Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Rochallor posted:

I'm in Japan and I exclusively get ads for I Heart Radio shows, including, not infrequently, Behind the Bastards.

For a while I thought it was a long con joke that the ad breaks for products and services contained no ads for products or services, just other podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Generic American posted:

You don't know true suffering until you've gotten the "he never passes the rock" Geico ad twice in a row during the same break.

God I hated that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If it's listen to an ad or try to get the phone out of my pocket, turned on, and hit the skip button while driving, I'll listen to the ad. Even a Geico one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

blessed are the knifeholders for theirs is the kingdom of products

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Is it acceptable to discuss Worst Year Ever here? I listened to the recent episode on Qanon and the guest was supposedly an expert on aum shinrikyo. She was supposed to connect it to Qanon but overall the guest felt like a real dud, for some reason she seemed uninterested in discussing her work.

She kind of seemed offended to be asked questions about it, like everyone should already know the answer. I didn't think it was a good interview either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I either get no ads at all, ads for other podcasts, or ads for online therapy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm just surprised they didn't go into the weird grandma incest dream from Maps of Meaning.

Then again, it's the kind of thing so hard to slot in, it would require a segue clunkier than Robert's ad transitions. :v:

You know who won't gently caress your grandma?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A lot of the ads are loving hilarious and gross contrasted with the sort of content on BTB/WYE/Zeitgeist.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There was an Arriana Huffington one today about how if you're miserable you should just quit your job and do something that makes you happy!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can imagine another employer asking you to stop waving knives at guests while recording, so I get it.

The last school I taught at didn't mind me occasionally carrying around a sledgehammer to threaten students with. Same vibes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

head58 posted:

The ad for the Economist read by the WYE crew totally sounds like someone threatened to kill their loved ones unless they read this copy verbatim. It made my day.

I love it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had a few North Korean refugee friends when I lived in South Korea. North Korea defenders are a special kind of scumbag. I think I hate them more than any other type of tankie.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sadly, there is no cure for terminal C-SPAM.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GunFondler42069 posted:

thanks everybody

it's going to suck, obviously, but we're not in the worst position. my parents are teachers so my mom has healthcare. they are financially stable. so at least we're not dealing with bankruptcy and death

Having just lost a parent to cancer/covid, it indeed is going to suck. I hope it sucks as little as it can. I'm sure you got people but if you have questions best answered by a total internet stranger feel free to hit me up. I've gone through this recently enough I haven't forgotten anything yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I feel blessed by the internet gods that I only recognize one person on that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

I'm a little behind and just now starting the Manosphere episode but holy crap Robert talking about all the near misses he had about being brought in to that poo poo hits home.

Terminally online me was about the same age as him and if it wasn't for all the MUDS and MUSHes i stumbled in to gently caress if i know what'd have happened.

same. I can easily see an alternate path where I got into incel poo poo. Fortunately I got to college first and gained enough social skills to just be a normal loser instead of that type of loser.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey now D&D isn't all incels, that's where I got a lot of the kind of good mentoring exposure robert was talking about. First trans person I ever met, before I knew that was even a thing that existed, was in my online D&D groups

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GunFondler42069 posted:

yeah, SA was definitely a factor in my political radicalization, because I kept getting into arguments online over (initially) the Iraq war and gradually realized that the people arguing against me all had much better arguments

The Iraq war, posting, college, and the Daily Show were what finally broke me out of the conservative poo poo I'd been raised with. All that hit me right around the same time and I'm very happy I was open to it and became a better person.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think "you're pretending to be a werewolf incorrectly and it makes me think you must be crazy so that makes it perfectly reasonable for me to call CPS and try to get your kids taken away; I am very smart and reasonable" is still my high bar for Online Batshittery

Is there more to this story or is that pretty much it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

When you consider the consequences of the people he brainwormed and the politicians they put in office Rush is a contender for most destructive single person of the last 50 years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

xtal posted:

I could swear there was already an episode or segment about Kellogg. I don't know where else I learned this anti masturbatory rhetoric. I still sleep wearing boxing gloves.

There was an early Dollop about it, may have heard that one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sorry for your loss Robert.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

It’s always weird to hear complaints about the ads as someone listening from outside the US because all the ads I get are for other iHeart shows. I never get any of those sweet products and services* Robert wants me to have. Not even the Raytheon Knife Missile. :(

*Would a podcast be considered a “service”?

This was me for like two years, I thought it was a running joke that there were no products or services but just podcast ads.

Now they're running a Safe Auto ad which is the worst thing on Earth and I can't listen to the podcast unless I'm in a position to skip it, otherwise I'll die. And today there was a dick pill ad so Robert's finally arrived as a podcaster.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Is there a chapo bit you could recommend besides the Gorka ones?

I miss Gorka.

I pretty much just listen for the reading series, those are always funny.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My employment contract in China included a clause that I was not allowed to discuss my salary with anyone. I ignored that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stupid Sexy Orks

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Joke's on you, I put all my money into Star Citizen ships.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

poly and open-minded is a bear of a man

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

apatheticman posted:

Interactions like this make me embarrassed to read c-spam.

There's a way to fix that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

fishing with the fam posted:

I was thinking about giving Knowledge Fight a try after hearing the hosts on BtB, but was intimidated by the massive backlog of episodes. Can you just jump in any time and not be completely swamped by what I can only assume is an insane Alex Jones background history?

Yeah you don't have to listen to them all. I'm slowly making my way backwards.

You do want to catch all the Wacky Wednesday eps, they're named differently so they're easy to find. This is a playlist of the Project Camelot ones. https://www.podchaser.com/lists/project-camelot-saga-knowledge-fight-107a4XhxIo

Those you do want to start at the beginning. Even if you listen to no other Knowledge Fight those are worth the time, they are fuckin' hilarious. Do not google anything before listening.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Snowy posted:

I listened to maybe one full episode of knowledge fight, and while the hosts were fine, I realized I really don’t want to hear that much about Alex Jones

This is fair, I'd urge you to go listen to the Project Camelot series I linked though. There's no Alex Jones in there and every episode is gold.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hope they didn't tell Gary who the subject is and he doesn't realize until the third episode.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mrfart posted:

There was a bit of an awkward moment at the end where Anthony seems to subscribe to a theory that Biden pulled back out of Afghanistan to start a war in Ukraine or something?
I dunno, I don't listen to the dollop anymore, I don't know where he's at.

He's gone kinda nuts in that twitter left InfoWars direction. It's still good when it's historical but best to avoid episodes about more recent stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nah, Dave has a real nasty streak that Jordan lacks and drifts into a nutty conspiracy world that I think all the Alex Jones has pushed Jordan away from. Dave's got a brainworms thing going on that makes some Dollops hard to listen to now.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

I think I had heard Dave mention that China had been stockpiling Russian fertilizer for months ahead of the invasion, which would fit into his theory that the world governments knew about it ahead of time

And this is one of those things that doesn't require a conspiracy--everyone who wasn't a shill was pretty sure Putin was going to attack Ukraine sometime last year, wheat futures started reflecting that back in like October, India started building up export capacity, the whole agriculture world was prepping for it. The people who were caught offguard when it happened were the idiots believing Russian propaganda. World governments did know about it. Most of what the US said in the leadup turned out to be correct, they were clearly getting intelligence from inside the Russian government. Turning that into a conspiracy is stupid.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 23, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

Despite being on this site since 2005, I somehow didn’t know anything about Chris Chan aside from the name.

Pretty sure I’m worse off now. Though I guess that’s the Behind the Bastards guarantee.

I also had no idea about Chris Chan until vaguely hearing stuff when the Tucker Carlson story happened. Quite the ride.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Ulillillia, the guy who was really obsessed with bubsy

I, like Robert, followed CWC when the fandom around her started, and I kept up intermittently, but between realizing that kiwifarms was ultra toxic and hell dump was also ultra toxic, I made myself stop reading those sites/forums

Probably for the best

I never followed the Ulillillia story either, but I got the impression that was the following outsider art type of thing rather than harassing him.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not to the level of what happened to Chris Chan but yeah. There's a reason it was closed. Plenty of goons have unfortunately had to deal with real life harassment because of the forums, both in and out of Helldump.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The only one I remember following in great detail was the dollfucker. I think people were pretty good about don't touch the poop, but it was a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The episode title is so stupid I'm skipping it to avoid doing psychic damage. Robert's asides about Rome that I remember are very much in the "I read a very outdated pop history once" realm.