Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
This is the thing that kept me at SA one I finally got here (I was not a fan in 1999 or so when the jerk quotient was pretty high). Even on somewhat serious sports boards full of phds, the discourse readily turned to garbage without the little 10 dollar hurdle you had to jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

GunFondler42069 posted:

What little I understand of NFTs is extremely frustrating. I think crypto is...slightly less frustrating? Mainly because I think some of the early minds behind cryptocurrency had good intentions. I don't understand any of it very well, and particularly when it comes to NFTs I'm not sure where to begin with my research.

Recent events on Twitter have convinced me it's finally time to get the Kissinger episodes out. I've been daunted by the task for a while. Just covering the genocide in Bangladesh adequately could take two episodes.

I think you may have some difficulty finding a single person with an entertaining story to focus on for it. McAfee would be the closest and he was already covered.

It's bad news though. If bitcoin got to a million dollars like McAfee wanted it would consume more energy than the US. NFTs are just a grift to tempt artists who can't afford it into cryptocurrency. Think wall street bets, but with more energy wasted.

https://davidgerard.co.uk/blockchain/2021/03/11/nfts-crypto-grifters-try-to-scam-artists-again/

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Shinji2015 posted:

An episode on terrible political cartoonists could be pretty interesting. I don't think Garrison or Adams could fill an episode, but throw in someone like Lester and maybe you have one!

The problem with doing an episode on cartoonists is how much time you could end up spending on describing a cartoon that the audience can't see.

How lame is it when Alex Jones spends a bunch of time talking about a meme he printed out and framed but you can't see so he just crappily describes it?

The difference could be if there are enough cartoonists with real world lovely elements to their lives like Bruce Tinsley's drunk driving.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

teen witch posted:

Holy poo poo I did NOT know this

Oh yeah, he's a regular Michael Crichton.

But there maybe isn't enough on just Bruce Tinsley (or Michael Crichton) for a full episode... But if you could string together a few more lovely people then maybe.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Grand Fromage posted:

The episode title is so stupid I'm skipping it to avoid doing psychic damage. Robert's asides about Rome that I remember are very much in the "I read a very outdated pop history once" realm.

I wonder what he's talking about it can't be that-OH GOD IS TOO SPICY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 18, 2022

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

rotinaj posted:

My favorite podcast ads are the one where two people come on, say how they are good friends with a great chemistry that they just had to bring to a podcast, and now they are going to talk culture, politics, pop culture, Hollywood, and whatever else comes up.

And then they laugh and end the ad without ever giving me a reason to care unless i already knew them or liked their voices

I have heard an infinite amount of boring dude podcasts like that, but there have been a lot more of those with two women in the past few years, especially who bonded over true crime, and now, the ones i hear the most are targeting a minority group

Did i say favorite, i mean i fuckin hate those ads

Imagine this but it's an ad for "Rudy Giuliani's Common sense"

"Rudy Giuliani gives insight on leadership, courage and the most pressing issues of our time."

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

rotinaj posted:

I’d rather not

The only podcast i would listen to from an old man who has vaguely fashy beliefs called common sense is dan carlin’s common sense

And i havent listened to him since like 2020, i hope he didnt go nuts

Are you trolling or did you not hear the whole "silver linings to the Holocaust" thing at the end of "Supernova in the Pacific"?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

I thought he was leaning into it with all the gun/knife chat. The venn diagram of people with large knife collections and people who think going off the gold standard was a big problem is not two disjoint circles.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

goatsestretchgoals posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine Kermit the frog hooking you up to a dick sucking machine. Uh…forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaNbXguzDCU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Zugzwang posted:

His book on the pandemic and the CDC (The Premonition) was a real banger. He even made outstanding short audiobooks on seemingly mundane topics like weather forecasting (The Coming Storm) and youth sports (Playing to Win). Alas.

So I think if you go back and reread "The Premonition" you might find some disturbing things.

Specially, one of the heroes of the book, Charity Dean, was (from the books perspective) cruelly cast aside by Governor Gavin Newsome for the "monstrously incompetent" Sonia Angell, because Dean was white and blonde, and Angell was not.

In general Michael Lewis is a very engaging writer who knows how to make real life read like a movie script. But life is not really like that. In this case, I'm kind of surprised that Dr. Angell didn't sue Lewis for defamation.

Yes, there were things that got screwed up on her watch and she resigned for those in August 2020 (presemably also for other reasons given that it was August 2020). But "monstrously incompetent" is a high bar that was certainly reached by some people in the pandemic, and in the midst of racial accusations, it's... yeah.