Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i can't wait for future money that you can lose forever with no recourse

no no i don't mean stolen, just lost. nobody can use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Suspicious posted:

We call this the stock market.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious posted:

You've never put your bills through the washing machine?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xtal posted:

You've never put your bills through the washing machine?

i've never seen that destroy dollars

i mean they're made of cotton, if your washing machine can destroy them I feel sorry for your clothes

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

i've never seen that destroy dollars

i mean they're made of cotton, if your washing machine can destroy them I feel sorry for your clothes

https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/2013/07/10/a-table-lamp-was-all-it-took-to-burn-and-warp-an-envelope-full-of-cash-in-london

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
backups plural, in one storage location

that was neglected

magic internet birdbath

edit:

not cotton money

not a washing machine

KnifeWrench fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 18, 2021

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

yes, canadian money, which is why the us hasn't moved to synthetics for the greenback (among many other reasons, involving vested interests)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Edit: potentially bad post, either way too many posts.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

and let's be even fairer: the future of money isn't a physical object anyway if we really want to compare like to like. if i forget my password to my credit union or my broker or my retirement account, these are all a phonecall or an online captcha away from being unlocked. because i allow a modicum of trust in my transactions, i don't take my financial life into my hands every time i create a password known only to me and god. even beyond that, i am by law the owner of the contents of that account, and if necessary there exists a legal mechanism to reassert my control over the accounts and my funds in whatever guise. it won't likely ever come near that point but it exists.

no one ever went "i tried to withdraw from my 401k but my hdd failed so i'm out six figgies."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the story you linked says the damaged money's being replaced, because it's just FILTHY FIAT and doesn't require the energy output of a medium-sized country to generate new bills

though the bank of canada's spokesperson is apparently named "Alexandre Deslongchamps" which is very close to being a bitcoiner name

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also unrelated to your point but lol gently caress this woman

quote:

“This is a mortgage payment we’re talking about.”

The money was rent from tenants.

Moniz is able to move money around to cover the expense, but she wonders what others without that luxury would do in the same boat.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shame Boy posted:

the story you linked says the damaged money's being replaced, because it's just FILTHY FIAT and doesn't require the energy output of a medium-sized country to generate new bills

though the bank of canada's spokesperson is apparently named "Alexandre Deslongchamps" which is very close to being a bitcoiner name
in the US if you literally set a bill on fire you can bring it in to your bank and they might replace it on the spot if most of it's still there. if it's seriously damaged they might make you wait for the u.s. bureau of engraving and printing to evaluate your claim.

quote:

The Director of the BEP has the final authority with respect to mutilated currency submission redemptions.
Lawful holders of mutilated currency may receive a redemption at full value when:
(1) Clearly more than 50% of a note identifiable as United States currency is present, along with sufficient remnants of any relevant security feature; or
(2) 50% or less of a note identifiable as United States currency is present and the method of mutilation and supporting evidence demonstrate to the satisfaction of the BEP that the missing portions have been totally destroyed.

No redemption will be made when:
(1) A submission, or any portion thereof, demonstrates a pattern of intentional mutilation or an attempt to defraud the United States. In such instances, the entire submission will be destroyed or retained as evidence.
(2) A submission appears to be part of, or intended to further, any criminal scheme. In such instances, the entire submission will be destroyed or retained as evidence.
(3) A submission contains a material misrepresentation of facts.
(4) Fragments and remnants presented are not identifiable as United States currency.
(5) Fragments and remnants presented which represent 50% or less of a note are identifiable as United States currency but the method of destruction and supporting evidence do not satisfy the Treasury that the missing portion has been totally destroyed.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

KnifeWrench posted:

not a washing machine

well that's just like, your opinion

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

when they first made toonies the little inset bit popped out sometimes

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

lol the etherium blockchain is now 657 GB

its now 666 GB btw. hail satan

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
heh
https://twitter.com/jbensnyder/status/1362696830220333056

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

a very good tweeter

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

you know what else takes far too much energy to bother with

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
yes, but we're not allowed to say anymore out of respect for boxturret

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:bird:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

Typing the rest of your post, I would guess.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

We live in hell.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Paying for gifs (hard g) is better than Star Citizen, where you pay for jpegs (hard j).

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

pandy fackler posted:

The Brave web browser has an opt-in option to display unobtrusive text ads while browsing in exchange for Basic Attention Tokens (crypto). There is an option to tip BAT to website owners/content creators if they are signed up to receive it on a one time or recurring basis.

Maybe there is a good reason not to but it seems like a low stakes way to generate extra income for the site in addition to platforms such as Patreon. Last month I passively accrued around $15 of BAT between my mobile and computer browsers. Even if only 10 people auto-contributed $5 of their BAT to SA per month, that still adds up to $600/year.

Anyway that is my suggestion, here's the link to learn more.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
lol at the standard bitcoiner gambit "if [arbitrary number] people give us their money... we'll have this much money!!!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

isn't brave the nazi browser or something because they decided firefox was for cucks

e: oh that thread answers my question

Tezer posted:

The founder of Brave is a homophobe who contributed money to help defeat gay marriage in California. His response can be summed up as "Sure I hate gays, but I don't hate the gays that work for me."

Just a fun fact. A little treat.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He also designed JavaScript inasmuch as anyone can say it was designed. You can tell because JavaScript and brave are both terrible.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hammerite posted:

lol at the standard bitcoiner gambit "if [arbitrary number] people give us their money... we'll have this much money!!!"

my favorite variant of that was when they'd nag a store into accepting bitcoin with the promise that everyone on bitcointalk would flood them with orders, then literally nobody would use it so a year later they'd stop accepting it, at which point the bitcoiners would somehow find out and be outraged and declare that they would forever boycott the store or w/e

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hammerite posted:

if we can sell a tooth brush to just 10% of the people in china we'll be set for life!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Shame Boy posted:

my favorite variant of that was when they'd nag a store into accepting bitcoin with the promise that everyone on bitcointalk would flood them with orders, then literally nobody would use it so a year later they'd stop accepting it, at which point the bitcoiners would somehow find out and be outraged and declare that they would forever boycott the store or w/e

hey now, they wouldn't just boycott the store, they'd send death threats to your home and make insulting calls to your work

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

installing all the bird baths at BoNY Mellon?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
that's my favorite band!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am here to announce I will no longer accept bitcoin as payment for any of my products or services.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I will accept bitcoin for no product or service

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

lmao seraph has spent 280 bucks on forums accounts since december 31

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

dude on track to spend over 2021 fiat dollars on SA accounts in 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
SA should donate the money to mental health orgs tbf

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

orange juche posted:

lmao seraph has spent 280 bucks on forums accounts since december 31

a pittance to a true coiner millionaire

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

a pittance to a true coiner millionaire

i think money might be short, he used to give them avatars too but now it's just the default...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
E: wordy post

xtal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 20, 2021