Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Wutang-Yutani posted:

Jesus Bitcoin sucks to use.
I use it to deposit for gambling because my government is hosed but it seems like every third time you try and send $50 some rear end in a top hat is on the same transaction trying to send $500,000 worth with $0.30 worth of fees.
Resulting in a transaction that takes days to complete, or just never does!
loving Bitcoin, piece of poo poo.

would you consider following a proud bitcoin tradition and creating and maintaining a mycrimes.txt file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SIGSEGV posted:

would you consider following a proud bitcoin tradition and creating and maintaining a mycrimes.txt file?

lol not buttcoin but this is very much in the tradition

https://twitter.com/illybocean/status/1237289840435056640

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

:wrong:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Wutang-Yutani posted:

Jesus Bitcoin sucks to use.
I use it to deposit for gambling because my government is hosed but it seems like every third time you try and send $50 some rear end in a top hat is on the same transaction trying to send $500,000 worth with $0.30 worth of fees.
Resulting in a transaction that takes days to complete, or just never does!
loving Bitcoin, piece of poo poo.

oh no if only people tried to warn you that bitcoin was bad...

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Boxturret posted:

oh no if only people tried to warn you that bitcoin was bad...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Wheany posted:

i touched the poop and now my hands have poop on them!!!!! loving poop!

i fuckin knew it

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
pretty good replies

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

pretty good replies

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

why is every page on the something aweful message forum poping up a link to goatse?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Your one(1) and only opportunity to get in on the ground floor of goatsecoin

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
ghost titty apparently lost CAD$14,000 in two days after reinvesting his retirement savings in crypto

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

why is every page on the something aweful message forum poping up a link to goatse?

urmom

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

no you are mom

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Boxturret posted:

ambien and boxed wine

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://forbes.com/sites/stevenehrlich/2020/03/10/western-nations-are-afraid-to-follow-chinas-model-to-combat-covid-19-and-thats-bad-for-bitcoin/

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

total-FUD-and-thats-good-for-bitcoin-actually/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

no you are mom

harsh, bro

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I only bet on cockfighting using proprietary cockcoins. That's the only way to be safe.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Paladinus posted:

I only bet on cockfighting using proprietary cockcoins. That's the only way to be safe.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

:ughh:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

what

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

quote:

The most obvious place to look is Italy, the most effected country outside of China.
stopped reading there

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

and then I scrolled past it and the literal entire screen was filled with advertisements and a notice that they were going to sell my data if I didn't fill out a lengthy opt-out form

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The next Buttcoin halving is in just two months. The last few times it happened the miners were able to pump the price of butts to keep themselves solvent but this time it will coincide with the likely peak of the Coronavirus pandemic and a likely recession (caused by said pandemic). If that's the case the price will already be depressed and a pump may not take hold. If the pump fails we may finally see a frisbee on the roof scenario as mining becomes unprofitable for everyone all at same time. :crnasickos:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Mr.Radar posted:

The next Buttcoin halving is in just two months. The last few times it happened the miners were able to pump the price of butts to keep themselves solvent but this time it will coincide with the likely peak of the Coronavirus pandemic and a likely recession (caused by said pandemic). If that's the case the price will already be depressed and a pump may not take hold. If the pump fails we may finally see a frisbee on the roof scenario as mining becomes unprofitable for everyone all at same time. :crnasickos:

this is one of those "technical analysis" things, isn’t it?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1237420215530471424

betalarmannen
Jan 13, 2007

Pillbug

Mr.Radar posted:

recession also tanks electricity costs, so they are probably sadly able to continue mining

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Zopotantor posted:

the majority of terms aren't made up meaningless jargon, and the conclusions are drawn from logical implication instead of drawing shapes on a graph

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

how does tether fit into the scenerio?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

vortmax posted:

they stop being awful cowards and break the quintillion tether barrier

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Zopotantor posted:

I guess it technically is (:v:) since it's a prediction of future market action based on past market behavior and current conditions, but it doesn't involve schizophrenic scribbling overlaid on financial charts so I'm going to say no.

betalarmannen posted:

recession also tanks electricity costs, so they are probably sadly able to continue mining

But drop by 50%? Possible, but even in China that would be a stretch unless their economy really does go down the tubes (again, possible given the current direction the world economy is headed).

vortmax posted:

It's hard to say. The Tether exchanges will all be pushing the pump as hard as possible but at some point the miners need to pay their USD or CNY or ISK to the electric utilities and I don't think they'd accept fake-dollars, no matter how fully backed, as a substitute.

That said, even though this is the most likely scenario to put the frisbee on the roof it's still much more likely that they succeed in pumping (at least enough to prevent a total collapse of mining) and everything goes on as normal because :matters: in hellworld

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 11, 2020

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so mr. ulbricht ... tell me about your mother

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Mr.Radar posted:

That said, even though this is the most likely scenario to put the frisbee on the roof it's still much more likely that they succeed in pumping (at least enough to prevent a total collapse of mining) and everything goes on as normal because :matters: in hellworld

As fun as it is to imagine frisbee on the roof, it is not going to happen. Even if 90% of mining power disappeared simultaneously immediately after a speed adjustment, it would take less than half a year to be back at normal "speed." It is about as realistic to happen as moon.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

frisbee on the roof will never happen but that it exists at all is so mindbogglingly absurd. it would probably take the mining groups conspiring to fork for it to happen, which would be hilarious. maybe if side chains ever became a thing it could happen there?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
frisbee on the roof isn't a problem because nobody uses bitcoin, all the action happens off-chain on exchanges. a loss of 95% of mining power and now having three and a half hours between blocks instead of 10 minutes would have zero effect on most users.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

frisbee on the roof isn't a problem because nobody uses bitcoin, all the action happens off-chain on exchanges. a loss of 95% of mining power and now having three and a half hours between blocks instead of 10 minutes would have zero effect on most users.

:hmmyes: you guys are almost certainly right that the frisbee is staying off the roof (I can dream damnit :cry:) but I hadn't even considered that people would just keep swapping butts back and forth on exchanges even in a FOTR scenario (and the exchanges would probably just create a way to send butts between each other without a blockchain closing the circle on replaying the history of money and finance on fast forward)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
weird flex in coindesk's latest Consensus promo email, but i guess they're just leaning into it

so, you think coindesk are wishing they'd bought better event insurance, or

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

i`m literally sitting on a sofa right now. suck it, froosty`s urmom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Mr.Radar posted:

:hmmyes: you guys are almost certainly right that the frisbee is staying off the roof (I can dream damnit :cry:) but I hadn't even considered that people would just keep swapping butts back and forth on exchanges even in a FOTR scenario (and the exchanges would probably just create a way to send butts between each other without a blockchain closing the circle on replaying the history of money and finance on fast forward)
you can absolutely send and receive butts to and from someone else on your exchange without touching the blockchain itself. moving them between exchanges without involving the Universal Worldwide Ledger would require exchanges to trust each other to not be scammers.