Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Behind the Bastards has been my gateway podcast. I have 9-10 different pods now from week to week but it was sweet baby BtB that got me hooked. The WeWork episode was the one I’ve most recently really enjoyed.

I remember Robert saying in one of the earlier episodes I listened to that he won’t really focus on new wave right wing grifters like Ben Shapiro or Candace Owens so much because they’ve had a relatively small impact on the planet at large and that BtB wants to be focusing on people who have genuinely made the world a worse place by having existed in it despite only being a single human being. Like the episode about the Reagan’s psychic who may have engineered the AIDS epidemic, that sort of thing.

A Winston Churchill episode would be amazing, and I’ll just echo that your fraternity and chemistry with Billy Wayne Davis is just fantastic. I have a lot of love for your cracked/comedy family but BWD is the unofficial co-host of the show as far as I’m concerned, he’s certainly contributed the most machetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I wanna clarify that I just liked the Wohl episode because I felt like Robert/Katie/Cody have great chemistry but now that they have a whole podcast together I’d rather we spend more time with BWD or Sophie, she was great in the Holiday episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Anderson is an impossibly photogenic dog

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t watch TV or listen to the radio. The only media I consume is Hulu/Netflix/Podcasts and as a result I hear advertisements maybe 3-4 times a week at most unless they are playing publicly like the TV at a bar. I have no sense of what ads are playing when or where and I will never, ever go back to commercials.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 13, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The endless D&D nerdlinger component of Fascism is so funny (kinda).

I used to run a LARPing summer camp, it was basically improv theater and combat sports, and we had a really great run of about 10 years, 5 of which I was Executive Director. Starting around 2013-2014, a big chunk of our campers turned into HARDCORE milsim nerds and went deep into airsoft/paintball tacticool stuff, and at first I was turned off by the heavy emphasis on guns for kids, but figured it was mostly harmless... until they started showing up with increasingly more and more German equipment and costuming and eventually I had to have a big sit down with everyone in 2016 and explain “there is no ironic fascism. I didn’t train you all to be Nazis, and we have a lot of Jewish and POC campers who aren’t happy. It’s not that we don’t “get” the joke, it’s that it’s not a joke, it’s using comedy as a smokescreen to obfuscate hate speech.”

So when Robert basically wrote a book about that exact thing that’s when I knew “drat this dude knows what’s up” and I’m not REMOTELY surprised to discover he’s a WH40K Grog.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was a good episode but the Bloomberg ad really soured me, and after I listened to it I finally unfollowed Katy on Twitter because she literally won’t stop picking twitter fights over Bernie Bros. It’s crazy because I consider myself a fan of hers and have followed her work for years and never thought her to be fervent and unreasonable before but you can practically hear her ears turn off whenever anyone tries to suggest she’s off base. She’s just beating this weird war drum of “everything anyone says about Warren is 100% really about sexism” and there’s just no way to have a conversation with someone in that position. A shame. I hope future episodes of the three of them get back to a more interesting topics, I don’t know if I can take 8 more months of defending Warren and talking about online harrassment.

The furries story was like totally amazing, the VA gun episode was amazing, this Warren v Sanders stuff BLOWS. Today’s episode was fine, but it was 90% Ken talking so not really what I tune in for, informative though it may have been.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

terrorist ambulance posted:

The first 15 minutes are one person dominating the conversation to whine about their Twitter interactions and talk about how Bernie bros are too angry while claiming to have voted for Bernie anyways and then talking over anyone who tries to add in

It’s frustrating because it’s like, Katy maybe just log off? Like it’s obvious she can’t help but take every single attack personally, and I will never claim to understand what being a woman online means, but what really steamed me up was about 4-5 episodes ago, Cody was like “yes, I hear you, and ALSO every time I say or post anything about Bernie I am immediately called a disgusting sexist pig Bernie bro and I understand how awful and dehumanizing that can be” and she just goes “well it’s not the same!”.

I think it just feels more noticeable because it’s such a dramatic dip in quality from their other content. I know Sophie is busy having the world’s cutest dog but it’s kind of crazy to me how much of Katy’s actual “Bernie Bro” narrative stuff gets left in.

The hosed up thing is that this online interaction can literally only happen to you if you choose to engage with it. Like if you stay off Twitter, or simply mute your own tweets after you make them, then this toxicity simply doesn’t happen to you. No one in real life is walking up to you and making these comments, so if the online toxicity of Sanders vs Warren is seriously so denigrating that you have now spent over a month venting about it to your 75%+ Sanders supporters base, maybe just stop getting into twitter battles... at all?

I’m honestly leaving more of their content in the queue than normal, because sometimes I feel like Katy is, perhaps unknowingly, attacking her own audience while saying things we really disagree with and honestly saying things we just don’t think are true.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Scientology episodes are probably in the top 10 of the entire show really just unbelievable

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanks for all the content Robert! It’s really comforting having some laughs and some learnin’ while we’re all cooped up!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey Robert since you read this thread sometimes I would love to ask you and Cody and Katy how you all feel about starting a podcast called “Worst Year Ever” and then extinction level events occurring!

I’m just asking because Cody is has always sort of employed this incredible energy in his performance and readings because of clearly pent up rage and frustration. He’s always seemed like a drat about to burst, that’s part of his newsman ruffled collar charm, but he really lets the mask off in the last episode of Even More News and just openly weeps. I certainly wasn’t ready for it but it was a powerful island of humanity in this isolated time. The humor in your shows is very strong and almost never coming from a very “feelsy” kind of place but after listening to you all for years it was crazy how strong my response was, because you guys are my friends hanging out with me in my car all day, every day, while I’m at work.

I see now that as entertainers and educators and community leaders, the three of you called this shot from a long way off and now you’re all trying like hell to keep the ship from sinking and the content you folks put out is very valuable to me. Please stay safe and sane as best you can.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I am so diametrically opposed to Mark Cuban I instantly deleted the episode from my phone, there’s enough content out here already and Cuban is definitely more a part of the problem than the solution.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Robert’s thoughts on the matter from WYE this week really mirror my own.

I’m just not voting for Biden, which means I’m probably just skipping my first election in like 12 years.

I just won’t vote for anyone with allegations like Reade’s against them. That’s a morality barrier I can’t cross.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ben Shapiro is one of my favorite subset of CHUDS, the seminal “virgin until married” who insists on giving relationship and courtship advice, as though your parents didn’t basically offer your wife’s family a dowry to take their smol boi off their hands.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Third tweet like this I’ve seen today:

https://twitter.com/jennineak/status/1250399386703552514?s=21

Ain’t listened to it yet, what gives?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think complicity with the Israeli regime is a good thing. I’ll probably still give it a listen but BtB is usually getting lots of love on Twitter, this episode is the first time I’ve seen negative feedback since that weird episode they had about a surgeon and all kinds of trans stuff came up and Robert said “Transsexual” instead of Transgendered a bunch, but then he invited a trans person into the show to come correct him. Hopefully he’ll do an episode on Israel and have a Palestinian come on now.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 15, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It wouldn’t be out of place or out of character for Robert to pause and just stress that he is opposed to the Israeli occupation of Palestinian Territories and their open-air prison system is a reprehensible war crime. That would actually be, uh, pretty on brand and sort of the thing I’ve come to expect from him.

Edit: I’m not accusing him of anything one way or the other, but I’d be genuinely pretty shocked if Robert turned out to be an Israeli tankie. Like I said I’ll listen to the ep but yeah it’s just weird to see his pod get any form of criticism in my Uber-leftist Twitter bubble.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 15, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Look I was literally just asking what it was about. If a bunch of BtB’s Palestinian fans start posting about the pod like this my first instinct is to listen to POC and not immediately spring to Robert’s aid like a White Knight, I know he’s a good guy with a definitive progressive slant, but one of the earliest lessons I personally learned about US politics is 99% of the time if you like a politician or public figure you should double check their views on Israel because they are probably a stan, I was probably just having flashbacks to that. It wouldn’t shock me if a gun rights advocate who openly comps to prepperhood was a Zionist.

Also one of them mentions is that in America the word Nazi gets thrown around a lot and everyone understands that connotation, no need for an explanation. A lot of Palestinians have that connotation with IDF members that we as Americans do not. If Robert was like “I interviewed a Nazi” even if he spent the entire back half of the episode making fun of them it would still be weird and potentially very uncomfortable for listeners, and it seems like some Palestinian listers felt similarly triggered.

Roberts a good guy and great journalist but he’s made mistakes and bad calls before, it’s ok, relax lol like I said I’m still gonna listen to it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 15, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was just providing context by assuming some of the posters in this thread might be white US citizens and probably don’t have the horrible and graphic associations with IDF that the Palestinians do. People don’t immediately associate them with negativity in our country. If people come in immediately with “it’s a bad take and they are dumb for expressing that opinion” historically I’ve found listening to POC when they make claims like this is usually more beneficial than antagonistic.

Like I completely understand Robert goes on to explain that this dude sucks and is weird and a kook. I don’t think their issue is in representing them in a good light, the issue seems to be “why even interview someone who maybe participated in the Israeli POGROM... at all?”

Basically when non-white people tell me something upsets them, I try to listen first before allowing all of my biases to make judgments, even if I like the accused person, because sometimes I just do not understand where they are coming from because I’ve never been for example, a Palestinian refugee trying to escape from the horrors of occupation.

Also, sometimes if a bunch of people tell you a piece of content is upsetting, you actually DON’T have to listen to it before you form an opinion of it. In this case I still will, but you don’t have to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thank you supremely for that clarification and for all the good stuff you do. Going through my backlog and the child rape academy from Germany was one of the most hosed up things I have ever listened to but goddam if it wasn’t riveting.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hell yeah

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Has BtB done Ghengis Khan? He literally changed the landscape of human genetics through coordinated military rape campaigns, I feel like if Robert can squeeze an episode out of the Gipper’s Astrologist he can get an episode out of that.

The Regan fortune teller lady is one of my faves too because his guests end up siding with her when she was clearly taking advantage of sad and mentally ill people (like the President and his wife) but they just are like completely Ra Ra Ra around her girl boss energy. Deeply upsetting conclusion but still good content

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

AceOfFlames posted:

I got the impression it was just as much "gently caress Reagan" as "You go girl", imho.

Yeah I understand this sentiment, but she still contributes to the deaths of hundreds of Americans either way. Being adjacent to a shittier person doesn’t make you less of a lovely person, and if you’re a Grifter just parasitically hanging on to become wealthy and powerful, aren’t you just as complicit at that point?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Samovar posted:

I know, right?! His attitude towards Native Americans was sickening, even for the time...

Edit: Actually, there's an idea - people you would WANT to be able to like, but they're bastards because...

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For fans of Robert, he is currently live-tweeting from the Pro-Rona Rally in Salem

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1256610591864614912?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Happy Hedonist posted:

My step-son's father is upset we are not giving the little guy silver solution and we have refused to deliver him to his father for his weekends as a result. We are now awaiting a court case, in a county with a lovely hick judge, for denying visitation. gently caress Jim Bakker.

How the gently caress is this happening in 2020 that’s just loving insane

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1265517983524433923?s=21

Robert’s been coordinating and highlighting streams on his Twitter for the last day or so but basically Minneapolis is experiencing a great re-awakening of the 2019 BLM movement and we are seeing honest to god LA riots level of completely justified civil unrest. The name of George Floyd is murmured and whispered in the same breath as Emmet Till, and the videos of the protests are insane. They literally cut open the gate to the precinct parking lot and start smashing squad cars. The police say they don’t have the resources or manpower to arrest anyone so they tagging people with green ink and bailing.

It’s hosed up, gang

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1265535290078306304?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I learned to play the theme song on my guitar because singing it makes me feel less insane

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Robert’s streams have been PURE GAS but here’s a legendary bit

https://twitter.com/frankleeamish/status/1267362998013833221?s=21

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The first half of the Elon Musk episode is very good I’m excited to see how off the rails part two goes.

His childhood is way more hosed up than I really could’ve imagined and it’s clear Robert really feels bad for the kid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The problem with JWohl isn't JWohl, it's the weird black hole of literally zero consequences that JWohl exudes like a hosed up X-Men power. I literally cannot concieve of someone pulling the stunts Jacob has pulled and literally never being disciplined or facing any consequences whatsoever.

Like the punishment for scamming people on the stock market is... being told you can't do that anymore?

Accusing Mueller of Rape and bribing a woman to accuse him of rape gets you... nothing from anyone anywhere? Like even the FBI, where Mueller works, did anything about it?

Like Donald Trump i understand as being immune because he's the POTUS or whatever, but how is JWohl just so soaked in fish oil that nothing sticks to him?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean this sincerely when I say I’m glad you took the night off, if only because of how exhausting I’m sure this has all been. Portland’s been going through it!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Eat the cops

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not gonna lie, I don’t think I could stomach a podcast that was just “here’s the most hosed up stuff the cops ever did” because just headlines from Philly alone would make you cry.

I remember when I was in school in 2007, a big story broke out that this ‘hero’ cop from northwest Philly that had been assaulting a girl he’d met at the park for like 9 years, starting from when she was 14 to 23 until she finally committed suicide. That was one of Philly’s best cops.

Personally I think it’s probably easier to report on war criminals and genocidal dictators and their crimes, which are so massive that the mind bends trying to accommodate and house them. Cops commit lovely acts on a personal level, handpicking individual human lives to ruin, so any one episode of “bad cops” or whatever would probably hurt for more to listen to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well there are a non-zero number of people who trace the current COVID-19 deaths to the Trump Administration...and they believe that Steve Bannon used internet trolls to help Trump win the election... and those trolls came from 4chan... which is the run off of Something Awful...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
TCC has definitely ruined dozens of lives

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

someone is listening to robert

I don’t understand what this does better than any other missile

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Does it... fight other missiles?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I guess “a missile that causes fewer civilian casualties” is an Ok start for a better world

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m sorry but in general I really don’t think any Billionaire should be in charge of our country and Oprah is like kind of a cool person with an amazing back story but she’s also a cult leader with more media power than Rupert loving Murdoch, I’m sorry but I don’t trust her. Same poo poo with the Mark Cuban episode, no one has ever made a billion dollars by respecting the people who work for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Once in Philly I had this rich white friend who got issued a citation for Jaywalking while going for a morning jog in a quiet part of town. It was all he could talk about for the next 3 days. He kept saying “this is ILLEGAL” “I’m a LAWYER I know the LAW this is not how the LAW works!” and it was kinda bizarre to see this rich white adult who had thrown his entire career into the legal basket experience a cop just doing whatever for no reason and harassing someone who hadn’t done anything wrong.

My point is that for middle class white people, the idea that police might be corrupt or not perfectly following the rules as written seems like an anathema, so the idea that the govt would even print that list of graffiti offenses in the first place is a joke. They are the boss, there is no oversight, they can just do whatever because it’s no one’s job to stop them.