Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

CE/Reach have better campaigns, 2/3 have better multiplayer, fight me

hell i agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

2 is my favorite in general but it's a ton of nostalgia bias because it was the one I did tons of lan parties with friends. Halo 3 was cool because I got to play it online properly (I think I did some Halo 2 online MP through third party stuff, but it was a foot note)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

IronicDongz posted:

2 has the best campaign despite its warts

Warts being nigh unkillable flood and bullet sponge brutes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
brutes are only bullet sponges if you are not headshoting/swording/needlering them

the one mission where it's a vehicle run through a ton of flood including human vehicles extremely sucks but halo 2 is the game that actually opens up a look into the covenant and shows us how they operate, and all the stuff around the arbiter is the most interesting the series has ever been

halo 3 is close second as campaigns go but is pulled down by cortana/gravemind interruptions, and bad writing for both of those characters compared to 2

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And loving SNIPER JACKALS

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m playing through ODST and really enjoying it. Last time I played it, I rushed through the campaign on coop with my college roommate in a single night.

This time, I’m taking it slow, trying to get every Sadie’s Story log I can, getting the weapon caches, going around Covenant patrols, ect.

Some parts are a bit terrifying, like running into a pack of Hunters while wondering the streets of Mombassa alone.

The missions with the not-Firefly cast are neat too. Nothing groundbreaking, but I’m having a good time.
I love the pistol, its better than the one from CE and is really good at popping off headshots (grunt birthday skull on is a must)

It has one of the best soundtracks in the Halo series. I love the jazzy background music for New Mombassa. And the track for the first Buck mission is great.

https://youtu.be/eoCBogeAnS4

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 25, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I also kinda like ODST being the opposite of Reach: You go from a dire/doomed situation where everyone could be dead, to everyone actually making it out.

Like, from the end of the first mission or whatever, I knew Dare was almost certainly not dead (cinematic rule of not showing the body) - but I figured maybe the rest of the team would be dead by the time Rookie found them, or someone would die, or there would be a heroic sacrifice. It's pretty cool to go from the somber loneliness of the start of the game to heroically making it out at the end.

Though, the climactic holdout feels a touch weak compared to other entries finales? The leadup on the highway where you see the covenant starting to glass was good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wart wart warts

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The big wart of Halo 2 is the player having like 5 health.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean I had a big post further up about how Halo 2 is my favourite and really shows the fullest extent of Bungie's passion, but I'm under no illusions. It is downright busted at times, with the damage model, weapon balance and campaign difficulty being the most obvious indicators.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 26, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It's why I really want to play Ruby's Halo 2 Rebalanced mod but it's broken on the current version of MCC :(

Halo 4 needs a rebalance almost as bad.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Didn't even know there was a modding scene for the MCC. Will have to do my next runthrough with the Ruby mods after halo 4 is done.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can someone explain how firefight sets work? If I go into matchmaking and pick heroic odst firefight it plays a single set, correct? How am I supposed to get the seasonal challenge for enduring a four set firefight match? Do I need to set up a custom firefight lobby to play more than one set?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

343i is the only studio I can think of who consistently bombs so hard

I don't like a single thing they've ever produced, although I know some do enjoy 4

MCC is in a pretty good place nowadays and is generally speaking a Good Port, with most of its remaining (and previous) issues being the result of Bungie being absolutely terrible programmers and leaving 343i with horrible spaghetti code to try and unfuck.

343i aren't that good at making their own games, but I could see a future for them as a porting house like Iron Galaxy.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

MCC is in a pretty good place nowadays and is generally speaking a Good Port, with most of its remaining (and previous) issues being the result of Bungie being absolutely terrible programmers and leaving 343i with horrible spaghetti code to try and unfuck.

343i aren't that good at making their own games, but I could see a future for them as a porting house like Iron Galaxy.

Do you work for 343i?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

D1E posted:

Do you work for 343i?

Ill defend that post, for the most part I’ve had few issues with MCC. Each game runs really smooth, and the glitches I’ve seen are minimal. Even the multiplayer has been ok.

Considering the Herculean job of importing 5 games with different engines, netcodes, ect to PC in one package and then having those games render at 60fps/1080p I think 343 has done a fine job.

I mean the games they make suck poo poo but MCC itself has been remarkably good based on my experience

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Yeah but

quote:

Halo: The Master Chief Collection is a compilation of first-person shooter video games in the Halo series, originally released in November 2014 for the Xbox One,

You don't really get kudos for fixing a game 6 years after release :v: MCC was a loving disaster for literal years. Its good now, yeah. But it took them a LONG time.

They bit off more than they could chew (and outsourced it all) but still...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
343 is Microsoft throwing money at a problem they created and not getting their investment back. I'm on the fence about Infinite still, even if I am happy to have Halo on PC.

Also, Reach's big team battle multiplayer maps are awful. How do I get into matches on forge world maps that don't have this issue?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Can someone explain how firefight sets work? If I go into matchmaking and pick heroic odst firefight it plays a single set, correct? How am I supposed to get the seasonal challenge for enduring a four set firefight match? Do I need to set up a custom firefight lobby to play more than one set?

Yep, you do it in a custom.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but

You don't really get kudos for fixing a game 6 years after release :v: MCC was a loving disaster for literal years. Its good now, yeah. But it took them a LONG time.

They bit off more than they could chew (and outsourced it all) but still...

poo poo really? I thought this thing came out like last year. I bought it back in August and they’ve released ODST and soon Halo 4 since then so I assumed it didn’t come out that long ago. :lol:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Anita Dickinme posted:

poo poo really? I thought this thing came out like last year. I bought it back in August and they’ve released ODST and soon Halo 4 since then so I assumed it didn’t come out that long ago. :lol:
The Xbox One version first came out in 2014 as a launch title, and, well, to quote the classics, it Came From Circumstances. The PC ports started rolling out last year, and while they were still a bit ragged they had benefitted from a couple of years of attempted unfucking beforehand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2020-10-26-343-moves-to-calm-growing-concern-about-halo-infinites-new-armour-customisation

343 I don't think repeating yourself is doing anything to reassure people.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Junyszek then moved to calm this concern in a series of tweets, insisting players will be able to earn customisation items such as coatings in-game, but also confirming they will be sold for real-world money.

quote:

"We love this idea," Junyszek responded, "but colours and materials are designed and built into each specific coating. I'm hoping to elaborate on the tech behind coatings in a future Community Update."

lol gently caress that

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Given the multiplayer is going to be f2p, it's not much of a surprise, but it's still really disappointing.

Should let people set colour for free and just focus on selling custom armor pieces (which, would still be kinda lame but more reasonable)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

"Admittedly, product promotions weren't how we originally envisioned sharing the first look at some of these customisation elements," Halo community manager John Junyszek said.

Ya think? Lmao. Pretty simple PR fail there.

Also, man, I just really do not like the 343i Spartan aesthetic. Everything is too plasticy, it has this glow that makes it look almost cartoonish. 5 had that big time and it felt really weird.

That along with the redesigned armor where its skimpy black wetsuits with metal panels on top instead of a proper space suit MJOLNIR... at least these designs look chunkier and closer to CE (so they got the memo there) but they still look to me like master chief ACTION FIGURES, not master chief himself. They're toys.

quote:

Halo fans are also pointing out that it sounds like the new coating system actually takes away customisation options from players compared to what they're used to in previous games in the series.

I HATED this in Destiny. Its cool if you want to make some fancy glowing gold-and-purple shader that's a raid reward or whatever. Fine. But don't take away my ability to be red or green or whatever at the start of the game.

You spent the first 20 hours of Destiny as some orange and white clownshoes scheme that you hated and you couldn't do anything about it until you got more drops. Looks like Halo Infinite is repeating that mistake.

They just keep getting greedy and thinking about microtransactions before they even release a single good game. You have to put out a game first 343i! Stop dreaming about profits!

E: I guess at least Halo Infinite will have you being Sage Green in the campaign to start with, they can't mess that up right?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 26, 2020

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am disappointed but not surprised. :smith:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I don’t mind that armor aesthetic much at all, but going “go buy cookies to be plain purple” sucks rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there no competitive matchmaking options for H2A or H2 classic? Does anyone even play these games on multiplayer in significant numbers or is the scene mostly centered around Halo 3? I want to get into Reach multiplayer to justify showing off mah dude's armour getup but the big team maps are just awful and I can only really get infection rounds consistently.

I think I may be playing with a handicap using mouse and keyboard in MP rather than a gamepad. That soft auto aim really seems like it would help in close quarters.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

It does seem like everyone is playing Halo 3 which makes sense, given how popular it was. I personally like loving around in CE but not many feel the same.

I also play KB&M but I want to give controller a try and see if the autoaim is as potent as people are claiming

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Things seem tense at 343. Chris Lee leaves as project director.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-28/microsoft-s-new-halo-game-loses-top-director-after-project-delay

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I also play KB&M but I want to give controller a try and see if the autoaim is as potent as people are claiming

If you have any muscle memory at all left over from console shooters it absolutely is. Your only downsides are sniper rifles and turn speeds and it’s not that big of a deal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I will say that M&KB feels far better for PVE and campaign modes.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

:rip:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they rebalance some of the weapons in ODST over base game Halo 3? The Assault Rifle feels a tad weaker and the carbine is much, much more accurate now that it has the center dot popup for headshots.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did they rebalance some of the weapons in ODST over base game Halo 3? The Assault Rifle feels a tad weaker and the carbine is much, much more accurate now that it has the center dot popup for headshots.

Correct on the AR- it got a 50% damage debuff for some reason. Probably to make the SMG seem better? The carbine always had the dot reticle for headshot though. Not sure about that one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Animal Friend posted:

Correct on the AR- it got a 50% damage debuff for some reason. Probably to make the SMG seem better? The carbine always had the dot reticle for headshot though. Not sure about that one.

It just seems that the shot spread on the ODST Carbine is much tighter than the Halo 3 version. It's much easier to lock down Jackals with it in this game.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Possibly because the BR doesn't exist in odst

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Suggestions for ways to beat Elites reliably in Reach that don't involve noob combos or abusing the cloak and relying on extended mission start ammo counts? Elites hitting you with melee should not be a one hit KO. They're the most BS enemies in the game because their flinching animations, shield visuals and instant kicks make them super hard to gauge when they aren't just tanking rockets and stickies.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 1, 2020

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Arcsquad12 posted:

Suggestions for ways to beat Elites reliably in Reach that don't involve noob combos or abusing the cloak and relying on extended mission start ammo counts? Elites hitting you with melee should not be a one hit KO. They're the most BS enemies in the game because their flinching animations, shield visuals and instant kicks make them super hard to gauge when they aren't just tanking rockets and stickies.

I just shoot them a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
which mission?
also, Elites reliably fall for the hologram. like every time. like send out a hologram from cover then pop out and gently caress up the nearest elite while they are distracted.