Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FAUXTON posted:

cease, then decease and then listen/scams are back with a brand new the same useless invention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm the censored swears

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Endless Mike posted:

i'm the censored swears

they forgot to censor N*T

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Zopotantor posted:

the original fascists were Italians, and they took their name from the fasces (bundles of sticks for bashing people with, with an axe thrown in for beheadings) carried by the lictores, the bodyguards of certain public officials.

you know, those things beside the flag

i thought about pointing out the association earlier. colonial-era culture was in a big ancient rome phase (to some degree, eventually shifting to the victorian era with the inclusion of ancient egypt), so borrowed symbology is all over early u.s. sculpture and architecture. it's not exactly unexpected, considering all the olive branch clutching eagles, obelisks, and the marbled buildings of d.c.

I'm sure there's little neofascists cleverly posting fasces somewhere. I'd be more concerned about modern use of it vs centuries-old use. same goes for pretty much any roman empire imagery, now, which isn't exactly subtle for fashy types

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

https://twitter.com/bamdotcom1/status/1480895489910398978?t=NLy8hc-g3khVt_yH4lmEeA&s=19

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
oversight and control?

what the gently caress? whatever happened to trustless?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

infernal machines posted:

oversight and control?

what the gently caress? whatever happened to trustless?

You see :umberto:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Agile Vector posted:

I'm sure there's little neofascists cleverly posting fasces somewhere. I'd be more concerned about modern use of it vs centuries-old use. same goes for pretty much any roman empire imagery, now, which isn't exactly subtle for fashy types
i feel bad for all the buddhists/hindus/jainists who've been using swastikas for literal millennia and get confused with literal nazis since the co-opting of that symbol has overridden its original meaning in western minds.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah "SPQR" and the roman empire are quite popular among the more mandibular-ly challenged pale folk these days

its always annoying to play the "history buff or nazi?" game, although increasingly the easy strategy is to just assume nazi

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

people are insanely eager to yield cultural ground to neo-nazis. oh you know the difference between julius caesar and augustus caesar? id be careful with that, people might think youre a god drat nazi

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just watched a thing about agustus and he was short and balding and super mad about both and now you know a bit more about mark zuckerberg

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
hello fellow shopper. i see you have a packet of kellogg's frosties in your basket. perhaps you did not know this, but infamous twitter neo nazi @FrostyBelsen posted a video last week of himself eating frosties with piss and reading jane austen. both of those things are now of course forbidden to the rest of us, under the Laws of the Internet, lest we be perceived to ally ourselves with old frosty balls and his reactionary claque.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it's only nazism if it comes from the reich side of history, otherwise it's just sparkling fascism

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
sparkling white supremacy

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
https://venturebeat.com/2022/01/12/gamers-are-ready-for-nfts-whether-they-know-it-or-not/

quote:

It’s not surprising that gaming would be a driving force behind NFT adoption; the industry has long been a proving ground for emerging technologies.

[...]

One of the largest hurdles to overcome is the popular misconception of NFTs being solely related to digital artworks which are traded for monetary gain. In fact, the most exciting aspect of NFTs has nothing to do with individual assets but instead relates to the scope of their utility within an evolving digital landscape. It’s clear that we will spend more time within global, virtual, and interconnected worlds — namely the metaverse — and NFTs will be a core component of everything within this new digital domain.

[...]

Because the term “NFT” makes most people think of receipts for an off-chain JPG, they balk at the term “true ownership.” But you can’t “right-click” a utility NFT stored in a wallet. That NFT’s information will stay there for the user to admire and remember, and/or until a future project uses its data.

[...]

It’s just as important to get these reward systems right in NFT games. It comes with additional challenges — as Valve found with Artifact, balancing non-cosmetic items is a fraught endeavor that impacts users’ wallets with every lever pulled.

But there are also advantages: smart contracts enable trustless systems, and most of the cut that would’ve been claimed by a middle-man can be given to the players. This is play-to-earn, and one of the early experiments helped poorer folks in the Philippines get through the pandemic. Finally we’re acknowledging the value non-paying players provide to a multiplayer game, and this formula will improve over time.

the whole thing goes on forever and ever about this pie-in-the-sky poo poo while still failing to explain why the ~blockchain~ is necessary for these things

also, play-to-earn is the very definition of a bullshit job

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

a utility NFT[...]’s information will stay there for the user to admire and remember, and/or until a future project uses its data.

hmm this utility nft sure has a lot of that "utility" stuff that's in its name

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

epitaph posted:

https://venturebeat.com/2022/01/12/gamers-are-ready-for-nfts-whether-they-know-it-or-not/

the whole thing goes on forever and ever about this pie-in-the-sky poo poo while still failing to explain why the ~blockchain~ is necessary for these things

Tell that to the droves of pro dota and league of legends players :smugbert:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
lol if valve with their infinite money couldn't get it to work with artifact i'm sure the next time will be different!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
fascination with the Roman Empire was hardly unique to the Nazis

aside from the Holy Roman Empire, both the Ottoman and Russian empires had periods where the emperors also considered themselves to be "Emperor of Rome". there was some overlap between these periods, and the rivalries and dickwaving between these various self-proclaimed Romans could be utterly amazing

my personal favorite anecdote is when, Suleiman the Magnificent had a massive four-tier crown-hat made for the express purpose of having a bigger hat than the pope

there's definitely plenty of white nationalists adopting Roman iconography these days tho

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
wanna nft my steam cheevos

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

epitaph posted:

unreal engine bots showcases the capabilities of artificial intelligence (AI).

quote:

Invisible innovations abound on the back end, too — for example, most probably aren’t aware that Fortnite has deployed in-game bots since season 11, and while they’re not very challenging, this showcases the capabilities of artificial intelligence (AI).

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

:eyepop: you mean to say that they have characters in a game that move and attack without being controlled by another human:monocle:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the last 5 years of absolute bullshit ai/ml talk dovetails nicely with the different flavor of bullshit of blockchain

since neither exists in any useful capacity [and a bunch of actively harmful ones] they're a natural fit

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

epitaph posted:

"as a human experiment, we paid some money to really poor folks and they were really grateful. this means our idea is a good thing - there is no point in looking too closely at why there is a global underclass ready to fight each other to get a chance at any kind of job at all"

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
metaverse aint gonna happen at the scale that they think it is. itll be second life round 2

these people really want ready player one to be a thing.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

~the metaverse~ being a second second life in the way it's talked about doesn't even work because sl is way more expressive and accepting of people and niche cultures than the techbro/nft world

rp1 is a good analogy because it stars a white male character who makes the best space cultural reference move and is rewarded for being in the know about useless bullshit as the world crumbles around him

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 12, 2022

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

epitaph posted:

venturebeat posted:

Sponsored articles are content produced by a company that is either paying for the post or has a business relationship with VentureBeat, and they’re always clearly marked. Content produced by our editorial team is never influenced by advertisers or sponsors in any way.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

nfts invade old tabletop games

you know what's easier than that? get a loving database, or even better don't even gently caress around with some stupid ~*dIgItAl ScArCiTy*~ scheme for your little card game.

update to this: ks told this idiot to gently caress off with his blockchain poo poo and he's sulky about it.

quote:

Kickstarter assures me they have a policy barring associations between backer rewards and anything related to a blockchain or NFTs. I couldn't find any mention about it on their site or elsewhere online, but I've been assured they are quite serious.

To remain a creator in good standing, I need to walk back my offer to give sets of the NFTs we plan to create to those who backed us at some level which promises Eternal Illumination. Takes a bit of the shine off eternity, but there it is.

apparently he can still sell them through backerkit, it's just that making them part of a pledge level is where kickstarter cries foul.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why is kickstarter, a company that has proudly touted their upcoming blockchain platform, banning blockchain projects

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

why is kickstarter, a company that has proudly touted their upcoming blockchain platform, banning blockchain projects

they probably want a monopoly

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

why is kickstarter

i don't know

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

epitaph posted:

quote:

But you can’t “right-click” a utility NFT stored in a wallet. That NFT’s information will stay there for the user to admire and remember, and/or until a future project uses its data.

I don't pretend to know anything about blockchain bullshit, but if its anything like any other merkle tree, you could just like download the blockchain and all the jpegs would be right there

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it depends on the implementation but generally the assets are hosted elsewhere, the data on the chain is just a json reference to the external host

yes, it is exactly as stupid as that sounds

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

it depends on the implementation but generally the assets are hosted elsewhere, the data on the chain is just a json reference to the external host

yes, it is exactly as stupid as that sounds

yeah, the part im confused about is the jpegs being in the wallet. you don't transfer the contents of wallets. :confused:
i assume they meant the jpegs would be on the chain

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i really shouldn't assume any of these breathless bitcoin sponsored listicles have any loving clue what they're talking about either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they keep referencing "jpgs" but then the thing they're actually talking about is a "utility nft" which is presumably some game-object data encoded into the nft itself

there's no reason for it to be an nft rather than an item in a database hosted by the game creators, but whatever, "interoperability is key", you know so i can take my fortnite gun into rome total war or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

burning down the amazon to fondly remember my "teabagged 5 nuns" cheevo

no one, neither god nor men with guns, can take that from me. the blockchain is eternal

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

they keep referencing "jpgs" but then the thing they're actually talking about is a "utility nft" which is presumably some game-object data encoded into the nft itself

there's no reason for it to be an nft rather than an item in a database hosted by the game creators, but whatever, "interoperability is key", you know so i can take my fortnite gun into rome total war or something

if they actually do that it's going to be hilarious like 1980s dungeons and dragons where lovely power players would bring their same character around to every group they played in and would have tons of loot that "they picked up in the campaign last year." for some reason it was a real faux pas to tell someone they couldn't have a character that was twice as powerful as the rest of the group combined. it was as much fun as it sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

if blockchain just means slow database then nfts are table joins