Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

At the risk of trying too hard on something that isn't really important, I think there are many male-identifying people who try to desperately quantify all things, since they have been taught it is unmanly to be emotional/reflect on emotions, so this is the closest way they feel it is manly for them to deal with the sadness of isolation.

The idea that there are things that don't need to be and should not be put in some kind of a heirarchy, a quantifiable datasheet (or even something which says it is quantifiable) is an existential threat to being a heteronormative man, and so there is this urge to put a number value on all emotions.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

At the risk of trying to hard on something that isn't really important, I think there are many male-identifying people who try to desperately quantify all things, since they have been taught it is unmanly to be emotional/reflect on emotions, so this is the closest way they feel it is manly for them to deal with the sadness of isolation.

The idea that there are things that don't need to be and should not be put in some kind of a heirarchy, a quantifiable datasheet (or even something which says it is quantifiable) is an existential threat to being a heteronormative man, and so there is this urge to put a number value on all emotions.

And yet, mention pronouns and those same men will scream "Why do you have to make things so COMPLICATED?" or "You can't just create new categories for yourself!"

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AAAAAOMG PFT I’ve had such a crush on him since forever Omgomgomg

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Paul is one of the best guests I've ever had and I cannot overemphasize what a thoroughly pleasant person he is to work with.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
PFT is one of those guys where I was like “I kinda liked him in that show, he seems cool” and then you look up his IMDB and it’s like “oh you’ve actually low key formatively shaped my entire generations sense of humor”

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

GunFondler42069 posted:

Paul is one of the best guests I've ever had and I cannot overemphasize what a thoroughly pleasant person he is to work with.

Hey I'm in the market for a machete can you recommend one?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

If you want Gucci tier poo poo, buy a Kukri from Himalayan Imports.

Or you can get one from Cold Steel for $20-30.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

GunFondler42069 posted:

With all the negativity in the world, I love hearing about how people I'm already fan of are also nice people.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bust Rodd posted:

PFT is one of those guys where I was like “I kinda liked him in that show, he seems cool” and then you look up his IMDB and it’s like “oh you’ve actually low key formatively shaped my entire generations sense of humor”

Yeah there’s not like one thing I associate with him but he’s like this benevolent spirit of LA comedy who seems to know everyone and everything. I bet he’s been on more different podcasts or tv shows than anyone else and when he arrives at your show it’s a sign that you’re on the right path

To the point where he appeared on one of my very favorite shows playing an exaggerated version of himself who was kinda sinister by way of being excessively pleasant. (Everyone go watch You’re The Worst, it sounds like it would be about Rush Limbaugh based on the title but it’s much funnier and less soul-crushing)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
His run as Mr. Peanut Butter is absolutely Phil Hartman level voice work and he adds so much depth and dimension to some of the flattest characters ever written. Cant wait to listen to this!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Seriously PFT could guest on the McLaughlin Group and I’ll consider watching.

Also the episode brought back memories of my inexplicably conservative immigrant Rushbo loving father, and how it finally clicked in how anti-black Rush was...but as my father is African somehow that is different, so stanning him is logical and not at all a very confusing thing to contend with!!!!!

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Robert's remark about the Sacred Fence really struck me in this episode. As a foreigner, I was gripped by the Portland coverage on Twitter by Robert, Garrison and many others last summer, and the Sacred Fence meme was a big part of the comedic irony that kept the ongoing story of the police violence so surreal. I totally get how being the architect of that would feel both empowering and loving terrifying.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I suggest Ontario Knife Company machetes. They're very well made and last a very long time. Also the blade is a bit thicker than many stamped steel machetes, so it can handle heavier duty use too, like chopping trees down in addition to cutting through brush, and light splitting work.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

I'm a huge CRKT fan, so I recommend this in particular as probably my favorite store-bought machete:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CR3100/columbia-river-3100-mah-chete-machete-fixed-1075-carbon-blade-walnut-wood-handle-nylon-sheath

It's not stamped steel, so it is good for a variety of tasks. It's a bit softer than I tend to like, I've bent the tip on mine doing pry bar stuff, but it's great for brush clearing and honestly the best knife for batoning wood I've ever bought.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GunFondler42069 posted:

I'm a huge CRKT fan, so I recommend this in particular as probably my favorite store-bought machete:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CR3100/columbia-river-3100-mah-chete-machete-fixed-1075-carbon-blade-walnut-wood-handle-nylon-sheath

It's not stamped steel, so it is good for a variety of tasks. It's a bit softer than I tend to like, I've bent the tip on mine doing pry bar stuff, but it's great for brush clearing and honestly the best knife for batoning wood I've ever bought.

do you have a preferred brand of bolt cutters to recommend

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Knipex makes good poo poo.

Honestly I don't really use bolt cutters anymore since I got my battery-powered angle grinder. It is in my car with two batteries at all times. Motherfucker will saw through rebar and any kind of lock you care to try. Mine is a DeWalt, which is a solid mid-tier power tool brand. People who are handier than I tend to recommend Makita for just about everything, but DeWalt has been sufficient for my purposes so far.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m almost done with the second part of the Rush episode and holy poo poo he really is the father and progenitor of owning the libs and Fox News, which is directly responsible for Trump, which spawned Q, which now effects the entire world causing anti-vaccine and anti-government conservative sentiment to spread at an even greater unchecked rate

Holy poo poo what a bastard

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
When travel is permitted again I'm gonna piss on his grave

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

GunFondler42069 posted:

Knipex makes good poo poo.

Honestly I don't really use bolt cutters anymore since I got my battery-powered angle grinder. It is in my car with two batteries at all times. Motherfucker will saw through rebar and any kind of lock you care to try. Mine is a DeWalt, which is a solid mid-tier power tool brand. People who are handier than I tend to recommend Makita for just about everything, but DeWalt has been sufficient for my purposes so far.

was going to say this. Any time folks around here decide logging companies don't get to control access to public land, it's the battery powered grinder that comes out, not the bolt cutters or lockpicks. I have worked as a welder's helper in a previous life, and every single welding truck on the work sites would have Makita grinders. Granted, these were full powered, plug in style, but the fact they were the favored brand tends to reinforce what you say.
If you want to cut things faster, I think you're looking at rigs that are far more unwieldy, ie oxy-acetylene, plasma cutter, carbon electrode gouging, etc.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
Robert, just want to say again your research work is amazing and your delivery is impeccable.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I joined this thread late so maybe this is a dumb question but do people know his username here?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

I joined this thread late so maybe this is a dumb question but do people know his username here?

He’s been posting on this page. GunFondler69420. He was a lurker and a shitposter way back when under some other name but who gives a gently caress, as long as he wasn’t, like, Hakan or Bigpeeler.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

rotinaj posted:

He’s been posting on this page. GunFondler69420. He was a lurker and a shitposter way back when under some other name but who gives a gently caress, as long as he wasn’t, like, Hakan or Bigpeeler.

Oh lol I saw that person talk about bolt cutters but was a total dumbass and overlooked the posts about the show.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Jesus Christ, if "He Was Honestly And Solemnly Mourned By Nazis" isn't the most damning thing you can say about a person, I'm not sure what is. Good poo poo, Robert.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Robert, I have a really important question for you.

Will you rate my knife?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

PFT having to go get his knife was absolute gold.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Weird aside, Christopher Wong sounds too much like Austin Walker from Friends at the Table/Waypoint. It's making my head hurt.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m almost done with the second part of the Rush episode and holy poo poo he really is the father and progenitor of owning the libs and Fox News, which is directly responsible for Trump, which spawned Q, which now effects the entire world causing anti-vaccine and anti-government conservative sentiment to spread at an even greater unchecked rate

Holy poo poo what a bastard

I remember watching a couple of episodes of his tv show as a kid, and all I can remember of them was him hocking his line of dittohead ties (or whatever they were called), and when I remembered that his show was a thing years later, I assumed that it had failed because it didn't seem like it was on for long. I had no idea what it helped create.

I dodged a bullet there in that Rush didn't ensnare me, but I haven't been this mad listening to BtB in well, ever, because Rush definitely affected my dad.

In other words,

xtal posted:

When travel is permitted again I'm gonna poo poo on his grave

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Everett False posted:

PFT having to go get his knife was absolute gold.

100%. That's why I wanted to do some knifeposting. Everybody show off your knives and machetes!

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/1370125971840327684?s=20

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

rotinaj posted:

Robert, I have a really important question for you.

Will you rate my knife?

This is a lovely blade. It's fascinating, because the flat bronze backpiece is a feature you usually see on classic bowie knives, but this is not at all shaped like a traditional bowie. Very nice piece.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

People here might be interested that the Know Your Enemy podcast (which does deep dives on the history of American conservatism from a leftist perspective) also just released an hour and a half episode on Rush a day or two ago. It might be a good complement to this if anyone is dying (heh) to hear more about Rush, as their episode is less biographical and more about the connections between Rush and the "conservative intellectuals" and how the latter weren't really as different from the supposedly more crass type that Rush unleashed. They also made some interesting observations about the fairness doctrine and how its demise leading to Rush's rise is at least partially a retroactive justification, and how during the 80s some major conservatives like Phyllis Schlafly and Gingrich championed its use and it getting gutted by Reagan was less a vendetta against the doctrine specifically and more just part of Reagan's general deregulation ideology.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I have had Barack the Magic Negro stuck in my head and I realized that that isn’t even the magic negro trope goddamn I’m happy you are dead Rush.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If I had one criticism of these episodes it’s that you actually DON’T have to play a racist song verse in its entirety to drive the point home, and I had exactly enough time to formulate that thought as the song played, lol

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
It had a weird hateful Wesley Willis vibe and I think that’s why I’m singing it like that now

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8gHubY94rA
Wesley Willis was too sweet for this miserable earth

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish Wesley Willis had gotten a chance to headbutt Rush.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe that's part of Rush's punishment in Hell.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If Hell exists they gave Rush a microphone lol

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

GunFondler42069 posted:

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I loved these two episodes, Paul was such a great guest. I listen to CBB and Threedom a lot so having him on BTB was a real weird crossover event for me :D I hope he'll be back in the future!