Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

qirex posted:

doesn't wikipedia have just buckets of funding and they do the pledge drives mostly because they're afraid to stop

I love people saying cryptocurrency and nfts are "interesting" which is generally code for "hella stupid but I think it could make me a bunch of money for doing nothing"

usually it's code for "i don't understand it but other people seem excited about it so i guess i should be too?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Wikipedia hates crypto therefore it is good

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
wikipedia is like one of the best websites on the internet. yeah it obviously has a ton of flaws but it's an immensely useful resource.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

divabot posted:

Wikipedia hates crypto therefore it is good

apparently not NFT's though, for some reason

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I don’t have anything insightful or funny to add but I need somewhere to express my exasperation at the idea and usage of NFTs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

HappyHippo posted:

wikipedia is like one of the best websites on the internet. yeah it obviously has a ton of flaws but it's an immensely useful resource.

The quality of Wikipedia articles varies tremendously. Some of them are very good, others are simply atrocious.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/Zebraengine/status/1466796887323947017

their support team seems kinda disorganized

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i wonder how many monkeys that google doc has harvested already

i bet it's hundreds

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

Wikipedia posted:

Wales is a self-avowed Objectivist,[88] referring to the philosophy invented by writer Ayn Rand in the mid-20th century that emphasizes reason, individualism, and capitalism. Wales first encountered the philosophy through reading Rand's novel The Fountainhead during his undergraduate period[20] and, in 1992, founded an electronic mailing list devoted to "Moderated Discussion of Objectivist Philosophy".[7][109] Though he has stated that the philosophy "colours everything I do and think",[7] he has said, "I think I do a better job—than a lot of people who self-identify as Objectivists—of not pushing my point of view on other people."[110]

When asked by Brian Lamb about Rand's influence on him in his appearance on C-SPAN's Q&A in September 2005, Wales cited integrity and "the virtue of independence" as personally important. When asked if he could trace "the Ayn Rand connection" to a personal political philosophy at the time of the interview, Wales labeled himself a libertarian, qualifying his remark by referring to the Libertarian Party as "lunatics", and citing "freedom, liberty, basically individual rights, that idea of dealing with other people in a manner that is not initiating force against them" as his guiding principles.[20]

tbh it's surprising he didn't jump on the crypto train sooner

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Jimmy 'Bear' Whales.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
wikipedia is by leagues and bounds the most useful thing ever created by libertarians. it must be protected

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
:barf:

edit: oh my god... it's a chain of them

AngrySpork fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 3, 2021

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
i don't know why they'd think that bitcoiners would know about such a think as "capital gains tax"

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
not to mention that it's $15 for that pizza which is only 14"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm the cheese pizza called "no cheese" that will definitely not lead to a bunch of angry customer support calls

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
here's your bitcoin pizza sir, that will be sixteen dollars

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TheFluff posted:

i loving hate wikipedia. it's fundamentally anti-intellectual. their general policy of what is considered verifiable fact boils down to always favoring pop-science misconceptions over any sort of deeper understanding of the subject. the more niche the subject is the more likely it is that the wikipedia article is just some complete nonsense or based on ancient public domain books that are based off of even more ancient research. historical subjects are particularly bad. don't ever take anything wikipedia says on norse mythology seriously for example, it's full of made-up neopagan nonsense that has absolutely no basis in reality.
the main problem with a lot of wikipedia articles on technical subjects is its difficult to determine what audience they're actually intended for, apart from maybe wikipedia editors

like if someone is looking up I dunno "spinor", I'm pretty sure the answer(s) that would help them is either a) it's a complex-valued column vector with two components, or b) no that's not how you spell the name of the guy who played the robot on tng. instead here's the introduction to the wikipedia article:

wikipedia posted:

In geometry and physics, spinors /spɪnər/ are elements of a complex vector space that can be associated with Euclidean space.[b] Like geometric vectors and more general tensors, spinors transform linearly when the Euclidean space is subjected to a slight (infinitesimal) rotation.[c] However, when a sequence of such small rotations is composed (integrated) to form an overall final rotation, the resulting spinor transformation depends on which sequence of small rotations was used. Unlike vectors and tensors, a spinor transforms to its negative when the space is continuously rotated through a complete turn from 0° to 360° (see picture). This property characterizes spinors: spinors can be viewed as the "square roots" of vectors (although this is inaccurate and may be misleading; they are better viewed as "square roots" of sections of vector bundles – in the case of the exterior algebra bundle of the cotangent bundle, they thus become "square roots" of differential forms).

It is also possible to associate a substantially similar notion of spinor to Minkowski space, in which case the Lorentz transformations of special relativity play the role of rotations. Spinors were introduced in geometry by Élie Cartan in 1913.[1][d] In the 1920s physicists discovered that spinors are essential to describe the intrinsic angular momentum, or "spin", of the electron and other subatomic particles.[e]

Spinors are characterized by the specific way in which they behave under rotations. They change in different ways depending not just on the overall final rotation, but the details of how that rotation was achieved (by a continuous path in the rotation group). There are two topologically distinguishable classes (homotopy classes) of paths through rotations that result in the same overall rotation, as illustrated by the belt trick puzzle. These two inequivalent classes yield spinor transformations of opposite sign. The spin group is the group of all rotations keeping track of the class.[f] It doubly covers the rotation group, since each rotation can be obtained in two inequivalent ways as the endpoint of a path. The space of spinors by definition is equipped with a (complex) linear representation of the spin group, meaning that elements of the spin group act as linear transformations on the space of spinors, in a way that genuinely depends on the homotopy class.[g] In mathematical terms, spinors are described by a double-valued projective representation of the rotation group SO(3).

Although spinors can be defined purely as elements of a representation space of the spin group (or its Lie algebra of infinitesimal rotations), they are typically defined as elements of a vector space that carries a linear representation of the Clifford algebra. The Clifford algebra is an associative algebra that can be constructed from Euclidean space and its inner product in a basis-independent way. Both the spin group and its Lie algebra are embedded inside the Clifford algebra in a natural way, and in applications the Clifford algebra is often the easiest to work with.[h] A Clifford space operates on a spinor space, and the elements of a spinor space are spinors.[3] After choosing an orthonormal basis of Euclidean space, a representation of the Clifford algebra is generated by gamma matrices, matrices that satisfy a set of canonical anti-commutation relations. The spinors are the column vectors on which these matrices act. In three Euclidean dimensions, for instance, the Pauli spin matrices are a set of gamma matrices,[i] and the two-component complex column vectors on which these matrices act are spinors. However, the particular matrix representation of the Clifford algebra, hence what precisely constitutes a "column vector" (or spinor), involves the choice of basis and gamma matrices in an essential way. As a representation of the spin group, this realization of spinors as (complex[j]) column vectors will either be irreducible if the dimension is odd, or it will decompose into a pair of so-called "half-spin" or Weyl representations if the dimension is even.[k]
which, you know, great. but i don't think that's going to be much use to anyone who's found themselves needing to look it up. it's written to avoid "well actually" arguments from people who absolutely don't have to look it up in the first place

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

meatballs...piled high!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

i wonder how many monkeys that google doc has harvested already

i bet it's hundreds
lol
https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity/status/1466906414358700041

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

why would you want to ban crypto scammers from social media? the scams are fun for me, and completely philosophically agreeable to their targets, what’s the problem?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

the main problem with a lot of wikipedia articles on technical subjects is its difficult to determine what audience they're actually intended for, apart from maybe wikipedia editors

like if someone is looking up I dunno "spinor", I'm pretty sure the answer(s) that would help them is either a) it's a complex-valued column vector with two components, or b) no that's not how you spell the name of the guy who played the robot on tng. instead here's the introduction to the wikipedia article:

which, you know, great. but i don't think that's going to be much use to anyone who's found themselves needing to look it up. it's written to avoid "well actually" arguments from people who absolutely don't have to look it up in the first place

it’s weird, i definitely feel like i’ve run across a lot of random mathy wiki articles and they’ve been fairly useful occasionally. like they might work out a proof or useful example and i’ve gone back to it occasionally.

i only ever look that up or like animals or plants and poo poo, anything historical or about a city or something i just zone out and give up.

it’s weird to me the guy is an objectivist. like would ayn rand approve of just giving away the “work” of contributing to wikipedia for free?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
One time I had a really expensive and big pizza like $20 at least but all the vegetarian toppings like mushrooms olives peppers etc were all smothered and cooked under the thick cheese coating while all the meat toppings like sausage and slices of pork etc were cooked above the cheese and it was loving awesome.

This bitcoin pizza thing is the polar opposite of that

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Eeyo posted:

it’s weird to me the guy is an objectivist. like would ayn rand approve of just giving away the “work” of contributing to wikipedia for free?

yeah this is really throwing me, the whole concept of wikipedia violates everything objectivism stands for

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Eeyo posted:

it’s weird, i definitely feel like i’ve run across a lot of random mathy wiki articles and they’ve been fairly useful occasionally. like they might work out a proof or useful example and i’ve gone back to it occasionally.

i only ever look that up or like animals or plants and poo poo, anything historical or about a city or something i just zone out and give up.

rand was fine with charity as long as you did it for the right ideologically pure, selfish reasons. so like you couldn't just donate to a cause because they need the money you have to do it because it makes you feel good or you get something out of it or whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like if you wanna go hyper-randroid you have to reinterpret all sorts of natural human behaviors through hosed up lenses like that. stop a child from touching a hot stove? you didn't do that out of empathy or compassion or the innate human reflex reaction to seeing imminent harm come to someone else, no. you did it because if the kid burned his hand you would have to deal with an annoying crying child, and by preventing it you get to feel smug self-satisfaction. all of this definitely went through your head in the fraction of a second before you acted and certainly isn't back-rationalizing, yep.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Shame Boy posted:

like if you wanna go hyper-randroid you have to reinterpret all sorts of natural human behaviors through hosed up lenses like that. stop a child from touching a hot stove? you didn't do that out of empathy or compassion or the innate human reflex reaction to seeing imminent harm come to someone else, no. you did it because if the kid burned his hand you would have to deal with an annoying crying child, and by preventing it you get to feel smug self-satisfaction. all of this definitely went through your head in the fraction of a second before you acted and certainly isn't back-rationalizing, yep.

Okay what about letting your toaster run a ponzi to pay off the debt it took on from the blender's bad decisions regarding letting your washing machine prostitute itself to strangers coming inside you home at 4 AM most of which are a clown that ends up in a barrel going down a river huh??????????????????????????

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
wales seems like a last-gen, usenet-era net.libertarian. a lot of the hardcore open source/cypherpunks loons were "information yearns to be free" libertarians, who mostly saw themselves as leet deckers who were protagonists of their very own epic shadowrun campaign. a lot of these guys thought that the wave of the future was something like the street performer protocol, where highly skilled individuals will attract wealthy patrons (or clouds of patrons with just a couple of bucks each) who will subsidise the development of poo poo they want. so the leet hackers will always get paid even if what they're producing ends up publicly available because the beep boop logical actors with the dollars will want to pay them because they recognise the value they represent

the fact that wikipedia makes millions more than its operational overhead via panhandling no doubt reinforces that particular belief. and the fact that it doesn't work for the vast majority of people just means they're not brilliant enough or whatever

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

on the one hand it's an obvious scam, on the other hand i can see bitcoin companies using a google form for stuff like that

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Shame Boy posted:

someone should tell wikipedia dracula

Isn’t he in the assisted-living home?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

SubG posted:

That last sentence sounds like it should be chiseled in a University’s keystone somewhere. If really good mathematics-focused authors wrote like this there would never be people learning math topics by themselves. I know it’s not as common as like, maybe amateur golfers, but I have read math-focused teaching-level textbooks more “human” than that. I’ve seen Numberphile videos on YouTube that explained Spinors better and plainer than that. You’d probably get a more concrete, concise definition from r/askmath just by bringing up the question!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

on the one hand it's an obvious scam, on the other hand i can see bitcoin companies using a google form for stuff like that
hmm tbh that thread is more bubble than buttcoin but I saw the coin base thing and laughed

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware/Software Crap > YOSPOS > buttcoin: on the one hand it's an obvious scam

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Boxturret posted:

our incompetence is so pervasive, it's also indirectly harmful, too!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eeyo posted:

he's making millions off the work of unpaid volunteers contributing their work for free to the thing he barely has to lift a finger to run

sounds pretty objectivist to me

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Back in uni I would use Wikipedia to come up with a lexicon of search terms I could use in the library and google to get actually useful stuff. Sometimes I would follow the source links too. It may often be full of crap, but it's a pretty good starting point for doing research, as long as you don't end there.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Is archive.org an ok place to give money to? they're ebegging and I gave them $10.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

archive.org’s hosting costs are apparently gigantic since they host a lot of downloadable stuff, their ebook and magazine archives especially are way better for research than wikipedia

so yeah they’re way more worth a donation

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
archive.org has a few dumb dumbs like that time they hosted some crypto poo poo conference or whatever it was, but in general it's a good thing doing good work most of the time

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

meatballs...piled high!

*eyes glaze over reading four-paragraph wikipedia intro*

ah... spinors, are another name for meatballs. That's a lot easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

lol everything down 15-25% today in a flash crash. Someone cashed out I guess?