Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Alpha3KV posted:

There's a bus depot not far from where the ball is being held. An alternate strategy is to take one of those and pick up every girl on the map in a single trip, and finish the mission with just one stop at the destination. I think that's the only time in the whole game the capacity of a bus can come into play, since you otherwise never even have more than 3 passengers to carry.

It has to be a charter bus, IIRC. Last time I played through this, I tried to use a city bus like this and it only held 3 passengers.

There is one later mission where this could potentially matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I'm pretty sure that simply hitting a cop with your car isn't enough to get Wanted as long as there's only one. I distinctly that exploiting this to get a pistol a few times, because anybody caught under a car will eventually die, and it won't by your fault if you get our of the car before this happens.

This might have been a "it only gives you one star and one is no big deal thing", it has been awhile.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The nice thing about that last mission is that it's fairly well foreshadowed. The snitch talks about Salvatore being paranoid, and one of the Chatterbox calls (which I'm pretty sure plays during the video, although I could be wrong) is from Maria and almost spelling it out.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I was never good at landing the car when getting to Asuka's that way. I got a fair bit of amusement from this, picturing Asuka listening for the sound of an exploding car to let her know her new employee was there.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

In the Yardie missions, the subtitles are translating their incomprehensible gibberish for you.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Considering a ragequit due to a crash after completing S.A.M. is a perfectly rational response. That mission sucks.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I never understood why the Dodo existed. If they had simply not had any stealable planes, players would probably have brushed it off. Having a crippled plane you could get into just made the whole thing very visible.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Compared to III, VIce City's already showing a ton more coherence in the missions and story. There's a clear direction to things that III lacked.

For amusement, I found a newspaper article from 1984 that put the price of a kilo of cocaine at $30000, making the 20 kilos that Tommy was sent to buy being worth $600000. In today's money, that's over $1.5 million. Small wonder that the mob is pissed.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The trick to successful rampages in this game (and III) is to simply turn around whenever you run out of targets. The game likes to spawn people behind you so you don't see it, and Rampages spawn gang members in large groups. I don't know if this trick works in later games.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

The earliest games also allowed you to squeeze more vehicles than they were technically meant for into the garages; I think San Andreas had it hard coded so there was a limit to how many vehicles a particular garage could have and even an extra bicycle couldn't be put into the empty space.

Note that trying to use the infinite capacity garage trick wasn't infallible - I had a garage full of motorcycles in Vice City empty itself after I stuck about 16 in there once.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The number of dead cops you see in that first mission is pretty funny, considering you weren't even trying to fight.

When I last played this, I developed a habit of swinging by and firing a rocket into the cafe from time to time. I was not a fan of this mission chain.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, that Desert Eagle in the cutscenes is another beta weapon. It was probably what turned into the Colt Python.

Which is strange, since the Good Pistol in later games is the Desert Eagle, with the Python being absent.

As for the rest of the video, the probable reference to GTA III in the VCR scene is really subtle.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Funny thing about the Bar Brawl mission that I discovered on a recent playthrough. If you get enough of a wanted level for the cops to chase you before the "they're running away" cutscene (which is easy to do if you make the Rocket Launcher your primary weapon), they'll continue to charge in while the cutscene plays - and if the bikes happen to crash into a cop the game won't know what to do and the Xbox will crash.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I knew I recognized the stones in San Andreas from somewhere. Forgot they were in the Vice City boatyard.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

This is actually an unintentional effect of doing the side missions in this order. There are 9 purchasable assets, and you need to complete the mission chain for 7 of them to progress in the main storyline. Boomshine plays a major part in one of the assets (the only one that doesn't cost money to start) but the Love Fist bomb is the only time it's ever mentioned outside of these missions.

If you're talking about Phil, you can't access him until completing the Malibu quests, which is the most expensive asset.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There's a trick to making The Driver really easy, but it's the opposite of intuitive. Get a 4 or 5 star wanted level before you start it. Hilary can't drive with blown tires, and it is really easy to ensure that he gets caught in a spike strip. After that, you can just steal another car, hit the Pay-n-Spray, and drive through the checkpoints at your leisure.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

This is why it is always a good idea to do the Malibu first despite the cost. Phil's is a great way to get the Good Weapons if you haven't gotten enough hidden packages, and even with the packages the M60 is nearly unique - I think there's only one other place in the game to get it, and that's a pain.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That final mission was really tough in my playthrough. The parts in the mansion aren't so bad, but every time I went on the roof I just flew back dead because everybody opened up on sight.

After five attempts I remembered I had an armed helicopter parked behind the mansion, so as soon as the traitor exited I ran downstairs, out the front door, topped off my armor, and then strafed the roof with the Sea Sparrow repeatedly. That made things much easier, although I had to land to kill the last guy up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

When you have your own gang, you can recruit people by locking on to them and pressing up(?). I think it started with this game in its crude way, though it is still years before sandbox games made effective use of it.

I'm 99% sure that doesn't become a thing until San Andreas.