Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Okan170 posted:

I think people are imagining the difference like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSfCMtbzotQ

But yeah, thats so far beyond what could be done anytime soon on something Halo at full size and fps. And even then, if you had the game built properly you could get most of that with existing tech. Which brings us back around to whats the reason this is going to sell the Xbox- if its focused on the 4k 60fps thing then the whole pitch seems kind of badly-considered.

Oh I know, this is probably a better showcase of what minecraft does with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_4QaWbntUQ

But IMO that video I posted before about Metro is more impressive. And that's the kind of thing you could do in Halo, that's what they're probably working on, but it also means taking a pretty solid frame-rate hit to achieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ODST SMG and pistol are coming to Halo 3?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-july-2020

Lots update info, ODST seems to be coming pretty soon, beta test coming next month

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

BR starts in ODST Firefight!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Pay $343 in lootboxes to unlock Recon armor!
They've confirmed no "real-money" lootboxes and have suggested that people who like Reach's armor customization will be happy, so I assume they'll just sell a bunch of armor cosmetics like helmets, chestplates, shoulders, legs, the bit that jacks you off...

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Zaphod42 posted:

ODST SMG and pistol are coming to Halo 3?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/mcc-development-update-july-2020

Lots update info, ODST seems to be coming pretty soon, beta test coming next month

Seems like 3's hit registration fixes are coming along with ODST, too. Plus ODST firefight with matchmaking! :toot:

quote:

FEATURES PLANNED FOR RELEASE IN 2020
Crossplay
Input Based MM
Sever Region Selection
Custom Game Browser
Per Game Graphics Options
Per Game Audio Options
M&K Support for Xbox
PC Fileshare
Double Keybinds for all games
Viewmodel adjustments for all games
In game FPS Cap/Adjustments
Steam Account Linking

(and also Halo 4 I guess)

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

They've confirmed no "real-money" lootboxes and have suggested that people who like Reach's armor customization will be happy,
So me, cool!
ODST coming to PC is some good loving news, that's a real nice HALO time.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

The night city streets levels in ODST easily one of my favorite levels from the whole series, the tone is excellent. The music is amazing as well

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Strelok604 posted:

The night city streets levels in ODST easily one of my favorite levels from the whole series, the tone is excellent. The music is amazing as well

ODST has really fun levels. the par times on the first Buck and Dutch missions are fun as hell to shred through cuz they're so tight

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Can someone explain what the gently caress I'm seeing here

e- vvvv yeah that was exactly it. i was afraid the windows store was messing up again.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Aug 1, 2020

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Can someone explain what the gently caress I'm seeing here

I assume you're using Game Pass? As well as the MCC app, every individual game has a little associated DLC that tells the app "yep, the player bought this, unlock all my stuff". I think it's only like 10mb.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Halo 4 has the most over-busy garbage HUD with random snippets of the edges just chunked out cuz... Immersion? I don't know. it's a minor gripe but it's so annoying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I've played like 20 rounds of Ghost Town this weekend

Why do the MCC servers seem to prefer that map so much? I swear 4 out of 5 games is Ghost Town!

Halo 3 has some good maps but the dlc ones are kinda so-so in my opinion, and yet it feels like I never get to play anything else.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zaphod42 posted:

Why do the MCC servers seem to prefer that map so much? I swear 4 out of 5 games is Ghost Town!

Halo 3 has some good maps but the dlc ones are kinda so-so in my opinion, and yet it feels like I never get to play anything else.

I've only gotten put on it once and I've played a few dozen Halo 3 matches since it launched.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Zaphod42 posted:

Geez, people have a ton of patience! It only took me 4 games of "casual" team deathmatch where half your team quits instantly to swear off multiplayer entirely. I guess theres Firefight Arcade for those of us who just want to unlock stuff but not have to deal with multiplayer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've played the bridge map in Halo CE once in the years since MCC came out on Xbone.

:negative:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I loving hated Ghost Town back in the day and as it turns out I still hate it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've discovered that I hate Snipers matches so I'm happy I can specifically remove it from the game type Playlist.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've discovered that I hate Snipers matches so I'm happy I can specifically remove it from the game type Playlist.

I liked them until it became clear that the top players had just started using controllers to get a 4:1 score ratio over everyone else.

I'm playing Halo 3 campaign finally and it seems like a pretty big narrative downgrade over two. Chief has like 3 lines, the Arbiter doesn't talk much and is only with you for some parts of some missions. Johnson gets the most lines but he's never really doing anything but saying how badly he's getting hosed up. And Truth's new Voice Actor sucks.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I wish they'd let you have the multiplayer customization stuff apply in the campaigns as well, gives a reason to use for people who aren't really into the multiplayer. Plus I want to squash covenant in a warthog with flames on it.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I spent most of today playing multiplayer. Primarily 8v8, all modes, all game types, all games. Figure I give my thoughts game by game.
Overall though I am dogshit at Halo, and I'm playing against people who probably have thousands of hours on these games/maps, I had a lot of fun. I love Halo's slower pace, vehicles, and general chaotic feel. It makes it feel a lot less "twitchy" and "OMG RUN 10000X SPEED GOTTA 360 NO SCOPE THIS NOOB FOR MY YOUTUBE CLIPS" that modern Call of Duty/Battlefield have become. In Halo games if I die, I don't think "that was bullshit" I often know why I died, and what I needed to do to not die. Also because Halo has a pretty high TTK, keeping with your teammates is absolutely critical. If you take on two enemies by yourself, 9/10 you will die. Stick with your team to win.

Reach:

Matchmaking only plays two maps it feels like. Breakpoint and Tempest. They are very "meh". That said because of their design it doesn't really allow for sniper camping which is nice.

Overall I'm ok with Reach. It's all about the BR. Once I got the hang of it, I had fun. Armor abilities are ok. I had a lot of fun with the invisible one, shooting an enemy, running behind a bend, going "invisible" and then doing the death animation on them as they come around looking for me

Halo CE
Halo CE MP is a glitchy, utterly broken mess of a game. And I loving love it. The spawns are broken, the hit registration is broken, the maps are mostly terrible....but it's so much fun just for the pure chaos. Grenades go off everywhere. You will spawn in an enemy base. I love it.
So long as you don't try to take Halo CE serious at all, and just enjoy the chaos, it is fun. Also the custom skins are a nice touch. I have a lot of nostalgia for Halo CE as I played it to death in HS and continued to play it when the PC version came out

Halo 2
I never played much Halo 2 MP back in the day, as I didn't have a live account at the time. It feels like a paired-down Halo 3 mp. smaller maps, more of a tighter focus in it's gameplay. It's fine. I think Halo 2 is best for 4v4.

Halo 2 A
This one is weird. I only played two rounds of it. It's nothing at all like Halo 2, apparently it runs on the Halo 4 engine? The gunplay feels much more responsive and "modern" and the visuals are nice. But since I played so little of it its hard for me to pin down.

Halo 3
I played this the most back in the day (so many late college nights with roommates playing Halo 3/ODST), and I played it the most today. There is a reason for that, it's the peak perfection of Halo MP. It does everything Halo 2 did, just better. Graphics are much smoother and colorful and more detail. Maps are far bigger, and are well designed for 8v8 with lots of vehicles, pathways, ect. Weapons are diverse. The BR is still king but you can make use of most of the others with practice. I personally think the deployables were a nice edition.
There is a reason a lot of people waited for the release of Halo 3 before buying the MCC and this is it. Halo 3 MP captures everything that makes Halo great.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
yeah, the Halo 2 Anniversary MP is Halo 4's MP engine tweaked to feel more like H2

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jivjov posted:

yeah, the Halo 2 Anniversary MP is Halo 4's MP engine tweaked to feel more like H2

You can tell because the h2a shotgun has a range that isn't "model is inside enemy"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

And Truth's new Voice Actor sucks.

Halo 3 has issues but I'll be god damned if Terence Stamp is among em

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I played some H2 multiplayer not long ago and got the blue “reestablishing connection” screen and I never thought I’d feel such joy and nostalgia for people cheating in a video game.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

alf_pogs posted:

Halo 3 has issues but I'll be god damned if Terence Stamp is among em

Okay he's not a bad VA but it's a downgrade over Halo 2's truth for sure. Halo 3 Truth just comes across as a stereotypical bad guy with no nuance.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
there's nothing quite like the endless dropped grenade chain reactions in CE

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

IronicDongz posted:

there's nothing quite like the endless dropped grenade chain reactions in CE

On LASO dead grunts detonate like plasma grenades, setting off their own plasma grenades + any chain reaction nades nearby. But the best part is that they don't detonate if the area they're in is 'inactive', which is a state the engine will put a room in if the player's not inside it and in line of sight. So if you're picking grunts off from afar they may wait to explode until you're in the room, setting off every other dropped grenade within two light-years :unsmigghh:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This actually makes LASO much easier because you can use grunts to kill their elite bosses.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Polygon put out a pretty funny video with a guy that spent a year reading all the Halo books. Apparently some of them are actually decent* and the bit about the suit jacking off Master Chief is not true

*Could be some sort of Stockholm syndrome after a year of reading only Halo things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrBox posted:

Polygon put out a pretty funny video with a guy that spent a year reading all the Halo books. Apparently some of them are actually decent* and the bit about the suit jacking off Master Chief is not true

*Could be some sort of Stockholm syndrome after a year of reading only Halo things.

May as well link it.

What's extra fun is he hasn't played Halo previously, and only reads the books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

He says "The mainline games are gonna give you the story without causing you to miss out on a bunch of lore" which, who is gonna tell him that 343 hosed that up? lol

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

He probably benefitted by reading them without having played the games. I bet the books (overall) are probably a lot better when you don't have the games as a point of comparison about why some of the books are just bad or how frustrating it is to have those plot elements the games expect you to know be cordoned off in other media.

I had a similar thing happen to me when I played Arkham Knight for the first time. I like Batman as a series but I never read the comics or anything. My exposure was primarily the 90s animated series and then the chris nolan movies. I remember seeing a lot of people knocking the plot and characters and such at the time but I ended up liking it a lot because (spoiling just because this isn't a batman thread) I didn't even know there was a third Robin who became Red Hood. So for me, the mystery of who the Arkham Knight was actually turned out to be pretty interesting, and I got to put two and two together over the course of the game like Batman's doing, because I didn't have prior knowledge of that character's existence at all, and the game's plot was definitely enhanced for me.

So yeah, sometimes it's nice to be a casual fan of a series, or not even one at all. I think that's probably what happened here, because I was also surprised at how much he sounded like he enjoyed himself by the end of reading the books.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Watching that video reminds me that apparently Bungie did not like the idea of a Halo EU/spinoffs because they felt that they would explain things that were better left up for interpretation; and while I don't know whether that's true or not, knowing how Bungie handled storytelling in Marathon (and Destiny, I guess), yeah, I can see that. I don't know how successful the actual games were at that, but I do remember being pretty interested in the setting and a lot of its mysteries as a kid.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s better for bad writers to leave things up in the air and video game writers, uh, well...

Like it’s fine to say Master Chief has some connection with a person from his past if you’re bad at writing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

But I think its also pretty fundamental to that kind of "colossal mysterious sci-fi" that Bungie loves to do.

Forerunners were weird and cool and you could imagine them as this massive space race that could do anything, but collapsed.... so much potential...

When we actually meet Didact and Librarian and they're idiots... it shatters that.

To be fair, Bungie did the same thing with the Traveller and Darkness in Destiny and now they're trying to go more in detail on what those concepts are and they're flailing badly.

But then I think the original authors who wrote that stuff left, so I guess the new writers just can't pick up the slack.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I wish the books had adapted Halo 2 and 3.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

is Invasion in the Reach multi? That mode kicked rear end, especially way back in the original beta when the Elites were still buffed over Spartans

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell
Yeah, it's in Reach multiplayer. I think it's still in the competitive category.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

To be fair, Bungie did the same thing with the Traveller and Darkness in Destiny and now they're trying to go more in detail on what those concepts are and they're flailing badly.

But then I think the original authors who wrote that stuff left, so I guess the new writers just can't pick up the slack.

I’ve known exactly what the Traveler and Darkness are since the beginning. Whether anyone at Bungie wants to stick to my ideas isn’t up to me, but I’m still occasionally contributing lore.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

General Battuta posted:

This actually makes LASO much easier because you can use grunts to kill their elite bosses.

You still have to melee someone every time you want to recharge shields though right? I think I could do it if not for that skull (now that I've learned you can basically cheat to ignore the iron skull).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yes, though that works differently in every game. In Halo CE it's arguably an advantage because the shield refill is instant. You can 1v1 a flood combat form in melee because you'll be back at full shields every time you wallop it.