Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I got my rear end wupt. My sister never did even though she deserved it. She is entitled and super selfish now. My Dad regrets not disciplining her like he did me.

His excuse was he didn't feel as comfortable spanking his daughter.

Some of my rear end beatings though were pretty rough. One in particular i remember trying to escape and having my father pull me back in to wail on me.

However, i think a child's behavior is governed alot by genetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, and I remember them all.

My brother and I were in the back seat. Mom was driving and her girlfriend was in the passenger seat smoking, and blowing smoke out of her nose while talking.
I said, "Look at the smoke come out of that nose!" She had a real big nose, but that's not what I meant by the comment. I was five.
Mom took me home and switched my bare rear end, then got my Dad to whoop my rear end when he got home too. That's the earliest one that I remember.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My parents had a column by Dr. James Dobson on the refrigerator about when spanking was appropriate. It was pretty rare that I got out of line to the point that they used it, and I don't believe they ever did it thoughtlessly or without me understanding what I was being punished for. I think it really instilled in me the importance of keeping the peace with those in authority and has been a net positive in my life.

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling
Yep. Dad, belt, the usual. Couple times he smacked me upside the head. Wasn't a super regular thing, stopped sometime around age 12-13. No hard feelings though, we had a great relationship from then on.

Didn't do it with my kids, short of a few swats on the rear end when they were toddlers.

I think it's important to recognize the distinction between corporal punishment and beatings. One is okay and the other isn't.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
gently caress. This is one of the darker threads I've seen on GBS in a long time.

Too many stories, that it feels like a lot of us can relate to.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i'd never spank any of y'all, unless that's what you're into.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:3:

meat no potatoes
Aug 9, 2019
Couple of dozen times I think. Never over the knee bare assed, just a quick whack unexpectedly and inconsistently for trivial infractions. It stopped when I was taller than her. Emotional abuse went on forever though.

I'm in the people pleasing/terrified of confrontation camp.

My dad never hit me, although did once pick me up and shake me and I nearly pissed myself and asked to go to the toilet. He then made me keep the door open and watched me while I pissed?

He also threatened to hit me with a belt but was so calm voiced that I didn't believe him. He got a belt and hit the bed instead. It was real weird and never happened again. But this was around the same time he gave up trying to stand up to my mother and became dead inside.

I've shouted angrily at someone exactly once in the last 20 years. I haven't hit anybody in anger since I was 8.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
A lot of kids from previous generations were spanked, and as others have said, they're very similar stories that end with "Whatever, it didn't screw me up."

What I would find more interesting was how did the spankings stop? At what point were you old enough/intimidating enough that they couldn't spank you anymore? Did you simply age out of it, or did they stop because you took more direct action?

I was spanked, but I distinctly remember the point where my mom was "getting out the belt" to administer a spanking and I told her "No, this is over, you're not doing this anymore". She still made to start swinging, but I ripped the belt out of her hands and told her in no uncertain terms that this poo poo was ending now. That was the last they ever tried to spank me, or my sister. This was sort of the turning point for me also not taking any of my dads yelling poo poo. He still did it of course, but he knew now it didn't scare me anymore, and hitting my growth spurt, knew that if he kept it up he was just going to start incurring a debt that might need to be paid when I was a bit older and stronger. Thankfully he chilled out more as I got older.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My mom stopped spanking me after she hit me with a pool cue and I couldn't move my arm the right way for a few days. I think I was about 8 or so. After that it was just teaspoons of hot sauce or making me sit in the pool shed. During a Florida summer a couple hours in a windowless wood box was more of a deterrent than any spoon or belt ever could be.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

A lot of kids from previous generations were spanked, and as others have said, they're very similar stories that end with "Whatever, it didn't screw me up."

What I would find more interesting was how did the spankings stop? At what point were you old enough/intimidating enough that they couldn't spank you anymore? Did you simply age out of it, or did they stop because you took more direct action?

I was spanked, but I distinctly remember the point where my mom was "getting out the belt" to administer a spanking and I told her "No, this is over, you're not doing this anymore". She still made to start swinging, but I ripped the belt out of her hands and told her in no uncertain terms that this poo poo was ending now. That was the last they ever tried to spank me, or my sister. This was sort of the turning point for me also not taking any of my dads yelling poo poo. He still did it of course, but he knew now it didn't scare me anymore, and hitting my growth spurt, knew that if he kept it up he was just going to start incurring a debt that might need to be paid when I was a bit older and stronger. Thankfully he chilled out more as I got older.

I was waaaaay into my teens. My mom stopped around my double digits. My dad kept going through mid-high school. I mentioned before I tripped him after he had me against a wall, and ran for my life. Thankfully, my mom stopped him.

Then we'd play wrestle, and I'd start to win. He knew what was up. Except one time I was in my young 20s, and he was just messing around, I'm assuming for revenge. And he kept pushing me backwards "all in fun". His girlfriend was begging him to stop, but he didn't. I hip-threw him to the ground, just like he taught me. He was shitfaced and just laid there for a while. Got up, and pretended nothing happened. Nothing has happened since. But, also, I haven't talked to him in like 6 years. It'd be adorable if we meet up and he tries something now. Maybe not adorable, but I'd easily put him down. He's like mid-60s, now.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 21, 2019

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

What I would find more interesting was how did the spankings stop?
I know this thread is more for depressing stories but I only recall getting spanked once in my life and it was an escalating series of punishments of me doing something I was directly told not to do that ended in spanking after repeated warnings.

The spanking stopped when I took the threat it would end there seriously, which was after the first time it happened. I wasn't really taught to lie about what I did wrong or hide it because my parents were good parents and wouldn't really punish me for coming clean about something I did wrong and working to fix it, punishment came from actively and knowingly skirting the rules laid out.

I wouldn't personally spank my hypothetical kids because I've read/heard enough about the issue enough to internalize that there are better options and there's a lot of potential negatives with largely no positives, but I wouldn't say my experience with it was really that bad outside of the circular argument that it's bad that I don't see it as that bad. Horror stories itt seem more like plain old abuse and that can be done with or without physical violence so it seems more like it's an issue of bad/abusive parents than the method to me.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I know this thread is more for depressing stories but I only recall getting spanked once in my life and it was an escalating series of punishments of me doing something I was directly told not to do that ended in spanking after repeated warnings.

The spanking stopped when I took the threat it would end there seriously, which was after the first time it happened. I wasn't really taught to lie about what I did wrong or hide it because my parents were good parents and wouldn't really punish me for coming clean about something I did wrong and working to fix it, punishment came from actively and knowingly skirting the rules laid out.

I wouldn't personally spank my hypothetical kids because I've read/heard enough about the issue enough to internalize that there are better options and there's a lot of potential negatives with largely no positives, but I wouldn't say my experience with it was really that bad outside of the circular argument that it's bad that I don't see it as that bad. Horror stories itt seem more like plain old abuse and that can be done with or without physical violence so it seems more like it's an issue of bad/abusive parents than the method to me.

This is a good take, bro. I think some, my, parents took it to the extreme. I honestly hated being grounded to my room with nothing to do but read, more. But it paid off. I'm sure there is some psychological damage there, with me trying to be a subservient person to people. Not the greatest.

But trying to learn how to assert yourself, when you're constantly beat down .. it's hard. At least for me.

I'm one of those dummies that always puts other people first, because I'm worried about tilting someone the wrong way.

E/N...

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Very rarely, but yeah. Nothing cruel or brutal, just basic open-hand, over-the-pants, three swats at most, over in like 2 seconds. I don't even remember if it hurt or not, I think it was more embarrassing than painful. The last time it happened was when I was like 12 for calling my sister a bitch.

By the time I was in middle and high school my mom would either lay guilt-tripping lectures on me for hours or refuse to talk to me until I apologized for whatever she was angry about, which was honestly much more mentally damaging than being spanked.

Vrtra
Mar 25, 2017

the monster in your nightmares
Yeah, my dad was an avid believer in corporeal punishment against children, and now I'm a masochist that needs sweet, sweet pain to enjoy herself. Do you think there is any link between the two?

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Delirious Wolf posted:

Yeah, my dad was an avid believer in corporeal punishment against children, and now I'm a masochist that needs sweet, sweet pain to enjoy herself. Do you think there is any link between the two?

Oh dear

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Spins posted:

Oh dear

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

eh. edited.

The Breakfast Sampler fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 21, 2019

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

eh. edited.

The Breakfast Sampler fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 21, 2019

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

No man I just got regularly beat and hit as a kid and it hosed me up for years I dunno why that seems hard to believe.

I believe you. It sounds like a mirror image of my childhood. Some of the details are different but I won't elaborate. The memories still hurt.

Really was hoping that this was a honeypot thread. Beating your non-neurotypical kids to mold them into your own backwards ways of thinking? That's as heinous as loving marital rape.

It's a vicious circle too. I remember the worst beating I ever got - the one that actually got social services and my school involved. What did the loving narcissist say afterward? "Aye, I know, you're all welted! I GOT THE SAME!!!"

He thought it turned him into something special but at the end of the day it just turned him into another child abuser.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

About the question above about when spanking stopped, I don't really have a clear memory. I think it must have been before the age of 10 or so, because I don't remember it ever happening after my parents divorced. I think it was just like 3 times for very specific infractions between the ages of 5 and 9.

I have no memory of my younger brother being spanked, although it probably happened.

For the most part my parents were very reasonable, fair, supportive, and positive. Punishment was rare, because we rarely did things that would merit it. Expectations were clear and sensible, so it wasn't too hard to behave acceptably.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
a hot flat iron that gave me a scar i still have today.

mom is a bit of a oval office

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yes and fairly regularly but after reading this thread I'm just glad it never involved any implements. I do sometimes wonder if i'd be more outgoing if I hadn't been disciplined as much.

Would guess it stopped about 7.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I stopped getting hit in high school. Freshman year. My mom had scratched my face up something fierce like blood and everything and I threatened her by telling her I'd tell my homeroom teacher what happened. Scared my mom pretty good.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
Me and my little brother had a babysitter that used to hit us all the time until one day we got a BB gun out and she thought it was real and started begging for her life. Then we told our mother and she fired her.

My parents gave me a few spankings but nothing outrageous. I think it stopped around 11-12 years old.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

Yes and fairly regularly but after reading this thread I'm just glad it never involved any implements. I do sometimes wonder if i'd be more outgoing if I hadn't been disciplined as much.

Would guess it stopped about 7.

Possibly? I got whooped pretty regularly by mom and I came out super outgoing and personable. But I also have a real big problem with authority even into my late 30's and my smart mouth (which was usually the reason for the punishments) has never gone away. I think it's impossible to figure out how you'd be different if certain things didn't happen.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Never got spanked as a kid, but my mom was sick a lot and I realized later in life that she just didn't have the strength to deal with my poo poo as a little kid. So, I guess chronic illness makes for progressive parenting.

In my early teen years, she and I moved in with her boyfriend. I was an oafish chubby tall kid and by age 14 I was already about seven inches taller than he was. I never paid much attention to his height, but he was really insecure about it. He'd regularly get drunk and spout off about how he could kick my rear end if he ever needed to. Which was stupid because I was pretty much a pacifist and spent more time being depressed than angry.

I came close to hitting him once, and it's one of those traumatic things that just stays with you.I probably still think about it at least twice a week. He and my mom were arguing and he called her a bitch and went to throw a phone book at her. I was eating some Tuna Helper, and I tossed the bowl on the floor and pinned him against the wall with the back of my arm. It was surprising how light he was, and right in that single second I just knew that I could gently caress him up really bad and he couldn't do poo poo. It scared me and I just ran to my room and cried. The next day, everyone pretended it didn't happen.

To this day, I still can't eat Tuna Helper but that's probably a net win for me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rad-daddio posted:

Never got spanked as a kid, but my mom was sick a lot and I realized later in life that she just didn't have the strength to deal with my poo poo as a little kid. So, I guess chronic illness makes for progressive parenting.

In my early teen years, she and I moved in with her boyfriend. I was an oafish chubby tall kid and by age 14 I was already about seven inches taller than he was. I never paid much attention to his height, but he was really insecure about it. He'd regularly get drunk and spout off about how he could kick my rear end if he ever needed to. Which was stupid because I was pretty much a pacifist and spent more time being depressed than angry.

I came close to hitting him once, and it's one of those traumatic things that just stays with you.I probably still think about it at least twice a week. He and my mom were arguing and he called her a bitch and went to throw a phone book at her. I was eating some Tuna Helper, and I tossed the bowl on the floor and pinned him against the wall with the back of my arm. It was surprising how light he was, and right in that single second I just knew that I could gently caress him up really bad and he couldn't do poo poo. It scared me and I just ran to my room and cried. The next day, everyone pretended it didn't happen.

To this day, I still can't eat Tuna Helper but that's probably a net win for me.

This reminds me of the time me and my mom moved in with her then boyfriend Barry. Barry hit my mom in the face and since I was an extremely angry kid I broke all the windows out of his truck. I am really happy I calmed down as I got older.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

yeah im gonna go watch some caturday videos now loving hell guys

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Literally A Person posted:

This reminds me of the time me and my mom moved in with her then boyfriend Barry. Barry hit my mom in the face and since I was an extremely angry kid I broke all the windows out of his truck. I am really happy I calmed down as I got older.

I don't think our moms had very good taste in men.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
My granddad would hit you with his trucker hat, which has that little button on the top and it would sting pretty good. He would also threaten to hit you with his shaving strop, but he never did that, he was actually a very chill dude. Mom would spank us with a belt, but never hard enough to actually hurt, just to get you to freak out then she'd stop, and that ended when I was 9. My step mom slapped me when I was about 13 and that was also the last summer I ever went over there, and she died a few years later, she was a loving oval office of a woman. My step dad was an rear end in a top hat and he would pick you up in the air and scream in my face. He got pretty frustrated with me when I got into martial arts and also got big, he kicked me once after i slammed the foot rest down on the couch, my mom witnessed him kick me, i didn't react, they divorced not too long after, but he was an legit con-man serially marrying women and stealing their money, total bastard. My girlfriend and I do not allow hitting in the house, her kids can be pretty lovely, but so as an adult i really don't know why people ever feel the need to hit a kid, unless they're attacking you or some poo poo.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rad-daddio posted:

I don't think our moms had very good taste in men.

:smith::hf::smith:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rad-daddio posted:

Son, that day the Tuna truly did help you.

Perhaps you can get closure by helping out a tuna now.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

THANKS FOR ASKING OP ...

I either got spanked or hit with the belt until maybe 12 years old, 99% of that came from my father. Belt/hand strikes weren't always on target. Verbal abuse and intimidation lasted till about 21. My nickname from pops was 'dumb head' till roughly the age of 13. I was consistently reminded that I didn't know poo poo. Most of my memories of him as a kid (usually when we went fishing) was him screaming at me for doing a very kid like thing such as dropping the bait or getting bored. He was there to fish and not necessarily be a dad fishing with his son.

Once when I was 5, I was watching him hammer something in the garage, he missed and tore up a finger badly. Naturally, it was my fault. My mom usually asked me to fake cry when she was on belt duty, she'd proceed to hit the bed instead of me. When I struggled, his advice was usually 'well if its so hard, why don't you just quit?', didn't matter what it was.

We were kinda poor growing up. 50 cent lunches, goodwill clothes, etc. My dad either installed or sold carpet. My mother was an administrative assistant for much of her life before beginning a career in IT in her late 30s. She walked about a mile to a bus stop (to get to work) in Buffalo because we had 1 car. Winter was a treat. On Thanksgiving 1989, my dad melted down because my mom didn't make creamed corn. She cooked all day and he just melted the gently caress down, screaming, yelling. He proceeded to break something my deceased uncle (moms brother) gave her. She cried. I have trouble forgiving him for that.

Naturally, my mother and two sisters packed our poo poo up like anyone else would do and went to see Back to the Future 2. The most upsetting part of that day for 11 year old me was 'To Be Continued ...' at the end. Are you loving kidding me McFly?

Did I mention that my father was a born again Christian preacher?

My mother is the absolute toughest SOB I've ever met. My grandfather (mothers father) was a functioning alcoholic WW2 vet (purple heart, silver star), my grandmother was a non functioning alcoholic mother of 3. My mother is the kindest, strongest person I have ever met. She encouraged me to go to college and avoid my dads mistakes. I'm not religious, but she is the best example of a Christian I have ever met.

As time has passed, I've gotten to understand my dad a bit more. My grandfather (on my dads side) beat his wife. My dad and uncle once witnessed my grandfather break a plate over my grandmothers head, causing her to bleed. He routinely beat her. Both grandparents were a mess. Obviously, there were some good memories in there.

From a generational perspective, I had it alot easier than both of my parents. ALOT easier. That said, I struggled with anxiety, depression, drug / alcohol abuse, low self esteem and suicidal thoughts most of my life. It comes and goes, but I'm mostly above it now. I haven't drank sine the beginning of this year. I'm a handsome/fit 41 year old with a beautiful girlfriend, an amazing job as a software engineer and a great sense of humor (not evident in this post). I am very very blessed.

My dad turns 76 today and I love the old crusty gently caress. Time has changed him, he's very kind and thankful now and I think he's realized the kind of person he was. I called him today and told him I loved him and that his cards in the mail (even though I just sent it today).

WalletBeef fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 21, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

No, op, my parents were able to discipline me and my sister without abuse

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Disturbing number of posts itt that seem to naturally equate "spanking" with getting hit with a god drat belt. Good lord, I'm sorry if that ever happened to you. My parents just got mad and raised their voice if we were being poo poo heads, or didn't let us watch our favorite show for a night or whatever.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Relayer posted:

Disturbing number of posts itt that seem to naturally equate "spanking" with getting hit with a god drat belt. Good lord, I'm sorry if that ever happened to you. My parents just got mad and raised their voice if we were being poo poo heads, or didn't let us watch our favorite show for a night or whatever.

Look at Mr. La-De-Da-My-Parents-Didn't-Use-Physical-Violence-To-Discipline me over here. :rolleyes:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Not just spanking and belts but hair pulling and generally being told I was a piece of poo poo and worthless for any infraction both real or imaginary. Mostly by my mother though the latter by everyone always up to this day. No matter how much I do right or am proven not to have done bad THING. Yes I am hosed up with no self esteem. And I'm not sure if I am a douche or just radiate douche vibes so am always thought to be the worst in every situation and never apologized to when proven innocent which is generally always.

I wished I had been defiant as a kid though. Either it would have gotten my mom put in jail or me dead but I'm not too sure either option would be bad to be honest. Sure as gently caress can't afford therapy though. Never visiting her grave once doesn't really count as justice I don't think.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
My dad spanked the funny out of this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Relayer posted:

They're naturally equating it because "spanking" was generally defined with a bare hand or belt/switch/whatever to the rear end.

If your mom gave you a few over the pants swats to the butt as you walked by, that's literally nothing.