Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I have a Patreon. Please consider signing up for it. It really helps me out moving forward.

Tony Hawk's Underground 2 is the 6th main installment in the Tony Hawk series of skateboarding games. While earlier entries in the series were based on completing a list of goals within a two-minute time limit (and the occasional competition), later games in the series would opt for a different mission structure. Now, levels became larger, and missions were taken on one at a time as you freely skated around looking for the next person to give you a goal.

THUG2 marries these two main concepts together. Like in the first three games, you start off each level with a list of objectives to complete how you see fit, but like in the last couple games, you are still not restricted to two minutes of play at a time. You can also find and switch to other characters found in the levels, who will unlock further challenges. On top of that, the game also introduces Classic Mode, which further evokes the structure of the earlier games. Here, you are skating around levels both new and old, time limit intact, to collect SKATE letters, hit high scores, find hidden tapes, and so on.

Then about half a year after THUG2 was released, an expanded upon version of the game was ported to the PlayStation Portable by Shaba Games. While mostly the same game, this version also includes 4 brand new levels.

So here I am, and I'm going to be doing everything I can, completing all goals and getting all gaps on the hardest difficulty.

For a little more info on skate culture and how THUG2's presentation is actually a pretty strong representation of it, please check out the introductory Part 0 episode!

Story Mode

Classic Mode

Maxing out my stats as much as possible before doing anything else in the game.

Special Level: Pro Skater

Also here's a playlist of some challenges and stuff I've been tackling in THPS1+2

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
A couple notes:

- If you like what you see, please consider showing your support by subscribing on YouTube, following me on Twitter, or checking me out on Twitch.

- I'm also doing a playthrough of the We Were Here Trilogy, a co-op puzzle/adventure games with my buddy P0LARMic.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 25, 2021

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Aw yeah we're finally doing this baby!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is one I actually didn't play! I had the first three and the original THUG (plus 4 on the Playstation One, which we don't talk about), but never made it past that before getting interested in the Skate series.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Awright, I was wondering when you'd start on THUG 2. The first LP was a fun watch, I am staying tuned.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I remember the last thread fondly. I hope to see a complete playthrough of this game again after the Last THUG 2 playthrough mysteriously self-destructed.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Huh. Watching the Boston level and I'm pretty sure I remember it a bit differently. Did the Remix version change any of the goals and levels or is my memory really faulty?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Man, I remember back when THUG 1 came out they had this commercial on tv and at the time I thought it was cool as heck. I remember somehow my mom managed to get her hands on the actual album (I still have no idea how or where she found it) and I was really disappointed because aside from that one song it all kinda sucks.

I appreciate you giving us the rundown of your gap lines before you actually do them; it makes it easier to keep up with the action.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Huh. Watching the Boston level and I'm pretty sure I remember it a bit differently. Did the Remix version change any of the goals and levels or is my memory really faulty?

I don't believe there are any changes made to levels between the console and portable versions, but I'll do another check. It's possible you're remembering some of the goals from the Classic Mode version of the level.

Speaking of Classic Mode, I'm looking for a little bit of input here on how I should tackle it. My current plan is to just systematically do a goal or two per two-minute run, giving me an opportunity to explain and demonstrate, leaning more into the guide aspect of the playthrough. Basically intending to maintain the viewer feeling like this (hopefully);

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I appreciate you giving us the rundown of your gap lines before you actually do them; it makes it easier to keep up with the action.

The alternative would be to heavily practice and aim to get all goals in a single run (which I'm not even sure is doable for every level), which would be leaning more into the showing off some skill, similar to how I redid THPS1-3. However, we're talking about a lot of levels that are bigger and possibly not as familiar to the audience as the classic games, and revisiting old levels offer up brand new challenges to look at too, so I figured it'd be a lot of work for a less enjoyable experience for the viewer.

Thoughts?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing I should point out with the Boston level is that it gets a lot of subtle details (like the Duck Boat tour and the MBTA stations), but those trains are going way too fast. The distances between subway stations are so short that you can sometimes see them from the next station, but the length of time between stations is the same as a larger metro system because the trains are actually streetcars in tunnels that go at human running speed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gonna be checking out Remix for the next few episodes.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We're gonna be hanging out on the PSP for a few episodes. Some of this might be new to you guys, like it was to me. Some of you might also recognize these levels from American Wasteland's Classic Mode, but what's interesting is that they "refreshed" these levels to have different goals and different layouts for things like SKATE and COMBO letters and stuff like that between the two appearances just like they did for all the other levels.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

wizardry and advanced cybernetics are my top two explanations for how the skaters in these games can launch themselves hundreds of feet through the air and land without their legs and feet collapsing in twin bursts of chunky gore, so I have no problems with your proposed canon

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SatansOnion posted:

wizardry and advanced cybernetics are my top two explanations for how the skaters in these games can launch themselves hundreds of feet through the air and land without their legs and feet collapsing in twin bursts of chunky gore, so I have no problems with your proposed canon

I mentioned in the last game's LP thread that the storyline instantly shreds the suspension of disbelief because you're supposed to be an amateur skater having to painstakingly prove themselves, but from the very beginning you're doing backflips onto power lines, chaining grinds and lip tricks across an entire suburb's rooftops, and defeating Tony Hawk himself by multiple orders of magnitude.

Tony Hawk: "Hey, you're a pretty cool skater. Let's jam."

Player: "Oh my God, I can't believe the living legend Tony Hawk invited me to skate with him! I sure hope I don't mess this up!"

Tony Hawk: *performs a handful of simple vert tricks*

Player: *does a combo with 5 McTwists and a 900 before grinding between every halfpipe in the skate park and ending with a lip trick where you set the board on fire*

Tony Hawk: "Hey, not bad. Maybe I'll give you a spot on my team."

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well, it is a common trope for wizards to be a bit elitist and stuck up.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

I've been dealing with a lot of stuff going on lately, so recordings have been a luxury. Sorry things have taken such a long break, and I do not know how frequently I will be able to update moving forward, but we're pushing through.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 23, 2020

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Oof, the sound effects in the PSP version are really annoying to listen to, they sound like they're being played under a mound of gravel.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tombot posted:

Oof, the sound effects in the PSP version are really annoying to listen to, they sound like they're being played under a mound of gravel.

They definitely have a lot more compression. I wonder how much it comes across though in the PSP version, versus listening to it in all its glory through PC headphones.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
This was uploaded a while ago now, but I never updated the thread. Probably a good idea to subscribe if you don't wanna miss out on videos because my brain is bad.

And here's a video posted today.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Am I crazy, or was Wee Man about the same size the player is?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jamesman posted:

I've been dealing with a lot of stuff going on lately, so recordings have been a luxury. Sorry things have taken such a long break, and I do not know how frequently I will be able to update moving forward, but we're pushing through.

Can't believe Corona Virus is what finally killed Skateboarding :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tombot posted:

Am I crazy, or was Wee Man about the same size the player is?

He is shorter, but I couldn't tell you the accuracy of his model compared to real life. You'll soon get a better chance to judge when we get to the next level.

The Shame Boy posted:

Can't believe Corona Virus is what finally killed Skateboarding :(

Knock on wood, me and mine haven't gotten sick yet. It's just been a lot of other stuff happening that was keeping me from putting out videos more frequently. And that'll still probably be the case for the rest of this LP, because the amount of work I put into it and the amount of time I have to actually put that work into it are still at war with each other, now more than ever.

But we're getting this done. I haven't abandoned a project yet since my return, and I'm hoping to keep that streak going.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Rooting for you, JamesplaysgamesMan :unsmith:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hi happy weekend.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I get the feeling that the implication of Eric's performance in Berlin is that Eric Sparrow isn't as good as he thinks he is hence why he kept trying to screw over the player in the first THUG who was legitimately more talented than him at skateboarding. Recall that Eric edited the video to make it look like Eric was the one who jumped the helicopter and not the player character.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 28, 2020

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Why not just make the next psp level based on Bangkok? They did go there apparently.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

I get the feeling that the implication of Eric's performance in Berlin is that Eric Sparrow isn't as good as he thinks he is hence why he kept trying to screw over the player in the first THUG who was legitimately more talented than him at skateboarding. Recall that Eric edited the video to make it look like Eric was the one who jumped the helicopter and not the player character.

Our guy was definitely a better skater, but Eric still has talent. The way I understand it, Eric didn't edit the footage to put him in our place; he hid our footage and filmed his own roof-to-roof air himself later, without a helicopter to jump over.

The other guys seem to regard him well enough to want him on the tour, but it also seems like they know he's a poo poo and wanna give him a hard time, and he's trying (too) hard to impress them and just making them regret bringing him along.

I identify with Eric. :(

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I shoulden't have looked up that gap that was censored. JESUS CHRIST Neversoft!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought that "Art Gallery" was a childrens' play area., that's what it looked like to me at the time, I now know better. I just got around to beating this game myself, only got a few things on the last few levels that I wasn't able to do and won't bother with.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 17, 2020

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

If you're relying solely on this thread to keep up with this playthrough or anything I'm doing moving forward, there's an increasing chance that you will really want to subscribe to my channel instead and follow me on Twitter.

Also linking my Patreon in the first post.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
As promised, I subscribed way back when you saved the wolf :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remembered this level from American Wasteland's classic mode.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I've been subscribed :)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way Jamesman, did you ever play Tony Hawk's Proving Ground? It's one that no one seems to have any experience with, but I've been playing it recently, got to 89% so far.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hello we're back. Here's a big post with content for you.

I needed a hiatus from so much stuff this year because of poo poo going on this year and also because I took on too much stuff at once and was burning out and needed to slow down and do more work behind the scenes and etc etc.

First off, I never properly posted Kyoto Pt 2 in this thread, because it was during a time I wasn't sure I wanted to keep posting on these forums. Seems like a lot of you did find your way over to the video though, because you are cool people who subscribe to my channel. If you're not yet a cool person, you can easily become one!

And now here's also Australia Pt 1.

I've also been playing around with THPS1+2 and have posted a few videos where I beat ridiculous score challenges and do level speedruns and maybe a couple other things. If you want even more Tony Hawk and want to see some possibly decent gameplay then here you go!

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way Jamesman, did you ever play Tony Hawk's Proving Ground? It's one that no one seems to have any experience with, but I've been playing it recently, got to 89% so far.

Hi, yes. I played it but never 100% completed it because I got really bored of it and didn't find it to be too fun. I played it shortly after fully completing Project 8, which was a huge pain in the rear end, and I think I just burned out on the games at that point.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'm not entirely sure if the stilted animation on the giant monster was a reference to old movies or just a consequence of being on the PSP.