Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Michael Shannon looks fab on that poster, I can't wait to get me some Michael Shannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Like with all whodunnits, Knives Out's big reveal isn't wholly satisfactory. Martha can feel that the bottle was correct? Fran chooses to confront Ransom in some deserted unit? Blanc allows Martha to destroy evidence before ascertaining her guilt? Fran really did just know someone in the toxicology department?

But I think this movie succeeds because it isn't too preoccupied with nailing the twist. It accepts the "crazy coincidence" stuff as a natural part of the whodunnit world and brushes past it. It focuses on fleshing out characters, building clever jokes and developing subtext. The many breadcrumbs pointed out in this thread often serve those ends rather than build intrigue or contribute to the reveal.

In that way it resembles Johnson's earlier film, Looper. For a "hard" sci-fi film it refuses to spend much time dealing with the time travel paradox; instead it mostly uses the genre's trappings to enable and deliver unique character moments.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get that a Southern accent often means dumbass in America, but I don't recall any other characters appearing to diss Blanc's intellect on the basis of his accent. Ransom does it at one point in a conversation with Martha, but given that he hired Blanc and that he's trying to manipulate Martha... I don't think you could take that at face value, man.

As another goon mentioned it feels like the accent is meant (a) to be a fun thing and (b) to cast Blanc as the from-out-of-town detective, not an unusual trope in whodunnits.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’d love if they did a spiritual sequel with no characters from the original. That’s the best way to keep these things fresh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I struggle to think of the last whodunnit where the mystery, the intrigue and the reveal were all just perfectly, reasonably plotted. It’s a genre for which lower standards might be justified, somewhat similar to horror.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol at saying a Rogan character has to be a podcaster. What universe do you live in where satire maps 1:1 with reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s pretty clear each of the characters draw inspiration or resembles from a variety of archetypes and actual humans. They’re all composite characters. Duke quite obviously gets his visage from the big bald idiot internet men like Rogan and other parts of him from some other idiot internet men. Quibbling that they are not exactly alike seems like a dick wanking excuse to tell the whole world how much you know about Rogan.