Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey friends, Alyx is a good game, I hope this helps our little community here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hey friends, Alyx is a good game, I hope this helps our little community here.

I was just thinking about how I too enjoy Half-Life: Alyx, by Valve. :)

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jack Trades posted:

Sorry, I didn't realize that dissenting opinions were not allowed. I'm not going to say anything negative about Valve ever again.

What a child. People are obviously going to get bored of your posts about how bad you think the game is, especially when you’re just dropping in and making GBS threads on it sarcastically.

And when you’re called out on it you’re going to act like it’s just a matter of dissenting opinion? Grow up

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alyx is the greatest VR experience to date, hope this helps.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

sigher posted:

:yeah:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brownie posted:

What a child. People are obviously going to get bored of your posts about how bad you think the game is, especially when you’re just dropping in and making GBS threads on it sarcastically.

And when you’re called out on it you’re going to act like it’s just a matter of dissenting opinion? Grow up

It's not sarcastic and last I checked SA still had the Ignore button. Grow up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

When's Alyx 2 coming out, this thread's gonna eat itself alive before too long

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Captain Hygiene posted:

When's Alyx 2 coming out, this thread's gonna eat itself alive before too long

We're getting Half Life 3 first

Edit
I went back and read the first few pages of this thread and lmao

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 5, 2020

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

KakerMix posted:

I went back and read the first few pages of this thread and lmao

Oh man

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Judakel posted:

If you think this is a full game rather than a way for Valve to play around with tech they like... Wooo boy.

:hmmyes:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

sigher posted:

Yeah, this one. I've played a lot of stuff on the Quest so far, and nothing comes close to Alyx. All the other stuff is just glorified tech demos in comparison.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lone Echo also good. Not on the same level, but similarly immersive single player experience.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chadzok posted:

Lone Echo also good. Not on the same level, but similarly immersive single player experience.

That looks right up my alley, but it's for the Oculus...I'm confused about their games, I think they're technically exclusive but it looks like there's at least some kind of workarounds for playing them on other headsets?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Revive more or less works perfectly so you ought to be able to do whatever with that.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Warbird posted:

Revive more or less works perfectly so you ought to be able to do whatever with that.

Awesome, thanks :tipshat:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gort posted:

Yeah, this one. I've played a lot of stuff on the Quest so far, and nothing comes close to Alyx. All the other stuff is just glorified tech demos in comparison.

Alyx is good on a different axis. It is incredibly straightforward design and implementation wise, and then they polished the hell out of it. The environments and stuff are second to none, but in terms of the mechanics and the way you interact with the environment, it really doesn't take any chances. It's extremely conservative. If you're looking for innovation, new mechanics, innovative design, fresh locomotion, it's really not doing terribly much new.

It all comes down to what you're looking for in a game, tbh

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

What about Saints & Sinners!?!??! :argh:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Lemming posted:

Alyx is good on a different axis. It is incredibly straightforward design and implementation wise, and then they polished the hell out of it. The environments and stuff are second to none, but in terms of the mechanics and the way you interact with the environment, it really doesn't take any chances. It's extremely conservative. If you're looking for innovation, new mechanics, innovative design, fresh locomotion, it's really not doing terribly much new.

It all comes down to what you're looking for in a game, tbh

fun

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I really really admire Valve for it making it hardware exclusive. It seems like lots of the best (or best looking) VR games were made with Oculus money so I can't play them on my Index.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

smoobles posted:

I really really admire Valve for it making it hardware exclusive. It seems like lots of the best (or best looking) VR games were made with Oculus money so I can't play them on my Index.

Revive generally works and is free

They have a compatibility list

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Right, and depending on what aspects of a game appeal to you, you'll find different games fun. I think the root problem is when people present their opinion (I like/hate this game the most) as fact (this is the best/worst game), that tends to rile people up. There are of course different aspects than can individually be done well or poorly, it's not like everything is completely subjective, but from what I can tell that's the thing that makes people yell at each other the most

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
I disagree about that, as stormland runs like dog poo poo on my pc with revive. It seems like it hurts the game by making it use several different applications simultaneously.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have had mixed results with revive. The climb ran terribly when I tried it, I expect you to die would crash on launch, Vader immortal chapter 3 was extremely glitchy to the point it was unplayable, and superhot ran 100% perfect.

Odyssey plus here, but all other steam VR content runs just fine on it so it’s definitely not as seamless as I see people post.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hello gordon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

hello gordon

They're waiting for you...in the test chamberrrr

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

The environments and stuff are second to none, but in terms of the mechanics and the way you interact with the environment, it really doesn't take any chances.

It introduced the Gravity Gloves, the best way to pick up poo poo in VR, this honestly needs to be a thing in every VR title because honestly gently caress having to crouch down and get on a knee to reach something if I don't want to or tippy toe/knock something over to get stuff high up. Valve invented the greatest VR tool we've seen.

Then poo poo on stuff like the inventory system.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sigher posted:

It introduced the Gravity Gloves, the best way to pick up poo poo in VR, this honestly needs to be a thing in every VR title because honestly gently caress having to crouch down and get on a knee to reach something if I don't want to or tippy toe/knock something over to get stuff high up. Valve invented the greatest VR tool we've seen.

Then poo poo on stuff like the inventory system.

I won't disagree that it's a fantastic implementation, but telekinesis grab is something that's been done in VR a lot over the years. Again, definitely good and fun, but not really breaking new ground in terms of mechanics.

Apathy420
May 18, 2017

by Cyrano4747
There’s a good kinetic feel with the way things arc and the amount of time they’re available to be caught. Makes me wonder how easily adjustable it’d be in lua (if that is how it’s still coded) or how it could be translated into something like a physics gun

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Everything needs to be groundbreaking nowadays, eh?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

At the very least not being 4 years behind the industry helps.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
I think I’ve asked this before but what are these groundbreaking games we’re talking about? I’m struggling to find single player VR content that people agree is good.

So far my leads are Saints and Sinners, Stormland and Boneworks. The first two people say get repetitive and boring by the end, and Stormland is an oculus exclusive that people in the other thread have reported doesn’t play great with Revive. Boneworks I’ve tried and wish I could refund.

I’m still planning on playing S&S and Stormland, but I was wondering if I was missing something else obvious?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Brownie posted:

I think I’ve asked this before but what are these groundbreaking games we’re talking about? I’m struggling to find single player VR content that people agree is good.

So far my leads are Saints and Sinners, Stormland and Boneworks. The first two people say get repetitive and boring by the end, and Stormland is an oculus exclusive that people in the other thread have reported doesn’t play great with Revive. Boneworks I’ve tried and wish I could refund.

I’m still planning on playing S&S and Stormland, but I was wondering if I was missing something else obvious?

Lone Echo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Brownie posted:

SUPERHOT VR also.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Jack Trades posted:

SUPERHOT VR also.

Yeah I played this before I played alyx, and it was fun but I really hate the melee and the chapters that required a lot of it. Never knew if I was moving fast enough for the game to consider it sufficient, and i was definitely pushing against the limitations of my space... punched my ceiling pretty hard once when I was trying to throw something :(

Haven’t really felt the need to open it back up since finishing the first run through.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Jack Trades posted:

SUPERHOT VR also.

I had to stop playing this due to
smashing my wall. It's the only vr title I've played where that is an issue. I own Gorn but I'm afraid to play it for the same reason.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Superhot demo was pretty fun but I can't see myself paying much for the full game. Also it was very bad about frequently losing my seating position and reorienting me in ways that were tough/impossible to play from, it's pretty much a no-go from that alone.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

It doesn't have to, but it does mean that if you value that innovation then Alyx isn't going to be as appealing to you. It's like saying you like apples, if I have a peach pie I'm probably not going to like it as much as apple pie. It's not bad or wrong for people to like it more, I'm just not going to.

Brownie posted:

Some of these are Oculus exclusives, but I think that doesn't really affect whether they're innovative or not, so I'll just list some stuff off the top of my head (and this is not overall "do I think this is a good game," it's just whether I think they're trying something new or interesting. Especially the sandbox stuff I think is pretty boring even if it's innovative, because I don't think sandboxes are any fun):

The Unspoken is pretty great, the back and forth spellcasting stuff ends up feeling a lot like a fighting game, where there are lots of different responses you can do and different ways you can attack your component. At the most base level the interaction is you use one hand to attack and one hand as a shield, so you're both attacking and defending yourself by moving your arms independently at the same time. The moment to moment gameplay feels great and I really like the multi-tasking nature of things. The gesture spells also feel pretty badass, stuff like doing a shield gesture to block a huge attack at the last possible moment is super fun and cool. It only has teleportation movement, but it ends up being more like a dodge tool; it has a cooldown, and you can only go to a limited number of places, which can be reduced by certain attacks. Completely dead at this point but it was a lot of fun.

Onward was the first that took the idea seriously of making stick locomotion work, which I still personally despise, but they went against the grain and proved out that you can have a popular game that a lot of people can handle. They also used the two handed guns, which many games were avoiding in favor of only allowing you to use one handed pistol type guns. They also have a physical body layout, where magazines, grenades, syringes, etc, were physically located somewhere on your body, so there's no magic button you press to make something pop out in your hand. It's about as grounded and realistic as you can get, barring the stick locomotion still feeling slidey and floatey.

Blade and Sorcery probably has the best melee physics, though it's definitely full sandbox where you have to make your own fun. A lot of games either shy away from the idea of using melee entirely, or will let things stick to your hand pretty much 1:1 and you can just waggle stuff to death. B&S definitely has waggle, but it was the first thing (that I can remember) to really push that idea, and let you do stuff like knock weapons away, give weight to larger two handed weapons, etc.

For me, Lone Echo/Echo Arena are the big one. The movement there is completely grounded in the way that you move your real life body, and as a result it manages to be both really comfortable and open up a lot of space for being able to interact in a virtual world without being limited by more abstract input mechanisms. Lone Echo, the SP game, does end up being more of a walking simulator where you solve some basic puzzles, but the atmosphere and the sheer joy of feeling like you're physically present in space makes it completely kickass. The multiplayer, Echo Arena, is essentially just a straight up new sport. It's got a massively high skill ceiling, they nailed the simplicity of the game that allows for an incredibly deep level of competition, and there's straight up nothing like it, and it could ONLY exist in VR.

This isn't an exhaustive list but it's the first things that I thought of and yeah, honestly, there's not a *ton*. A bunch of people have done experiments, but only a few of the bigger studios have made any sort of effort, and barring a few things like Echo, I don't think there's been the massive paradigm shift in the way people approach VR game dev that I've been hoping for. I think that the hardware has far outpaced the software at this point, so I'm still really hoping to see more exploration and new stuff done as investment increases and more people get into it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jack Trades posted:

At the very least not being 4 years behind the industry helps.

What innovations have been created in the last 4 years that Alyx doesn't implement?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It really doesn't matter. Alyx certainly is the best single player VR experience (I don't think that's controversial), but that didn't set the world on fire and propel VR to the mass market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

sigher posted:

What innovations have been created in the last 4 years that Alyx doesn't implement?

Holsters.
Melee.
Smooth Movement.

Sure, the latter was added into the game in the last minute but still you could see that it was a last minute hack by how they still make you teleport through a bunch of sections anyways.

Also, I just want to point out that even though I talk a lot of poo poo there a things that I think Alyx does great, like the graphics and the physics are the best I've seen in VR and there are few VR games with these kinds of production values. It's just that for every great thing there are just as many bad things, such as awful unimaginative haunter house level design that was constantly doing it's damnest to make sure that you didn't stray from the intended experience, constant inconsistencies in environment interactivity (there's absolutely no way to know if a pane of glass will break or not before you try it for example, which gets really annoying in a fire fight), a bunch of crude optimization hacks that glues all the ragdolls to the floor and makes you unable to use the shotgun laser sign together with the flashlight that you can't even turn off even if you wanted to, etc etc. I can keep going on about how the game was constantly stifling my attempts at trying to have fun.

The few parts where I did really enjoy the game were the combine/antlion fights. It's just a shame that there was only like, 3 of them in the whole game, jammed somewhere between Ravenholm Part 2 and Ravenholm Part 20.

Fame Douglas posted:

It really doesn't matter. Alyx certainly is the best single player VR experience (I don't think that's controversial), but that didn't set the world on fire and propel VR to the mass market.

I can't argue with that. Maybe that's exactly what my issue is.
It's a great VR experience but not that great of a game.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 6, 2020