?

AFAIK that's pretty much it; CPS got called, CPS realized they had been called by a crazy person, CPS went away, leaving behind a significantly traumatized lady whose husband wanted to know why in the gently caress their wife's hobby had social workers showing up at their home and a bunch of bystanders going 'wait they did whaaaaat?"

But that was enough for me to never forget it

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I got lucky in that my first online community was a bunch of nerds talking about fighting games and the obscure corner of Usenet that was devoted to crossover fanfiction between them. There were some real winners in there, but none of them were even fascist-adjacent.

Fast-forward a couple of years and the community was much more about those nerds than the ostensible topic. I didn't end up on SA until much later, when a buddy (shout-out to David "hermanos" Brothers, ex-BSS mod) told me that it was worth the $10.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I fell into niche sprite comic message boards in the early aughts before finding RPG spaces and being convinced to join SA specifically because it a space where I could call someone an rear end in a top hat when I thought they were being an rear end in a top hat, and I was finally old and confident enough to see the appeal of that.

Also I'm lowkey enjoying the "how did I learn my online literacy / not become a fascist" origin story chat

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

AFAIK that's pretty much it; CPS got called, CPS realized they had been called by a crazy person, CPS went away, leaving behind a significantly traumatized lady whose husband wanted to know why in the gently caress their wife's hobby had social workers showing up at their home and a bunch of bystanders going 'wait they did whaaaaat?"

But that was enough for me to never forget it

that just makes me think of the old old Zombaby arc from SA history. looking back, i just feel bad for the mom because she and that poor horror she birthed were victims, the street preacher bastard father was the real piece of poo poo. basicaly, she was some evangelical kid who got seduced into a relationship with a loud rear end in a top hat evangelical with gelled hair. but the union resulted in a baby with Anencephaly so the poor thing was forced to be kept alive for an couple months. the blog was found by goons and they figured out the dads identity and he joined SA and it got fun.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 1, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Do you guys remember the goon from GBS who was like "Hey guys help me out me and my husband are basically living with our kids out of our car." and the goons were like... "Why?" and she was like "Well my husband doesnt feel like getting a job and spends all of my money on Star Wars action figures... gee you don't think that's a red flag, do ya?"

It was seriously one of the more insane stories ive seen unfold here

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Do you guys remember the goon from GBS who was like "Hey guys help me out me and my husband are basically living with our kids out of our car." and the goons were like... "Why?" and she was like "Well my husband doesnt feel like getting a job and spends all of my money on Star Wars action figures... gee you don't think that's a red flag, do ya?"

It was seriously one of the more insane stories ive seen unfold here

i never heard that one. i never followed the big SA stories, they are either before my time or i didnt follow.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1366504292203581452?s=21

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Oooooooooooh poo poo :getin:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Rush gave my dad terminal brain worms. I can't wait to hear this

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When you consider the consequences of the people he brainwormed and the politicians they put in office Rush is a contender for most destructive single person of the last 50 years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus. one long one or 3 parts? I am actually curious because my parents never listened to Rush so i only know some of his horribleness through stories, not first hand.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Grand Fromage posted:

When you consider the consequences of the people he brainwormed and the politicians they put in office Rush is a contender for most destructive single person of the last 50 years.

I'd probably put Roger Ailes ahead of him, since got a head start packaging the Southern Strategy for Nixon, platformed Rush early on, and ultimately built the full-color 24/7 Nightmare Machine we all take for granted today.

Seriously, every time I learn something new about him, I go "well fuckin' of COURSE it was Ailes."

Rush is pretty loving close, though.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus. one long one or 3 parts? I am actually curious because my parents never listened to Rush so i only know some of his horribleness through stories, not first hand.

my guess is two 90 minuters. Bob's been p loose about going over an hour for a while.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Grand Fromage posted:

It’s HW Bush, OP, and it’s not even a little close

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Oh holy poo poo on the guest!!!!!!!!

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s HW Bush, OP, and it’s not even a little close

How do you figure?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

How do you figure?

He had his hosed up sticky fingers in everything from JFK getting shot all the up through Bay of Pigs/Watergate and including absolutely everything that lead to the September 11th terrorist attacks, which allowed Cheney and Rumsfeld free reign to invade Iraq, start the war on terror, and that essentially takes us from 1960's-present day Bloated Imperialist Capital Leech that is the USA. The widespread ramifications of the stuff we can absolutely 100% trace back to him is insane enough, but then you have to factor in the bizarre negative space of Bush, like how he is basically the only adult in the US who didn't remember where they were when JFK was shot (Dallas he was in Dallas) and all it takes is just sitting down and making a little chronological timeline of Bush and his Skull & Bones homies and where they started (YALE oil royalty) and where they ended up (revitalizing and piloting the US Intelligence apparatus) and it's just, like, clear as day.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 2, 2021

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I can't believe Chelsea Manning is palling around with a CIA propaganda officer.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I know it's been mentioned, but is the Economist... aware of how their copy is getting read in the WYE ads? I'm not complaining, it makes me grin every time I hear it. Just surprised it hasn't been changed or pulled yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

finally listened to the sigma male video and the one thing that struck me about the videos was how similar they are to alot of the dumb rear end lore/theory videos i watch at times. just weird sounding europian dudes trying to sound academic and flowery like robert caro or david mccullough but talking about chaos daemons or why darth vade got a boner when he saw picture or some dumb poo poo like that. except this was about some dumb rear end poo poo about how "lonely is ok because actually your johnny silverhand or something.