Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I loved this movie. The whole foreshadowing bit with her being better at Go than the other two because she had no stategy beyond making a nice pattern was really clever I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

the scene where Ransom is accosted by the dogs instantly made me think he did it. I didn't know how he did it, of course, but it was him. That's the kind of seemingly innocuous detail that always ends up being important during the reveal! Then, later on, when the detective made the comment "Dogs are a good judge of character" that sealed the deal for me. Felt satisfying to know I was right!

Same, but with the blank letter. It almost looked like there were invisible letters for a second when it hit the light, and then when Jamie Lee Curtis showed her other letters I knew those weren't just smudges of age and ink! Kinda expected it to have a bit more to it though, other than just "hey your marriage is ruined now."

That was something we were discussing after the movie: everyone seems to lose financially but keeps their immediate family, but the favorite(?) daughter still has her business though is left with a cheating husband and a murdering son.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

yeah what on earth are you talking about, the whole point is that she isn't a jerk. She was willing to be accused of murdering two people to save the poisoned lady who was "accusing" her as she was dying. The movie had racists in it, but it wasn't a movie about racism, it was about entitled shitheads protecting their wealth. Am I forgetting a scene where Meg was even racist?

That said though, it did seem weird that the one person who didn't really have any direct repercussions that I could tell was the nazi kid.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Saw the movie last night.
Scenes that could have used waaaaay more time being When the lights go out and everyone's running around, gave me the taste of Clue without really feeding it, there was that scene of birdie with the knife we didn't see except for a split second during the events recap at the end, so obviously they cut segments from it.

also the scene showing what it would have looked like if everyone had done it in *blank*'s kitchen. would have loved more scenes like that. The suspect actors felt underused because just so much time was spent flashing back with Blanc and Helen

It's weird, I loved the movie and thought it was funny as hell, the acting is spectacular (Kate Hudson knocks it out of the drat park) but it fell kind of short. I give it a B, but it could have been an A++
This is my only major complaint. As soon as the flashback started, I was taken out a bit, and it lasted way too long.

I will never solve a mystery in a movie, so I have fun trying to figure them out hoping I'll be clever this time ("a-ha, he must've had pineapple juice in his drink, I bet it was an accident and now everyone is going to kill each other And Then There Were None style"), but the switcheroo that there was already a previous murder was a weird late twist. Was there any clue that she wasn't the real person beforehand other than Blanc playing Among Us? Makes me wonder if we were supposed to see the Janus coffee mug earlier.

Enjoyed the movie though, his disgust with Musk's lack of creativity was the highlight for me, and when he realized even the gun in the dark was plagiarized was :kiss:
KO was a 10, this was maybe an 8.5 but maybe I need a rewatch.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

The main one I can think of is that she has an entirely different look and hairstyle in the opening scene where she gets the box. Obviously people can change those things, but in a mystery where every detail is pointedly placed there it stands out.

I guess I just assumed that her sitting in an old bathrobe smashing the bullshit made sense after all the talk about how everything had been taken from her, but definitely a fair point (I didn't pay attention to the hair).

And I just remembered that a bunch of the others said things like "somethings off about her" and later "there's the Andy I know." but still, what a twist!

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Srice posted:

Agreed but if nothing else I can respect Kenneth Branagh for opening Death on the Nile with a black and white origin story for Poirot's mustache.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Too much flashback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It only hit theaters at all because Johnson really wanted it. Netflix doesn’t want you to see it in theaters, they want you to subscribe to Netflix.

It's purely for award consideration right? Seems like netflix would be at least somewhat interested in that, though maybe it doesn't make that much of a difference