Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Is it acceptable to discuss Worst Year Ever here? I listened to the recent episode on Qanon and the guest was supposedly an expert on aum shinrikyo. She was supposed to connect it to Qanon but overall the guest felt like a real dud, for some reason she seemed uninterested in discussing her work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
So i'm a little behind but I listened to the first chapter of Evans' novel and it was fun but oh man somebody's been playing or reading some Shadowrun.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 18, 2021

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Lobster God posted:

I enjoyed it, but was amazed that Robert of all people would be that optimistic about the future of the UK

I think he said he wrote it around 2016 maybe so that could explain it.

England is turbofucked, tho

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

7seven7 posted:

Oh yeah, we're hosed. Over a decade of an austerity driven Tory government, forty years of Murdoch dominated press, half a century of cuts to our health and education systems, all culminating in the election of a populist Trump-lite during a global pandemic, an encroaching recession, and the utter clusterfuck that is Brexit.

I haven't listened to the first chapter yet, but yeah we're omnifucked.

The first chapter is fun, give it a listen!

Fwiw its not like England has half a billion guns like the US does, so I guess thats something?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's the part where he's pro US intervention. Like when he supported the coup against Evo Morales.

Uhhh citations please?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Hey Robert, condolences man. That sucks, wish you the best.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s HW Bush, OP, and it’s not even a little close

How do you figure?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

GunFondler42069 posted:

Paul is one of the best guests I've ever had and I cannot overemphasize what a thoroughly pleasant person he is to work with.

Hey I'm in the market for a machete can you recommend one?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

GunFondler42069 posted:

I'm a huge CRKT fan, so I recommend this in particular as probably my favorite store-bought machete:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CR3100/columbia-river-3100-mah-chete-machete-fixed-1075-carbon-blade-walnut-wood-handle-nylon-sheath

It's not stamped steel, so it is good for a variety of tasks. It's a bit softer than I tend to like, I've bent the tip on mine doing pry bar stuff, but it's great for brush clearing and honestly the best knife for batoning wood I've ever bought.

Thank you.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Anyway, it was a good episode overall and I enjoyed it, but it's a real good tangible example of something that's been gnawing at me while listening to him for a while

I don't know if I agree with you but its reasonable criticism, though I would suspect it was more than likely an off-the-cuff remark in an effort to make parallels and argue that responsible journalism needs to be thoughtful of the power it possesses rather than an articulation of a deeply held belief in the centrality of Evans' role in the Portland protests.

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 14, 2021

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

teen witch posted:

Oh god can we talk about Stalin again please god

It always seemed hosed up and unfair to me that hitler got a mustache named after him but stalin did not.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
The Road to Wellville is a fun movie about Kellogg and weird health crazes.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Nick: imagine going to a bernie sanders town hall in blackface and asking him why we love doing crime so much
Stav: [cackles]
Me: this is too lore-heavy for me, I can't keep track of this complex web of relationships

I just like Stav's dumb laugh and it makes me laugh

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Everett False posted:

Robert has never dedicated a portion of the episode to describing a dove sunning itself in a garden, and I don't think there's ever been any meaningful integration of birdsong. It's always been the show's major flaw, but it felt rude to bring it up.

I'll say what we've all been thinking:

The man is right Robert

Do it you coward

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 23, 2021

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Holy poo poo this person who is the guest on the Phyllis Schafley episode is both incredibly unfunny and wildly uninformed. It sucks real bad.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I like Matt Lieb because he makes me laugh when he talks about loving a big mouth billy bass.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Phetz posted:

If you want more Matt Lieb I highly recommend the Frotcast. Also I’m very excited for his upcoming The Wire rewatch podcast.

I love the frotcast but the magic died when Ben the ear rapist died of cancer.
E: also when Brendan and Brett left to have kids. Also Vince hasn't been the same since he has been married and happy.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Is it cool to talk about when we think guests are bad as long as we don't reach out to the guest directly?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Nerobro posted:

Hunting someone down, who has no connection to you, just to tell them "you suck" is... at best in very bad taste. At worst, borders into obsessive. It definitely shows issues with boundaries.

................... As someone who's had this happen to them. It sucks.

E: nevermind

lonelylikezoidberg fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 25, 2022

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Oh my god Prop stop rambling

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
I really liked My Year in Mensa but thought Ghost Church suffered comprehensively because Jamie Loftus couldn't get any actual recordings of anyone at the Spiritualist place in Florida.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Jamie Loftus is the best BtB guest.

Andre Ti and Matt Lieb are all right too.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
G Gordon Liddy is also namechecked in a Steely Dan song because Becker and Fagen got arrested in a raid he organized

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Glenn Howerton is the only man who can truly play g gordon liddy why did this not occur to anyone making those shows

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
So I was listening to the Dracula episode (lots of fun) but did I understand it correctly that "Robert Evans" is a pseudonym?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Prop you're probably a great hang but you're also really insufferable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Better Offline was fun but Zitron is not super good at working with a guest; he seems like he mostly wants to monologue and lecture.

That's fine! Just do that, you don't need another person.