Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
Probably the finest beating I received as a kid was totally warranted. After being specifically told, in no uncertain terms, to not play baseball in my grandparents yard, ever, because a window might get broken. You can probably guess the rest. My grandfather was a hard-rear end ww2 and Korean war p51 pilot and though he was a good guy when I got to know him when I was an adult he wasn't great with kids. We were pretty much terrified of the guy. And me being me, I shot a baseball right through the window where he was watching football. On thanksgiving. We still tell that story on thanksgiving. My younger brother also caught a beating for that as he was pitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Not many spankings, generally we'd get stuff thrown at us which I think nicely combined senseless anger with not giving enough of a gently caress to even come over to where I was to hit me.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Myron Baloney posted:

Not many spankings, generally we'd get stuff thrown at us which I think nicely combined senseless anger with not giving enough of a gently caress to even come over to where I was to hit me.

This is my new moderation approach.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Burt Sexual posted:

This is a c/p unattributed, someone post the link.

No man I just got regularly beat and hit as a kid and it hosed me up for years I dunno why that seems hard to believe.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Also makes you distrustful of authority figures, teachers, and adults. I was defiant as poo poo and mostly only because it was my gut reaction and not out of any reasonable resistance to unreasonable demands. I assumed every adult or authority figure was probing me, just waiting for me to gently caress up and do something wrong, so I inherently distrusted them and avoided communicating with them meaningfully. Adults seemed alien and antagonistic to me well into my teens, probably long after they were humanized for other kids. Even when teachers were nice to me for doing well there was always a barrier.

I wasn't spanked as a kid so I learned to distrust authority figures the right way: by plainly witnessing their incompetence and realizing that they weren't any smarter or better than us, just more experienced and in control of power

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
I remember these, not fondly, but well. My mom would go to town with a ruler, and it didn't really *hurt*, but it kind of sucked cause I could tell she didn't want to.

Then I got the dreaded "Wait till your Dad gets home." Then it'd be the belt, on the rear end. He went off the handle sometimes, and would go a bit further, but nothing insane (by 80's standards).

I remember one time my mom broke a yard stick over my rear end. We were outside and it was cold, so I thinks that why it broke. I just started laughing, ... then she did, too. Almost goddamn wholesome. She did like to grab me by the jaw, and dig in her nails to be all like "LOOK AT ME!"

And my pops would do the same thing, like pinning me against the wall and yelling. And gently caress, I couldn't help but start to smile and giggle just because he looked so loving pissed over whatever stupid thing it was. .. That is when things got kinda lovely. It was basically a young rear end punk getting yelled at by some loving loser that was going insane right in front of them. I found it hilarious.

.. No kids, but if I had some, I'd probably just pick them up and spin them until they're sick or some poo poo. whooooo knooooooows

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

No man I just got regularly beat and hit as a kid and it hosed me up for years I dunno why that seems hard to believe.

I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
As soon as the palm gets close you had to spurt out a fat rancid dook on it. My parents never raised a hand to me again.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't remember being spanked as a child. But I have vivid memories of being threatened to be spanked.

Basically if me or my brother, wouldn't finish our dinner, or were doing something untoward, then mum would bring out the wooden spoon and put it on the kitchen table and meaningfully look at it. This generally quietened us down.

Although we must have been hit with it at least once for it to have put such the fear of god into us

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

blight rhino posted:

I remember these, not fondly, but well. My mom would go to town with a ruler, and it didn't really *hurt*, but it kind of sucked cause I could tell she didn't want to.

Then I got the dreaded "Wait till your Dad gets home." Then it'd be the belt, on the rear end. He went off the handle sometimes, and would go a bit further, but nothing insane (by 80's standards).

I remember one time my mom broke a yard stick over my rear end. We were outside and it was cold, so I thinks that why it broke. I just started laughing, ... then she did, too. Almost goddamn wholesome. She did like to grab me by the jaw, and dig in her nails to be all like "LOOK AT ME!"

And my pops would do the same thing, like pinning me against the wall and yelling. And gently caress, I couldn't help but start to smile and giggle just because he looked so loving pissed over whatever stupid thing it was. .. That is when things got kinda lovely. It was basically a young rear end punk getting yelled at by some loving loser that was going insane right in front of them. I found it hilarious.

.. No kids, but if I had some, I'd probably just pick them up and spin them until they're sick or some poo poo. whooooo knooooooows

And this other time, I was around 17, he pushed me against the wall. I pushed back and tripped him. THEN RAN FOR MY loving LIFE. I can still hear my Mom yelling in the distance "B.R.'s Dad, STOP! Just STOP!" and I hid in the woods, then lived at a friends house for like 3 weeks.

Haahaaaahaaaa..... good times. :downs:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

My older sister beat the poo poo out of me and I still have scars all over my arms from her. My parents were too overwhelmed with life and taking care of my other siblings so I was always told to man up and take care of myself. I'm 30 and still have a deep seated fear that anyone in my life can arbitrarily hurt me with no warning. I should probably get therapy but eh... I'm doing alright

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

my dog died im sad posted:

I'm so sorry that happened to you.

Thanks, I'm just glad I came out without internalizing it as normal or "having made me stronger" which never ceases to depress the poo poo out of me when I read that response to physical punishment.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My older sister beat the poo poo out of me and I still have scars all over my arms from her. My parents were too overwhelmed with life and taking care of my other siblings so I was always told to man up and take care of myself. I'm 30 and still have a deep seated fear that anyone in my life can arbitrarily hurt me with no warning. I should probably get therapy but eh... I'm doing alright

:glomp:

How tf is there not a :hug:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

And I apologize sincerely. You’re usually not as open on these forums, and I misread the post. I hope you are doing fine now, despite bad parents, and continue to post funny poo poo here.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Thanks, I'm just glad I came out without internalizing it as normal or "having made me stronger" which never ceases to depress the poo poo out of me when I read that response to physical punishment.

Yeah, I think we just kind of considered it normal. So, hopefully, not too much emotional damage there. I feel you.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Burt Sexual posted:

And I apologize sincerely. You’re usually not as open on these forums, and I misread the post. I hope you are doing fine now, despite bad parents, and continue to post funny poo poo here.

Part of addressing the issue is enough people hearing the reality of it so it's harder for them to ignore, especially in an era where you nonstop see bewildering memes making a joke of being threatened with physical harm by your parents, like the whole "la chancla."
It's probably because of the degree to which I had it, so the people who likely had a much milder example of physical punishment just seem far more blaise about something that always come off as a powder keg to me.

Even as the psychology of the kid is warped, so is that of the parent's. It's no different than anything else, a lot of them feel emboldened by it and will ramp up severity if no one else in the community takes notice or takes them to task for it. It's similar to how a wife-beater might escalate in severity, my dad wasn't always as bad as he was.

It's also easy to became reliant on it because it's such a "quick" fix. You can either sit there practicing agonizing levels of patience trying to reason with and properly communicate with a child, which takes great effort, time, and empathy, or whack them and have them "behave" immediately.

StupidSexyVaultGuy
Jul 26, 2003

...:(

Well gently caress, man.

Also for the record, occasionally spanked/hit which should be noted as impressive to recall considering both long and short-term memory has been short-circuited due to concussions and various anti-depressants/mood stabilizers.

Mostly I just got yelled at with an unfortunate frequency and volume.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Part of addressing the issue is enough people hearing the reality of it so it's harder for them to ignore, especially in an era where you nonstop see bewildering memes making a joke of being threatened with physical harm by your parents, like the whole "la chancla."
It's probably because of the degree to which I had it, so the people who likely had a much milder example of physical punishment just seem far more blaise about something that always come off as a powder keg to me.

Even as the psychology of the kid is warped, so is that of the parent's. It's no different than anything else, a lot of them feel emboldened by it and will ramp up severity if no one else in the community takes notice or takes them to task for it. It's similar to how a wife-beater might escalate in severity, my dad wasn't always as bad as he was.

It's also easy to became reliant on it because it's such a "quick" fix. You can either sit there practicing agonizing levels of patience trying to reason with and properly communicate with a child, which takes great effort, time, and empathy, or whack them and have them "behave" immediately.

I think I can kind of relate, because it makes you become more emotionally aware of the people around you. Like who is about to pop off, or take things to another level. it's still pretty horrible for a child to have to deal with that, but I think it teaches you something not a lot of folks would pick up on.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Beaten pretty badly on the regular by both parents. Then they divorced and my mom decided her hand wasn't getting the job done and began using a yard stick against the back of my legs. I was forced to wear long pants in the summer sometimes to hide the welts and bruises. Good times...

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Not at all. My parents were basically like "Try not to be a gently caress up, but if you do gently caress up at least be smart enough about it that the cops don't come knocking on the door". Fortunately I was a smart kid. In the end I turned out to have a big heart and am super considerate and kind to people I care about (which is anyone who doesn't give me a reason to dislike them), and I have no time for people that gently caress me over in the tiniest way, so I'm also not a patsy. On the other hand I have zero respect for authority. So over all I guess their methods were pretty solid.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Giant_Pupils posted:

Beaten pretty badly on the regular by both parents. Then they divorced and my mom decided her hand wasn't getting the job done and began using a yard stick against the back of my legs. I was forced to wear long pants in the summer sometimes to hide the welts and bruises. Good times...

You too, Friendo

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

blight rhino posted:

You too, Friendo

Thanks but it's all good. In fact, the experience guaranteed I'd never spank either of my kids and they're better off for it. So in a way, maybe it was for the best.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think there's value in hitting kids at all. They're too young and helpless to get anything from something like that. Adults, on the other hand, can deserve a solid rear end kicking and I think there's plenty of them out there that should catch one.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

blight rhino posted:

I think I can kind of relate, because it makes you become more emotionally aware of the people around you. Like who is about to pop off, or take things to another level. it's still pretty horrible for a child to have to deal with that, but I think it teaches you something not a lot of folks would pick up on.

It can make you oversensitive. Some abused kids are really withdrawn and avoid conflict, they're the ones who will avoid confrontation or getting hit at any cost so they can misread non-threatening situations or body language as threatening. Then there are others, like me, who constantly got into fights or confrontations because I thought people were loving with me when they likely weren't.

It can warp your perception of human interactions. It took awhile for me to take things people say at face value versus constantly second guessing their intentions because I was conditioned to expect antagonism.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

It can make you oversensitive. Some abused kids are really withdrawn and avoid conflict, they're the ones who will avoid confrontation or getting hit at any cost so they can misread non-threatening situations or body language as threatening. Then there are others, like me, who constantly got into fights or confrontations because I thought people were loving with me when they likely weren't.

It can warp your perception of human interactions. It took awhile for me to take things people say at face value versus constantly second guessing their intentions because I was conditioned to expect antagonism.

Yeah, i definitely went the opposite direction than you. i'd try to diffuse everything because it always feels like "mom and dad are fighting, again". luckily, I got a sense of humor, so if people are loving with me, I just roll with it. I'd be one of them self-deprecating comics, if I ever went that sort of route.
.. Some loving therapy posts, up in this binch.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

This is very insightful and actually made me pause for a moment. This is absolutely me. I still struggle with this at least once a week.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I was never spanked by my parents. They had normal punishments like making me sit in the corner or secluding me to my room. I think I turned out pretty okay. Spanking kids is literal abuse and the worst thing to do. I hate Boomers for normalizing spanking and I'm glad my generation has denounced it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Yes my parents spanked me as a child when I was bad.

As an adult I beg for it. I've been bad, I need to be punished by a leather-clad dommy-mommy.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I was never spanked by my parents. They had normal punishments like making me sit in the corner or secluding me to my room. I think I turned out pretty okay. Spanking kids is literal abuse and the worst thing to do. I hate Boomers for normalizing spanking and I'm glad my generation has denounced it.

I will have to say, in addition to the poo poo I had to deal with.. I was also secluded to my room, and I had to sit on my bed, and couldn't do anything but read. No radio, no nothing. I just read books and books and books. I'll thank my folks for that.

Still pretty horrible punishment when you were the kid that always ran outside and played in the woods, or neighborhood with other kids. But, reading is probably the least worst punishment I had to deal with.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Yep, not fun.

Lots of hits with a big old leather belt. Bruises so bad I was not allowed to wear shorts to gym class. Lots of trying to get away only for it to be worse. Nice clear memory of being thrown into a wall at the age of 6 or 7 when I had trouble learning how to read then getting the belt. Years and years of it. Did not end till my brother threatened to bash my mother if she ever did it again.

He now hates me after I cut off contact with my family for years.

I felt almost nothing when cancer got her this year.

My daughter is 17 now and I have never even raised my voice at her.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
My dad had serious anger issues, so much so that he spent time in jail for losing control.

When he was released, he wanted to treat us the same way, but my mom and I had healed up quite a bit and I had grown up enough to punch back.

My mom was brave enough to divorce my dad and we escaped to safety.

Kids today just need to be told "No" and taught problem solving skills, beatings not required.

gently caress.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was spanked like 3 times, maybe Always by Dad. It was the nuclear option of punishment, and if I can recall correctly that pretty much meant lying. The worst part of it was not mild pain involved, but rather how obviously distressed it made my father. There was an intrinsic element of fairness and justice to it - I knew I was in the wrong, and the punishment was expected and delivered with no malice or enjoyment, but rather a deep sadness.

I know this is something of an outlier, and that corporal punishment is generally a bad idea with poor outcomes, but my own childhood experience was fine. This was in the 1970s, and as others have noted, there was some generational poo poo at play, too.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wooden spoon with a hole in it for me. When my mom would swing it it would make this low "woooooom" sound.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Raged posted:

Yep, not fun.

Lots of hits with a big old leather belt. Bruises so bad I was not allowed to wear shorts to gym class. Lots of trying to get away only for it to be worse. Nice clear memory of being thrown into a wall at the age of 6 or 7 when I had trouble learning how to read then getting the belt. Years and years of it. Did not end till my brother threatened to bash my mother if she ever did it again.

He now hates me after I cut off contact with my family for years.

I felt almost nothing when cancer got her this year.

My daughter is 17 now and I have never even raised my voice at her.

Wow, same here - up to and including the cancer, although she survived it (three times no less). Now she lives in her big giant house alone and wonders why none of her children want anything to do with her. Not sure which fate is worse tbh. My kids are 10 and 9 and she has never met either of them

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I almost killed my Mother's Dad not because he did anything wrong ... It was a learning experience over drinks even though I can't speak spanish.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

nah but i got plenty of tobasco on my tongue for talking poo poo. once we started licking the rug to get rid of the burn my parents just gave up.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
My dad was a mean military drunk and would knock me around when I got in trouble (which was pretty often). Now we're both old and he's sober and he's mellowed out and we're cool but sometimes the random thought that I still kinda hate him will pop in my head, ya know?

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was spanked like 3 times, maybe Always by Dad. It was the nuclear option of punishment, and if I can recall correctly that pretty much meant lying. The worst part of it was not mild pain involved, but rather how obviously distressed it made my father. There was an intrinsic element of fairness and justice to it - I knew I was in the wrong, and the punishment was expected and delivered with no malice or enjoyment, but rather a deep sadness.

I know this is something of an outlier, and that corporal punishment is generally a bad idea with poor outcomes, but my own childhood experience was fine. This was in the 1970s, and as others have noted, there was some generational poo poo at play, too.

That's pretty close to how I felt about it. Some how I always thought the worst part was the waiting. I'd get in trouble as some point during the day, so my mother would shut me in my room and tell me to wait until my dad got home. I'd completely shut down unable to do anything. Then my dad would arrive home late at night and the first thing he would hear is I misbehaved and had to be disciplined. It must have sucked for him. After wards I'd be fine if maybe a little sore, but the waiting always hosed me up.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
My dad used to whoop my rear end with a plastic curtain rod or leather belt. We blaze on the reg and watch movies together now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I wasn’t spanked, I was straight out beaten. I have a lot of self esteem issues because of it.