Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/wyr_bot/status/1302665707541364737?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

lol pretty even split, implying even amongst twitter crazies, gold is valued 10:1 over bitcoin

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

would you even be able to cash out a million dollars worth of bitcoin?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
they never said dollars

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Boxturret posted:

they never said dollars

1 million Bitcoin would be a fair amount of dollars (provided you could cash out), while 100 000 Gold would be... uh...??

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

1000000 hours of bitcoin or 100000 hours of gold, your choice

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
HERE'S ONE MILLION HOURS OF BITCOIN, ALL AT ONCE i scream as i clutch dr. craig wright's face during our climactic duel on top of a chinese warehouse mining farm

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

how many bitcoin-days-destroyed is that

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/imxl6w/post_your_entry_in_the_pool_for_the_20_billionth/g46dph5/

[–]NonnoBomba [+137] 12 points 23 hours ago

I'm thoroughly amazed by this giant three cards monte game, where the Lady keeps making the rounds, a few times "players" find her but most of the times is either the house winning or an accomplice of the scammers... which is how this game is supposed to work, but here the scammers keep adding new cards, new rules for how to "almost win" by finding lesser Ladies and they add new side-tables and even layer new desks upon the old ones, adding related, intertwined games to the lot, with cards chained to each other with near invisible nylon threads. Everybody is excited by the novelty of it all and think that with so many different games they can surely find one where they can win. They play on multiple tables to "hedge their chances". Nobody ever stops and thinks for a second that the game is just one and the only way to win it is still finding the original Lady, which is always one and only one card despite all those new cards and side-games going on.

At this stage, scammers are letting players win a bit more frequently -not enough to let them turn a regular profit, obviously, just enough to mask the fact they are slowly draining their funds- and they added these amazing new Rube Goldberg machines that play against themselves in one of the layers but reset and run again only if players keep pouring tokens in them. Which they do, because they think it's fun and sometimes, their machine wins, so its a good investment. It must be.

If you want to get paid what you're due at any point, you either wait and hope the scammer paying you can find an old, crumpled, smelly banknote in their pants, not all you were due but that's "what they have at the moment" or you accept to get all your winnings in the form of cheap plastic tokens with "$$ real monies $$" embossed on it, which you can't sell to anybody or spend in any way, but you can "reinvest" them in another round at the game on any of the side tables accepting them.

There is a press machine in the background that's making those tokens by the billions now, and though they look somewhat real if you try to watch closely at how they make them it's only thin air and empty promises going in the metal hopper... but you can't really tell what's going on as there's a thick velvet curtain around the machine with the printer's name embroidered in gold, which is "Honest Giancarlo & co.". It's practically magic. There's so many tokens around, that every player seems to have them now and only uses those, not money, to play most of the times.

Nobody seems to notice that the only ones bringing any real money to the multi-layered giant set of tables is the players, while the scammers keep bringing away to the bank bags and bags of euros and dollars. The ability of placing 2 and 2 together has been erased from the players' minds while they were busy LARPing as "savvy investors" and "finance experts".

Honest Giancarlo keeps his printing machine running and watches it all with a grin, knowing his work is keeping the game running and profitable (for the scammers) and that his private coffers are filling too.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

divabot posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/imxl6w/post_your_entry_in_the_pool_for_the_20_billionth/g46dph5/

[–]NonnoBomba [+137] 12 points 23 hours ago

I'm thoroughly amazed by this giant three cards monte game, where the Lady keeps making the rounds, a few times "players" find her but most of the times is either the house winning or an accomplice of the scammers... which is how this game is supposed to work, but here the scammers keep adding new cards, new rules for how to "almost win" by finding lesser Ladies and they add new side-tables and even layer new desks upon the old ones, adding related, intertwined games to the lot, with cards chained to each other with near invisible nylon threads. Everybody is excited by the novelty of it all and think that with so many different games they can surely find one where they can win. They play on multiple tables to "hedge their chances". Nobody ever stops and thinks for a second that the game is just one and the only way to win it is still finding the original Lady, which is always one and only one card despite all those new cards and side-games going on.

At this stage, scammers are letting players win a bit more frequently -not enough to let them turn a regular profit, obviously, just enough to mask the fact they are slowly draining their funds- and they added these amazing new Rube Goldberg machines that play against themselves in one of the layers but reset and run again only if players keep pouring tokens in them. Which they do, because they think it's fun and sometimes, their machine wins, so its a good investment. It must be.

If you want to get paid what you're due at any point, you either wait and hope the scammer paying you can find an old, crumpled, smelly banknote in their pants, not all you were due but that's "what they have at the moment" or you accept to get all your winnings in the form of cheap plastic tokens with "$$ real monies $$" embossed on it, which you can't sell to anybody or spend in any way, but you can "reinvest" them in another round at the game on any of the side tables accepting them.

There is a press machine in the background that's making those tokens by the billions now, and though they look somewhat real if you try to watch closely at how they make them it's only thin air and empty promises going in the metal hopper... but you can't really tell what's going on as there's a thick velvet curtain around the machine with the printer's name embroidered in gold, which is "Honest Giancarlo & co.". It's practically magic. There's so many tokens around, that every player seems to have them now and only uses those, not money, to play most of the times.

Nobody seems to notice that the only ones bringing any real money to the multi-layered giant set of tables is the players, while the scammers keep bringing away to the bank bags and bags of euros and dollars. The ability of placing 2 and 2 together has been erased from the players' minds while they were busy LARPing as "savvy investors" and "finance experts".

Honest Giancarlo keeps his printing machine running and watches it all with a grin, knowing his work is keeping the game running and profitable (for the scammers) and that his private coffers are filling too.

Sir this is a Happy Burger brand fast food establishment

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

if you missed this exit scam that's fine, this token existed for just under a week

Lol buttcoin

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sushiswap.avi

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as we all well know, the way you win at three card monte is to only play the oldest game

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

its a trick question where both choices are for bitcoin gold.

random marginally related info in case you dont remember which laughchain bitcoin gold is on (i certainly didnt, thanks wikipedia):
hard forked from bitcoin with the intent to eliminate asic mining, developers premined because of course they did
hit by 51% attack in 2018, $18mil US stolen from exchanges
hit by another 51% attack in Jan 2020
updated in July to stop an someone from dropping a chain of 1300 blocks all at once. when code is law and you dont like the law just change the code, lawyers hate them!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

every day for the past decade someone has had the brilliant idea "Hey! what if I make my own bitcoin, then people buy them then I run away with all the money and never go to jail"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it always works 10% of the time

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

oh sorry that would only account for like half of the bitcins out there

there's over 6000:psyduck: i was just making a joke but they've legitimately had to be making multiple new ones a day...

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

divabot posted:

Rube Goldberg machines

more like rube goldbug machinations

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

CampingCarl posted:

updated in July to stop an someone from dropping a chain of 1300 blocks all at once. when code is law and you dont like the law just change the code, lawyers hate them!

this sounds like a good laff, did they do it retroactively? like they saw someone had suddenly wiped out 9 days worth of their blockchain by publishing their chain they'd worked on on their own, and decided to publish a new client that said "nuh uh" to those specific blocks?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Hammerite posted:

this sounds like a good laff, did they do it retroactively? like they saw someone had suddenly wiped out 9 days worth of their blockchain by publishing their chain they'd worked on on their own, and decided to publish a new client that said "nuh uh" to those specific blocks?
yes and no. they detected this other chain being mined a week before it was published (not sure how, maybe because the mining power was rented?), and warned exchanges and pools. they secretly gave the miners and pools an updated client that had a certain block after the chains would split checkpointed so a chain without that block would be invalid. when the over 1300 blocks were published the pools and exchanges rejected it and then the new client was made public. i assume they would have done the same thing retroactively.

i think it is funny they call that mining activity "illicit" and their chain "honest" when there was no technical distinction, only what this small group of devs decided was legitimate. imagine the bitcoiner reaction if the fed came out and said "yeah a week ago we secretly told all the banks to not process anything with mastercard". there isnt anything that says a block has to be (or even can be) published immediately. that is the reasoning why bitcoin suggests 6 confirmations and not 1, because at that point there is a reasonable chance the chain wont be overtaken. if checkpoints are trusted just do that instead of wasting all that energy mining but i guess that wouldnt be disruptive enough.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
thanks. bitcoin and bitcoiners will never cease to be amazingly funny

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

CampingCarl posted:

imagine the bitcoiner reaction if the fed came out and said "yeah a week ago we secretly told all the banks to not process anything with mastercard".

ooh I know this one!

"this is very good for bitcoin"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Boxturret posted:

every day for the past decade someone has had the brilliant idea "Hey! what if I make my own bitcoin, then people buy them then I run away with all the money and never go to jail"

which is dumb because the best scam is "what if bitcoin already exists and then i run away with all the money"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
[in the voice of the audition lady from the league of gentlemen] EXCU ME HAB ANYBODY SAID BOUTE COIN YET?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what about coin?

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/Stock_to_Flow/status/1302095998467022849

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:hmmwrong:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i don't think bitcoin works that way

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

feels just like i'm rawdogging the blockchain

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

wow, some shady bitcoin exchange just hosed me in the face, and i couldn't feel the dental dam at all!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Boxturret posted:

i don't think bitcoin works that way

imagine four condoms on the edge of a cliff

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i don't want to get scammed on websites so i personally installed all my internet infrastructure

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
that guy fucks bitcoin

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boxturret posted:

i don't want to get scammed on websites so i personally installed all my internet infrastructure

the fact that you’re posting here is proof that it didn’t work

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Computer Serf posted:

that guy fucks bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

starting........

https://twitter.com/campuscodi/status/1303911829077405698

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

"hacked"

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

look you can never steal bitcoin. if you have the private key through whatever means that means you can send it to whatever addresses you want. its math,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Pardot posted:

look you can never steal bitcoin. if you have the private key through whatever means that means you can send it to whatever addresses you want. its math,

normal brain: my bitscoin were stolen! this is very unfair!

libertarian brain: i should have secured my bitscoin better if i did not want them to be stolen. since i am a rational actor, my failure to invest time in securing my bits was because it did not pass a cost-benefit analysis.

galaxy brain: by the transcendental logic of the blockchain, we see that the bitscoin were in fact never stolen in the first place