Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
what this bankman didn't have a chief financial officer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
lol

what about governance?

[carrier lost]

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

lol then when questioned about that the feed goes dead

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

no you see the problem with ftx was too much governance

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

over a dozen boards, not a single cfo or anyone that can assess risk

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

he's jittering like a mad man

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

they just didn't have anyone saying "i feel responsible for what happens on ftx" in over a dozen boards

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

not in so many words, but sbf is feeling around the edges of the answer "the problem was that we were too decentralised"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i put everything i had in to ftx, i even took out loans and put it right back in the company

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

the closed off posture and stuttering in response to "did you lie?"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

have you lied?

well, here's what i think happened... [1/31]

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

he's really latching on to the fact they didn't have a risk assessment person lol, all this wouldn't have happened if someone read that book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laKprX-HP94

too bad books over 1 page long are worthless

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

those were way harder questions than I expected him to get lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"look, we were handling billions of dollars of other people's money and we just didn't have anyone to tell us not to do dumb things with it." isn't the killer defense he thinks it is

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1597782264091492353

the quest for an actual use case for blockchain 'technology' (besides speculation and financial crime) continues to grind on

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boxturret posted:

"look, we were handling billions of dollars of other people's money and we just didn't have anyone to tell us not to do dumb things with it." isn't the killer defense he thinks it is

that old chapelle joke where his white friend gets pulled over and tells a cop "sorry, officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that" and gets away with it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/CoinDesk/status/1597782264091492353

the quest for an actual use case for blockchain 'technology' (besides speculation and financial crime) continues to grind on

oh sure, and i'm sure this "IBM" company was tut-tutting the internet in the 80's too :rolleyes:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"if I wasn't supposed to do it there should have regulations stopping me and there weren't so it must be fine"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

"I don't see what good is accomplished by me just sitting locked in a room pretending the outside world doesn't exist." - A man who's never faced any negative consequences in his entire life, and thus cannot understand why he might need to take action to avoid such consequences.

Seriously!!!! It’s literally “I don’t understand why my lawyers would tell me not to do things. When I do things, good things happen to me. Why would they think me doing something would result in something bad happening to me?”

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ariong posted:

Seriously!!!! It’s literally “I don’t understand why my lawyers would tell me not to do things. When I do things, good things happen to me. Why would they think me doing something would result in something bad happening to me?”

https://twitter.com/TiffanyFong_/status/1593901973572567045

yes quite literally

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

come on, be your own defense in court you coward

the judge needs to hear how smol a bean you are

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

that old chapelle joke where his white friend gets pulled over and tells a cop "sorry, officer, I didn't know I couldn't do that" and gets away with it

"well. now you know. now get outta here" lol

that was exactly what i thought of at first too

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Tzarnal posted:

And yet I can google for ehterium asic and i'll find advertisements for whole generations of the things, so that worked out Great.
those are probably scams

SubG posted:

lol

what about governance?

[carrier lost]
going to assume that last bit was a sound effect heard on stream so good on him for playing StarCraft 1

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 1, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SubG posted:

there's like negative selective pressure for scam competence in crypto. way back all the early guys were veteran con guys running venerable cons more or less by the numbers. lots of mail fraud guys, ponzi poo poo, mortgage refi scams, that kind of thing. but now? who the gently caress has time for the whole approach/build-up/convincer nonsense? just give me a couple billion of those vc dollars gently caress you i'm not going to stop playing lol to take the call and the business model is gently caress you that's the business model.

like way back state of the art in bitcoin scams was like bitcoin doublers and the level of technical competence required to run a crypto scam has only gone down from there
Timely reminder that Billy McFarland has been out of jail since October.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
well they're definitely scams now as you can't mine eth, they somehow managed to pull the PoS conversion off successfully
but there really were asics for the "ethash" algorithm which etherium used. somehow the efficiency difference between them and gpus wasn't super high and gpus stayed competitive, i guess because it uses so much ram that a lot of the cost of asics goes into plain old non-application-specific ram chips so their relative advantage is smaller

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/ryaneshea/status/1598094603106025472

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i was just going to post that

how was this guy a billionaire lmao

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Very misleading. In reality he's swallowed 3 thousand prawns once in one day and has been slowly digesting the meal since.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

quote:

How do you accidentally eat 3000 shrimp?
They must have been doing better speed than I thought.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not that hard, I hear they’re easy to mistake for small pastries

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it wasn't until the 2998th one that he started to get suspicious

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that's over 9 shrimp a day

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

that's a paid blue check

Cofounder of NewCo (Coming Soon),
@Stacks
(DeFi on Bitcoin),
@VoterbaseApp
(Voting Guide). Eng of bits & atoms. Investor in frontier tech. ryan.btc/ryanshea.eth

(and the story doesn't appear on nyt)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Boxturret posted:

that's over 9 shrimp a day

lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

also yeah i looked for it on nyt too, no dice. its fake but funny

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Prawns Sam is an outlier and should not have been counted

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ok but what if it's actually the 9 krill that have been crushed up into his krill oil?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Tzarnal posted:

And yet I can google for ehterium asic and i'll find advertisements for whole generations of the things, so that worked out Great.

Thanks for the corrections on the bitcoin thing, I didn't realize they were specialized even more than that.

it seems to be a different matter of scale, with the ethereum asic devices being only 25-50x faster than a single GPU, meaning GPUs were still viable. too lazy to do math but bitcoin asics are like at least 1000s of times faster than a GPU

lol that these folks released a $9999 asic miner just two months before ethereum switched to POS though

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Eeyo posted:

ok but what if it's actually the 9 krill that have been crushed up into his krill oil?

is he a baleen whale? why is he eating krill?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i hope whatever lawyer's been roped into defending him is getting paid even more obscene quantities of cash than usual, because goddamn. assuming he does currently have a lawyer; we already know at least one dropped him and i can't imagine he's become more attractive as a client since then