Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Joink posted:

Any hype here for sword of convallaria? Demo is out on steam. FF tactics type game which appears to have quite a lot of depth with the characters. Quite excited for it.

I played the demo. It seems fine, but I had to put it down. The music reminded me so much of FFT that I was overcome with ennui at the idea of inserting gacha mechanics into a great game of my wasted youth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Which game?

Oops, thought this was the Against the Storm thread. Not gacha related.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chumbler posted:

Oops, thought this was the Against the Storm thread. Not gacha related.

lol ok I was like 90% sure that’s what you were talking about but I thought I missed a game that came out.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

GoodluckJonathan posted:

I played the demo. It seems fine, but I had to put it down. The music reminded me so much of FFT that I was overcome with ennui at the idea of inserting gacha mechanics into a great game of my wasted youth.

My verdict was pretty similar, with the shade that I can think of so many better srpgs in my backlog for PC and mobile that I was more interested in getting back to. I got out of the tutorial joined the mercs, and the missions after that were not interesting enough to sustain my engagement after getting tutorial fatigue

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

BUT SOMEHOW

https://twitter.com/world_flipper/status/1765663775401836851

IT RETURNED

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

no that's not dragalia :(

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
World Flipper Relink :pray:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I always liked the idea of a pinball gacha, but the original world flipper didn't have enough depth, in my opinion.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

BoldFace posted:

I always liked the idea of a pinball gacha, but the original world flipper didn't have enough depth, in my opinion.

The depth was all in building elemental teams for quick kills. But yeah nothing was ever especially hard and it was more a question of how fast you clear things vs can you clear things

I liked it and played it more than most gachas but I still fell off after several months

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

With FFRK GL and DFFOO shutting down, I'm without a gacha game. I thought about giving World Flipper a try, but it was already gone by then. If it gets a GL release, I'll give it a shot (unless something else grabs me before then…).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Is that one game that came out around world flipper still going? It was a turn based like move dudes on a grid like they were puzzle and dragon tokens game? Had a weird fantasy post apocalypse world?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

kater posted:

Is that one game that came out around world flipper still going? It was a turn based like move dudes on a grid like they were puzzle and dragon tokens game? Had a weird fantasy post apocalypse world?

Alchemy Stars? Yes it's still hanging on somehow.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Alchemy Stars? Yes it's still hanging on somehow.

Apparently the Chinese release is doing really well.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Question about Honkai Star Rail: it has a phone client and a PC client, but do they use the same servers? Like, could you get both and share an account between them or do you have to pick one? I ask because I tried that with Genshin Impact a few years ago and it didn't work

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

They're the same. Genshin too, so idk what you mean there.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

They're the same. Genshin too, so idk what you mean there.

Maybe they fixed that in the interim then, I remember being really pissed when I tried logging into the PC client and was greeted with the prologue starting up all over again

Regardless good to know, thanks :tipshat:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I think at one point , very early on, you had to actively link the accounts in genshin? I don't think that's the case anymore since I downloaded genshin to my phone while I was out of town and didn't have to do anything special, I would assume it's the same for star rail.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, it's effortless now. I play Star Rail so much entirely because it's so easy to play on my phone and my PC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The annoying part with mihoyo accounts is that if you boot it up on PlayStation it permanently selects a server region based on your PSN account region. So, my hsr account is on the Americas servers because that's where my friends are but were I to start the game on my au PSN account it would say "no, you're on SEA" now and there's nothing you can do

Well, except put in a ticket to unbind and then use a us psn account afterwards

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I don't see a lot of folks talking about Pokemon Masters EX. I reinstalled and completely restarted recently (I hadn't gotten far originally) because they're in middle of their 4.5year event and its more fun than I remember. I think I was playing other games heavily when it launched and didn't give it a fair shake. They're giving out a ton of freebies right now though. If you like Pokemon at all, give it a shot, you might be surprised.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

New Leaf posted:

I don't see a lot of folks talking about Pokemon Masters EX. I reinstalled and completely restarted recently (I hadn't gotten far originally) because they're in middle of their 4.5year event and its more fun than I remember. I think I was playing other games heavily when it launched and didn't give it a fair shake. They're giving out a ton of freebies right now though. If you like Pokemon at all, give it a shot, you might be surprised.

iirc this one had a pretty rough launch. I wouldn't be surprised if it's been seriously improved since then. Maybe I'll reinstall and give it another shot.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

New Leaf posted:

I don't see a lot of folks talking about Pokemon Masters EX.

iirc doesnt it have its own thread already

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Mix. posted:

iirc doesnt it have its own thread already

looks like yes, it's just a super quiet one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3968440&pagenumber=36#lastpost

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

AFK Journey just came out if you're in for some autobattling. It's definitely more of a game than AFK Arena, being able to position your units before battle, deal with different maps, and explore around the world for open world battles and treasure chests. I'm enjoying it enough for the moment.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The sort of flat illustration-looking art style looks really nice, just like the character art in AFK Arena did. I wanna try it out.
Unfortunately it's lilith games so the monetization will probably get super greedy and p2w before too long just like AFK Arena and Dislyte. So probably won't stick with it long term.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The sort of flat illustration-looking art style looks really nice, just like the character art in AFK Arena did. I wanna try it out.
Unfortunately it's lilith games so the monetization will probably get super greedy and p2w before too long just like AFK Arena and Dislyte. So probably won't stick with it long term.

I'm lvl 40ish or so and so far it just seems like afk arena in terms of p2w. Money seems like it would move you along faster to the end but I don't see why you'd want/need to do that. Eventually you'll need a lot of dupes to get guys up to legendary/mythical but whatever. I doubt I'll play far enough to get to that point anyway. We'll see.

Also it has a PC client day one so that's enough for me to clicky click while I watch movies or youtube videos

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It wasn't just about bigger payers being ahead of you in pvp or whatever (that's inevitable in all these games basically) but about the huge ties between mandatory gacha dupes and character power. Dislyte in particular also had really terrible rates for characters.
At a certain point relatively early in afk-arena's progression you get to a wall where you literally can't advance without loads more gacha dupes, and people can be stuck at the level 160 wall for potentially months depending on their gacha luck.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Good Citizen posted:

AFK Journey just came out if you're in for some autobattling. It's definitely more of a game than AFK Arena, being able to position your units before battle, deal with different maps, and explore around the world for open world battles and treasure chests. I'm enjoying it enough for the moment.

I was going to ask if this was any good as they were pushing it hard at PAX and I got a bunch of free poo poo (codes) for talking with the devs but I was not in the mood to demo a mobile game.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The game runs like hot rear end on my phone, which is weird because I have a Pixel 7a, its not the greatest on the market but it should handle anything that game throws at it. I tinkered with settings and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

What tends to get me about "idle" games is they're anything but. Sure they have some automatic resource collection but to make that bigger you need to manually clear stages that don't have any interesting decisions. And then there's the battle tower. And the battle sub-towers for every faction. And the resource fights. And four different PvP arenas. And the Boss Challenge. And whatever cute limited-time minigame they have. And you're not allowed to blitz any of those, or even auto-combat before Prestige Level 5. Anything to keep you on the treadmill so it can show you how much you're not measuring up. Doing the daily stuff in an "auto idle" game can take 90 minutes while a game that centers its actual gameplay will do everything it can to get that side stuff out of the way for you so you only need to clear it once.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Bruceski posted:

What tends to get me about "idle" games is they're anything but. Sure they have some automatic resource collection but to make that bigger you need to manually clear stages that don't have any interesting decisions. And then there's the battle tower. And the battle sub-towers for every faction. And the resource fights. And four different PvP arenas. And the Boss Challenge. And whatever cute limited-time minigame they have. And you're not allowed to blitz any of those, or even auto-combat before Prestige Level 5. Anything to keep you on the treadmill so it can show you how much you're not measuring up. Doing the daily stuff in an "auto idle" game can take 90 minutes while a game that centers its actual gameplay will do everything it can to get that side stuff out of the way for you so you only need to clear it once.

That may be the case eventually but right now the daily path is pretty tight

-collect your accumulated afk stuff
-advance your dudes in the afk tower (you can autofight/advance until your team fails)
-do your daily 4 arena fights
-take a 60 second swing at the daily boss
-advance a bit in the main story/labyrinth if you think you can

Yeah the first day there was a million things to click but 2 days on I'm done before I finish my morning coffee

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

New Leaf posted:

The game runs like hot rear end on my phone, which is weird because I have a Pixel 7a, its not the greatest on the market but it should handle anything that game throws at it. I tinkered with settings and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Same. Galaxy s21 ultra. Not state of the art, but this is the first game that chugs on it

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
AFK Journey's artstyle is certainly charming

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
oh the monetization is gross. $5 1-month daily pass (1/2 roll/day). $10 battle pass. $15 monthly daily login pass (2 rolls/day). and a 2x weekly (?) SPECIAL LIMITED BUNDLE that works out to $7 for 15 pulls

thats pretty aggressive imo

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

if you've not heard of AFK arena before... yeah, expect a LOT of pay2win monetization. you can certainly play without spending, but expect progress to be much slower than other people (doesn't necessarily matter) and you may run into walls where you just have a hard time progressing either because you had worse than average luck with rolls or they just balanced it around you pulling more than you are. and progress will eventually slow to a literal crawl that you can only accelerate by opening your wallet

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm having some fun with it for now. Has anyone started / joined a guild yet? Not sure how the social stuff works yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

games kinda cute but feels like there isnt that much depth to the combat, even for an idle game

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm having some fun with it for now. Has anyone started / joined a guild yet? Not sure how the social stuff works yet.

Game splits you up into different whale ponds / servers when starting out.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Note that you can't have cross-server guilds and the game is fragmented across hundreds of servers -- it's already up to #118 a few days after launch.

New players go to the newest server by default and all the "competitive" leaderboard stuff like pvp and the daily bosses that give rewards for being in the top X% compare you to the other players on your server.
If you really wanna play with someone in particular you can go back and pick an old server to make a character on but due to the timegated way level progression works from the afk income you'll just be forever behind everyone else, getting oneshot by people twice your level in pvp, and never able to get a good score on the daily dream realm bossfights.

Endorph posted:

games kinda cute but feels like there isnt that much depth to the combat, even for an idle game

There's more control than the first afk-arena at least where you had 0 control besides what order to put your 5 dudes in and when to press their ultimates. Now you get to position them on a grid and actually aim the skills (if you don't have it on auto... so you'll only really do that for hard stages that you can barely beat).
Though outside a few characters like Shakir (who can choose a location to teleport to before turning into an aoe lifestealing wolf) or Vala (who can swap between a melee dash-in and a long range snipe) there isn't really a ton of nuance to aiming the ultimates anyways and auto will usually pick the same targets you would've. Although I've had a bit of fun timing Shakir's jump-in with Cecia's golem summon to suddenly drop two angry punchmans in the enemy backline at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

As posted in the RPG Thread by Endorph, Blue Reflection SUN is dead and shall not be missed