Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really like the broad thrust of the story where it goes from realizing the Covenant are there, early skirmishes, counter offensive then losing. Even though Call of Duty played the idea out really hard, it feels like the narrative would have benefited from the Spartans failing at stuff. Noble succeeds at every task given to them and dies handing off to Chief, who we know wins the war entirely. Halo is too locked into a power fantasy to have something like a mission where you're trying to help but the Covenant glass where you are before you can succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Shiroc posted:

I really like the broad thrust of the story where it goes from realizing the Covenant are there, early skirmishes, counter offensive then losing. Even though Call of Duty played the idea out really hard, it feels like the narrative would have benefited from the Spartans failing at stuff. Noble succeeds at every task given to them and dies handing off to Chief, who we know wins the war entirely. Halo is too locked into a power fantasy to have something like a mission where you're trying to help but the Covenant glass where you are before you can succeed.

They do a half measure where Noble Team succeeds at everything they set out to do, only for that success to be undone an instant later. Noble never fails, they only lose because events larger than them make their victories irrelevant.

It's hard to convey a sense of helplessness when you're also a one man killing machine. Exodus is my favourite level in Reach because it does show the difference a Spartan can make even when you can't be everywhere at once.

But the thing about Spartan 3s is that their entire existence was built on the notion of trading lives for time. They're not war winners, they're at best a delaying action to give the heroes time to shut down the doomsday device and save the world.

That's just a bit too cynical for Halo, though, so those deaths need heroic contextualizing in order to fit with the space opera vibe of the franchise.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 21, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Reach kind of a weird pairing with ODST. By time it comes out, you're very used to Marines dying and I think even within the overall fiction, ODSTs are basically also considered suicide troops? The main group spends a lot of the day being the special shock troops turning the tides of local conflicts, succeed in their secret mission (though I don't actually know what purpose the Engineer served in the larger story), everyone lives and Buck gets the girl.

Reach is the same broad story again, but with down endings for all of the characters but the final mission was obviously more important. I know the canon made up some story about how it was only some subsystems of Cortana to fit with the book but within the games, you're clearly delivering the one and only Cortana.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's hard to convey a sense of helplessness when you're also a one man killing machine. Exodus is my favourite level in Reach because it does show the difference a Spartan can make even when you can't be everywhere at once.

This is Bullfrog erasure

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Animal Friend posted:

This is Bullfrog erasure

Those morons jumped feet first into a grunt with a fuel rod cannon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Those morons jumped feet first into the ground

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And promptly broke their legs. I know how reliable drop pods and life pods are in Halo.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
everyone else in Noble was like "poo poo how do we match Jorge" and they all failed at it because nobody can match Jorge at anything :colbert:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And promptly broke their legs. I know how reliable drop pods and life pods are in Halo.

I mean, the Rookie managed to survive his drop without a chute.

And Buck's landed upside-down and he was fine.

That says to me they're actually quite reliable!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ablative posted:

I mean, the Rookie managed to survive his drop without a chute.

And Buck's landed upside-down and he was fine.

That says to me they're actually quite reliable!

How many pods got thrown off course and immediately killed when the carrier jumped away.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It always bugged me how Jorge just drops you out the door of the Covenant carrier and expects you to go somewhere. Jorge buddy you know what an orbit is!!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Arcsquad12 posted:

How many pods got thrown off course and immediately killed when the carrier jumped away.

Technically, none. Alpha-Nine were the ones who were off course.

And the pods are not rated for Slipspace.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Psion posted:

everyone else in Noble was like "poo poo how do we match Jorge" and they all failed at it because nobody can match Jorge at anything :colbert:

Jun couldn't even manage to die, 0/10

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jun survived only to be relegated to background comics and short stories for the rest of his life.

He's still alive, apparently. I think he was supposed to be helping the ODST squad members escape from Cortana's uprising.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 21, 2021

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Jun survived only to be relegated to background comics and short stories for the rest of his life.

a fate worse than death.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I'm always a sucker for the Rogue One/Reach/ODST type of storyline about Grunts getting it done (and usually all dying).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

General Battuta posted:

It always bugged me how Jorge just drops you out the door of the Covenant carrier and expects you to go somewhere. Jorge buddy you know what an orbit is!!

jorge is too cool and strong for orbital mechanics, it checks out

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He and the rest of the ODST gang.

They made a bad call by turning Mickey into a traitor criminal when Alan Tudyk is cool and good while Adam Baldwin turned into a gamergate moron and doesn't have nearly as much screen presence anymore.

Also they killed the Rookie which is unacceptable since he's the best player character of any Halo game and doesn't say a word.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Feels like they should've combined Reach and ODST into one game where you play marines searching for meaning and solace in the final hours of Reach.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
rookie dying "off-screen" in the extended universe is hella lame. but what is this about Mickey being a turncoat?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Ignoring Halo EU looking like a better and better call every day

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Feels like they should've combined Reach and ODST into one game where you play marines searching for meaning and solace in the final hours of Reach.

Reach and ODST are kinda rush jobs made to satisfy Microsoft demands for two more Halo games before they'd let Bungie go independent. I wouldn't mind seeing a grunt war game in Halo either. The marines are so much fun and full of personality.

Sally posted:

rookie dying "off-screen" in the extended universe is hella lame. but what is this about Mickey being a turncoat?

An insurrectionist captures Rookie and executes him before the rest of the squad can save him, so Alpha Nine disbands. Jun recruits Buck and Mickey into the Spartan IV program while Dutch retires for a bit (before he and his wife also become S4s). Mickey is still bummed about Rookie being dead so he betrays the UNSC and joins the insurrectionists to fight against Earth because he believes they're the ones responsible for bad Intel.

After the AI uprising Buck and Dutch spring Mickey from jail because he's got info they need and he's more or less been given a pardon for his betrayal.

It's dumb. As is every named character ever becoming a Spartan 4 Power Ranger because you're not allowed to be important unless you're a superhero in power armor.

I dont hate the concept of the Spartan 4s. I actually think it's a pretty logical step for posthuman supersoldiers to move away from ethically shady poo poo like kidnapping and child soldier. I just think it's super dumb that everyone now absolutely has to be a Spartan. It means we barely see marines anymore.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 21, 2021

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Considering Marines do nothing but die en masse that's probably for the best. Those idiots could lose a tank to a grunt.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Sally posted:

a fate worse than death.

I believe it's called "pulling a Rendar"

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I always felt Halo had untapped potential for setings outside of the Covenant War or the Forerunners. A game set during the insurrection with the UNMC as antagonists could be cool. Or a game focusing more on the Sangheili uprising during Halo 2, 3 thorough to 4. Doesn't even have to be a first person shooter either.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Elite spinoff game where you collect Brute pelts while refusing to acknowledge all the genocides you have done bragging about the number of humans you have personally killed because violence and martial prowess are your only measures of moral worth

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Turning the Elites into basically Klingons was a mistake, they were much cooler as slinky catlike Predator guys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Speaking of elites I think the season 7 content pack with the Elite armour pieces is supposed to drop on Wednesday.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elites should be stupid and lazy, and the only exposure we’ve had are all these aberrant, fanatical militaristic zealots and 99% of them are harmonious layabouts who just wanna chill out and smoke space drugs and not make waves.

I hate monocultures in Sci-fi.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

Elites should be stupid and lazy, and the only exposure we’ve had are all these aberrant, fanatical militaristic zealots and 99% of them are harmonious layabouts who just wanna chill out and smoke space drugs and not make waves.

I hate monocultures in Sci-fi.

Yeah, its lazy writing. I can understand it to start with because videogame, but as the series goes on that's totally room you can explore and instead we just get the dumbest direction possible.

UNSC are kinda fascist? Some humans are trying to rebel? Elites are a really cool species? What happens to the covenant after they all learn the truth? What happens to the human/elite truce after the war?

Nah gently caress all that poo poo we've got Cortana-the-space-hitler to deal with. That's the kind of story people love right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to see some Grunts in the UNSC or something; Halo 4 mentioned a few aliens are just hanging out living on Earth at one point or another (I think in a spartan ops cutscene?), have a Jackal join the ODST or a very confused Elite Spartan 4, have some fun with it

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Halo Nightfall establishes that there are a bunch of covenant refugees on Earth, doesn't it?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to see a grunt technically outrank Master Chief and get really smug about it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to see some Grunts in the UNSC or something; Halo 4 mentioned a few aliens are just hanging out living on Earth at one point or another (I think in a spartan ops cutscene?), have a Jackal join the ODST or a very confused Elite Spartan 4, have some fun with it

Yeah see that already sounds way more interesting than anything in H4 or H5.

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to see a grunt technically outrank Master Chief and get really smug about it

lmao

I would have accepted Del Rio if he was Unggoy.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I would love to see a set of elite armor done in the UNSC look. It would be an interesting change from the usual sleek and curved armor they have.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its lazy writing. I can understand it to start with because videogame, but as the series goes on that's totally room you can explore and instead we just get the dumbest direction possible.

UNSC are kinda fascist? Some humans are trying to rebel? Elites are a really cool species? What happens to the covenant after they all learn the truth? What happens to the human/elite truce after the war?

Nah gently caress all that poo poo we've got Cortana-the-space-hitler to deal with. That's the kind of story people love right?

You literally go to the Elite homeworld in Halo 5 to wrap up the Covenant aftermath so this argument is kind of limp.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

General Battuta posted:

You literally go to the Elite homeworld in Halo 5 to wrap up the Covenant aftermath so this argument is kind of limp.

I imagine it's an honorable fight-based economy and the only profession is military excellence and the only resources are swords and everything they do pertains to military heritages

Their national sport is laser-sword-fighting, their national icon is a sword because swords are honorable weapons, their national bird is a swordbird that also engages in honor fights, their government is called The Swords Of Whatever Their Planet Is Called, there are no women and if there are women they are also warriors and also it's post-scarcity and there are no craftsmen or artisans or farmers, that's all done by machines or they trade weapons and fighting ability to lesser races who build their poo poo for them because Elites only care about one thing and one thing only: honorable combat. Love? Please, what a human concept-- we have a fight-based romantic culture, and love is considered the most noble of combats. In fact the typical Elite's first lover takes their arm off during a sword duel, and it's the greatest moment of their life.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jokes you would be shocked to learn how accurate those jokes are

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find it funny that the Brutes actually have better development as a realized species than the Elites. They're basically Wookiees crossed with Krogan that nuked their home planet before the Covenant found them, they're by far the newest species added to the faction (by only a handful of decades before first contact with humanity) and they're deeply divided and multicultural due to their intense social and familial bonds.

While they are only shown in a military capacity there is more going on with them because those family bonds are so important. Pavium and Voridus from Halo Wars 2 have a fun brother dynamic and the Berserk mechanic also helps emphasize their social dynamics. Theyve got their own industry, with brute vehicles being weaponized farming equipment and they're clearly skilled artisans to make their own visual style for Covenant designs.

Halo Wars 1 doesn't have a lot to offer story wise but Halo Wars 2 does a really good job establishing social dynamics within the aliens. Heck they even have a mastermind Hunter pair called Colony that the other Banished commanders don't like because they think the worms are arrogant jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

General Battuta posted:

Jokes you would be shocked to learn how accurate those jokes are

Well now I'm gonna do a wiki dive to see how dumb it gets

e:

halopedia posted:

A prominent example of this martial focus is that only aristocrats are allowed to wield energy swords and that sword-wielders are then no longer eligible for marriage; however, they may breed with any female they choose, married or otherwise, to ensure successful transmission of "swordsman" genes.

Uhhhh

halopedia posted:

Raised from childhood to be warriors, other societal roles are treated as secondary endeavors or even hobbies. Doctors are considered outright dishonorable as they "spill blood" outside the battlefield;despite this, the Sangheili are known to employ advanced medical technologythat is superior to humanity's.Few doctors exist within Sangheili society. Instead, Huragok and other species are employed as medical personnel. Most injuries sustained by the Sangheili can easily be treated by the medical technology employed by the species, otherwise they accept their fate. However, Sangheili hold disdain for using medical technology to treat themselves and some personally would rather suffer through their injury or die.

Lol so, straight up, there's one profession and it is killing people. This is how a galaxy-spanning civilization operates?

halopedia posted:

In Sangheili culture, it is customary to settle disagreements with authority by assassination, though one has to use personal weapons in order for the practice to be considered honorable.For example, if a council elder believes that his vote was ill-advised or had second thoughts, it is considered a tradition for council elders to initiate some form of attack, such as sending assassins, against the kaidon in order "...to test the true merit of [the] ruler's martial abilities." The belief was that "a kaidon who could not defend himself was not a true leader."Should the attack fail, the responsible elder will be executed immediately, and his family will be killed.

What the gently caress lol

halopedia posted:

During this time, Arbiter Thel 'Vadam managed to gather a sizable alliance of keeps under the banner of the Swords of Sanghelios, which became the preeminent governmental entity among the Sangheili

:lol: wow Halo lore is stupid as poo poo, I had no idea it was that dumb. Was this Bungie, 343, or errant book writers' doing?

Sci-fi monocultures are a disgrace

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 22, 2021