Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Tanners posted:

Of course its Zed Shaw

what’s his claim to fame again? feels like a variant of esr at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Progressive JPEG posted:

what’s his claim to fame again? feels like a variant of esr at this point

'Rails is a ghetto' which was 100% true and it was a good thing and he hasn't done poo poo worth talking about since then

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
zed shaw is annoying but it nowhere near the vileness of esr.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
https://twitter.com/argv0/status/209844647403589632

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

echi to be made pharmaczar

no you don’t want that

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
looking forward to sampling some of pharmaczar echi’s wares when I’m in NZ.

:rodtronics:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

double lol because it looks exactly like the Waterfall development methodology

e: almost like all the development methodologies are basically the loving same which is:

1) find out what you need to do
2) do that
3) make sure you didn't gently caress something up
4) you're done until someone else does something

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it’s like that scene in indiana jones and the last crusade where he had to choose the correct cup as the holy grail.

in this case i’m gonna say that the real agile representation is top row, second from the right because it’s not actually showing any kind of process

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

alexandriao posted:

e: almost like all the development methodologies are basically the loving same which is:

2) do that

for real. how is that stuff different from how any rational person or people would do something?

“before agile, we had it all wrong. we kept missing goals because all we were doing was standing around playing soggy cracker. agile changed my life!”

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

sure sure but rational people become flabbergasted and easily confused devs real quick apparently and if its not the equivalent of turning digital bolts the whole process goes sideways fast for some reason

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

a neurotic ai posted:

looking forward to sampling some of pharmaczar echi’s wares when I’m in NZ.

:rodtronics:

we got our own way of brewing jenkem down here

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

we got our own way of brewing ɯǝʞuǝɾ down here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
waiting on law enforcement to load the plot and warn parents about the dangers that down under jenkem poses to their kids on the school yard

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Its a way of subliminally pressuring you to work harder. This SPRINT we're going to be working on ACCELERATING developer VELOCITY because we abide by the maxim of MOVE FAST and break things. With the constant implication that the insane pressure you've been under to this point hasn't been moving fast and it needs to be FASTER

I no joke have actual negative pavlov responses to several words now

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
agile is a reaction to what used to be the (worst) case which was

here is a 4,000 page product spec document that the Business Analysts spent 9 months creating. We printed it out and put in one binder. that’s a lot of paper so you have to share it between all 8 dev teams. if requirements change the business Analysts will update the appropriate page but will not update the copy in the binder. see them in person to see the updated page.

you have 12 months to deliver.

I’ve thank god not worked on a team like that, but I’ve been witness to teams that did work that way. they were not v successful

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

we just paid a consultant a p deece seven figgies to wave the magic agile wand and now we’re agile. i haven’t noticed anything different though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk why u just don’t make a good product rather than focus really hard on making a half rear end middle project

analogies applied to non computer things should be applied extensively

imagine if henry ford had used agile when making ford

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

it’s because software is more difficult than lesser engineering disciplines, like mechanical engineering, op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
facebook is more difficult and far more important than the first mass produced fossil-fuelled powered car

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

facebook is more difficult and far more important than the first mass produced fossil-fuelled powered car

correct. that car didn’t singlehandedly put the orange man in office.

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

this is just the high level design, i'll ping you offline to discuss more of the nitty-gritty.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kempy posted:

this is just the high level design, i'll ping you offline to discuss more of the nitty-gritty.

Let's meet over lunch, because you don't have enough meetings in the day and we can now sacrifice your only break from work, to more work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

alexandriao posted:

Let's meet over lunch, because you don't have enough meetings in the day and we can now sacrifice your only break from work, to more work.

'it was the only time slot on the calendar when everyone was free'

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Salt Fish posted:

'it was the only time slot on the calendar when everyone was free'

:argh:

i get this and i even have it booked and ooo

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

idk why u just don’t make a good product rather than focus really hard on making a half rear end middle project

analogies applied to non computer things should be applied extensively

imagine if henry ford had used agile when making ford

making a good software is impossible. agile is about never running out of things to do, so management and customers can believe forever that quality is just over the horizon. with releases you have pesky discontinuities encouraging reflection and hindsight and realizing that this isn’t working, never worked, and never will work

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the only quality release you can count on is the one which leads to the peace of the grave

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I loving hate software

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

President Beep posted:

the only quality release you can count on is the one which leads to the peace of the grave

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Methanar posted:

I loving hate software

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

fart simpson posted:

it’s because software is more difficult than lesser engineering disciplines, like mechanical engineering, op

Boeing might actually agree with you there tbf

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
agile is like fiber in that it makes poo poo come out faster. its diarrhea for software.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
a rearl pm can run waterfall under any development method

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
Agile software development paradigms can be used in other areas of life such as raising children. Its success in child development might be founded on some basic management principles; communication, adaptation, and awareness. In a TED Talk, Bruce Feiler shared how he applied basic agile paradigms to household management and raising children.[121]

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

alexandriao posted:

2) do that

For serious though the fundamental thing about "agile" is just trying to get everybody involved to confront and internalize the fact that the work is probably going to be done wrong the first time, and large parts of it are going to need doing again. Whereas waterfall bakes in the attractive and fundamentally dumb assumption that once you get to the end you're done and you can stop.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

suffix posted:

Agile software development paradigms can be used in other areas of life such as raising children. Its success in child development might be founded on some basic management principles; communication, adaptation, and awareness. In a TED Talk, Bruce Feiler shared how he applied basic agile paradigms to household management and raising children.[121]

get out of bed kids its time for the daily stand up

timmy you're down as blocked on "lernin" could you explain please?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Doom Mathematic posted:

For serious though the fundamental thing about "agile" is just trying to get everybody involved to confront and internalize the fact that the work is probably going to be done wrong the first time, and large parts of it are going to need doing again. Whereas waterfall bakes in the attractive and fundamentally dumb assumption that once you get to the end you're done and you can stop.

ya like I said. it’s a way to prevent management and users from ever realizing that not just has the software never been good, it will never be good

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

agile is evolutionarily adaptive for software teams and this explains 100% of its success; teams that don’t call themselves agile are more likely to be disbanded. over time, this results in agile taking over the industry and looking like a good idea. any effect on software quality is incidental

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Agile is about turning you,the worker, into the sales guy, the business analyst guy, the system designer, the system engineer, the programmer, the qa guy, the project manager and product owner, all rolled into one.That's why management loves it.

Also,and I'm completely serious here, it's a conspiracy by Big Post-it to exponentially increase their sales.

Edit:maybe also Big kanban , gently caress this rabbit hole goes deep.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d guess atlassian spends a lot of money on “goodwill” making jira look like the solution to everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

fart simpson posted:

we just paid a consultant a p deece seven figgies to wave the magic agile wand and now we’re agile. i haven’t noticed anything different though.

you noticed a consultant getting paid and that’s the entire point of agile