Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

Tales of Goon Love:
"Microwave stepped out, won't you come in?"

cnut
May 3, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

lmao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:golfclap:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jolo posted:

I think I went too subtle on this one. It's part of the "Pumpkin Pilferers" series.

The gag is that she isn't pregnant. She's stealing a pumpkin by sticking it under her dress.

I remember when they announced the movie adaption of Pumpkin Pilfers. I was super disappointing when they hosed it up and completely changed the premise of the Originals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5mI407Uks4

jeromas
Aug 30, 2007

All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'.
College Slice

I didn't change the title.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Zarin posted:

There is, uh, a . . . disturbing amount of murder afoot in those "romance" novels.

I always said that there was something messed up about finding entertainment in Law & Order: SVU, but maybe it's me who is the weird one here :tinfoil:

They're romantic suspense, a popular sub-genre of romance. Romance can cross over into any genre, the central conflict just needs to be "will these two attractive people get together" and the answer has to be "yes." I prefer historical romances, which are basically for people who like the works of Jane Austen but wish Lizzie and Darcy would bone.

Has anybody posted this real one yet?

Here's a famous review of it, which is sadly more entertaining than the book.

jeromas
Aug 30, 2007

All full. Is that it? Naw, I don't think so. I think you're too scared to be eatin'.
College Slice
One more:

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Also, my wife and I stumbled across this one in a truck stop diner's free book section and were enthralled by the title's possibilities. Is the baby a secret? Does the baby secretly boot-scoot? Is there a terrible secret involving boot-scootin' here somewhere?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh man, secret babies

there's a lot of secret babies in Romanceland

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just saw this on twitter and wellp

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Lodin posted:

Ricky Gervais noooo

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Lodin posted:

My dad got me a copy with that cover when I was a kid.

Needless to say, I never read it because Bilbo looked like a total dork.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Wish I'd grown up with this version of the cover, not the dorky original (unedited) one.

gloom fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 28, 2019

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lodin posted:

"Starring Paul Sorvino as Bilbo"

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Pththya-lyi posted:

They're romantic suspense, a popular sub-genre of romance. Romance can cross over into any genre, the central conflict just needs to be "will these two attractive people get together" and the answer has to be "yes." I prefer historical romances, which are basically for people who like the works of Jane Austen but wish Lizzie and Darcy would bone.

That was pretty much the whole deal with a lot of people being all mad about Twilight. I mean, it was bad as a story and as an unhealthy misogynistic relationship and for whatever other reasons sure, but all in ways that are bog-standard for romance as a genre. It was just harder for a lot of people to ignore since they were really popular and crossed into the vampire/supernatural genre that horror fans and other nerdy types felt that they "owned."

gloom posted:

Wish I'd grown up with this cover, not the dorky original one.

I grew up with this cover! I even found a copy in a used bookstore out of nostalgia. But the corresponding Two Towers cover is just way too easy for romance edits.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

There are 18 books in the Pregnant Amish Widows series.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

nashona posted:

I feel like quonset huts are too technologically advanced for the Amish. Certainly takes a bit of the je ne sais quoi out of the whole "barnraising" thing.

Then again, I actually don't know a drat thing about the Amish, so maybe this whole post is in really poor taste and I should re-evaluate my life.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Zarin posted:

I feel like quonset huts are too technologically advanced for the Amish. Certainly takes a bit of the je ne sais quoi out of the whole "barnraising" thing.

Then again, I actually don't know a drat thing about the Amish, so maybe this whole post is in really poor taste and I should re-evaluate my life.

Quite a few of them have greenhouses made of plastics while still rocking the horse and buggy.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Having read the GBS thread, I'm pretty sure we're calling her "Tinytax" for reasons.

Not sure if we named the other kids, though, so it seems kinda awkward overall.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Pththya-lyi posted:

Has anybody posted this real one yet?

Here's a famous review of it, which is sadly more entertaining than the book.

Isn't there a whole subgenre of men protecting women who are unexpectedly / unknowingly / suddenly pregnant? I recall more examples being discussed the last time Pregnesia came up.

And it's intriguing that the central trope is a men protecting a baby that isn't his. Ties into a cuckold fetish? But then the authors are mainly women.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

nashona posted:

nashona posted:

nashona posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nonathlon posted:

Isn't there a whole subgenre of men protecting women who are unexpectedly / unknowingly / suddenly pregnant? I recall more examples being discussed the last time Pregnesia came up.

And it's intriguing that the central trope is a men protecting a baby that isn't his. Ties into a cuckold fetish? But then the authors are mainly women.

To me Ive always interpreted it as a sort of pure love that the readers aren't getting or dream of. A man who cares for you unconditionally despite any past behavior. The women in these books are in peril and reliant on the male protector to save them and their child not actively making men cuckolds.

Its why the "my partner is a good husband" genre of harlequin romance are the saddest to me.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Just LOL if you aren't already deeply enmeshed in the PregAmWidian fandom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You know I forgot to bring this up but a few years ago there was a scandal where one of these romance authors
was caught plagiarizing passages from peoples dissertations on things like north american weasel species and genuinely I wondered given the number of dissertations if someone has sneakily inserted random smutty paragraphs from romance novels into their dissertation on native american pottery techniques

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Barudak posted:

You know I forgot to bring this up but a few years ago there was a scandal where one of these romance authors
was caught plagiarizing passages from peoples dissertations on things like north american weasel species and genuinely I wondered given the number of dissertations if someone has sneakily inserted random smutty paragraphs from romance novels into their dissertation on native american pottery techniques

Hahaha, what?

"I need a huge pop of realism in my 'The Park Ranger's pregnant game warden' series...
Eh, nobody's going to read this 452 page dissertation on the ecosystem of the least weasels."

In the first sentence there, I thought you were going to bring up the fact a romance author was caught reusing parts of previous books, because one came out with a couple sentences that didn't make sense.

"What dreadful felixing!"
"If they became infelixate,"

the author had done a find and replace to change a character's name from Tim to Felix, and it didn't get proofread too well

I'm a bit hazy on the details, I just remember that from an old thread.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Barudak posted:

To me Ive always interpreted it as a sort of pure love that the readers aren't getting or dream of. A man who cares for you unconditionally despite any past behavior. The women in these books are in peril and reliant on the male protector to save them and their child not actively making men cuckolds.

It's this. Also, if the hero is not the baby's daddy, the baby daddy is either dead or a piece of poo poo, so the heroine isn't "guilty" when she attaches herself to the hero.

Barudak posted:

That was Cassie Edwards, who wrote a long series of terrible stereotype "Indian" romances. A romance novel blogger gave one of Edward's books to a friend as an example of a "bad" book, and the friend noticed that the passages about nature stuff were in a different style. She Googled the passages and the rest was history. Here's a whole series of blog posts about the controversy, if you're ready for a deep dive.

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Amish romance is a huge genre, and a big seller with conservative Christians of all sorts. WinCo, a Mormon-owned grocery chain, sells them at their checkout lines.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Amish romance is a huge genre, and a big seller with conservative Christians of all sorts. WinCo, a Mormon-owned grocery chain, sells them at their checkout lines.

What? WinCo is employee-owned. They make kind of a big deal out of that.

https://www.wincofoods.com/about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinCo_Foods

I don't recall ever seeing romance novels at checkout, but then again I'm not really the target audience.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What? WinCo is employee-owned. They make kind of a big deal out of that.

https://www.wincofoods.com/about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinCo_Foods

I don't recall ever seeing romance novels at checkout, but then again I'm not really the target audience.
Sorry, that was badly explained. The CEO was Mormon, IIRC, it's why they carry so much survivalist food.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

FactsAreUseless posted:

This thread's dying down a bit, so I'm going to share some photos of Harlequin romances I've taken at thrift stores lately. I'm leaving them in their full hi-res for ease of editing, so expect these to be huge if you click:

Tabletposting, so pretend I badly MSPainted a cover of babies doing the fusion dance.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

FactsAreUseless posted:

They're mostly written and read by evangelicals, and a lot of Amish people don't like them because the writers get all kinds of things wrong. No, people don't die in buggy accidents.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pththya-lyi posted:

They're mostly written and read by evangelicals, and a lot of Amish people don't like them because the writers get all kinds of things wrong. No, people don't die in buggy accidents.
Lmao that owns

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Margaret stared at the luddite's overalls, "Good Lord, are you raising a barn or just glad to see me?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Went briefly looking for thread material while out Xmas shopping...

I suppose they all classify as touchy-feely books under one definition or another...