Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a gacha game that looks, well, modern? I don't mean 3D graphics and all but all of the games I've seen look like the UI was cloned from a NES game and the UX matches that. FFBE, and to a smaller extent FFBEWOTL, suffer from this where navigating the actual UI is a chore. Even simple things like the "current events/banners" sections constantly having to LOADING and then resetting to the top of the page if you tap on a banner and tap the back button are pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’ll check out 7DS since it’s portrait mode and the other one isn’t.

I thought the 7DS: Whaling is a Sin thread was a general thread to complain about pay to win, cause of the title.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mix. posted:

yeah no its really hidden in the news that the data won't be retained, no reason to hoard lol

wish we had an actual release date already, though when it does launch im prob still gonna save because the automata characters are best in the game still in JP

On the iOS App Store it says expected November 6.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have no stake in this but from a quick read, it looks like people are upset and review bombing the game and requesting refunds for all IAP ever made in the game. All because the unit released is different from the unit in other regions? Can you really count that as a nerf if the unit was never available yet?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I dunno, it just seems like you’re making decisions based on beta information and then getting pissed off that the numbers are different when it’s actually released.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Alright, I get your points, thanks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How is it monetized? Cause I’m pretty sure TestFlight IAP don’t actually charge any money.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How have they not been C&D’ed or sued?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are there any new games coming out soon (or have recently come out) not including Alchemy Stars? Tried it but it’s not my thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do you make a waifu collecting game but explicitly write in that the waifus are all underage? Lucia is 17, Liv is 16, Karen is 16.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Other than the whole minor-aged waifu thing (which, don’t get me wrong, is super loving gross but I can ignore it cause I’m not lusting over pixels) I’m liking PGR a lot. I played it for a couple/few hours on both my iPad and iPhone and this thing runs smooth. I just hit lvl 30 and stopped cause I hit a wall in story progression on 3-11. Spoilers about that stage just in case you want to go in blind (although not really a spoiler just some info about the stage): I don’t think it’s a gear check because my main carry is lvl 30 with lvl 30 gear and she still gets one shotted by the boss. So I think it’s more like a skill check.

I very briefly tried Honkai Impact and this game is very much in that style if not a direct copy. You pick a stage and you fight enemies in that stage and move over to the next waypoint and fight more enemies before finishing the stage. I didn’t play Honkai long enough to get a good feel for that game, but PGR seems to be a lot faster pace than I remember Honkai was. From what I’ve seen, most stages have a requirement of completing it under 1:30 minutes to get the 3rd star for clearing it. This makes it a perfect pick up and play game because the time commitment for each stage is so minor.

I went in the game mostly blind but watched a video about rerolling just in case and it seems like the tldr on how to reroll is “don’t.” If you do the math, and if the release schedule is the same as in China, then you can get enough currency to get every single S rank (highest) character that gets released just by doing dailies and weeklies and the occasional event. If you start the game now you get a free S rank selector in the mail, and you also get a guaranteed S rank character on your 40th pull on the standard banner. The game gives you enough standard pulls to get those 40 pulls (you get pull currency, similar to standard fates in Genshin) in a few days(?). You get 2500 standard pull currency at iirc rank 20, 35, and then 50. 2500 standard pull tickets gets you 10 pulls, and at rank 30 I have done 15 pulls on the standard banner. It seems like the smart thing to do is to get your S rank from the 40 pull pity, and then use the S rank selector to pick up a different S rank. So if you really wanted to reroll, what you’d look for is actually an A rank character since you get two S ranks for free.

Pity/gacha wise the system seems pretty generous on paper. Like I said the youtubers mathed out that you can get enough currency to pity every S rank character that gets released as f2p (and like Genshin there is a $5/month daily currency pass). Pity for each banner is 60 pulls, unclear if they carry over to the next banner but I’m assuming they don’t. The 40 pull pity thing I mentioned above is just a new player thing on the standard banner. If you’re a gambling man/woman then they also have a secondary rate up banner that has a higher rate for the featured unit (iirc 0.5% to 1.5%) but the pity changes from 60 pulls to “80-100” pulls. In Genshin speak this sounds like hard pity is 100 with a soft pity at 80 but I’m just guessing. There’s also a weapon banner that I didn’t look into too much but a tutorial popped up telling me that I could select a target weapon to aim for.

It doesn’t seem like the game has premium currency only banners like other terrible gachas have.

Some random QoL stuff that isn’t obvious:

- You’re given some boxes that can be opened for cogs (“gold”) in the mail, so check the mail and open those boxes up.
- You don’t spend energy if you forfeit a stage.
- There are rewards in the achievements section in your profile.
- You can fully customize the battle interface.
- In the store, there is a weekly pack that’s free so make sure you buy it.
- Also in the store, it seems like you should buy out the skill points and promotion materials that sell for cogs every day. Don’t buy the ones that use the black cards (equivalent to Genshin primogems) but the cogs (equivalent to Genshin mora).

Some stuff to watch out for:

- If you equip gear on one unit, then you won’t see that gear when you equip gear on another unit. This is super annoying cause you can’t easily see if you have specific pieces on another character to complete a set without looking at their load out.
- There seems to be no way to identify what weapon type each weapon is. Like a sword is obvious but there are bazookas and sci-fi looking guns that are two different weapon classes.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 16, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

friend, let me tell you about a little game called Honkai Impact

Do they specifically tell you the characters are 16 or is it just ambiguous? Because PGR specifically tells you that the characters are 16 in their in-game bio. Well, it says 16 is their “mental age” and their body age is actually younger than that because they’re robots with human consciousness or something.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

New Leaf posted:

I don't get the equipment interface on PGR. I feel like I'm equipping duplicates of things that I don't actually have. I haven't gotten far but I'm not 100% sure its for me. If I could play it on PC with a real PC interface like Genshin Impact that would be different.

Instead of calling it “circlet” and “goblet” like in Genshin they just call it slots 1-6. The top 3 slots (1, 3, 5) seem to be hp/crit and the bottom 3 slots (2, 4, 6) seem to be atk/def. From what I can tell the top pieces are all identical and the bottom pieces are all identical, so you have freedom to switch them around to get the set bonuses. The memories with the helmet(?) on them are just for exp fodder OR you can recycle them to get currency to buy whichever memories you need from the recycle shop. IIRC recycling 3 pieces gets you currency to buy 1, but only from the same star level (eg 4* can only be recycled for 4* currency). Make sure you buy the actual equipment slot you need by scrolling.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are there just not a lot of people playing PGR? There’s hardly any info about it online, the subreddit sucks, and not too many people are posting about it here. Is there any interest in an :effort: thread post? I dunno I’m liking this game a lot but just as a side game.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oh boy it’s day 3 and there’s already toxic drama with PGR.

Apparently they changed the pricing for the premium currency with the global version, ie the $5 equivalent in China got you 30 currency which is just enough to buy the monthly pass, but on global the $5 currency pack only gets you 28 currency but the monthly pass still costs 30. People are also mad (and very vocal about it the subreddit is just a toxic septic tank, even more so than usual) that they halved the amount of premium currency you get for finishing missions compared to the Chinese version. This changes the calculus involved on whether or not you can pity every banner as f2p since I’m assuming the original math was calculated using the non-halved amounts. Also people figured out that their very first event which advertises a global exclusive skin can’t be completed without spending money.

Personally yeah that all sounds pretty lovely but I’ve only spent $1 on the game (you get a free skin for spending any amount, and the 5 cards you get for $1 can be used to buy a pretty good one-time only daily currency deal) and I’ve had hours of fun so far. All those problems above make me question spending any money in the future but it’s not like I was robbed of anything thus far.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mix. posted:

While I definitely agree that the poo poo going on with PGR is unabashedly greedy (and I do think leaving negative reviews is probably the best way to send the message this isn't gonna just be accepted) the level of people immediately jumping to 'anyway gently caress this game and anyone who plays it' is also kinda dumb imo. It's the loving weekend, give the devs a chance to respond first before throwing the baby out with the bathwater lol. Look what happened with the MHA situation- the trust is still damaged for sure but they at least were given the time to actually respond.

What I genuinely don’t understand is… why waste your valuable time spewing poo poo all over social media and refreshing the App Store ratings all day long instead of doing literally anything else?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jul 19, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m guessing that is not gonna go over well with Reddit.

E: the only thing that doesn’t make sense to me is they implied that Chinese players got the skin in question for free by participating in the beta test, so why are they deducting the cost from the global rewards?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 19, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mix. posted:

Yeah this literally doesn't address any of the issues particularly past "oh no we won't do it again we're sorry :kiddo:"

extending the event is whatever, that makes sense, but going 'yeah we cut your gacha currency in half because of a cosmetic that a majority of you might not even want that was farmable in the original version, and we're gonna stick by that' just feels really bad lol

the introduction of a completely different monthly pass that's 2 RC cheaper is particularly baffling. why would it be so hard to just make the $5 bundle 30 cards like it is in literally every other region? Feels like doing too much work to avoid doing the easy thing that'd require you to admit you hosed up lol

It’s probably more work to make the $5 bundle give 30 cards vs copy pasting some lines of text into a config file to make a new monthly pass that takes 28 cards. With the former they’d probably have to figure out who paid for the $5 bundle and then send them all 2 cards to make up the difference, and then they’d need to deal with the people claiming false advertisement for making them spend $6 instead of $5 and demanding a refund and so on.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Isn’t the 30 how you trigger the pity mechanic so a 28 summon pack offering doesn’t solve anything really?

No pity has nothing to do with anything here. The monthly subscription pass that gives you gacha currency every day for logging on (which isn’t enough to hit pity anyway) costs 30 “rainbow cards” (their premium currency which can be exchanged for gacha currency). There is a $4.99 top up bundle that gives you 28 rainbow cards, not enough to buy the monthly pass, and there is a $5.99 bundle that gives you 34 rainbow cards, leaving you an extra 4 cards. People are mad because in China the $5 equivalent bundle gets you 30 cards, enough to buy the subscription.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Good Citizen posted:

Oh I only played the game for a day and I thought there was a guaranteed better drop after 30 pulls but that might have been on the new player banner

The standard banner has a beginner one time 40 pull pity. Standard pity is 60.

New Leaf posted:

It just didn't grab me.. I got through 6 missions and the boss was some spraypaint robot with paint so cold you might DIE. The combat felt awkward, too, but then again I'm not used to action games on a phone.

Tbh the game started off kinda slow for me too but once I pulled a character I liked it got super fun.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

I only wish there was a more natural way to handle the orb pings on a controller. I've been playing with touch because having to constantly remember which position on the little orb bar is which button is a pretty slow process compared to just tapping the orb you want to use.

I don't even know how you would use a controller because there are 16 positions for the pings. Early on spamming them as they come up works but later on you need to start being strategic, like if you have say 💙❤️❤️💙💛💙❤️ depending on the character you're playing you might want to ping them in different orders, ie first ping 💛 so that you can then ping a 💙💙 combo, then finally ping the ❤️❤️❤️ combo. Other characters might want you to ping the ❤️❤️ and 💛 orbs first to get you a 💙💙💙 + ❤️ combo. How do you do that with a controller?

e: I'm in the process of typing up a post with everything I've learned. Dunno if it'll be a thread since there doesn't seem to be too much interest in this but the in-game menus don't really explain anything and there just isn't any up to date stuff online that I can find so maybe some people will find it useful.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 20, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

What they have you do is bind each position to a button. From right to left is position 1 through 8, and you bind each one to a button. The recommended binding is the face buttons (starting with B and going clockwise around) for 1-4, then LT + face buttons in the same order for 5-8.

It sort of works and I imagine you could develop the muscle memory to actually use the ping system that way, but I really wish there was another way. It's very clearly a system that's designed to be used with a touch screen and only had a vague attempt to make it work with other input methods.

Wow that sounds awful.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Kyte posted:

No but both are nerfs either way. This isn't a hard concept. Nerf means to change something to be less powerful. Buff means to change something to be more powerful. Whether it's for game balance or just fixing bugs is irrelevant.

Holy poo poo you’re dense.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

What are you getting at?

Fixing a decimal place is not and has not ever been a nerf.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

If you make some character weaker that's a nerf. Even if it's a bugfix, and even if it's good for the game, that doesn't make it not a nerf. You have to be especially careful with this in an inherently pay to win genre like gachas, for reasons that are obvious.

That makes no sense. If the tool tips say 20%, and all the internal dev notes say 20%, and the intention was 20%, but some developer typed in 20.0 instead of 0.2 and they go and fix it later then that is not a nerf. Conversely, if everything points to it being 20% but the dev typed in 0.02 and they go and fix it later that is not a buff. I don’t know how to explain this any better.

E: If your bank account bugged and said you had 2,000,000 in your account when you shouldn’t have anywhere close to that number and then they fix the issue, no they did not nerf your bank account.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 26, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmmm, let's take this a step further, in a game with PvP if a character is released with a bugged ability that causes the other player to disconnect and automatically lose the match is fixing that bug just a bug fix or a nerf? Fixing that bug definitely made the character weaker since being able to DC your opponent to automatically win is unquestionably a powerful ability. Does the intention of the developer factor in? If it shouldn't in the 20% vs 200% case why should or shouldn't it in this case?

I have a feeling they’re going to say yes that’s a nerf because it made the character weaker.

They’re essentially arguing that by definition a rectangle, parallelogram, and a trapezoid are all squares. Yes, it is factually correct, but ask someone to draw a rectangle, parallelogram, or trapezoid and nobody is going to draw a square. Except for the people above because they are very smart.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

silvergoose posted:

It's getting nierfed.

iOS App Store now saying it’s expected to release on the 30th instead of the 28th. Is that a nerf?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

gently caress! They are nerfing time now??

JFC when does it end?

It’s ok, they buffed time so now it’s back to the 28th “around noon” in whichever time zone unknown.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m giving this a try but this game looks like rear end on my iPad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I totally understand what people meant by “walking simulator” now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

New Leaf posted:

Ugh I know nothing about Neir, is this another melee combat game like Honkai/PGR or is it doing something revolutionary and I'm going to regret not getting in on the ground floor?

From my very limited time playing it so far you just… press “auto” and your character walks to the next stage which is a 2D side scroller where you press “auto” again until it puts you back into 3D to battle. It seems like your dudes automatically attack…? And then the battle ends, you get loot, and press “auto” again to go to the next stage. Occasionally there’s a bird on the screen that you need to tap :confused:

E: Also everything has jagger edges and extremely low quality

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How in the world am I suppose to log into my account on another device? I finally got a good reroll on my iPhone and now I want to play it on my iPad. On my iPhone I signed in with Apple ID. There is literally no option to sign into any account that I can find. Deleting the game and downloading it again just puts you back into the tutorial.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Once you have a roll you like, you select 'Transfer Data' from the Menu option, and link it to a Squeenix account. You log in to that Squeenix account on the title screen of NieR Re[in]carnation. Bang zoom you're on your new device.

I have just been autobattling the Very Hard NieR:Automata event Quest 10 over and over to earn enough medals to buy 3* 2B, 9S, A2, and the Black Pearl item. The game is very pretty; Chapter 6 was kinda fun, sort of; this is the kind of game that I think rewards you for not really taking it super seriously, and instead just vibing and reading cool weapon stories and watching your waifu and or husbando's butt while they do extremely elegant anime moves. Just from progressing through the story as normal and completing challenges, I'm curious if you can earn enough of the gacha pity currency to just pick the 4* you want from the banner; I kinda hope so, as I'd like 4* A2 to compliment my 2B.

I feel like character upgrading is both fairly basic and confusingly abstract. There's no real talent trees or anything — you just pick three weapons, two of which are basically just stat sticks for that character, and you pick a stuffy for them, and you pick three matching memories, and you level each of these components, and like I guess that all makes sense, but everything is so bafflingly presented. Like why can't I read what the name of the weapon is until I've equipped it or I tap-hold the icon? Is there a strategy to this game I should be aware of and anticipating eventually using? My fear is that I've just been carried by 2B through the content easy breezy beautiful Cover Girl so far, and the moment she can no longer solo everything I won't actually know how to play the game.

edit: like how the gently caress do I actually make money in this pretty, empty game

There’s no option to login

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

There’s no option to login

Never mind, figured it out. But wow, this color scheme is awful.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How do I charge up the character skill faster in nier? I have a bit of a problem where I loved my team to 60+ and now they kill the bosses too fast for me to use their character skill.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

This game crashes way too much.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I compiled some Nier Reincarnation stuff from various sources (mostly the guide someone linked a few posts back):

1. Reroll account until you pull one of the following limited 4* units: 2P (Mock Machine), A2 (Divergent Attacker), 2B (Divergent Battler), Akeha (Mechanical Assassin), or Fio (Simulacrum Girl). In Japan apparently A2 and 2B are still meta but they didn't get 2P, Akeha MA, or Fio SG. Nonetheless, those three units seem pretty strong on paper with 2P being a "better version of A2." 9S (Divergent Scanner) isn't "bad," but he's the "worse" limited 4*. All six limiteds show up on both banner, but the second banner has 2P, Akeha MA, and Fio SG on rate up so I'd personally recommend the second banner. Keep summoning as much as possible as you play through the game because it’s important to max ascend the characters (I pulled for all 6 limiteds first, now I'm pulling for dupes).

2. Immediately level whichever 4* and their weapon you got to ~30 and start going through the story. Don't max out the characters or weapons yet because you'll be too OP to complete some of the early missions. Try to get all three missions per battle because each mission gives 20 gems and clearing all three gives a bonus 20 gems. Level up as needed.

3. As soon as you unlock side missions, start clearing them to dump stamina to stay under the cap. The main story quests don't cost stamina the first time you go through them and you recharge your stamina when you level up. Also, go back to replaying battles to clear missed missions.

4. Fill up all 100 friend slots because you get 1 stamina for each person you "send" stamina to (you don't actually send any). Replace inactive friends because you also get 1 stamina from each friend who sends you stamina.

5. As soon as you can do it, beat chapter 6 on hard mode (just beat it, come back for missions later) to unlock advanced auto battling (uses character and companion skills). Also, beat chapter 9 on easy mode to get extra chapter ticket drops. After you get those two done, start working on clearing hard mode chapters for a ton of gems and unlocking Dark Memory quests.

6. Do the exploration bullet hell game to get tons of account exp.

7. Buy out the small stamina medicine from the shop every day.

8. Sell all 2* weapons and use the medals to buy out the small stamina medicine in the medal shop (costs 5000 medals). Also go into "Other" and sell the coins you may have.

9. Dark Memory: Beating each hard mode chapter will give you a special 3* black weapon and unlock a corresponding Dark Memory quest. Apparently you can grind the Dark Memory quests to rank up those black weapons eventually making them 5* weapons and unlocking the "Dark" character associated with that weapon. Apparently these characters/weapons are stronger than their standard 4* counterparts.

10. Collab Priority: Collab stages drop medals to use in the collab shop. You get bonus medals for using certain weapons, three of which you can buy with the medals, and one of them from the login event. So the priority is to buy each of the 3* characters (200 medals each) to get their weapons, and then focus on maximizing each weapon one at a time (400 medals for each dupe, four dupes total). I've been farming Very Hard 9 for medals and player exp and character exp items.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah, it’s important to grind out max ascension collab weapons ASAP. A maxed out one (can be lvl 1, just need to buy dupes) gives +10 coins. So thats +30 from the 3 collab weapons, and then +2 from each of your 4* weapons, and also that head weapon mentioned above. For reference I get 60+ medals per clear of VH9. I forgot the number exactly, but 24 comes from the drop itself and the rest are bonuses.

E: God seems to be a huge bottleneck right now in the early game, not sure if it gets better. Each weapon and character costs 25k to ascend. Don’t ascend characters/weapons you’re not going to use cause you’re gonna need that gold.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 31, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Also anyone still playing PGR? First real event comes out on Tuesday:

https://twitter.com/PGR_GLOBAL/status/1421488655399460874?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hand Row posted:

Enjoying Nier so far. What I especially like is I get to pull the gatcha a lot. Even when I had a real bad dry run, gimme dem pulls. If it stays that way I will keep playing.

The other nice thing is I feel like there’s a ton of poo poo I have no clue on, but I don’t feel like it harms me.

IMO there are only a few “must do” things:

1. Buy the stamina potions from the store every day.

2. Play the exploration game every time it comes up (recharges every 8 hours).

3. Beat normal chapter 9 and hard chapter 6 as soon as you can because they increase drops and make the auto battle better.

4. Click on the tiny 1px specs of dust. Those are birds. Click the drat birds.