Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
That's very weird but if it's the case just board it and punch until dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
In Halo 2, the Wraiths have the same amount of health as whoever is driving them. So if a spec ops elite is driving them, it can easily take upwards of 4 rockets on Heroic or Legendary. Same reason on those difficulties that any tank you drive becomes like wet tissue paper- it’s sympathetic damage based on the driver.

I think there also might be a bug here because I never encountered such resilient Wraiths until the MCC

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Maybe it has to do with skulls.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Okan170 posted:

In Halo 2, the Wraiths have the same amount of health as whoever is driving them. So if a spec ops elite is driving them, it can easily take upwards of 4 rockets on Heroic or Legendary. Same reason on those difficulties that any tank you drive becomes like wet tissue paper- it’s sympathetic damage based on the driver.

I think there also might be a bug here because I never encountered such resilient Wraiths until the MCC

That explains a lot about the overall flimsiness of vehicles in Halo 2. I wonder if that was one of their brilliant design ideas or the result of the rushed and hellish dev cycle.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it's a response to the fact that if you shoot at a warthog's tire in CE eventually the driver just bleeds a bunch and falls out. Now the vehicle will be destroyed via a series of explosions too, making it make more sense as to why the driver dies.

The problem is, of course, that you end up driving wrecked-to-poo poo vehicles constantly, and the guns and poo poo stop being precise as a consequence for some reason and also vehicles seem like they're made of paper. Or, in campaign, made of pure steel.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Playing some social games over the last couple of days and yeah this is the xbox live I remember.

People spamming voice chat, people whinging, the n word... I joined a game of slayer, had my whole team but me quit and in the 4 v 1 (later a 3 v 1) that ensued I was trash talked for the entire game. "lul 6 to 25 noob u suck" No chill.

A few games later though and this shot was fired. In absolute awe:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Ah, the nostalgia is complete. :allears:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dino blasters is actually the perfect gamemode fwiw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does Halo MP not give audio feedback for kills outside of announcer comments when you do special kills or sprees? I'd like a little bit of a pop or something when I land a kill rather than a tiny text pop-up in the corner.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Back in my day we didn't get dopamine cue Skinner box reward signals, we just had to grunt in satisfaction and unwittingly disturb everyone in earshot.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does Halo MP not give audio feedback for kills outside of announcer comments when you do special kills or sprees? I'd like a little bit of a pop or something when I land a kill rather than a tiny text pop-up in the corner.

Yeah it doesn't which annoys me as it's not like that is a modern invention, Quake had it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

Back in my day we didn't get dopamine cue Skinner box reward signals, we just had to grunt in satisfaction and unwittingly disturb everyone in earshot.

Did you also have to share the grunt?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Halo 4/crossplay/input-based-matchmaking flight is on now. People are finding some pretty interesting things in the files!

In addition, MCC will get enhancements for the new Xbox Series consoles on November 17, with support for 120fps and improvements to splitscreen functionality. Which is nice.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Firing up Halo 4 flighting and I have to say after the rest of the series I remember why I didn't spend much time with this title. Its really amazing how much harder it is to play when things like enemy silhouettes are kind of a blobby mess (Grunts/Elites) and the color grading makes Jackals with activated shields indistinct from say sunlit grass. And then the Promethians show up. There might be a special place in hell for the person who decided that the HUD needs to be a literal helmet with bits at the edge just blacked out- at least the FOV slider makes it possible to actually see through it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'll always lol that the power weapon killstreak rewards in Halo 4 can include Needlers as an option just to spite you.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Okan170 posted:

There might be a special place in hell for the person who decided that the HUD needs to be a literal helmet with bits at the edge just blacked out- at least the FOV slider makes it possible to actually see through it.

I'm the kind of braindead person that thinks this is cool :smith:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Bedshaped posted:

I'm the kind of braindead person that thinks this is cool :smith:

5 arguably executes it better by defocusing those parts, and its less annoying on big monitors where your face is close enough that the HUD goes into your peripheral vision. Still very jarring after the rest of the games I think but to each their own.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Didn't they stick all the HUD elements in the helmet sections? I remember that being a welcome change since sometimes they'd just vanish against some lighting in the other games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I only really like the helmet HUD from Republic Commando because the health and shield meters were embedded in the cheek guards and didn't impair your vision that much

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loved the screen wipers.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfCsHxnFPps

So Woolie and Little V have been playing MCC and they have finished all of the Bungie games, so the time has inevitably come for Woolie to put out his ranking list.

His list goes:
Halo 2
Halo Reach
Halo 3
And a tie between ODST and CE.

While I disagree with Reach being that high, I can see where he's coming from with 2. Despite it being really frustrating to play 2 is probably my favourite game in the series. It is a fascinating look at ambition failing to reach its goals and yet being engrossing all the same.

Halo 2 is a mess of a game when you look at its development and obvious spots where it was rushed. But its potential as a game changer for the FPS genre was matched maybe only by Half Life 2. If Halo 2 had not had such a nightmarish development and Bungie had been able to finish the game the way they wanted to I think it could have gone down as one of the all time best FPS campaigns. When you look at all the behind the scenes stuff they were throwing everything at the wall to see what would stick. It's really sad seeing that the final product was so limited from what it could have been, even if the final product is great.

Halo 3 is basically Halo 2 part 2 but while it has my favourite gameplay in the series it can't touch Halo 2 for raw passion. 3 is a more tempered game that set its goals and hit them. Halo 2 aimed for the stars and only hit the stratosphere. It is great but could have been so much more.

But settling for a solid campaign and a genre defining multiplayer experience has to count for something.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Halo: Reach is personally my favorite but yes, I agree 100% what you just said.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Anita Dickinme posted:

Halo: Reach is personally my favorite but yes, I agree 100% what you just said.

I have issues with Reach but I do think it's neat how Reach incorporates elements that were cut from Halo 2. It's well documented that Halo 2 had to cut levels, notably blowing up the Assault Carrier after Cairo Station, the Forerunner Tank outrunning a glassing beam after Regret and a nearly finished Warthog Run at the end of High Charity. Then in Reach you blow up a covenant super carrier with a bomb, fight in New Alexandria during a glassing situation and you get a mongoose run to the Pillar of Autumn.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah but they cut the Reach level where you'd get to drive a Scarab :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does anyone else get really bad screen tearing in MCC's charactet customization menus? I've got vsync turned on but it doesn't seem to work with the zoom and rotate animations for the customization tab.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Does anyone else get really bad screen tearing in MCC's charactet customization menus? I've got vsync turned on but it doesn't seem to work with the zoom and rotate animations for the customization tab.

Yeah. I think the MCC wrapper which includes the character customization display is actually running in UE4 and while it generally obeys framerate limiting it doesn't seem to understand vsync.

Seems like we're losing the old color customization in Infinite, in favor of a more Destiny-esque system.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/colorful-column

(cynically I'm guessing its to prevent people from reproducing the Mountain Dew Battle Rifle skin)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Congratulations Halo Infinite on describing a more tedious shader system than Destiny 2

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Okan170 posted:

Seems like we're losing the old color customization in Infinite, in favor of a more Destiny-esque system.
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/colorful-column

Haha go gently caress yourself 343.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
That company is not capable of doing anything right without immediately loving it up

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

"We didn't envision our system being used for product placement, but we fully embraced it once monster energy drinks showed up with a sack of cash!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

Congratulations Halo Infinite on describing a more tedious shader system than Destiny 2

Its for Halo 4 though so who cares :shrug:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Its for Halo 4 though so who cares :shrug:

It's under the 'Halo Infinite' section.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
When it comes to halo rankings there's two types of people:

the CE/3 favourers and the Reach/2 favourers

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

General Battuta posted:

It's under the 'Halo Infinite' section.

Ohhhh. Right.

Yeah well we'll see on that one too.

When it comes to 343i at this point I expect complete incompetence and would be happily surprised if they make a game worth playing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Bedshaped posted:

i favour CE/2/ODST. where do i go?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

CE/Reach have better campaigns, 2/3 have better multiplayer, fight me

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
2 has the best campaign despite its warts

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Tighclops posted:

That company is not capable of doing anything right without immediately loving it up

I've been biased for a few years after a few friends I grew up with managed to finally get to work on Halo with 343... and then came out of it drained and defeated people. They can always pull something off I suppose, but theres zero reason to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

343i is the only studio I can think of who consistently bombs so hard

I don't like a single thing they've ever produced, although I know some do enjoy 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

I feel attacked because yes, Reach and 2 were the best to me.