Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tight money supplies make for bad and useless currency.

if it's not a currency, what is bitcoin good for?

what is going to drive the demand that makes the price rise? just more speculation? someone dumber than you to buy it at a higher price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Soricidus posted:

you sure are posting a lot for someone who’s dead, “david” gerald cotten
vampires are undead so this checks out. also a good cover for his ever growing teeth.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what is going to drive the demand that makes the price rise? just more speculation? someone dumber than you to buy it at a higher price?

its this

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
Ok, I'll break it down I guess. At some point you have to trust something if you are signing digital works for authenticity. So you need some authority to link person X to digital content Y. If deepfakes are a thing, you can't trust some digital media of someone claiming an address on some blockchain. So there needs to be some trusted authority at some point in the trust chain. If there's a trusted authority, blockchain doesn't matter. Just trust the authority.

Kind of the same reason why blockchain didn't solve the problems of DNS with namecoin. At some point you need a certificate authority. If its not centralized/trusted it doesn't work (in ways that blockhain doesn't solve - being immutable != being accurate).

Blockchain isn't some panacea that solves all the things. Its a bullshit slow database that Bitcoin needed. That's all.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

browsers castle posted:

Ok, I'll break it down I guess. At some point you have to trust something if you are signing digital works for authenticity. So you need some authority to link person X to digital content Y. If deepfakes are a thing, you can't trust some digital media of someone claiming an address on some blockchain. So there needs to be some trusted authority at some point in the trust chain. If there's a trusted authority, blockchain doesn't matter. Just trust the authority.

Kind of the same reason why blockchain didn't solve the problems of DNS with namecoin. At some point you need a certificate authority. If its not centralized/trusted it doesn't work (in ways that blockhain doesn't solve - being immutable != being accurate).

Blockchain isn't some panacea that solves all the things. Its a bullshit slow database that Bitcoin needed. That's all.

weird it like we've been saying that for a decade :thunk:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

so if the lightning bolt means they support the ss and the tornado means they worship hurricane dorian what does this mean?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boxturret posted:

so if the lightning bolt means they support the ss and the tornado means they worship hurricane dorian what does this mean?

hammerlicker enjoys camcorders and model airplanes

cool biRd pics
Aug 28, 2009

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds
Cryptoqueen: How this woman scammed the world, then vanished

https://twitter.com/randomnine/status/1198607754086232064

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

browsers castle posted:

does "break it down" mean destroy your own previous arguments or just start talking about something else when cornered? or source your quotes.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011

CampingCarl posted:

does "break it down" mean destroy your own previous arguments or just start talking about something else when cornered? or source your quotes.

Transaction speed isn't that interesting. You can put a payment network on top of anything. What's interesting is the absolute scarcity and censorship resistance. Gold is confiscatable. Bitcoin is not. A real innovation here is algorithmic, immutable, global property rights to a new thing with value.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

remember when the police sold off all the bitcoins they confiscated off fross after he was arrested? good times

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

browsers castle posted:

Transaction speed isn't that interesting. You can put a payment network on top of anything. What's interesting is the absolute scarcity and censorship resistance. Gold is confiscatable. Bitcoin is not. A real innovation here is algorithmic, immutable, global property rights to a new thing with value.

tell me more

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

dang. that was a rollercoaster.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/matt_odell/status/1198320594472914944

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

browsers castle posted:

whats interesting is you just keep repeating the same words with no relation to what you are responding to. wait, not interesting, just boring.

cool biRd pics posted:

Cryptoqueen: How this woman scammed the world, then vanished

https://twitter.com/randomnine/status/1198607754086232064

"And he said: 'Well, first of all, they need a blockchain. They don't have a blockchain today.'

"I said: 'What? You told me it was a cryptocurrency company.'"

The agent replied that this was correct. It was a cryptocurrency company, and it had been running for a while - but it didn't have a blockchain. "So we need you to build a blockchain," he went on.
a cryptocurrency company not having a blockchain seems par for the course.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

browsers castle posted:

source the corpus you trained your GAN on

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

it's so hard to tell the difference between legitimate bitcoiner words, ironic bitcoiner words, copied out of context bitcoiner words, or ai bot mashed together bitcoiner words. really it's kind of impressive someone should write a paper on it

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
That was fun: https://cryptopanic.com/zenethics/comments

This guy

zenethics posted:

Gold is dead, no innovations for 2000 years, no use case.
is

zenethics posted:

It'll stabilize in the millions when the inflation rate goes below 1%.
loving

zenethics posted:

Ugh, I wonder if you're this exhausting to talk to in person. Whatever dude keep being wrong, time will show you.
amazing

zenethics posted:

Yes. John McAfee is my spirit animal.
:five:

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

pgroce posted:

source the corpus you trained your GAN on

Transactions are really, really expensive. I don't see this becoming an overnight revolution as we'll be relying on cloud-based cloud-sync and some other small tweaks to improve the situation, but these values are in their essence fundamental. So that's exciting, even if you don't use bitcoin.

When you started to see the correction in Bitcoin price, it looks like it was a prolonged correction, that it really cleared out any positive momentum and you started to see a pretty steep downward move as a result of which I would say this correction was more or less pegged to the price.So my first concern would be that we do have a correction and a potential long-term uptrend in Bitcoin price at some point in time, whether it's this year or in the near future. Let's take a look at how I am predicting these two scenarios.

Scenario 1: Bitcoin price starts moving up and it has a good start, stays where it is for a while, and is heading toward a move towards the new highs:
Scenario 2: Bitcoin price starts moving up, but has a below-average start, stays at this higher level for a while

For both scenarios, the cryptocurrency's value rises, and goes to new highs.

The second scenario also shows the divergence in valuation between fiat currency and bitcoin - the former remains flat and slowly slips away while the latter grows in value significantly.

This might suggest the growing demand for bitcoin as an investment, although you need look no further than this week's Brexit debate to get a sense of how much currency is actually considered valuable.

You can follow the author on Twitter here

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
if there’s anything I’m zen about, it’s ethics

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

browsers castle posted:

Ya, maybe. If BTC dips I can buy more before the general public understands what absolute scarcity means. If it pumps I make money. Win-win. Don't care.

pure profit am i right folks

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Should I buy a bitcoin?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

EorayMel posted:

Should I buy a bitcoin?

depends. are you currently digging a hole?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

EorayMel posted:

Should I buy a bitcoin?

sure, it will never ever be worth less than $10,000 US

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

7199>10000

it's just math

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

EorayMel posted:

Should I buy a bitcoin?

do you:
- have useless money you would otherwise literally be burning?
- want to buy drugs, guns, and assassination futures on the darkwebs?
- lust for the cryptoanarchistic future where you will live in a technoparadise lording it over the nocoiner peasants?
- care very deeply about the distinction between pedophilia and ephebophilia?

if so, the answer may be yes!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I have an overwhelming lust for coin

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Bitcoin fascinates me!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

The Bitcoin fascinates me!

SSAME!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
he price of bitcoin will continue to increase," Nakamoto added.

While bitcoin's price has fallen to record lows, Nakamoto sees the potential for bitcoin to reach a new peak of more than $100.

Read the full statement from Nakamoto below.

Disclaimer: The writer owns bitcoins, but doesn't own MtGox.

Disclosure: CoinDesk is a subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which has an ownership stake in BitMEX.

Image via Flickr

The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A nakamoto predict he own price of bitcoin. a shameful nakamoto

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Has anybody said "buttcoin" yet?

I haven't, but it seems people really like it.

Seriously, though, it would be a simple matter to move our symbols into a hot (BIP39) address, and to issue these little stubs to anyone who wants to participate.

There's also little incentive for someone to keep money in a stash which could be lost to a website hack that takes the logo and all funds to an irreparable level of irrelevance.

I'm just kidding, that was too intense a thought experiment.

---

Has anybody said "buttcoin" yet? No, not to anyone, but it is definitely in the conversation. So is "bactacoin" — too.

In any case, we made a conversation about what's in the future of a cryptocurrency and we asked readers, so the value of bitcoin is approaching a half-a-billion dollars, well ahead of last year's value.

Like other currencies, the cost of buying bitcoin has gone up, but the growth is dizzying, so it might be a while before prices stabilize.

You may also

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

someone said buttcoin: I'm just kidding, that was too intense a thought experiment.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
bit coin

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Someone said buttcoin and I thought they meant butt bones," a miner says.

"Fartbuttcoin" was then used to describe the coin, which was subsequently condemned by the community.

"As an entrepreneur, we need to be careful about using something as vulgar as the term 'buttcoin', as it can cause severe damage to the image of the Bitcoin industry," said Gavin Andresen, who helped design Bitcoin. "It really seems to be misunderstood and we're all for bringing honest, fair and mature coins like BTC to the marketplace."

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

browsers castle posted:

Transaction speed isn't that interesting.

mlyp

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

EorayMel posted:

You may also
no thank you

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012