Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Does anyone else play Robot Tactics? I just got back into it and thought it would be a good game to have a Goon presence in.

If you're not familiar with Robot Tactics, it's turn based mech combat. 4 man squads. PVP ladder like Star Wars: GoH. Storyline missions. Guilds. Events. lovely chat UI. Red vs Blue nation wars every day.

If you like collecting and combining parts and waifus/husbandos, you might like it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I blame my ADHD but I can't decide on a game. I've been playing GBF, Arknights, E7, Fate\GO but can't seem to settle into one. Last thing I paid any attention to is E7 but the crafting gear thing turned me off a bit.

GBF: Feels like I have 2 billion things i need to do to make a step forward
Arknights: I'm real bad at Tower Defense?
E7: Crafting gear randomly for decent stats sucks and so does levelling phantoms for promotion
Fate\GO: I feel like I have 0 clue what I'm doing except choosing cards at random\just trying to raise anyone to use their NPs.

I like the characters in each of them but it feels like either I'm overwhelmed or clueless 99% of the time.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Irritated Goat posted:

I blame my ADHD but I can't decide on a game. I've been playing GBF, Arknights, E7, Fate\GO but can't seem to settle into one. Last thing I paid any attention to is E7 but the crafting gear thing turned me off a bit.

GBF: Feels like I have 2 billion things i need to do to make a step forward
Arknights: I'm real bad at Tower Defense?
E7: Crafting gear randomly for decent stats sucks and so does levelling phantoms for promotion
Fate\GO: I feel like I have 0 clue what I'm doing except choosing cards at random\just trying to raise anyone to use their NPs.

I like the characters in each of them but it feels like either I'm overwhelmed or clueless 99% of the time.

Just my 2c, every gacha typically has some good poo poo in it - art, graphics, theme, progression, etc. They all seem like great games for the first 1-4 weeks. What really matters, is the core game loop AFTER they're going from event to event. Is that part of the gameplay loop fun to you? If so, you can probably play that game almost forever. If that part isn't fun, you're eventually going to quit, no matter how good the rest of the game is.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone try/playing Blade Xlord? It's apparently made by Final Fantasy 7, Chrono Trigger, Star Ocean 4, and Last Cloudia Devs...

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Its jp only at the moment?

E) oh yea my bad looks like its north america only and im in nz :downs:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 26, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Its jp only at the moment?

Really? It's on the canadian ios store.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It seems there's a new Tales game coming, and it's a gacha: Tales Of Crestoria. Pre-registration is currently going on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That was quick

Gentleman Owl
Apr 29, 2013

Not surprising considering how badly the publisher managed the Global version. If anyone is curious:

Events were run completely out of order, which is a problem when events are story-based and reference each other; eg. the game started with a JP-current event. Global release order for events was something like Event 64, 2, 5, 4, 30, 13. Events lasted 2-3 weeks versus full month on JP, some events were changed to compensate for the shorter duration and some weren't.

Each event has its own gatcha banner, and global had 2-3 other gatcha banners running at any other given time (character birthday banners, bridal banners, X-Drive banners, future event banners completely out of context, etc) often for as few as 2 days. Some were rerun later, some weren't.

Story was set at JP launch (between seasons 3 GX and 4 AXZ) but systems were implemented from all over the game's lifespan. Rarity uncap was added to JP something like last August and Global got it immediately. Problem: it requires materials from raids which were set to JP late midgame/endgame and Global lacked units with two years of powercreep behind them. Bonus round: The raids on Global launched completely broken, the bosses never triggered their abilities. This made the raids a total slog but were actually doable. Once patched, you now had people who ran them hard for as long as they were able and could supercharge their units, and you had everyone else.

PvP was a thing. Ranked PvP was a thing. With the bonus round of the above point, Global never had a chance to get a meta; you had people with supercharged units dominating the top, and you had everyone else who didn't have a chance.

Powercreep is a serious thing like in most gatcha. Problem: the first event for Global was concurrent with JP (Attack on Titan collaboration), and had powerful units even for the JP meta. Except they were severely nerfed for Global, which not only denied the possibility of doing the above raids if you whaled/could piggyback off whales but introduced uncertainty for future releases. This probably (would have) hurt spending (if the game continued) because you couldn't look to the JP banners and decide what to spend hard on.

Even as a scummy cash-grab for the publisher it failed. The shop didn't support euros, the only way part of the Global region could even spend on the game was to do convoluted workarounds which hurts when gatcha games try to nickle and dime you or capitalize on FOMO. A 10-pull was $40 which even beats out GBF. The monthly pack that it constantly advertised (generic gatcha "some currency now, some every daily login for the next thirty days") was literally unpurchaseable. The button to buy it literally didn't exist.

All of this compounded the problem that the base game is a three year old mostly auto-battle deal which seriously hindered it finding a sizable playerbase outside of fans of the series. The publisher should have been doing everything in their power to try to draw people in with that against it, and they clearly didn't.

tl;dr someone was standing behind SINoALICE when they dodged that bullet

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Welp, I've completely lost interest in all of my gacha games at this point :( I'd like to play and enjoy something the way I played and enjoyed FGO for two years, but nothing is sticking. Is there anything good coming up soon?

Thanks for the write-up, that was just :allears:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Romancing SaGa Re;Universe is up for pre-registration on iOS, with a date of June 23.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Welp, I've completely lost interest in all of my gacha games at this point :( I'd like to play and enjoy something the way I played and enjoyed FGO for two years, but nothing is sticking. Is there anything good coming up soon?

Thanks for the write-up, that was just :allears:

I just picked up Guardian Tales. It's only available in select countries but fully translated and localized if you get the APK. It's a mix of Soul Knight and Zelda and actually really good! I've only gotten through the first world but there's tons of gaming references and Easter eggs. Try walking the Konami code in the Lost Woods!

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe now has an official Twitter account, with details of the pre-reg bonuses and interviews they've done with gaming media: https://twitter.com/reuniverse_en

This bit stood out to me from their SiliconEra interview (https://www.siliconera.com/saga-producer-talks-about-romancing-saga-reuniverse-interview-the-final-fantasy-legend/), and is cool and good imho:

quote:

Also, in Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe, an A-rarity unit and an SS-rarity unit of the same character share EXP and stats. Wouldn’t it be boring if you obtain powerful characters through gacha, level them up, and that’s the end of it?

About 6 weeks to go before the game proper launches.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does that mean you can level A-rank in prep for an S-rank upgrade, or that the "ideal" team will be multiple-ranked copies of the same character to synergize?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Does that mean you can level A-rank in prep for an S-rank upgrade, or that the "ideal" team will be multiple-ranked copies of the same character to synergize?

You can only have a copy of a character in a team. But it does mena characters that you have multiple styles of can be customized more, by using their different stats growths and skills. You can equip one skill from one of the other styles.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

MonsieurChoc posted:

Romancing SaGa Re;Universe is up for pre-registration on iOS, with a date of June 23.

Oh nice, I'll definitely check that out when it drops.

cirus posted:

I just picked up Guardian Tales. It's only available in select countries but fully translated and localized if you get the APK. It's a mix of Soul Knight and Zelda and actually really good! I've only gotten through the first world but there's tons of gaming references and Easter eggs. Try walking the Konami code in the Lost Woods!

Thanks!

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
If anyone is desperate for a semi-decent gacha to toss their hat into Sword Art Online Alicization Rising Steel is doing their 6 month anniversary celebration now which includes a lot of free pulls and other free poo poo. There's a fire unit banner and both are top tier and you get the weapon for one of them for free.

Or you can just wait a few weeks for Tales and SaGa like any reasonable person

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

A game called Hero Cantare is releasing today, it's a collab game between a bunch of webtoons like Tower of God and Noblesse. The gameplay is kinda similar to 7DS:GC, card based and you combine a character's cards to upgrade them and cast a different stronger skill.

If you have bad enough taste to like webtoons and gacha games it might interest you!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If anyone was interested in trying out Brown Dust/Brave Nine, they're running their newbie event again that gives you a bunch if powerful characters for completing simply tasks and at the end gives you a free Legendary character.

Its bit more strategic than most, more about your party composition and interactions between characters than tactical. Also the artist really loves thiiiiiicccc thighs.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

twistedmentat posted:

If anyone was interested in trying out Brown Dust/Brave Nine, they're running their newbie event again that gives you a bunch if powerful characters for completing simply tasks and at the end gives you a free Legendary character.

Its bit more strategic than most, more about your party composition and interactions between characters than tactical. Also the artist really loves thiiiiiicccc thighs.

I’ll give it a shot. Nothing much to do till SinoAlice.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Exos Heros seems like an ok time waster. Lots of game mode and things to do. Don't blow your gems until past chapter 4 special banners though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gerdalti posted:

Exos Heros seems like an ok time waster. Lots of game mode and things to do. Don't blow your gems until past chapter 4 special banners though.

I think it requires a good phone though. My pixel 1 was hand-searingly hot running it with stuff on min, other games it's just varying levels of warm.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Bruceski posted:

I think it requires a good phone though. My pixel 1 was hand-searingly hot running it with stuff on min, other games it's just varying levels of warm.

I don't know what the issue was but I loaded it up again to test and haven't had any sort of heating issues. Glitch in the matrix, something running in the background that I didn't notice? I haven't a clue. Everything gets slightly warm at worst.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Gerdalti posted:

There was like a 5 month gap in events for the KR servers which, considering the game is less than a year old, is a little worrying. That being said the presentation is really slick.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
My Romancing SaGa Reuniverse pre-order on IOS just became downloadable, though the servers are under maintenance.

Edit vvvv: that's fine, it's GW in Granblue anyway.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 23, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Tortolia posted:

My Romancing SaGa Reuniverse pre-order on IOS just became downloadable, though the servers are under maintenance.

Maintenance lasts until the 25 IIRC.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah the maintenance lasts until Thursday. I've been playing the soft launch for about a week now here in Canada and they shut us all out to get it ready for global release.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still don't have SS Rouge, but I feel like I got a fun team anyway.

Can't wait to transfer my game from bluestacks to my iPhone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Yeah the maintenance lasts until Thursday. I've been playing the soft launch for about a week now here in Canada and they shut us all out to get it ready for global release.

How is it?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

It's a pretty decent numbers go up game, as there are a lot of numbers and plenty of ways to make them go up. I wasn't too impressed with the skills in the game, it seemed like for the most part it was just usual damage, heals, and provoke and the passives were just do more X. Didn't seem like I could set up much in the way of cool synergies which is the #1 thing I like in games.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

MarcusSA posted:

How is it?

I'll be trying it out in some depth; it has been absolutely obliterating the charts in its native Japan since it launched in 2019, often living in the top 10 for weeks at a time and almost always in the top 25. And given how competitive that market is and how it's based on a second-tier RPG series from the 90s, it sure seems like there has to be a bit more to that level of success than pure nostalgia, especially a year+ on.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Does it offer anything at all notable story-wise or is it just, well, Number Go Up Game

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

As long as I can play as Asellus or Slime I'll be happy

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Does it offer anything at all notable story-wise or is it just, well, Number Go Up Game

Is there any game where the unit roster is basically "every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie, and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party" that has a good story?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1r28Rq8xoGxAo_yrt_CL8n434Gdy0uWMVGt8idDabo60/mobilepresent?slide=id.p

Good beginner guide for re:Universe

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Some more Re;univerSe notes in the comments of this post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SaGa_ReuniverSe/comments/hf8sab/romancing_saga_reuniverse_starter_guide_reposting/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

By luck I got 6 SS chars on my starting pulls counting the freebies, so now I actually have to make choices at the start. I figure since everyone's listed as "attacker" and doesn't seem to have AoE attacks I can just look at type coverage, but it's always fun to try and parse unknowns right off the bat.
E: is there any easy way to look at multiple styles of the same character? The character list has no Name option in the sort.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

By luck I got 6 SS chars on my starting pulls counting the freebies, so now I actually have to make choices at the start. I figure since everyone's listed as "attacker" and doesn't seem to have AoE attacks I can just look at type coverage, but it's always fun to try and parse unknowns right off the bat.
E: is there any easy way to look at multiple styles of the same character? The character list has no Name option in the sort.

Characters share HP so if you sort by that it should group people's styles together, if that's what you're asking.