Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I don’t think Johnson is particularly interested (or capable?) of making especially pointed and biting satire. I think he uses these movies as a platform to poke fun at the types of people he finds annoying and that’s about the extent of it.

If you’re expecting truly insightful social commentary you’ll probably be disappointed. I’m not especially interested in a filmic exploration of Rian Johnson’s ideology anyway. I doubt it’s very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Characters in most Poirot stories were rich entitled pricks this is just our generations versions of them

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

Characters in most Poirot stories were rich entitled pricks this is just our generations versions of them

i think the trouble is Johnson can only really write thin knockoffs of better mystery writers (Christie in these movies, Hammett in Brick)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I thinks it's fair to say a majority of the characters are underwritten tbh

I didn't care because I was having a good time with the movie

They're definitely underwritten but not under-directed, their performances drip with character.

I don't think it's noticeably different from the first one in that regard. That one did have the benefit of the initial police interviews to give everybody more of a spotlight, but I'm not really sure that I missed getting extended intros this time around.

EDIT: I do wish that the extended flashback was better utilized; it gave us a new angle on Duke but didn't reveal anything particularly interesting about the others.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

the holy poopacy posted:

They're definitely underwritten but not under-directed, their performances drip with character.

I can agree with this

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

I think the first one had characters that didn't feel like they were just cutouts of tired punching bags, like Miles, Duke, Birdie and Claire. I know it's punching up mostly but it's all been done 100 times, and they're all exactly who they appear to be in their first scene so it totally relies on you enjoying the joke.

In Knives Out, the family itself was a type, but the individuals within it felt like specific characters rather than basic riffs. They also have the fun turn from pretending to treat Ana De Armas as family, to completely turning against her when she gets the money. Chris Evans even has a double turn - rear end in a top hat, ally, biggest rear end in a top hat of all. Glass Onion doesn't really have any of this, I think the script just tries to dazzle you with detail as it goes to make your head spin but none of the new information feels important because it doesn't reveal anything about the characters that you don't basically know from the prologue. I suppose that ties into the Glass Onion concept but it didn't make for an engrossing story.

Well apart from the Helen/Andi thing, but that didn't work for me for other reasons. It's an okay movie but I think it's a bad script.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

roomtone posted:

I think the first one had characters that didn't feel like they were just cutouts of tired punching bags, like Miles, Duke, Birdie and Claire. I know it's punching up mostly but it's all been done 100 times, and they're all exactly who they appear to be in their first scene so it totally relies on you enjoying the joke.

this is exactly it, yeah. the characters in Knives Out were still fairly cartoonish but they at least had more than one character trait apiece (well, except Toni Collette and the little alt-right kid I guess)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He or they purposely did a much different movie that was more garish and superficial. I think that fits the story well .

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

roomtone posted:

In Knives Out, the family itself was a type, but the individuals within it felt like specific characters rather than basic riffs. They also have the fun turn from pretending to treat Ana De Armas as family, to completely turning against her when she gets the money. Chris Evans even has a double turn - rear end in a top hat, ally, biggest rear end in a top hat of all. Glass Onion doesn't really have any of this, I think the script just tries to dazzle you with detail as it goes to make your head spin but none of the new information feels important because it doesn't reveal anything about the characters that you don't basically know from the prologue. I suppose that ties into the Glass Onion concept but it didn't make for an engrossing story.

Well apart from the Helen/Andi thing, but that didn't work for me for other reasons. It's an okay movie but I think it's a bad script.

The original Knives Out characters didn't feel tired because I've have a good long "rest" from Agatha Christie and old style English country house mysteries. Original KO was a rip on an "Old Money" family. The old patriarch (and original money-maker), the eldest daughter who wants to claim to be self-made but who daddy's money helped start, the middle son who pretends to want to be self-made but really wants to inherit the publishing business and take no real risks, the daughter-in-law wanting to squeeze a few eggs out of golden goose grand-dad for herself, the bad-boy black sheep who still wants to be part of the flock,etc.

Glass Onion was more about new fame/money.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Ironically, and accurately to real life, it does seem kinda flipped. The best gag in Knives Out is the reveal the house hasn't even been in the family for more than forty years. Harlan and his family feel like old money and maybe Harlan was rich before that--It's been a bit since I watched the movie--but the wealth seems very concentrated in him and his work. So, they are relatively new money who just feel like old money.

We don't know EXACTLY Bron's origins, but it seems pretty clear that he had a lot of money before the company took off. The sense that you got was that he was just shifting his weight and money around to create a false image of himself.

Taken together, I think Knives Out and Glass Onion essentially present relatively new money that feels like old money and old money masquerading as new money, and the only conclusion that can be drawn is that it's all just kinda bullshit and aesthetics.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Timeless Appeal posted:

Taken together, I think Knives Out and Glass Onion essentially present relatively new money that feels like old money and old money masquerading as new money, and the only conclusion that can be drawn is that it's all just kinda bullshit and aesthetics.

I mean, both movies involve those rich people first presented as having all sorts of differences but then putting those differences aside to protect their money.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This thread is really making me annoyed that Knives Out isn't streaming anywhere

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

precision posted:

This thread is really making me annoyed that Knives Out isn't streaming anywhere

It's on Netflix in Australia, so maybe you could VPN it?

Not much help I know

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did Netflix not get the streaming rights to it when they paid hundreds of millions for the sequels, or are they withholding it to keep more eyes on the sequel?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did Netflix not get the streaming rights to it when they paid hundreds of millions for the sequels, or are they withholding it to keep more eyes on the sequel?

The distributor for the first movie did not own the IP, so when Netflix bought the sequels distribution for the first one was not on the table.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I thought they’d bought the whole series for 420m and that included the original film. Rights are weird.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Maybe they are waiting for previous agreements to expire, I dunno.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

precision posted:

I snagged it from Amazon Prime Video and I don't know if it's streaming "free" anywhere else. I admit that I was a little annoyed that it wasn't on Netflix.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Everyone posted:

I snagged it from Amazon Prime Video and I don't know if it's streaming "free" anywhere else. I admit that I was a little annoyed that it wasn't on Netflix.

The Internet Archive has it.

Don’t ask me why the Internet Archive has it, but going by the upload date, it’s been there for over a year.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I originally thought that Duke was Jordan Peterson + Andrew Tate but that was when I thought Whiskey was his daughter.

Tate only really came to fame within the last year so it’s unlikely he was considered in the production. If Duke resembles Tate that’s an indicator of what an empty archetype Tate himself is as a human probably.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've never listened to a podcast or watched a video by any of these ranty MRA assholes, so can't say if Duke is modelled on anyone specific, but as a generic "my brand is based on being loud and angry and macho and obsessed with blunt signifiers of a particular kind of masculinity like guns and cars and tattoos and loving hot chicks" online celebrity, he ticked the boxes. It was just fluke that Tate was in the news when the movie came out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Platystemon posted:

The Internet Archive has it.

Don’t ask me why the Internet Archive has it, but going by the upload date, it’s been there for over a year.

Huh

It sure does

Lmao

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Timeless Appeal posted:

Ironically, and accurately to real life, it does seem kinda flipped. The best gag in Knives Out is the reveal the house hasn't even been in the family for more than forty years. Harlan and his family feel like old money and maybe Harlan was rich before that--It's been a bit since I watched the movie--but the wealth seems very concentrated in him and his work. So, they are relatively new money who just feel like old money.

We don't know EXACTLY Bron's origins, but it seems pretty clear that he had a lot of money before the company took off. The sense that you got was that he was just shifting his weight and money around to create a false image of himself.

Edited because I didn't actually mean to empty quote this time - not that this post isn't worthy of it.

Harlen and his family treat Marta (or want to appear to treat Marta) the way they think that "good" old money folks would, like "one of the family."

Bron treats his servants/employees the way old money actually does - like semi-sentient furniture that can put away/sent home if convenient.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 13, 2023

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's so funny to come back to like a hundred posts of trying to nail down which specific Chud Batista is supposed to be when the answer is all of them. Same way that Norton isn't Musk, he's just that type of guy. Trying to pinpoint who they're most like just seems pointless.

Anyway, enjoyed this more on second viewing. I still think it's a waste of a location but I appreciate how differently things play out in the first half once you know the plot.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

DrVenkman posted:

it's so funny to come back to like a hundred posts of trying to nail down which specific Chud Batista is supposed to be when the answer is all of them. Same way that Norton isn't Musk, he's just that type of guy. Trying to pinpoint who they're most like just seems pointless.

Yes! Yes, thank you!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Everyone posted:

Edited because I didn't actually mean to empty quote this time - not that this post isn't worthy of it.

Harlen and his family treat Marta (or want to appear to treat Marta) the way they think that "good" old money folks would, like "one of the family."

Bron treats his servants/employees the way old money actually does - like semi-sentient furniture that can put away/sent home if convenient.

I'm not here

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DrVenkman posted:

It's so funny to come back to like a hundred posts of trying to nail down which specific Chud Batista is supposed to be when the answer is all of them. Same way that Norton isn't Musk, he's just that type of guy. Trying to pinpoint who they're most like just seems pointless.

Anyway, enjoyed this more on second viewing. I still think it's a waste of a location but I appreciate how differently things play out in the first half once you know the plot.
*100 posts of Rogan stans insisting that Rogan is not one of the chuds that Batisita was supposed to be modeled after. While the rest of us point out the obvious similarities.*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What are you talking about dude

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Main stream media is incredibly right wing and full of toxic masculine idiots.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

th3t00t posted:

*100 posts of Rogan stans insisting that Rogan is not one of the chuds that Batisita was supposed to be modeled after. While the rest of us point out the obvious similarities.*

I just think being a podcaster is an important part of being joe rogan. That’s my only argument but that’s fine if it doesn’t jive with anyone else

I don’t like joe rogan. I wish the worst for him tbh

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

DoctorWhat posted:

What are you talking about dude

What happened is we have about a half dozen posters in this thread who have the very typical Online Political mindset of "if somebody doesn't believe my politics I'm allowed to say whatever I want about them and if you object you must be the bad guy too". At it's most ridiculous they say stuff like "Alex Jones and Joe Rogan are the same guy basically" and if you object they'll say "what are you, some sort of fascist? drawing distinctions like this?" That's the entire game here, you either agree with them utterly or the implicit threat is that you're the bad guy too, even if you too think they're both bad (but one is a bigger problem than the other, or bad in distinct ways, or whatever). This is not a discussion anymore, this is power projection/clout chasing. Now they're literally trying to gaslight the thread about what happened in the last three or four pages for the same purpose. They'll bitch about how much posting there was about the topic...while posting about it.

Want to actually fix the problem? Just shut the gently caress up about it already and talk about some other aspect of the movie. The discussion about Duke is over.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What happened is we have about a half dozen posters in this thread who have the very typical Online Political mindset of "if somebody doesn't believe my politics I'm allowed to say whatever I want about them and if you object you must be the bad guy too". At it's most ridiculous they say stuff like "Alex Jones and Joe Rogan are the same guy basically" and if you object they'll say "what are you, some sort of fascist? drawing distinctions like this?" That's the entire game here, you either agree with them utterly or the implicit threat is that you're the bad guy too, even if you too think they're both bad (but one is a bigger problem than the other, or bad in distinct ways, or whatever). This is not a discussion anymore, this is power projection/clout chasing. Now they're literally trying to gaslight the thread about what happened in the last three or four pages for the same purpose. They'll bitch about how much posting there was about the topic...while posting about it.

/

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Want to actually fix the problem? Just shut the gently caress up about it already and talk about some other aspect of the movie. The discussion about Duke is over.

aids

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

OK, I remember this part from the movie. You need to drink more kombucha. Or maybe less.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i think that Duke, was Joe Rogan

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Effed up if correct

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I just think being a podcaster is an important part of being joe rogan. That’s my only argument but that’s fine if it doesn’t jive with anyone else
Nobody disagrees with your first sentence on its own. If a character was meant to be based on Joe Rogan specifically, then covering the important facets of Joe Rogan would matter. But for a character based on a kind of person for which Joe Rogan is but one notable example, no.

And the fact that you kept trying to talk about details of joe rogan that would only be relevant to a character more specifically based on him, made it seem like you didn't get the difference.

Clear now?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Hey is the natasha lyonne show good? I haven't had time to watch it but since it's gonna be Chinese New year I may be able to

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's not out yet, think it's the 24th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Oh I misread and thought it was the 15th which is when the last of us started, lol