Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1197799848977817600

Symphogear XDU is getting a global release, I'm here to convince you not to play it.

Disclaimer: I picked up XDU about a year ago, so I don't know firsthand how bad it was at release.

Part the first: "Gameplay".

You don't play XDU. Like, you sort of can, but there aren't really decisions to make. Each card has two skills, one of which is just an in-battle animation of the sprite doing something, and the other of which is a cut to the card's namesake attack. If you watch this video, you may go "wow, these get pretty long, is there a way to skip them?" and yes, yes there is. It was added this year, so now you only have to watch them once a day.

One of those happens about every 6 seconds. In between your cards automatically do normal attacks to random enemies. No, you don't get to pick what enemy your card is targeting. No, not even for skills.

And frankly, almost nothing in PvE is really worth controlling skills for, so what you're mostly going to be doing is starting a mission and then listening to the music for a minute.

Part the second: The Gacha.

XDU has both characters and equipment in the same gacha. Only the premium currency gacha has character cards in it.

4* rate is 10/10 each, 5* rate is 2.5/2.5. Rate-up 5*s are .8% solo, which is pretty rare, .7% for two, .6% for 3, .5% for 4.

That blows.

What blows more than that is...

Part the third: Limit/Rarity Breaks.

This is a single copy of a card:

This is six copies of a card:

Every copy of a card you pull lets you limit break it once. Limit breaking a card lets you raise it's maximum level by 2, up to 5 times. Once you have it at max limit break, you can rarity break it, to get it another 10 levels. Once a card is rarity broken to 6*, you can feed it other character cards to level it's skills. How do skills develop?

At 6*, you have about 33% more damage on your skill multiplier than at 0lb. If you somehow manage to skill up to 10, you've more than doubled the multiplier on the skill.

Dupes are the only way to limit break a card.

The same applies to equipment, except that equipment can't be rarity broken.

That all sounds awful, but do you actually need rarity broken cards?

Not really. You will be able to complete all* the story content, and all the event story content, with well chosen cards with maybe a couple of limit breaks.

(*except the Original XDU High Difficulty Story stuff that's pretty recent)

Unless you want to compete in PVP. Don't want to compete in PVP.

Is there anything to mitigate this? Sort of.

Older cards will get 700 stone banners, which gives you all 6 copies for 700 stones. Most of the time when these happen, they've been powercrept to poo poo and back, but there's only a few useful healers in the game, and they have gotten 700s.

Some banners will give you coins for rolling on them, which you can spend to just outright buy the card you want. I don't exactly remember the conversion rate for these, I think it's 10 coins per single, 110 per multi, and 150 for a normal 5* card.

Some banners will let you select a card, and then just give it to you on your 3rd multi.

Most banners have guarantees. For example, here's the guarantees on the currently running Symphogear vs Godzilla collab banner:

Sharp eyed goons will notice that the Kanade guarantee is loving bullshit. Kanade is what's called a High Cost Card. There's a few types of these:

1. Unisons. These were, I believe, the first high costs to come out. A unison is one character who summons another to combine for their namesake skill. They have been mostly power crept.
2. Testament. Testament is Hibiki from the end of AXZ, and she is loving Bullshit. She is the best card from the moment she releases until very recently. Testament is immune to all status effects, does not take reflected damage, and deals an extra 100% damage on every attack that ignores typing. Also her skill buffs her own attack stat, and makes your entire team do 100% additional damage on every attack that ignores typing. Yes, this stacks with her own passive. She gets her own category because she's the only card with her specific cost in the game.
3. Solo high cost cards. These are most of the current bullshit good cards.
4. base 6* cards. These are mostly box queens for two reasons. First, because they take egregious amounts of EXP and gold to level. If memory serves, it's something like 7000 4* exp sheets, and 100m gold. This is an order of magnitude more than a base 5* card. Second, because their cost is actually so high that you can't fill the rest of the team out in most game modes. Yes, you still need to pull 6 copies of one to get it to level 70. No, thank gently caress, you cannot rarity break them. Ignore my shame.

High cost cards mostly have better stats, passives, and skills than regular cost 5* cards. A new high cost card comes out like once a month, and usually kicks everything that isn't Testament down a rank on the top 10 list.

Part the fourth: PvP.

Don't try to do well in PvP.

Okay, remember how you mostly don't bother playing PvE? You actually can't interact with PvP past team selection, autoskill is on and it won't let you manually pick a skill.

Any of your skills that are really good? AI isn't going to use them until everything else is on cooldown.

PvP had a rework earlier this year, it used to be 3v3 teams, now it's 5v5. Outside of the very bottom ranks of PvP, almost everything you see is fully rarity broken bullshit teams. Presumably this will be less true on global.

At release, I've been told that you don't pick an enemy, you just hit the "find me a battle" button and get to deal with whatever it gives you. It's been since changed, and now you hit the find a battle button, and if you don't like that, you can reroll it, one at a time. If you're very patient, you can eventually find someone with like, one unit up. Hope that isn't a Carol!

PvP stamina can only be regenerated by premium currency.

There's also a special type of pvp that runs once a month called challenge cup. This will randomly give a couple of specific units +450% attack, and a color +50% attack. It runs for 5 days usually, and will dump a shitton of gold and some premium currency on you as rewards for doing a bunch of battles. The last couple they ran had two copies of 5* card in the points ladder if you hate yourself enough to grind it a bunch. It also grants you a currency, which you can use to buy more gold/exp/a relatively decent 5* Chris card that costs entirely too much currency. At the end of it, based on your rank, you will get some stones, very little gold, and maybe some gacha tickets.

Unlike normal PvP, there is an in game item that refills your challenge cup stamina that can be ground out with normal stamina.

Part the fifth: Events.

While they could pull a MagiReco event pace on us, in JP events usually last like 3 or 4 weeks. At the same time, however, they're putting up a new event every other week, so there's several running at once.

Pokelabo really, really wants you to roll the gacha for every event. A lot. Almost every event comes with a banner, and a new 5* on it.

The new 5* will have +40% damage and +50 currency drops in the event. At one copy. Rarity broken, it's +100% and +150 drops. You don't need that to clear the event shop, and mostly you don't need that to clear the event missions, but something like every 3rd event will have a challenge mission that will need a really busted team to clear.

Most events will also give a bonus to an older 5*, from +7 currency at base to +20 at rarity break. No bonus damage. one 4* and 3* will also get a bonus, up to +15 if rarity broken all the way to 6*.

Weirdly, few events will introduce a new 5* equip. Mostly they introduce new 3* equips, which give +3 to +10 currency, and give +2 to +8 to an existing 5* equip.

You don't need to clear the shop, but it's the primary source of exp, gold, awakening mats, and +stat fodder.

You might think, "Well hey at least I can borrow a whale friend with +170 drops" but you're wrong. Friend drops are capped at +70.

The game loving showers you in event stamina refills.

Non collab events usually do get reruns. I haven't seen a collab rerun yet.

Part the sixth: premium currency income.

Every mission you clear gives you 5 stones for clearing all the nodes once, and then 5 more stones for clearing all the nodes a second time. Daily missions give you 3 stones, weekly missions give you 15 stones. The monthly login bonus gives you like, 200 stones or something, and every two weeks a completely separate, 14 dayish login bonus starts that will also give you like 100 stones.

PvP scales from 3 stones weekly, for "I showed up and did the 20 for the weekly missions and lost 19 of them", to 60 for being in the top 100.

A single on the gacha costs 20 stones, an 11-draw costs 200. The usual estimate for managing to RB a 5* card off a rate up banner that has non-high cost guarantees is like, 3k stones.

A whalepack is 700 stones for $90.

There is occasionally sales that increase the number of stones per pack, all the way up to 100 for the whalepack. The only thing that's remotely worth spending money on is the very infrequent pack that gives you some stones and a selector ticket that you exchange for a single copy of whatever card for like, $35 or something. It is also a bad deal, Do Not Spend Money on XDU.

Are there any redeeming features?

Some people have said the story is pretty fun. If you like symphogear, it has more symphogear music.

Game is bad, do not play it. If you somehow still want to, the best English speaking resource is the Symphogear subreddit discord, and the guide they made.

You will note that the first thing that guide tells you is also to uninstall the game.

If anyone comes in to disagree with me about something here, they're probably right and you should listen to them. And then you should still not play the game.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Zotix posted:

FFBE: War of Visions launches Wednesday. It's a tactics style game. It'll also probably be garbage.

It's Gumi, so set your expectations real low.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
There's a specific banner for ticket summons, you have to swipe to the last one.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I played Blazing for a few months a while ago, it was a fuckin power creep nightmare, and pvp is too important to not care about that.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

gay for gacha posted:

Is anyone actually playing Genshin on mobile? I don't have a windows computer, so my options are android and ps4.

I am. It's not the easiest thing to control, and it eats your battery like nothing else. Frankly would recommend PS4.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
It has a MMBN grid, but you start with your protagonist deployed in a fixed position & can't be moved, and then deploy other characters onto the field.

I haven't played a whole ton but it seems like every character has a 15% chance of activating a skill every time they attack, and have a bar that charges up until they activate a separate skill. Attack ranges seem to be based on class.

LibrarianCroaker fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 22, 2020

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Yes, but you get those tickets for doing your daily quests as well, so you don't need to buy 10 of them.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.crunchyroll.com/en-gb/anime-news/2020/12/29-2/hololive-en-joins-princess-connect-re-dives-journey-to-global-launch

quote:

It all starts with a pre-launch sneak peek stream with Takanashi Kiara one week before launch.

https://twitter.com/takanashikiara/status/1348251465136017410

on the one hand, it might not be the only kiara priconne stream, so it's not positively a 20th launch. on the other, let me hope.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Makoto is much harder to farm than Monika or Jun (altho Jun isn't farmable yet I think), since her shards only come from a monthly event, where Monika comes from Arena, and Jun eventually gets added as hard mode stage.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/touhouLW_Global/status/1385639610970169353?s=20

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
What else would you call making one unit specifically worse only on one server?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/MHA_TSHGame_EU/status/1405863667573301248?s=19

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
FFBE is run by gumi. It's the game where they got caught screwing global's pull rates on banners lol.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mix. posted:

That was War of the Visions, which is a separate game despite also having the FFBE label, though both have really scummy practices and some of the most insane power creep I've ever seen in a gacha :v:

That is not the event I'm thinking of, since I heard about it before WOTV existed.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/MHA_TSHGame_EU/status/1406023971233964032?s=20

"We have hosed up, deeply"

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Alchemy Stars should be, unless something happened since I downloaded it on Friday.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.siliconera.com/war-of-the-visions-brave-exvius-violation-square-enix/

"We were caught breaking the law. Have one multi, as compensation."

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/PGR_GLOBAL/status/1417210933789675525?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Nikke also announced a patch to reduce the hard mode power.

https://twitter.com/NIKKE_en/status/1593163006325972992