Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
So I got pulled over for speeding. :cop: I'm guilty as gently caress but the human-porcine hybrid ruining my evening mixed up the speed I was going and the posted speed limit. The citation basically goes like this:

Alleged Speed: 45
Posted speed limit: 60

Those numbers should be reversed...

This got me thinking about maybe actually going to the court appearance rather than settling it up over the phone because I might be able to get out of it. Anyone ever challenge a ticket successfully?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
you’re hosed op

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Nope, about a year ago I got busted for going 88mph in a 70, it was early morning, clear weather and barely any other traffic about but the copper reckoned I was going nearly 100. I told him if I was doing nearly 100 my car would have been shaking like mad and i'd have known. He said he was doing me a favour by just clocking me at 88 otherwise i'd have been done for reckless driving too and would have lost my licence (new driver, less than 2 years.)

Took the 3 points and £100 fine. I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK I doubt a ticket would get overturned for an administrative error. In fact if you went to court here you'd probably have to pay more.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
As a matter of principle I always plead "not guilty" At the very least I have had the ticket reduced, but more often than not they'll just drop it or offer a charitable donation in lieu of a guilty plea. I've seen people try to use the technicality route (make in the model field, wrong color, etc) and it gets hand waved right out of the get so I would play it straight.
Either way traffic court is usually pretty lax so if you can afford to I'd go! It usually winds up being interesting/funny hearing the other people's little traffic tales.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Dell_Zincht posted:

I don't know how it works in the US but in the UK I doubt a ticket would get overturned for an administrative error. In fact if you went to court here you'd probably have to pay more.

A lot of times here the cop doesn't even show up. I'm just hoping that even if he does I can point out the lack of accurate recorded evidence and bounce off scot free.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Resting Lich Face posted:

youre not guilty of doing 45 in a 60 so go for it. the cop might not even show up

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
At least you don't have to blow into something to start your car.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Zeluth posted:

I'm an alcoholic and an rear end in a top hat but not that kind of alcoholic rear end in a top hat. Stay home or have a ride lined up.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
The trick is when you first go to court, walk up to the biggest scariest looking person you see and punch 'em in the face. You will get your rear end kicked, but you'll earn the court's respect and nobody will gently caress with you. Trust me.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Nah, the judge will cite you on going too slow and obstructing traffic so he can get back to trying to get his dick sucked by the new young intern.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm an alcoholic and an rear end in a top hat but not that kind of alcoholic rear end in a top hat. Stay home or have a ride lined up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jVlwb9MeD8

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Zeluth posted:

Yeah. To be honest that's how I usually get out of speeding ticket too.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Frankenstyle posted:

fist go to court [...]punch 'em in the face

:hmmyes:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

And who the gently caress sets a 45 MPH speed limit on a divided road flanked by a nature reserve on one side and empty government land on the other side anyway?

:argh:

As an American citizen it is my duty to rebel against unjust laws. Or whatever the cool rebel types say these days... praxis or some poo poo?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

So I got pulled over for speeding. :cop: I'm guilty as gently caress but the human-porcine hybrid ruining my evening mixed up the speed I was going and the posted speed limit. The citation basically goes like this:

Those numbers should be reversed...

This got me thinking about maybe actually going to the court appearance rather than settling it up over the phone because I might be able to get out of it. Anyone ever challenge a ticket successfully?

OP ask yourself why do you not physically tear up and eat the ticket?

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

just suck the dix to pay the tix

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Frankenstyle posted:

The trick is when you first go to court, walk up to the biggest scariest looking person you see and punch 'em in the face. You will get your rear end kicked, but you'll earn the court's respect and nobody will gently caress with you. Trust me.

This made me laugh a lot, I thank you!

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This is important OP so pay attention. Go to traffic court and look for the american flag. If it has gold fringe and an eagle on top, report back here immediately!!!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I had a weed related offense dropped because the dip poo poo wrote the wrong court date on the ticket lmao

Yeah buddy that cop done hosed up and you're not going to pay.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

In my experience if you show up, you're well dressed, and you say things like "yes your honor" and "no your honor" and "I apologize your honor" and also you're white you can get away with most things.

hosed up but true

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

A lot of times here the cop doesn't even show up. I'm just hoping that even if he does I can point out the lack of accurate recorded evidence and bounce off scot free.

nah chances are if he shows up they'll give him the leeway on an obvious clerical error you have much better odds following this advice:

great big cardboard tube posted:

In my experience if you show up, you're well dressed, and you say things like "yes your honor" and "no your honor" and "I apologize your honor" and also you're white you can get away with most things.

hosed up but true

Show up and if the cop doesn't show you win, if he does go with the "Look I didn't know the (unposted speed limit)" and whatnot while playing to your upstanding whiteness. I've never met a judge who likes precocious little shits who try to get off on technicalities and wasting their time. The more you try to play up "Well look I obviously got caught but you didn't write the paperwork correctly" the more the judge'll look for an excuse to gently caress you. -And since this isn't a situation where you have a lawyer they'll probably get away with it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I deal with traffic tickets all the time and more than likely you will have to pay the fine plus court costs unless the officer doesn't show up for whatever reason. Pretty rare for me to see a speeding ticket dismissed. Not to say I haven't had people try and contest tickets for dumb reasons like the officer gave the wrong information on the ticket, but good luck getting a judge to side with you on technicalities on a ticket.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

First ticket I got was out of town. Three months later is my court date, so I drive 3 hours to attend. Judge doesn't call my name, so after he's done he asks if there's any other court business so I went up. He found my docket I guess, and I pled guilty. He kind of looked at me funny, then pointed where I could go to pay.

Turns out you don't have to show up if you want to just pay the fine

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

where do yall live where the judge sees you for a traffic ticket?

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Savage For The Winjun posted:

where do yall live where the judge sees you for a traffic ticket?

The entire United States? You don't have to show if you just want to pay it but if you want to dispute it you go before a judge

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually, it's a little known Law FactTM that they have to pay you for this type of infraction.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Appeal it all the way to the Supreme Court OP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Generally I would say that you have better odds to beat a careless driving ticket where the officer did not witness the accident. If that is the case then they need to have a witness. If they don't, the case is probably going to get dismissed. If they do have a witness, that witness has to show up to court and give a statement or it's probably going to get dismissed.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
op you can't be arrested for the same crime twice so if you have to pay the ticket you can speed on that street forever!
I saw it in a documentary once

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you're going to bother to show up to court, why not try to fight it? worst case, you still have to pay the speeding ticket. best case, you get no points on your license and your insurance doesn't go up

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You shouldn’t have created joinder with the police officer you dipshit now you’re in their system and you’re hosed. And that’s the real you not the corporation of the same name.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You’re supposed to scream I do not wish to create joinder with you and then curl up into a ball so when the cop smashes out your window with his night stick you don’t get shards in your eyes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Most people know the billy club is another name for a nightstick but they don’t know that the reason they’re called billy clubs is because Billy Shropshire of Ipswich was the first person to be sodomized with one.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

just pay the ticket, realize you can afford it, and speed more

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I got a ticket last month, 55 in a 35, the cop also saw that my address on my license was out of date.

I went to court and told him I had been driving slower, and had gone to the DMV to update my address and gotten a new ID.

He threw out both tickets because I had obediently told him what to do. I said thank you and left and then grabbed the one-hitter and some pot I had stashed in a tree outside the courthouse because I had forgotten it was in my bag until I was halfway through the security line and said “oh poo poo I forgot my insurance in the car!” and performatively slapped my head with my hand and stepped outside to hide it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I have gotten out of multiple tickets because I showed up to court clean shaven with my shirt tucked in.

That's literally more than 90% of people will do.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
i challenged a speeding ticket and won, OP and I think you've got an easy case to beat, assuming you have no other history. Most people dont fight tickets, so if you did the judge probably will probably just give you a freebie. Also, if you take it to court and the cop doesn't show, i think this mix-up would 100% go in your favor. Just take the chance you pussy, this is your chance to speed, get caught, and get away with it! Then you too will earn a story about how you beat a speeding ticket and can post it in the next thread when a similar pants pissing little baby starts freaking out about THEIR ticket and you can swoop in and show them how suave you really are

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I got a ticket last month, 55 in a 35, the cop also saw that my address on my license was out of date.

I went to court and told him I had been driving slower, and had gone to the DMV to update my address and gotten a new ID.

He threw out both tickets because I had obediently told him what to do. I said thank you and left and then grabbed the one-hitter and some pot I had stashed in a tree outside the courthouse because I had forgotten it was in my bag until I was halfway through the security line and said “oh poo poo I forgot my insurance in the car!” and performatively slapped my head with my hand and stepped outside to hide it.

hows the senate treating you

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
this clip is fairly decent but im still confident the episode managed to be terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

i challenged a speeding ticket and won, OP and I think you've got an easy case to beat, assuming you have no other history. Most people dont fight tickets, so if you did the judge probably will probably just give you a freebie. Also, if you take it to court and the cop doesn't show, i think this mix-up would 100% go in your favor. Just take the chance you pussy, this is your chance to speed, get caught, and get away with it! Then you too will earn a story about how you beat a speeding ticket and can post it in the next thread when a similar pants pissing little baby starts freaking out about THEIR ticket and you can swoop in and show them how suave you really are

I'm freaking out? That's news to me...