Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Everett False posted:

Every time someone mentions racist suffragettes and Sojourner Truth I remember how they edited her speech and get mad all over again.

What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

are going to call it "hey i told you so"

"Christ, I Wish You'd Listened"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

gh0stpinballa posted:

i think he's a left-liberal who means well but doesn't really understand how the US imperial apparatus works. i enjoyed his series about a possible 2nd US civil war very much.

That's weird because he's stated outright a whole bunch of times that he's an anarchist who thinks governments should be abolished. Admittedly I've only listened to about half the stuff he's put out but that doesn't really scream "left-liberal" to me.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 18, 2021

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
You're still dancing. "Telling" of what, exactly?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i remember when he flubbed a place close to me in some badly mangled way but the way its spelled, it can't really blame him.

"Natchitoches" Louisiana in (I think) the Bill Cooper episode stuck out to me, because the first time I drove through there I likewise assumed it was pronounced like it was spelled, but it's not because Louisiana.

Nack-uh-dish, for the record.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
If you're taking recommendations for topics I nominate the Dulles brothers.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
drat, Robert. Sorry for your loss - take care of yourself and your family.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Everybody shut up and ear your cumflakes.

Cornflakes, I mean cornflakes.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Why would anyone not just skip the commercials? I have no idea what Robert or any of the podcasts I listen to shill.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

that's more of an RPG issue than a (mostly but not exclusively) wargame like 40K

But yeah, you're thinking of F.A.T.A.L.

Or possibly RaHoWa

...Robert, do an episode about RaHoWa

You know, an episode ostensibly focused on Varg Vikernes would allow for a look at the connection between the far right and geekdom, and could cover a lot of ground.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Marsupial Ape posted:

This is why the Right always wins in the long run. Smug crabs in a barrel.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

:shrug:

Hey man he could of just said something like “I didn’t make those weird bad posts ten years ago and I don’t feel the need to answer for them” but instead he tried to defend it with a bunch of articles he didn’t vet very well (at all?)

I think when someone goes “well actually it was unclear whether or not there were rampaging bands of African mercenaries” that deserves a bit of pushback given the fact that there’s in fact no good evidence that there were rampaging bands of African mercenaries

And you could have not posted them in the first place but instead you did.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I didn’t though?

You're right on that, my mistake. It was some other tiresome participant in the circular firing squad trying to chase rep or something, I dunno.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

some plague rats posted:

What point are you trying to make? apart from reminding everyone how that impossibly stupid guy came into the thread for the podcast about the overwhelming evil of the billionaire class poisoning every level of society and claimed that the real reason things are bad is that leftists keep being rude

That it would be easier to fight that evil if we'd quit stomping on each others' dicks out of spite and pettiness.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

B33rChiller posted:

Post your insane BTB fanfic ITT

Isn't that what got the last thread locked?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grand Fromage posted:

I gotta at least know what he was claiming was the police state part. Sulla's proscriptions?

I was only half listening but I think it was the Urban Cohorts and the Vigiles under Augustus. The former because they removed the ability of the people to riot to resist unpopular laws and actions, and the Vigiles because they were eventually granted the ability to enter any home and report crimes they saw?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Marsupial Ape posted:

No, Robert said he considers the corruption of the Praetorian Guard as the beginning of the Roman police state.

Hah, I didn't realize I hadn't actually finished the episode. This is actually where the episode ends up in the last 20 minutes or so, yeah.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Twitter posted:

You’re unable to view this Tweet because this account owner limits who can view their Tweets.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zugzwang posted:

The Columbus series seemed to end abruptly. I know there was a whole lot more genocide and mayhem left to discuss, but instead the last thing Robert covered was Columbus’s deliberately writing down his route incorrectly so that nobody could intercept him/get in on the pillaging action for themselves.

Might there be a Part 3? I get a little frustrated when a topic gets more than two episodes without that being made clear at the start, because I like to listen to them all together.

The Kissinger 6-parter with the week's break in the middle was a downright painful wait.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

twerking on the railroad posted:

I thought he was leaning into it with all the gun/knife chat. The venn diagram of people with large knife collections and people who think going off the gold standard was a big problem is not two disjoint circles.

No, that's just Robert.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah, and he only got a two-parter.

I know that folks on places like this site use "number go up" sarcastically a lot, but it's true; evidently a huge percentage of our supposed leaders and luminaries are myopic twits obsessed with improving some metric in the short term, even if doing so will wreck the same metric in the long run.

It's literally one of the foundational examples of Goodhart's Law: "Every metric that becomes a target becomes a bad metric."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Peccadillo posted:

The Sad Oligarch trailer they put up on the feed seems good

For one thing, neat story, for two, the dude's very weird voice/accent gave me those asmr tingles

He sounds like an Australian who grew up in a dumpster in East london

I think Jake Hanrahan is a Brummie.

He's done a couple other podcasts. I liked Megacorp about how much Amazon sucks but I haven't listened to the others, Q Clearance and Popular Front.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Popular Front is his “main” podcast, it’s great if the description on the episode sounds interesting. Megacorp was also good but it seems to have died after season 1.

Yeah I think the intention is/was to cover a different corp each season. Maybe the research for each one just takes a lot of work and time to do right?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

Yeah the Better Help ad reads are a big :yikes: from me

I hope they're locked into a contract and can't stop until it expires, because if it's something they're willing to continue doing even after it became widely known what a lovely company Better Help is then I'd be very disappointed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm glad they've started noting how many parts a series will be in the description. I like listening to all of a multi-part episode in a row and it lets me know whether to wait a week to start it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm about halfway through the run and yeah, dude was an absolute goddamn mutant.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

FIX SIGNS posted:

Her books and music are also fantastic.

Just saying..

I've been absolutely entranced by the ICHH Book Club Sunday episodes recently where Margaret Killjoy has been reading from her punk-horror novella "The Lamb Shall Slaughter the Lion". Last two chapters this Sunday, can't wait!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The latest ICHH about secure messaging apps included a shout-out to D&D's Freep mock thread and one of its old titles: "there's always more and it's always worse."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
As is so often the case, the real bastard is capitalism.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The original, and it should be noted best, ending song to RotJ.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

swickles posted:

Not Topher, he is an angel. Also Kitty didn't say anything, so also an angel.

Your phrasing here made me nervous so I had to go check but Debra Jo Rupp is still alive. But in the process I found that she did indeed write the judge requesting leniency for Masterson, so that's worse.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

swickles posted:

Oh really? I read somewhere that she and Topher were the only two main cast not to do so, but guess it was mistaken.

I believe Laura Prepon didn't.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Wanderer posted:

If I was gonna make a list of the moments in the last 30 years or so which would make for a decent Harry Turtledove-esque alternate history branch point, "Steve Jobs decides he can beat pancreatic cancer with a juice cleanse" wouldn't be at the top of the list, but it would be on it.

It doesn't strike me as the kind of thing that would have a massive impact on the timeline, but half the fun of alternate history is spinning that kind of divergence from seemingly inconsequential changes.

Like yeah the tech industry might be bad in a slightly different way but there's no shortage of motherfuckers there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Warden posted:

I tried to listen to Margaret's Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff and chose the episode about snipers Lyudmila Pavlichenko and Simo Häyhä, but in giving background info to Häyhä, she gave her version of Finnish Civil War and it was not just full of factual mistakes, it was downright completely loving unhinged. And what's weird is that she actually lived here for several years. I stopped there, and haven't tried again.

It didn't help that her style of presenting didn't work for me at all.

Not having listened to the episode and knowing little about the war in question, would you mind going into a little detail about what was so weird and wrong about her version of the history?

This is pretty much just curiosity asking so if you can't be assed that's no problem at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Thanks!