Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the aforementioned Joe Weisenthal posted an interview with a cloud hardware buyer today about China etc. cornering everything so they can mine coins

among other things the buyer describes how everyone who mines a little bit of a coin is thereby incentivized to devote their lives to it forever

quote:

One of the crazy things about proof-of-work cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Ethereum in its current life is that the early-on mining component of it is like the greatest user-acquisition strategy in the history of the world. It's like, "Hey, you have a computer. Your computer may already have this device. If you turn it on we're going to pay you $10 a day, and that $10 is now denominated in Ethereum." And now you say, "Okay, I've got all this Ethereum. What do I do with it?" And now you as a user are now researching everything in Ethereum because you have this financial asset.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it's gonna be a real trip if & when someone suffers data loss because chinese chia chasers kept a cloud provider from failing over a RAID disk in time

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Gazpacho posted:

the aforementioned Joe Weisenthal posted an interview with a cloud hardware buyer today about China etc. cornering everything so they can mine coins

among other things the buyer describes how everyone who mines a little bit of a coin is thereby incentivized to devote their lives to it forever

I think that was by design. The more people using it, the harder it would be to shut down, which is the main problem it solves.

Gazpacho posted:

it's gonna be a real trip if & when someone suffers data loss because chinese chia chasers kept a cloud provider from failing over a RAID disk in time

If your cloud provider has a competent storage architecture it shouldn't be a problem.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
oh yeah the interview link:

https://link.bloomberg.fm/BLM9782669674

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I think that was by design. The more people using it, the harder it would be to shut down, which is the main problem it solves.
If your cloud provider has a competent storage architecture it shouldn't be a problem.

Imagine if cloud storage popped up like crypto exchanges and were just as scrupulous

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
waffleimages?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
imageshark?

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o
mega?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i think if waffleimages had stolen pics and reposted them in an immutable ledger that would have made them own

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The_Franz posted:

the best part is that the british pork patrol clearly raided the building while not having any actual proof that it was a weed growing facility and just got lucky that some buttcoiners were pirating electricity so they could claim the moral high ground

Drug Police Accidentally Shut Down Actually Harmful Thing

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

kinda incredible that they can't detect such enormous theft of electricity and it's the heat that tipped them off that something was going on

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
they only investigated the heat with a drone after they had already become suspicious because "Many people were visiting the unit at various points of the day"
if the bitcorn miners just set their gpus up and left instead of tweaking them everyday they could still be stealing electricity as we speak

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
They were probably installing scalped 30 series cards day by day to stack the sats

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Boxturret posted:

you store the energy in the bitcoins until you need it then you can insert the bitcoins into an electronic device and power it

Energy is stored in the balls :colbert:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Potrzebie posted:

Energy is stored in the butt :c00lbutt:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

text me

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

The_Franz posted:

the uk in general has a smug sense of superiority about wiring practices that are correctly seen as dangerous and thus illegal everywhere else

yeah coiners everywhere else in the world wire up their buttminers really well, like professionals. only in the uk would you see badly wired bitcoin farms

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
bitconneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeect

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
brb writing a tv pilot a la breaking bad about an electrician who helps criminals steal electricity but it's always up to code

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
"I am the one who doesn't break code"

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Time to mine some butts!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ2qBlrW9vw

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

lol'd when I got to not a pyramid scheme.jpg

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

https://i.imgur.com/ZkxiUKZ.mp4

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yoink

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

https://ia.acs.org.au/article/2020/microsoft-will-mine-bitcoin-with-your-brain.html

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's the same patent that the anti-vax nutters think is about mind control microchips.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Henry Rollins: “what mines NAScoin? This mines NAS! This mines NAS!”

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Alan Smithee posted:

Henry Rollins: “what mines NAScoin? This mines NAS! This mines NAS!”

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

hyperbitcoinization is a beautiful process

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

All hail the new butt.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

the makers of the saw films are into bitcoin now?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Pinboard/status/1399058952336277505

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

idk that seems like a pretty good benefit to me

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:hmmyes:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jorgestolfi/status/1399142264262348800

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Except beanie baby collecting at least started as legit. All the initial massive NFT "sales" had the same buyer and seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Boxturret posted:

idk that seems like a pretty good benefit to me
I saw a dating profile that mentioned blockchain in two separate prompts and felt like I had to call Mads Brügger to set up the film first.