Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I listened to Evans guesting on Michael Moore's podcast this afternoon. Lot of people in that episode's comments section arguing that Bellingcat is a CIA front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm impressed that Evans got through the entire Phyllis Schafly two-parter without ever mentioning her idiot son Andy, even if only to dunk on him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

Hearing the Phyllis Schafly episode, it makes me wonder: if you took one person out of the timeline "Looper" style, who would it be to fix the poo poo show we are in right now?

Probably Rupert Murdoch.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

"A bunch of people wanted to see Smashmouth more than they wanted to live and/or let the people around them live" is yet another fine chapter in the roiling boil of rejected Spy magazine pitches circa 1984 that is YOOL 2020.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

"The crack entered the chat and said, 'I've got ideas.'"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Vox Day has been a favorite dunk target for Sci-Fi Twitter for at least the last ten years or so, particularly given his bizarre one-sided feud with John Scalzi. His RationalWiki article is a delight.

I really do want to know more about this wife he theoretically has. My assumption has been that she's a crude effigy made from butter and a discarded mop.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I got lucky in that my first online community was a bunch of nerds talking about fighting games and the obscure corner of Usenet that was devoted to crossover fanfiction between them. There were some real winners in there, but none of them were even fascist-adjacent.

Fast-forward a couple of years and the community was much more about those nerds than the ostensible topic. I didn't end up on SA until much later, when a buddy (shout-out to David "hermanos" Brothers, ex-BSS mod) told me that it was worth the $10.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

bilperkins2 posted:

I'm not sure this is the proper place for this question but, having listened to probably hundreds of episodes of BtB, every episode I always think to myself which Bastard if, removed completely from existence, would have the greatest impact on the state of the world as it is today. Rush Limbaugh ranks pretty high in my opinion, maybe because it's so recent in my mind, or maybe Roy Cohn? Curious what others think (and Robert, too!)

Bust Rodd posted:

I just started thinking about how many gay people would still be alive if Nancy Regan were super into crystals or bonsai instead of astrology and palm reading and just became incredibly sad

One of my big takeaways from the Dollop two-parter on Reagan was that if you were to take Nancy's stepfather Loyal Davis out of the picture, a lot of the last 40 years changes dramatically. Davis is essentially responsible for the Reagans' right-wing radicalization, to the point where Ronald might not have pursued political ambitions at all without his influence.

Granted, you'd probably have ended up with HW Bush taking power eight years earlier, but for all of his CIA ratfuckery, HW Bush probably wouldn't have gotten in bed with the Moral Majority.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The fact that Henry Kissinger is still alive today is proof that necromancy exists. He drained stray years out of bombed Cambodians and now he'll outlive Keith Richards.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I have about a 50% hit rate on getting the Better Help ad from BtB, which is just one of many irritatingly consistent ways in which the universe is trying to get me to finally attend therapy

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

LMAO “I’m Robert a professional political
podcaster who works for an intelligence agency. I have nO iDeA who the most successful political podcasters on Earth are!” lmao suuuuure Bobby.

I feel like someone who truly matched the description you've given here wouldn't have resorted to asking Twitter randos to help him secure horse meat for personal consumption

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

If you're going to make the news crew suffer through another right-wing fantasy project, there is no reason not to swing for the fences and read John Ringo's Ghost.

"He collects hookers like cats!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wow, Sofiya Alexandra was in a mood for today's episode.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was not prepared for just how fucky things get at the start of episode 5 of Kissinger. I don't think preparation was possible.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

The podcast introduced me to the podcast Nonsense Bazarre and, wow does St. Germain keep popping up on it. His myth coming up is as established on that show as the CIA is with Bastards.

He ought to be. The real-world St. Germain was one of history's great grifters, and that was before the Theosophists glommed onto him and decided he was an ascended master. If you've got a conspiracy theory that involves 1700s European high society to any extent and St. Germain isn't in a prominent role, your conspiracy theory is flawed.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

teen witch posted:

Oh WOW I’ve always skipped that episode with him! Holy poo poo now I’m morbidly curious

RLM delisted it. I think it's still on their channel, but you used to only be able to find it by going way back in the BotW playlist. I also think it might've been reuploaded by fans since then.

The primary reason to watch that episode is because it's the one with Neil Breen's Double Down. Landis himself does have strong "invited himself to the show" energy.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id also like tarantino because as much as i LOVE his movies, he is also kinda of a weird prick though not a sex pest at all apparently.

I don't think you could get an entire episode out of Tarantino. The worst thing on his record is likely the car accident on the set of Kill Bill that left Uma Thurman with some permanent damage, and I believe even she's buried that hatchet at this point.

Dude mostly just sits around watching other people's movies.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

He did, by his own admission, know “enough to say something” about Harvey Weinstein. I don’t think that’s atypical for people in his position, but that doesn’t excuse him either.

Tarantino seems to have had the same problem as a few other people, such as Kevin Smith: he was so grateful to Weinstein for basically starting his career that it partially blinded him to Weinstein's depredations. It's another element of why Weinstein went unpunished for as long as he did.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Oh my god Prop stop rambling

Prop is smart, often insightful, and an overall decent guest, but if you were making rules for the official Behind the Bastards drinking game, one would have to be "Prop says 'you know what I'm sayin'?'" It would only be worth a single sip.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I got the same ad for "wealth protection kits" maybe six times over the course of both Jordan Peterson episodes last week. It was simultaneously very much on-brand for Evans' style of cheerful doomerism and an audible scam targeting scared boomers.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'd never really had a weird interaction with the iHeart ad algorithm until tonight, when the discussion of pedophilia in episode 5 of the Illuminati series immediately cut to an ad for children's shoes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

https://www.tumblr.com/alienfirst/695432544434470912/i-could-explain-this-but-instead-ill-just-say?source=share

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Remulak posted:

gently caress, if Robert gets much richer he’ll need to be a subject of his own show.

Or maybe pay his guests?

I could've sworn Evans said at some point that he does pay the guests. Was it in this thread?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Everett False posted:

The very first podcast I ever listened to was a weeb podcast back in 2005 (I was 15 lmao) and I only listened because they had an interview with R.K. Milholland and I was really into webcomics. I feel like I've come full-circle, somehow.

One of the fun things about R.K. Milholland is that his voice and occupation say "middle-aged college professor," but the dude himself looks like a shaved bear. I was shocked to meet him at a comic convention a few years ago, because I thought at first he was the real Milholland's bodyguard.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I keep getting ads for this "Full House" rewatch podcast and it sounds like something they'd make me listen to in Hell.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Wim Hof falls into a particular weak spot in modern journalism. He was made to provide filler for the AP news wire, and is utterly remarkable at any other time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Snuffman posted:

What was the not-game that SBF was addicted to? All I can find is League of Legends, and the idea that SBF was ripping off people while playing cookie-clicker makes me smile.

Storytime Battles?

That's a story in itself.

Storybook Brawl was a card-based auto-battler where you play as a bunch of public-domain fantasy characters. It was created by three guys who all used to be professional Magic: The Gathering players and a former lead designer on Hearthstone, and it was actually a lot of fun. It was free to play and in early access on Steam. You'd set up a bunch of cards and mechanics, then watch them slam into the other player's lines like a Rube Goldberg machine.

It apparently got its hooks so deep into SBF that he had FTX buy it and roll it up into their newly-announced gaming vertical. That immediately ruined the game's reputation; I watched its review average on Steam tank over the course of a single afternoon, particularly after at least one of the original designers went on Twitter to toe the FTX company line. It went from one of the most promising new indies of 2022 to eating dirt, and they shut down its servers in May of this year.

Edit: I guess if you ever played Storybook Brawl, that anecdote from Lewis does get a little funnier, because it is not a game that demands an intense clarity of focus.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean we’re talking about a guy who thought he could outsmart cancer

If I was gonna make a list of the moments in the last 30 years or so which would make for a decent Harry Turtledove-esque alternate history branch point, "Steve Jobs decides he can beat pancreatic cancer with a juice cleanse" wouldn't be at the top of the list, but it would be on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

Friend of the show SBF got 25 years today. Surprised it wasn't longer, because few things get your poo poo ruined like messing with rich people's money.

I'd imagine he'd have gotten longer if the judge wasn't 79 god drat years old. I've heard a lot of horror stories out of Silicon Valley where the first hurdle in any trial is having to explain the actual issue to the gerontocratic mummy on the bench, so I was half-expecting SBF to only get a slap on the wrist.