Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Tangentially related to bitcoin, I found maybe the first seasteader?

quote:

In 1964, Leicester Hemingway, brother of author Ernest Hemingway, attempted to establish a country (or more appropriately, a micronation) dubbed the Republic of New Atlantis, on an 8-by-30-foot (2.4 m × 9.1 m) bamboo raft anchored with an engine block outside the territorial waters of Jamaica, using the Guano Islands Act as part of a claim to sovereignty. His apparent intention was to use the new country as the headquarters for his own International Marine Research Society, with which he planned to further marine research, as well as to protect Jamaican fishing. Neither the US nor Jamaica recognized his claim before the raft was destroyed in a storm in 1966

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

4lokos basilisk posted:

its not possible to interact with any of those blockchains and scams without going through some exchange’s perfectly centralized and subpoenable website, though

Pretty much this. Nothing is stopping a government from working backwards until they hit a point where a human has the ability to unplug it. And then force them to unplug it.

"But the scam machine is only a small fraction of what our thing does" they might complain. And the government will tell them they are free to shut down only the scam machine and nothing else if they can. If they cannot tough luck but its time to pull the plug on the whole thing.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Tzarnal posted:

Pretty much this. Nothing is stopping a government from working backwards until they hit a point where a human has the ability to unplug it. And then force them to unplug it.

"But the scam machine is only a small fraction of what our thing does" they might complain. And the government will tell them they are free to shut down only the scam machine and nothing else if they can. If they cannot tough luck but its time to pull the plug on the whole thing.

so the result will be this:

1. all exchanges that don't bother to report stuff to the IRS and follow SEC regulation will be banned from offering services to US citizens.
2. US users will still use the exchanges through trivial VPN routes.
3. once this becomes too big of a problem and the feds decide it's time, whoever processes the actual dollar transactions for the exchanges will get their balls put in a vice.
4. the bank that does the usd transactions will pay eight figgies in a settlement in which it does not admit guilt (but the settlement will include wording that makes it absolutely crystal clear that they were guilty as sin), but it will continue doing the bad business because it makes them more money than that

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Oh, that's what "altogether ooki" means. I thought Gomez was better than this.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

EricBauman posted:

so the result will be this:

1. all exchanges that don't bother to report stuff to the IRS and follow SEC regulation will be banned from offering services to US citizens.
2. US users will still use the exchanges through trivial VPN routes.
3. once this becomes too big of a problem and the feds decide it's time, whoever processes the actual dollar transactions for the exchanges will get their balls put in a vice.
4. the bank that does the usd transactions will pay eight figgies in a settlement in which it does not admit guilt (but the settlement will include wording that makes it absolutely crystal clear that they were guilty as sin), but it will continue doing the bad business because it makes them more money than that

the less low friction scam funnels with “trustworthy” gateways, the better imo

you cant stop people from triple vpning into tor onion networks or whatever but most people that will be way too shady

i dont expect significant consequences for sv vcs who made big profits from crypto and actually backed celsius and the like, yeah

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

gschmidl posted:

beats the sealand guy by a couple of years.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:getin:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

gschmidl posted:

have you never heard of Sealand?

anyway, some giant mining company just filed for bankruptcy

https://twitter.com/web3isgreat/status/1573063816375672837
https://www.coindesk.com/business/2022/09/22/crypto-mining-data-center-provider-compute-north-files-for-bankruptcy-protection/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

they're compute south now

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

they provide custom-built mining facilities in carefully selected and well-built facilities

those custom-built mining facilities are shipping containers with wires run out to them, and the carefully-selected and well-built facilities are flat patches of dirt to dump the shipping containers on

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
compared to the days of gpus in milk crates, miners that consist mostly of cardboard and powerbars and general fire hazards, and throwing liquid nitrogen at computers, this is absolutely a massive improvement

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FAUXTON posted:

they're compute south now

more like Compute Nope

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

HappyHippo posted:

have you never heard of Sealand?

That was 3 years later.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol helium
https://twitter.com/sarahnemerson/status/1573325581613207554

https://twitter.com/sarahnemerson/status/1573326760917479425

https://twitter.com/sarahnemerson/status/1573327850039832577

of course Napster boy is a founder

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I feel like it's bad for mining that the shovel makers are also starting to fold

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDhU295bUv4

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
canada's conservative party picked their leader recently, one of his big proposals was to use bitcoin as an inflation hedge

quote:

April was the first full month that Poilievre’s fans could have followed his example to opt out of inflation with bitcoin. August was the most recent month covered by a Consumer Price Index (CPI) report. The number of Bitcoins needed to pay for shawarmas and the other goods and services covered in the CPI jumped by 84 per cent in the four months from April to August, while prices measured in Canadian dollars rose just 1.9 per cent.

In just one month, from April to May, the cost of living measured in Bitcoins rose 30.1 per cent. June was even worse. Monthly inflation reached 31 per cent for Canadian bitcoin users. Each of these monthly inflation rates in bitcoin terms exceeded Canada’s highest-ever annual inflation rate of 21.6 per cent from June 1919 to June 1920.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i doubt the typical tory voter is going to let that stop them though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

does literally anything use the helium network besides other helium nodes doing mining

cuz for all its touted "real-world usefulness" it seems to be solving a problem that doesn't exist

e: "Just $1500 for the month of August." yeah ok so the answer is no, nothing actually uses it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
$1500 revenue from $1.2B in capital? drat, marx wasn't loving kidding about the rate of profit going down over time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

$1500 revenue from $1.2B in capital? drat, marx wasn't loving kidding about the rate of profit going down over time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I say give it another year! we havent seen everything it can do yet!
https://twitter.com/NauticaNinja/status/1573353597999480835

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
SHNT

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

why aren't you considering the rewards for the thing that doesn't even have a value yet and that only even created its twitter account like 3 days ago??

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the press release is pretty confusing too

https://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=294475

quote:

Nova Labs executes an exclusive 5-year agreement with T-Mobile. Nova Labs plans to launch beta Helium Mobile commercial service in 1Q2023 with an opt-in subscriber opportunity to earn MOBILE token rewards

Users of the Helium 5G network, who subscribe to Helium Mobile, can now enjoy mobility on T-Mobile’s network, America’s largest, fastest and most reliable nationwide 5G network

The industry-first deal marks a milestone in how a crypto-powered incentive model can inspire and reward custome

so like, the "helium 5G network" which isn't a thing afaik needs to partner with t-mobile so it can use t-mobile's actual 5G network, for... what...

inspiring and rewarding custome i guess?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

does literally anything use the helium network besides other helium nodes doing mining

cuz for all its touted "real-world usefulness" it seems to be solving a problem that doesn't exist

e: "Just $1500 for the month of August." yeah ok so the answer is no, nothing actually uses it

https://www.helium.com/lorawan

lorawan as a public network you connect to really hasn’t taken off. the economics require an absolute explosion of IoT sensors however at this point the average lorawan implementation is say an oil company deploying a single gateway overlooking a valley reading hundreds of tank level sensors.

helium claims the average cost for using the network is $1/sensor/year, so that would imply that there are 18,000 devices on their network worldwide. the things network has 20,000 gateways

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

so like, the "helium 5G network" which isn't a thing afaik needs to partner with t-mobile so it can use t-mobile's actual 5G network, for... what...

we'll pay you to use another group's service through us!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

though like all things described as "partnerships" the actual terms are just "they paid us a lot of money to buy wholesale use of our 5G network and we said yes of course we will take your money"

quote:

“We believe Helium Mobile is pursuing a very nascent and exciting market segment,” said Dan Thygesen, Senior Vice President of T-Mobile Wholesale and head of T-Mobile’s growing wholesale business. “T-Mobile is excited to support Nova Labs’ innovation in this new crypto-powered space by enabling their mobility on the nation’s largest, fastest, and most reliable nationwide 5G network.”

also how do you get your free money and fantastic savings? by constantly sharing your location data publicly of course!

quote:

Through the Nova Labs service, Helium Mobile subscribers can opt-in to earn MOBILE token rewards for sharing data about coverage quality and helping identify Helium dead spot locations nationwide and save money on cellular data plans. While Helium Mobile is centered in a bring your own device (BYOD) market, Nova Labs is partnering with select cell phone manufacturers on specialized, crypto-friendly cell phone devices that will be more efficient at validating network coverage, earning more MOBILE token rewards for their users when compared to generic, BYOD phones.

great!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

https://www.helium.com/lorawan

lorawan as a public network you connect to really hasn’t taken off. the economics require an absolute explosion of IoT sensors however at this point the average lorawan implementation is say an oil company deploying a single gateway overlooking a valley reading hundreds of tank level sensors.

helium claims the average cost for using the network is $1/sensor/year, so that would imply that there are 18,000 devices on their network worldwide. the things network has 20,000 gateways

yeah i know what lorawan is, i was more wondering if anyone actually used it the way they want them to use it, and it sounds like the answer is "no"

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Shame Boy posted:

[quote]
Nova Labs executes an exclusive 5-year agreement with T-Mobile. Nova Labs plans to launch beta Helium Mobile commercial service in 1Q2023 with an opt-in subscriber opportunity to earn MOBILE token rewards

Users of the Helium 5G network, who subscribe to Helium Mobile, can now enjoy mobility on T-Mobile’s network, America’s largest, fastest and most reliable nationwide 5G network

The industry-first deal marks a milestone in how a crypto-powered incentive model can inspire and reward custome

[quote]

so this just means 'after blowing 1.2 billion (half of it on ourselves, but still), we still don't have a network worth calling it that, so here's t-mobile instead, I guess'

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

it's almost like this technology designed for IoT sensors to report a few kb of data at a time is wholly unsuitable for doing the kinds of things phones do like make calls or handle legally-touchy 911 service or stream videos

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
blockchain solves this.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

it's almost like this technology designed for IoT sensors to report a few kb of data at a time is wholly unsuitable for doing the kinds of things phones do like make calls or handle legally-touchy 911 service or stream videos

there’s several IoT (formerly m2m) centric MVNOs such as kore. it looks like twilio hasn’t given up on it yet either. catm and nbiot are technically 5G and are data only.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

i really like the argument of "when the fed comes, we're going to structure everything so they come after you instead of us! please use our service!" just on its own too

Finance .... But the cloud!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

FINANCE BUTT CLOUD

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

FINANCE BUTT CLOUD

:hmmyes:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Juul-Whip posted:

I say give it another year! we havent seen everything it can do yet!
https://twitter.com/NauticaNinja/status/1573353597999480835

wow they've broken the one friedman unit barrier and leapt straight to a whole 2FU :popclap:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret posted:

FINANCE BUTT CLOUD

FINANCE
BUTT
CLOUD

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011