Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
AEW Breakout Star
This poll is closed.
Private Party 8 4.71%
Darby Allin 108 63.53%
Riho 20 11.76%
Tony Schiavone 34 20.00%
Total: 170 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bumper Stickup posted:

Holy poo poo I just got the dumb meta joke they did with Jericho and Luchasaurus. Jericho throwing the dinosaur book away saying he doesn't like dinosaurs and running away when Luchasaurus makes the save.

Intentional or not that's great.

That's intentional and it whips loving rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Just got home from the show. Couldn't stay to watch all of the dark matches, but it was a great time. It's very clear that the crowd is trying its best to elevate the show. There was a lot of talk in the audience during the Baker/Shida match along the lines of, "ehhh, this is pretty bad... let's try to liven thing up a little," which resulted in chants to try to bring up the energy. It felt so different from the Raw show I went to a couple of years ago (the one where the Shield reunited); there, the crowd was just constantly making GBS threads on everything and actively trying to disrupt the show and promos. Totally different atmospheres; I liked the positive mood. Although I'm not an AEW superfan, I was very eager to attend one of these early shows because I don't know how sustainable that is from a wrestling fandom. It's great as it is, though.

Some notes from the show:

- The most over person was Cody, who came out immediately after the show to do a little promo. I cannot express how over Cody was.
- Somebody in the crowd had a "SUCK IT, VINCE" sign. Cody asked to see it, laughed, and said, "Well... I can't say anything about that. But... that says it all, doesn't it?"
- The second tier was Chris Jericho, Billy Gunn (holy poo poo did people LOVE Billy Gunn, I was blown away), Jon Moxley, Luchasaurus, and MJF.
- The third tier was Awesome Kong, Orange Cassidy, SCU, Dustin Rhodes, and Darby Allin.
- Everybody else had a handful of fans but just received kind of polite "it's good that you're trying" applause.
- The audio cut out in the arena for the middle half of the "Jericho walking around backstage" segment. There was also a weird bit with the Jurassic Express music playing again after they were already in the ring. Those were the only real production problems.
- This is a little subjective, but I was surprised by how quiet the music was even at the show. I had always thought they just didn't amp it up for the broadcast, but it was also very dim there, too. The only music that seemed balanced right was Cody's and Private Party's.
- Some of the Young Bucks money landed on the pyro and caught fire during Fenix's entrance.
- Although people were enamored with Billy Gunn, there were also some vocal complaints from people asking why he was put in the ring with a bunch of people who are visibly waaaaay smaller than him. There was kind of a "oh, is he supposed to be a giant?" deal going on.
- There were also some people complaining that Darby Allin got "buried," but that seemed like a very small minority.
- Somebody yelled "SUFFOCATE ME BETWEEN YOUR CHEEKS SONNY" during the battle royale and got kicked out.
- There was a girl a few seats away from me who was SCREECHING Darby Allin's name throughout that entire match. I wonder if you could hear it on the broadcast. It was constant it was loud.
- The obnoxious audience guy in my corner of the arena (opposite hard camera, entrance side) got a real quick talking to from security... it didn't help much.
- A dude puked in a trash can and then tried to nonchalantly walk away while getting a "YOU'RE hosed UP" chant.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Jake Hager ran from the dinosaur like a coward, but Peter Avalon was man enough to not only face the dinosaur head on, but to enrage it first as well. A true man’s man.

Recycling my GDT joke

Jake Hager only punches dinosaurs in PRIDE

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Went to the live show. The "main event" dark match was a ton of fun. Also, Darby was over here

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

surf rock posted:

- Somebody yelled "SUFFOCATE ME BETWEEN YOUR CHEEKS SONNY" during the battle royale and got kicked out.

:laffo:

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

TheHoosier posted:

Went to the live show. The "main event" dark match was a ton of fun. Also, Darby was over here

friend, darby is over everywhere.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i understand booting out someone who hollers sex all over the place since it's meant to be an inclusive environment. but i believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. of the cheeks. Take care

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/iamjericho/status/1197369227470086145?s=21

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

surf rock posted:

- A dude puked in a trash can and then tried to nonchalantly walk away

I've been this guy and respect the hell out of it.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

surf rock posted:

surf rock posted:

- A dude puked in a trash can and then tried to nonchalantly walk away while getting a "YOU'RE hosed UP" chant.

Please tell me it was the same guy.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What were the dark matches? Don't say who won just what they were.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Please tell me it was the same guy.

Unfortunately, no.

IcePhoenix posted:

What were the dark matches? Don't say who won just what they were.

Awesome Kong vs. Leva Bates
Shanna (?) vs. Big Swole (?)
Jack Evans vs. Kenny Omega for a AAA championship

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

was aew good tonight?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've been this guy and respect the hell out of it.

I mean, what else do you do when you puke in a trashcan? Hang around and offer apologies? You get that poo poo out and then get as far away as you can while deluding yourself that everyone doesn't know you're fall down drunk and smell like puke.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

surf rock posted:

Unfortunately, no.

I love this thank you

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

surf rock posted:

loving incredible :xd:

yea ok posted:

was aew good tonight?

It was great :)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

wonderful to hear

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I liked the parts of the show with the good wrestling and with the good promos.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I am now 1000% into The Dark Order.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

surf rock posted:

Sucks that I got thrown out but hell I had to try

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

https://twitter.com/jonmoxieys/status/1197335641429819392?s=21

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

surf rock posted:

they were actually brought backstage, and were then suffocated between Sonny's cheeks.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Drew McIntyre posted:

they were actually brought backstage, and were then suffocated between Sonny's cheeks.

There are eight million ways to die. That’s one.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

was aew good tonight?

it was great, how was the sex?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

fantastic thank you

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The battle royale was so much fun. That’s something I need to go back and watch without the commercial break. It’s just such a fun roster, and this kind of match gives everyone time to do their wacky indie gimmicks in a real low stakes environment. It’s a good place for comedy and character work.

And I love that they called back to the original battle royale with MJF doing the coward heel spot with Hangman and a third person still in the ring.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

surf rock posted:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Are Isiah Cassidy and Orange Cassidy related?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Oh my God I love this so much.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

Are Isiah Cassidy and Orange Cassidy related?

unfortunately no, his name is Isiah Kassidy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey I was just sitting around thinking and remembered that AEW loving owned again this week. Just reminding y'all :)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I will join the Dark Order.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm just sitting here wondering if the bearded dude was unmasked Evil Uno.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

I was curious about that too but the guy in the video looked much bigger.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Turns out he's just as human as the rest of us

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

surf rock posted:

Just got home from the show. Couldn't stay to watch all of the dark matches, but it was a great time. It's very clear that the crowd is trying its best to elevate the show. There was a lot of talk in the audience during the Baker/Shida match along the lines of, "ehhh, this is pretty bad... let's try to liven thing up a little," which resulted in chants to try to bring up the energy. It felt so different from the Raw show I went to a couple of years ago (the one where the Shield reunited); there, the crowd was just constantly making GBS threads on everything and actively trying to disrupt the show and promos. Totally different atmospheres; I liked the positive mood. Although I'm not an AEW superfan, I was very eager to attend one of these early shows because I don't know how sustainable that is from a wrestling fandom. It's great as it is, though.

Some notes from the show:

- The most over person was Cody, who came out immediately after the show to do a little promo. I cannot express how over Cody was.
- Somebody in the crowd had a "SUCK IT, VINCE" sign. Cody asked to see it, laughed, and said, "Well... I can't say anything about that. But... that says it all, doesn't it?"
- The second tier was Chris Jericho, Billy Gunn (holy poo poo did people LOVE Billy Gunn, I was blown away), Jon Moxley, Luchasaurus, and MJF.
- The third tier was Awesome Kong, Orange Cassidy, SCU, Dustin Rhodes, and Darby Allin.
- Everybody else had a handful of fans but just received kind of polite "it's good that you're trying" applause.
- The audio cut out in the arena for the middle half of the "Jericho walking around backstage" segment. There was also a weird bit with the Jurassic Express music playing again after they were already in the ring. Those were the only real production problems.
- This is a little subjective, but I was surprised by how quiet the music was even at the show. I had always thought they just didn't amp it up for the broadcast, but it was also very dim there, too. The only music that seemed balanced right was Cody's and Private Party's.
- Some of the Young Bucks money landed on the pyro and caught fire during Fenix's entrance.
- Although people were enamored with Billy Gunn, there were also some vocal complaints from people asking why he was put in the ring with a bunch of people who are visibly waaaaay smaller than him. There was kind of a "oh, is he supposed to be a giant?" deal going on.
- There were also some people complaining that Darby Allin got "buried," but that seemed like a very small minority.
- There was a girl a few seats away from me who was SCREECHING Darby Allin's name throughout that entire match. I wonder if you could hear it on the broadcast. It was constant it was loud.
- The obnoxious audience guy in my corner of the arena (opposite hard camera, entrance side) got a real quick talking to from security... it didn't help much.

Just got back from the show as well and yeah Billy Gunn was just ungodly over.

Mox/Darby was a loving great fight and I enjoyed it way more than Mox/Kenny going through a checklist of lovely deathmatch tropes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

My thought was Buxx Belmar but I'm maybe 40% on that

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

They're good posts, Pollyanna :hai:

God help anyone who goes through me and the G1

Works finished heading home to watch AEW now

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

surf rock posted:

Unfortunately, no.

Oh no RIP Librarian's Blue Extensions

This looks like a good card. I bet the crowd is loud for the Omega/Evans match!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Apparently there was also Trent vs Pentagon and Shawn Spears on commentary.