Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I remember ODST doing an OK job at showing off New Mombassa, better than what Halo 2/3 did anyway. It's been over a decade since I played it though so Im curious to see how my thoughts hold up once released on MCC.

not the same universe but The Expanse takes place like 500 years in the future as well and several cities are moved inland / have massive sea walls due to the Global Climate crises of the 20-21st centuries.

The writers of Halo could easily write that as an excuse for "New" Mombasa but that requires 343 to keep a consistent narrative / chronology and :shrug:

The expanse is legit the only one I've seen that actually grapples with that issue alot of others seem to reach for... waterworld?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The Jetsons maybe? lol

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I thought that the huge pit the covenant had excavated to reveal the ark portal was basically the ruins of Mt Kilimanjaro? It's mentioned in a terminal that's where the forerunners put the portal. New Mombasa is on the other side of it from Voi. Doesn't explain why Voi seemed to be a once coastal city though.

Fool that I was, relying upon 21st century wikipedia instead of the authoritative source

halopedia posted:

In the mid 26th century, Voi was situated beside a large man-made lake,[5] which was connected to an ocean inlet leading all the way to New Mombasa on the coast. This waterway provided a way of carrying large amounts of cargo from the facilities in Voi to the space tether in New Mombasa and other locations around the globe. The shorelines of the lake were filled with warehouses and docking structures; one of the most prominent industrial facilities in Voi was the Factory Complex 09 of the Traxus Heavy Industries. Another facility, Traxus Factory Complex 71, was also located nearby on the shores of the lake.[6]

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Finally finished up CE and Reach to complete out my campaign playthroughs.

A lot of 1 is impressive for how well it holds up, though it feels decidedly "different" in terms of how it plays. Is it the enormous grenade radius? Lack of melee lunge? No vehicle boarding? There's something about the rest of the Halos that feel much more same-y than 1's combat, so it's kind of a treat going back to it. Level design doesn't always hold up though, and the Anniversary graphics are decidedly missing the "feel" of the original.

Reach is just really solid top to bottom and lacks any Library's or Cortana's or [entire midsection of Halo 2] in its campaign, which surprised me a lot. I think it lacks a lot of the same high highs aside from maybe Long Night of Solace? Or maaaybe Tip of the Spear? But overall it's just at a more consistent "good" quality and never really dips above or below that line. Whoever did voice direction for the main cast though should probably not do voice direction anymore. Jorge works out, but the rest are beyond wooden, Carter especially. Good lord.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I always felt the huge grenades added a bit of chaos in a good way to the game. They are probably terrible at a competitive level, but for when you are just goofing around with your friends they made things a lot of fun. I even see this in online MP. Sure I die to all kinds of crazy explosions and grenades fly everywhere, but I have a lot of un while it's happening.

That isn't to say other Halo MPs are bad by any means, in many ways they are more balanced or better, but CE has that extra bit of chaos that isn't replicated in subsequent games.

I don't know how you would make it into an actual gametype, but I use to always enjoy doing warthog jousting with friends in CE. Spawn as many warthogs as possible in blood gulch. Everyone takes a warthog out to the center of the map and tries to knock each other out and run each other over. No using weapons unless your knocked out of your warthog in the center of the map. Worked even better in the PC version where you could have unused warhogs respawn back at the bases.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I thought that the huge pit the covenant had excavated to reveal the ark portal was basically the ruins of Mt Kilimanjaro? It's mentioned in a terminal that's where the forerunners put the portal. New Mombasa is on the other side of it from Voi. Doesn't explain why Voi seemed to be a once coastal city though.

You can see Kilimanjaro in Sierra 117 and it seems unscathed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s pretty hard to see Kilimanjaro, you have to kill a lot of guys really fast.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Fool that I was, relying upon 21st century wikipedia instead of the authoritative source

:ms:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

It’s pretty hard to see Kilimanjaro, you have to kill a lot of guys really fast.

Come on, if you turn on scoring and announcer for SP or Co-op all you need to do is sticky grenade the retreating drone swarm at the end of Crows Nest for a Kilimanjaro.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheGreySpectre posted:

I always felt the huge grenades added a bit of chaos in a good way to the game. They are probably terrible at a competitive level, but for when you are just goofing around with your friends they made things a lot of fun. I even see this in online MP. Sure I die to all kinds of crazy explosions and grenades fly everywhere, but I have a lot of un while it's happening.

That isn't to say other Halo MPs are bad by any means, in many ways they are more balanced or better, but CE has that extra bit of chaos that isn't replicated in subsequent games.

I don't know how you would make it into an actual gametype, but I use to always enjoy doing warthog jousting with friends in CE. Spawn as many warthogs as possible in blood gulch. Everyone takes a warthog out to the center of the map and tries to knock each other out and run each other over. No using weapons unless your knocked out of your warthog in the center of the map. Worked even better in the PC version where you could have unused warhogs respawn back at the bases.

Gravity hammers in passenger seats and invulnerability/high shields baby.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

jokes posted:

Gravity hammers in passenger seats and invulnerability/high shields baby.

I feel like this was 100% a custom gametype in Reach

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it was one of the rotating ones for a while, probably because of its popularity in 3 because I played the poo poo out of it with a katana on my back.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

TheGreySpectre posted:

I'm probably behind the times a bit but I just learned that apparently Infinite isn't going to be fully open world, more just unlock the world as you go. I see this as a positive. On the other hand they said you can go back and find armor upgrades which I see as a huge negative. If halo goes full destiny and rpg elements and whatnot I'll be kind of upset.

agreed on the rpg elements, but the rest sounds like Metroid and I am absolutely okay with Halo taking some influence from that. backtracking through levels we've played before has always been a series staple haha

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TheGreySpectre posted:

This is the stupidest complaint, but I the menu background for the MCC doesn't feel very HALOesque to me. It's got a few moments where you see like the BR or the AR, but for the most part lots of bullets and some gun parts just feels more COD to me.
They change the menu background whenever they port a new game to PC. For Halo 1 I think it was the "hushed casket" at the start of Pillar of Autumn and for Halo 2 it was extreme close-ups of a Warthog. It'll change again in a month or so when ODST drops.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TheGreySpectre posted:

It always annoyed me that the Infinite Grenades option in custom MP games topped out at 4 players :( Such delicious mayhem

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1293261002037841920

A pity it won't make the new console's launch date, but the reasons aren't unreasonable.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 11, 2020

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Craig memes probably gutted a very overworked demoralized team.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
RIP XBOX Series X launch

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I'd rather have stuff pushed out for a solid release then have everything rushed to hit a specific date. Pushing out to 2021 is probably a good thing.

I suppose this does mean that the series X doesn't have much if anything going for it though. Then again I think the series X was already going to have lots of issues. Honestly even the name is problematic as it's far too close to the already existing xbox one x.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The REAL Goobusters posted:

RIP XBOX Series X launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This is a good thing for the game plus now it won’t have to go head to head with Bugsnax.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The REAL Goobusters posted:

RIP XBOX Series X launch

Yeah, uh, what's actually coming out for that now?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1293261002037841920

A pity it won't make the new console's launch date, but the reasons aren't unreasonable.

This was the right move. I'm surprised they actually made the call since it was supposed to be a launch title! But the game is absolutely not ready for release and would have been rushed.

TheGreySpectre posted:

I'd rather have stuff pushed out for a solid release then have everything rushed to hit a specific date. Pushing out to 2021 is probably a good thing.

I suppose this does mean that the series X doesn't have much if anything going for it though. Then again I think the series X was already going to have lots of issues. Honestly even the name is problematic as it's far too close to the already existing xbox one x.

No its the right move. But as usual it shows Microsoft are clowns at planning and scheduling. This will hurt the xbox series x no doubt.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The dumbest loving name, too.

I don’t know why they don’t just name it Xbox (2020), with their upgraded version being Xbox+ (2022) or whatever the gently caress.

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

What, you don't like the X-SeX?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It’s just a new iteration of a black computer box with upgraded internals, replacing older similarly styled computer boxes. Just call it an Xbox Two goddammit, why would you name something an Xbox One if you didn’t use it to start a new naming convention goddamn!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

jokes posted:

It’s just a new iteration of a black computer box with upgraded internals, replacing older similarly styled computer boxes. Just call it an Xbox Two goddammit, why would you name something an Xbox One if you didn’t use it to start a new naming convention goddamn!

The Power of One was just too strong for Microsoft.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So serious question outside the scope of this thread but....what games does the new Xbox have? To me, its big selling point is Gamepass, which I assume would include Infinite.

And while Gamepass is an amazing deal, and probably the future of gaming, I look over at the Playstation 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn 2 and Bugsnax and the choice is easy.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

The Power of One was just too strong for Microsoft.

Yeah that's why they are gonna launch it with one game.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

I tried playing MP with a controller last night for the first time and hot drat the difference is huge. It's weird to feel like my aim is so much worse but I hit so much more often. They definitely need to do some work balancing controller schemes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The aim assist on controller makes strafe shooting way more reliable. It also means that games of Snipers are heavily slanted towards controller players.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

The aim assist on controller makes strafe shooting way more reliable. It also means that games of Snipers are heavily slanted towards controller players.

I completely gave up on that mode even though that poo poo was my favorite in Quake engine games.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I noticed it a lot with the battle rifle as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What are people's thoughts on the lowered reticle versus center screen reticle?

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

What are people's thoughts on the lowered reticle versus center screen reticle?

I absolutely hate the lowered reticle. Center screen reticle is standard on so many games and has been standard for so long that having it elsewhere feels very wrong to me. I believe the lowered reticle actually caused me to shelve halo 2 as it bugged me so much.

The center reticle is so much better.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I never noticed the reticle was lowered until I saw the option about it in MCC lmao

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I only noticed it when I read some Bungie article about it awhile back. I think its subtle enough lots of people don't notice but increases your fov upwards more so you don't see as much ground which isn't as important.

On console with a far away tv I think its a smart move. On PC you can do whatever you want, and its probably less necessary with a giant monitor in your face.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Still annoyed that bullets fire from your head level in multiplayer rather than from the actual gun model.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still annoyed that bullets fire from your head level in multiplayer rather than from the actual gun model.

It's annoying but it's way better than the alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

On console with a far away tv I think its a smart move. On PC you can do whatever you want, and its probably less necessary with a giant monitor in your face.

As much as I hated the low reticle on PC, it didn't bother me at all on console. I think the different distance from the screen couple with Halo being practically the only shooter I played on console helped a lot.