Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I was both confused and alarmed when I fired up Worst Year Ever today only to be informed that it's being brought to me by a one Michael loving Bloomberg. UGH

Is there seriously no way for an individual show on the network to opt out of specific ads served up to them by IHeartMedia? Talk about bad optics...if only he could hear them saying what they really think about his old lovely rear end.

e: loved the episode though! :)

timp fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So funny, personally I just started playing Vermintine II at the request of a friend for online co-op and, coupled with our newfound situation, I’ve never been more ready to take that dive with Robert if he so chooses :pray:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was about to absolutely tear into the Jim Bakker episode on Tuesday when it occurred to me that this would be the perfect time to get my wife into this podcast. We both grew up in Fort Mill, SC, home of the Bakker's Heritage USA

I don't know many details of The Legend of Jim and Tammy Fae Bakker though so this should be a real treat. Though I do have fond memories of going to the Bakker's water park as a kid in the 90's, but I remember thinking it was weird that 2-piece bathing suits were prohibited. Now Heritage is a true Defunctland success story* and there's rumors about homeless people falling down the elevator shafts of some of the giant abandoned hotels there.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/religion/article205362719.html

*okay so it hasn't been covered by Defunctland but it totally should/could.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bored As gently caress posted:

It truly is the worst loving year ever.

It's honestly laughable how loving borked 2020 has been. I'm just glad there are outlets that can combine coverage of all of it with a little bit of goddamn levity like WYE, Some More News, Last Week Tonight, the LOL at Trump thread, etc

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

teen witch posted:

angry white men as a demographic

Robert already did that one; it was called "It Could Happen Here"

:smug:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BigDave posted:

Dyaln Roof himself might make a good episode, his full name is Dylan Storm Roof, and his mom named him after some soap opera character.

Robert has repeatedly said that the bastards he features have to be impressive in some way and there's absolutely nothing impressive about a pencil necked little poo poo picking up a gun and firing into a church hall full of unsuspecting people.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

I think that’s just iOS’s ap being trash. It does it for any iHeart cast but I’ve never had it happen with any others.

Agreed; I haven’t listened to this Ep yet but I get that occasionally during iHeart podcasts as well. I think it’s like an editing gaffe on their side.

It’s slightly annoying but as someone who regularly edits a podcast I couldn’t imagine doing 2 a week like they do so I give them a pass :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Can anyone who listened to this weeks episode of WYE tell me if the title is referring to a pro-RBG episode or an anti-RBG ep? I’m a fan of the show but really don’t have time for anyone celebrating RBG or the SC.

Both. At the beginning is Cody and Robert joking around, but then the next 10-15 minutes is Sophie and Katy talking about how much of an inspiration she was for women everywhere and getting choked up. Then they take an ad break, come back, and say they talked about cutting the beginning where they were joking and decided not to, mostly thanks to Robert it seems. Then they’re pretty critical for the rest of the episode.

I think it was a fairly appropriate split of reverence and reality, though I will admit at being a bit put off by some of the language used by Sophie to describe RBG. I don’t blame her though; I think my own personal judgement is clouded a bit by the situation. It’s my problem, not hers.

TBH, for you, I’d probably recommend skipping the first 20 minutes or so.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"We are ruled by an incestuous warren of demons."

Holy poo poo that stopped me dead in my tracks, I'm still laughing about it now. Is that from something or a Robert Evans original?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sooooo I guess the latest Ben Shapiro book reading episode was recorded before Jan. 6? There's a line that's something like "He knew that the media would never label a woman an insurrectionist" and I was like :stare: just waiting for them to laugh at how history had proven the little poo poo wrong yet again. But there was no comment. drat shame!

Love these Ben Shapiro's Terrible Novel readalongs and I'll be sad when the book is finished!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GunFondler42069 posted:

my daily wear has become pajamas and a leather cowboy hat because who the gently caress is going to judge me in 2021

Christ you really are from Texas :D

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oooooooooooh poo poo :getin:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i just wanted to say i love the kellog episode. i like anything to deal with weird religious types that are part of the various awakening movements in the US. id love to see you do one on Joseph Franklin Rutherford because he basicaly took over a harmless bible study club and turned it into the Jehovah witnesses and made all the insane and bad poo poo thats part of that faith cornerstones of it.

Same, love the guest and the subject. Haven't played Part 2 yet but Part 1 was a delight. My only knowledge of Kellogg before this was an episode of Drunk History which does depict his weird sanatarium and a feud with his brother, but not all the, uhm, other stuff.

But god. Thinking of some stuffy well-to-do 1800's socialite paying for the right to have FOUR GALLONS A MINUTE of water pumped up their rear end for their health gives me the goddamn giggles, I'll tell ya what. The sounds they must have made!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Aw gently caress. Sorry, man. I'll be thinking about you.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hraathgar posted:

I've been listening to these episodes and are were sure that Kissinger isn't a lich? . . . Seems like a Lwizard to me.

Theeere we go :)

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

rotinaj posted:

Ulillillia, the guy who was really obsessed with bubsy

I, like Robert, followed CWC when the fandom around her started, and I kept up intermittently, but between realizing that kiwifarms was ultra toxic and hell dump was also ultra toxic, I made myself stop reading those sites/forums

Probably for the best

Helldump felt a little better imo because it was goon-on-goon callouts, and if you didn't like what someone said you could potentially turn the tables or just ignore them/leave the forums altogether (but most chose to engage and dig themselves into deeper holes instead). But yeah, ultimately the world is better off without it I think.

Grand Fromage posted:

I never followed the Ulillillia story either, but I got the impression that was the following outsider art type of thing rather than harassing him.

I started out "marveling" at Ulillillia (to use one of Robert's terms from these last few CWC episodes) but once he got on Facebook and started accepting friend requests there, he graduated to full-blown friend territory in my book. I legitimately enjoy reading updates on his life (he just moved cross-country!), and he wishes me a happy birthday every year :3: The world could use more people like Ulillillia.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really enjoying these recent episodes on some of the Bastards of Hollywood that we've been getting. Combine protestant white male entitlement with wealth and public adoration and you're bound to produce a sizeable percentage of monsters to decent people. Like I knew John Wayne sucked for some of his political views but it was amusing to hear that he was also a lazy drunk piece of poo poo from day to day as well. And John Landis...absolutely gently caress that guy. I've heard a lot of episodes of this show, but that story (you know the one) is probably the most horrified I've ever been during a listen. He should STILL be in jail.

So now we've heard about Hitchcock (another great series of episodes), Steven Seagal, Weinstein, John Wayne and John Landis...who else is a Hollywood Bastard? Keeping in mind of course that a good Bastard is of course evil, but has also accomplished something that could be seen as impressive or difficult in a vacuum (like being a good actor or making an occasional good movie here or there)

The parts I enjoy the most are stories about on set behavior. I've heard stories about Chevy Chase being hard to work with but I'm sure there are much better candidates than he

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what was the hitchcock one about? i remember reading about him being kinda of hosed up prankster prince type dude and he was loving terrified of cops(like a genuin phobia) and being insanely demanding, like poo poo they accuse kubrick of.

Yeah pretty much this. It's been a while since I listened but as an example one time he left one of his actors chained up on set overnight, pretending like everyone forgot about him. And yeah, definitely lots of that Kubrick-style "my vision is more important than people's safety" attitude. As recapped in Part 1 of the Landis ep, pretty much everything you see in The Birds is actually happening; he had handlers just throw cages and cages of birds on the actors and they were getting pecked and clawed during every take, sometimes for days at a time until Hitchcock was satisfied they got the shot

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Testekill posted:

We got another Alex Jones episode, this time with Dan & Jordan from Knowledge Fight.

Loved this one btw :)

Robert mentioning Ben Garrison today made me think he could make for a good episode. Although I'm sure he's not terribly impressive or interesting, his comics are rife for ridicule (also of course you'll want to be sure to mention the cum edits)

And then thinking about that rear end in a top hat made me realize there's a much better cartoonist target: Scott Adams. Now that would make for a good episode. What the gently caress happened to Dilbert's Dad to make him such a fuckwit?? I'd love to hear that story covered by Robert

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Phetz posted:

If you want more Matt Lieb I highly recommend the Frotcast. Also I’m very excited for his upcoming The Wire rewatch podcast.

Seconding; after he guested on the Harlon Carter episodes I decided to check out Pod Yourself A Gun since I've been watching The Sopranos for the first time with my wife (other than a few half-remembered scenes caught over parents and roommates' shoulders) Matt Lieb and Vincent Mancini are the perfect blend of insightfulness + being a dumb idiot for me, and they generally have very funny and thoughtful guests on.

I haven't dipped into the Frotcast yet but I'm thinking once I finally catch up on PYAG I might just become a regular frotcast listener so I can keep my Lieb and Mancini intake up

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zeniel posted:

Why not both? I've had "start your own podcast" ads done by true crime podcasters.

Let's crowdfund a PSA to run immediately after that ad asking people to please NOT start their own true crime podcast. We have enough thanks

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Everett False posted:

I am attaching lollipops to these and passing them out to the other posters in this thread.

https://twitter.com/mallorywarrix/status/1623815497031581696

I love them and I wish there was even one single solitary person in my life I could give them to that would appreciate them

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AceOfFlames posted:

Holy poo poo Vince gets a SIX parter.

Only 4 minutes in and I'm already SO hyped for this series. Even just the fact that Robert announced he was going to cover Vince was reported on as a news story :stare:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really enjoyed Robert setting the American wrestling stage and explaining how there's a rich history of lovely promoters doing everything they can to promote their show, even (especially) at the expense of their performers.

Also who tf knew Seanbaby had such impressive wrestling bona fides??

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo today’s BTB ended with Robert reading a Lasik ad except it was somehow sped up and pitched sightly higher and he sounded exactly like Ben Shapiro

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1760538272810361324

the iheart ads are unbearable but they keep Robert and his buds employed and boost cool podcasts

A+ podcast name and album art. One of the few, few times I heard an ad for a podcast on another podcast and was convinced to actually check it out for a change.

Also I still have a bit of Part 4 left to get through but I've really enjoyed the Robert E. Lee episodes. I had no idea how Pence-ish he was! Still lolling at the fact that he screamed "TOO BAD! TOO BAD! TOO BAD!" like loving Wario after losing his last battle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Since we've been in the habit of discussing guests in this thread lately this doctor guy Robert's talking to for this two-parter on fake doctors has done a good job. His name is Dr. Kaveh Hoda and he has his own podcast which probably explains how he's able to navigate being a guest fairly well (and how he got tapped for the show I'd assume). It also sounded like he listens to BtB regularly and I think that helps a lot.

This is his podcast, I might check it out https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-house-of-pod/id1225096382