Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

killhamster posted:

VERY MISLEADING!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
the exchange rate is pegged to 1 SOL = 1 FYGM

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Boxturret posted:

look they already investigated teather and there was nothing

:agreed:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Computer Serf posted:

tether hedge funds

:whitewater:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

1 tether = 1 BUFU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

so uh does coinbase have any measures in place to prevent people dumping USDT and trying to convert it into USD on their exchange or is this considered a feature

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

comedyblissoption posted:

so uh does coinbase have any measures in place to prevent people dumping USDT and trying to convert it into USD on their exchange or is this considered a feature

yes it's called a market depth similar to that of a paddling pool

actually you probably just get some unspecified error if you try and do it that prevents you selling anything aka the bitcoin way

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

what, like the coinbase outage in july, the one in october, the one in november, and the one earlier this month?

no, sorry, guys. running an exchange unavoidably involves many numbers. like really a lot of numbers and many of the numbers are very tricky. and everybody knows that if you put too many numbers on a computer or ask the computer to do too many things with numbers they just crash. that's just how computers work

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

like i don't know about each of their outages, but there was one earlier this year where that was literally the official explanation. "price data difficulty" or something. like the official explanation was that the exchange rate calculations were just too expensive to calculate and it brought down their cluster or whatever

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

what, like the coinbase outage in july, the one in october, the one in november, and the one earlier this month?

no, sorry, guys. running an exchange unavoidably involves many numbers. like really a lot of numbers and many of the numbers are very tricky. and everybody knows that if you put too many numbers on a computer or ask the computer to do too many things with numbers they just crash. that's just how computers work
number gonna yes go up
number gonna not go down
number gonna reach new high and enrich you

number never U S D
number always U D T
number never go offline and hurt you

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Your own personal Number
Someone to hear your prayers
Someone who cares
Your own personal Number
Someone to hear your prayers
Someone who's there

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Miami jury rules in favor of Craig Wright, who claimed to invent bitcoin

Australian computer scientist Craig Wright prevailed in a Miami civil case that pitted him against the family of his late business partner and computer forensics expert, David Kleiman.

At stake was half of both the 1.1 million bitcoin mined and held by Satoshi, a cache currently worth around $54 billion.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/12/06/miami-jury-rules-in-favor-of-craig-wright-bitcoin-claimed-inventor.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Had Wright lost the case, he would have had to produce the Satoshi cache of coins in order to pay the estate. But Wright did say that he would prove his ownership were he to win at trial. He also promised to donate much of his bitcoin fortune to charity, were he to prove victorious.

lmao okay craig, go ahead, we're waiting

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's pretty wild if he's lying but insisted on telling the court that he has the bitcoins but is the rightful owner and therefore shouldn't have to pay up rather than just saying he doesn't have them.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
why don’t they just make NFTs of the wallet addresses so that they can prove who owns the wallets?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

lmao okay craig, go ahead, we're waiting

i'm sure it would be a stupid charity but it'd be pretty amazing to see what happens if he sells $27 billion worth of bitcoin

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
ubisoft is all in on this loving garbage

https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/1468264199876923394?t=-t9KB6QPi0FJkL17u6vylw&s=19

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Looks about time for the fad to die then if Ubisoft is jumping on it

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grace Baiting posted:

tech bubble thread:

lol
lmao

The great thing about web 3.0 is that it eliminates the middleman.

You may have noticed that my diagram has inserted a massive middleman between the data and the user, but lets leave that rabbit hole for another day. ;)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
it removes the known middleman and replaces him with a dozen middlemen of unknown character

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
divabot you made it big! the book got recommended on behind the bastards

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

"energy efficient"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Meddling men.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Zamujasa posted:

"energy efficient"

I assume it means it's on some proof of stake blockchain or something and not on ethereum

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

blugu64 posted:

why don’t they just make NFTs of the wallet addresses so that they can prove who owns the wallets?

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean if you think about it an electric heater is 100% energy efficient at turning electricity into heat

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

1 - Limited Editions
Each Digit is released as part of an Edition that is composed of an immutable number of items.
No new Digits will ever be added to an existing Edition.

2 - Serial Numbers
Every single Digit features a serial number. This serial number is displayed on the collectible and on the in-game item.
Only you have control of this Digit!

3 - Player Names
Each Digit will also be tied to the player names of all its previous and current owners… bringing you fame for years to come!

The combination of a serial number and ownership history makes each Digit truly unique.
Each Digit has a story and, you are part of it!

can't wait for the e-spurts "wow! that player is equipped with the 185167th Shootymans, previously owned by H17L3Rd1dN07H1NGWR0NG" announcements

but hang on: what if steam marketplace?

quote:

More control
Traditionally, items you purchase from an in-game store are bound to your game account.

Digits take things a step further by giving you more control than ever! While they are first and foremost playable items, Digits enable you to put your items on sale to other eligible players, whenever you want and at the price you set. Similarly, you can purchase new items directly from other players.

All these transactions will take place on the authorized third-party marketplaces rarible.com or objkt.com, not on Ubisoft Quartz.

:lol:

quote:

How it works?
Digits are the first Ubisoft NFTs, playable in a HD game and stored on the Proof-of-Stake (PoS) blockchain Tezos. Compared to the Proof-of-Work protocol used with Bitcoin, the PoS protocol offers a more advanced and environmentally sustainable alternative. PoS blockchains work on a consensus mechanism that does not rely on complex computational efforts to validate transactions and therefore does not incentivize extreme amounts of energy consumption. For illustration purpose, one transaction on the Tezos blockchain consumes as much as streaming a video for 30 seconds.
proof of steak IS real!

quote:

What happens to my Digits if Ubisoft Quartz or Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Breakpoint shut down?
Last updated: December 07, 2021
When acquiring a Digit on the Ubisoft Quartz platform or on a third-party marketplace, you become owner of a non-fungible token (or NFT). This NFT is stored on a decentralized network called blockchain that is completely independent from Ubisoft’s infrastructure and is also tied to a set of metadata. The NFT is a certificate of ownership linking to those metadata that include the video collectible of the playable in-game item. The Digit metadata are stored on a decentralized network called Aleph. This means your Digits will live on beyond the Ubisoft Quartz platform or the Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon® Breakpoint game, and you will still be able to put them on sale on third-party marketplaces.

quote:

Couldn’t Ubisoft Quartz be done without blockchain technology?
Blockchain’s decentralized technology enables us to move beyond current limitations and set the foundations of an ambitious ecosystem. A platform that brings new benefits and possibilities to both players and creators in a secured environment: leave your mark in your favorite game and to be rewarded for your engagement, have items that live even outside the boundaries of the Ubisoft ecosystem, experience more control over your items and cash out if you choose to, and many more.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

Couldn’t Ubisoft Quartz be done without blockchain technology?
Blockchain’s decentralized technology enables us to move beyond current limitations and set the foundations of an ambitious ecosystem. A platform that brings new benefits and possibilities to both players and creators in a secured environment: leave your mark in your favorite game and to be rewarded for your engagement, have items that live even outside the boundaries of the Ubisoft ecosystem, experience more control over your items and cash out if you choose to, and many more.

so yes, then

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/xkeepah/status/1468292915109658627

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also regardless of if it's actually true or not i love hearing companies uncritically say things that amount to "now you can take our content somewhere completely outside our control! even if we shut this whole thing down we can't get rid of it!!"

just what every AAA publisher has always wanted!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the oppressive fascist regime that doesn't allow me to take my super awesome ak47 in to dark souls is finally at an end???

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol "a blockchain is a database that is shared across a network of computers", a thing no database has ever done before

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boxturret posted:

the oppressive fascist regime that doesn't allow me to take my super awesome ak47 in to dark souls is finally at an end???

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The universally beloved Diablo 3 RMAH... but with bitcoin!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Zamujasa posted:

PoS protocol
got that right! :xd:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that's just a meaningless mod, i need my ak-47 from counterstrike that did 5000 no scope headshots

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's so many fun bits in that faq

quote:

Is my Ubisoft Wallet a crypto-wallet?
No, your crypto-wallet is not the same as your Ubisoft Wallet. Your crypto-wallet is not provided by Ubisoft and is not a Ubisoft service. It is provided by a third party which operates under its own terms and conditions.

you need to make a separate crypto-wallet and link it to your ubisoft wallet so you can use ether (sold separately) to buy whatever the hell this token is (sold separately) to buy Digits (sold separately) which then go in your Inventory which is not your Ubisoft Wallet

quote:

Are there any commissions and fees on Digit resale?
On both authorized marketplaces for Digits, a fee will be charged by the secondary market platform operator on each transaction, and in some cases, by Ubisoft as well.

The fee charged by the secondary market platform is at the sole discretion of the platform operator.
When it applies, the fee to Ubisoft will be a percentage of the value paid by the buyer.
Note that those services are not provided by Ubisoft, and that the marketplaces operate under their own terms and conditions.

you have to pay a fee to the exchange and also an arbitrary fee to ubisoft, somehow, we're not entirely sure how that part will work but we know we'll be making money off this. i mean how could we not make money off this?

quote:

Is blockchain a privacy-friendly technology?
Yes. Blockchain is recognized for being a secure technology as it guarantees the accuracy of data and prevent any data alteration. Also, Ubisoft Quartz has minimized the amount of personal data attached to the Digits (namely, Ubisoft player name and public crypto-wallet address) while still preserving the uniqueness and value of the Digits.

Due to the nature of blockchain, the retention period of the personal data in the Digits is aligned with the duration of the blockchain, which means that the right of an individual to have all of its data deleted may not be available with respect to the metadata embedded in the Digits.

However, Ubisoft Quartz endeavors to enforce all privacy rights available to you within the Ubisoft ecosystem. Also note that you can have your player name pseudonymized from your Digit metadata by contacting Ubisoft Support teams.

is it privacy friendly? yes, it guarantees accuracy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's so privacy-friendly you can't legally use it in places with privacy laws! isn't that great!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

gschmidl posted:

The universally beloved Diablo 3 RMAH... but with bitcoin!

and unlike the RMAH it's all unaffiliated with Ubisoft so when you inevitably get scammed/hacked/whatever, well, that's the cost of learning i guess

Shame Boy posted:

there's so many fun bits in that faq

you need to make a separate crypto-wallet and link it to your ubisoft wallet so you can use ether (sold separately) to buy whatever the hell this token is (sold separately) to buy Digits (sold separately) which then go in your Inventory which is not your Ubisoft Wallet

you have to pay a fee to the exchange and also an arbitrary fee to ubisoft, somehow, we're not entirely sure how that part will work but we know we'll be making money off this. i mean how could we not make money off this?

is it privacy friendly? yes, it guarantees accuracy.

the privacy thing is the funniest because even the little blurb in the preview makes it very clear the answer has nothing to do with the question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i genuinely can't tell if that whole thing is trying to distract you from the fact that there's no privacy at all, or if they legitimately don't know what the hell "privacy" is and think that it means "authentication", because it really could be either one