Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think my favorite thing about this movie is they didn't waste all the good dialogue lines in the trailer so there were some genuinely great moments Donut hole/nazi child/gravity's rainbow that were total surprises.

Man there were a lot of great little quirky things to notice. No one in this movie is stupid, but a lot of them are assholes. That final shot with her holding the mug looking down on the rest of them outside in the cold was *kiss fingers* perfect.

I really liked how Meg ended up being just as big a piece of poo poo as the rest of them. Arguably worse since she's the only one who knew Marta well enough to actually betray her, and immediately did so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

re: Harlan I think his primary motivation wasn't to make sure that Marta got the money but to make sure that his family didn't. None of the rich people in the family did things for noble reasons and Harlan was no exception IMO. He was spiteful enough to kill himself to make sure they didn't get it, and he succeeded at that! As Blanc points out, if he had listened to her he wouldn't have died. He was no better than the rest.

re: Linda I figured the invisible ink thing out as soon as I saw the letter was blank because Linda had gone on about her Dad playing "games" and having to play along to communicate with him. They showed her reading a bunch of identically marked letters with brown ink later too. I actually cracked up really hard at the husband winding up to throw that baseball through window and then it just plopping onto the grass outside because it was open. Great little visual gag.

re: The dogs I also about died when the dog came back with the lattice plank after Marta tossed it and handing it Blanc directly. But the dogs were the big clue there was more going on during the whole movie since we knew the dogs barked (Meg heard them) but Marta wasn't why they barked because the dogs liked and knew Marta. Ransom was the only character we see the dogs bark at during the rest of the movie. That was really the only loose end that didn't fit for the majority of the middle of the movie and I had to wait all the way until the end for the payoff on it.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Blanc has to be there as the outside detective or the movie doesn't work. You could say that they could have had the actors switch roles but someone had to play the cop and someone had to play the detective. Ransom hiring the detective anonymously was kind of an important plot point.

Also if you haven't been in a situation where you had to awkwardly hug someone, I can tell you that Marta's body language made it pretty clear to me that things were forced as gently caress. And Meg is right out there with the rest of them at the end. I do not think Marta has forgiven her. "It's okay" isn't "everything is forgiven" it's just filler words to get that person to stop touching you. Meg is overhuggy throughout the movie, as if being willing to hug Marta means they're friends. But they're not, and you realize they never were, just that Meg is performative about treating her like a person. Like how she assumed Marta needed some weed and raided 'the stash.' It's early enough this goes under the radar but do you guys think Marta smokes? Or is it more likely that Meg was using Marta's pain as a cover to justify stealing the joint for herself? Meg isn't a racist, but she is just as selfish and self-absorbed as the rest of them.

Like if Marta HAD forgiven Meg I'd agree that's a poo poo message but I really didn't think she did.