Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

KnifeWrench posted:

purchasing new ones then putting the used ones back in the boxes to return sounds like an extremely bitcoin scheme

should have done it on amazon because then you could just put in a random card half the time. i buy amazon returned merch at auction sometimes and the amount of fraud is honestly staggering

i can't believe people haven't been writing stories about this very much. computers getting returned stripped of cpu and video card and ram, video cards swapped out, obvious hard drives switched, projectors getting labels pulled off and replaced with those 480p things, etc., etc. just huge, massive fraud.

i know this happens at brick and mortar stores too but there's no way it's at this level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

yospos jeff was one day browsing the leper's colony. he came upon the wretched little being known as seraph and giant cartoon dollar signs popped out if his eyes. it was then he knew that he must get the forums for himself, no matter the cost.

forums bubble

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what a comedy of errors. i assume they’ll manage to get something out by dint of throwing resources at it but honestly even if you were interested in crypto in the first place the idea of using anything financial from facebook gives me the willies

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

only feefees

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

no because the toilets face head-to-head instead of in-line like a rowboat

the one on the right is a bidet so one gets a show while the other cleans up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao the blockchain

assuming it isn’t an ironic pic you can just feel the furious jealousy radiating out

Soricidus posted:

carbon genesis evangelion

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i am convinced some of these are markov posts

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

except that making nfts actively contributes to drowning these people

i forgot what thread i was in and kept parsing this as ntfs

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol i sent that to my so

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Gazpacho posted:

bitcoin is like a burrito, once you look past the surface it's just a mess

i'm not sure i agree because burritos are good and useful and delicious

KnifeWrench posted:

please refrain from making such favorable analogies in the future.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if the teletubbies people actually gave a drat they could auction off a couple of items from the franchise instead of perpetuating the giant waste of everything that is the NFT

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i installed signal once and it automatically sent a notification to anyone i knew who had installed signal and uploaded their contact list

i then uninstalled signal

that's my signal experience thanks for listening

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

that's how whatsapp works too lol

i sort of expect it from some apps

xtal posted:

It's really funny when you get a notification that your friend joined signal because it makes you wonder what sketchy poo poo they're up to

haha. tbh it bugged me because for something that bills itself as so privacy focused i found that really annoying

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fart Sandwiches posted:

gently caress that's why a bunch of people messaged me. a friend wanted to tell me a work related story and asked me to use signal so why not, and immediately I got several messages from people i know like hey man long time! hate that poo poo. but i like my friend so we chat on that instead of anything else

yeah a friend messaged me a few minutes later and told me because she knew it would bug me

the fact that it isn't immediately obvious and that you aren't able to opt-out i find skeevy. again, for something that supposedly prides itself on privacy it makes me suspect of the rest of their talking points

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

KnifeWrench posted:

p sure the whole point of signal is end to end encryption, and it can't do that unless both ends are using signal. so it makes sense that the user would want to know which recipients are getting encrypted messages.

I hear what you're saying about privacy, but it does make sense if you think about it

no it doesn't, it's just a push from signal to get more people to use it

there are ways of finding out if someone you know is using signal. by, like, asking them, since you clearly already have their contact information. signal doesn't need to push notifications to people who have my phone number for whatever reason to encourage them to start messaging me

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

weird take

i am not very familiar with matrix (or element, which uses it) but upon doing some googles it seems pretty cool

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zlodo posted:

literally nothing that we couldn't do right now using a centralized service

congratulations you have summed up buttcoin

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fart simpson posted:

idk, there aren’t many centralized services where it’s as easy to steal significant amounts of money with such little risk

i dunno, my uncle, a nigerian prince, told me one weird trick

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The_Franz posted:

lol coinbase is plummeting after the very brief opening spike

i'm sure it'll stabilize for a while at something but it would be loving hilarious if it just dumped

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Who's underwriting the IPO? I might need to laugh even harder.

i’m no expert but as i understand there isn’t any because they’re doing a direct listing rather than traditional ipo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

does anyone else think it's weird how many birds are on this website

whats wrong with birds

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

there's nothing wrong with birds, there's just a concerningly high number

why is it concerning, don't be bird racist

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Same Great Paste posted:

technically i think he's being speciesist. bird racist would be "wow there are sure are a lot of fuckin parrots here"

i agree but bird racist is a funnier turn of phrase, thus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

okay a third down two thirds to go

maybe you’ll get a free frosty with your possession if you try all of them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

i was really hoping this was real because I want to think jack chick had to learn what "cyberpunk culture" was before he died but no it's from stealth advertising for a short film about bobby jindal that appears to be stealthy enough that nobody realized it was actually an ad for the film

lmao

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

misread this as 11 ways to kill a chud

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I'm the marihuana

id like to get to know u better

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i use the awful app smilies in imessage all the time

the current keyboard in ios for them is awful though i dunno why they made the change

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lol i would 100% do the same

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Midjack posted:

i can't tell if this guy is taking the piss or not.

nah he's a real neuroscientist and is poking fun, he has a couple of other fun or amusing tweets

https://twitter.com/guido_meijer/status/1382231556622798850

https://twitter.com/guido_meijer/status/1339531255264763905

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

what have they done to yoshi

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Midjack posted:

can we get some dog dick coffee tables up in here

when i was ten i was with my dad when he stopped at the house of an old guy he knew

he had a big cane and handed it to me then informed me that it was made of two bulls dicks braided together and stretched out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

much in the way there’s nothing stopping anyone from committing fraud in the first place

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hammerite posted:

it just occurred to me that if that chia poo poo takes off, people will probably find ways to exploit free file storage services like dropbox and we'll all end up having to pay for that poo poo. gently caress cryptocurrencies

i'm sure it's already happening; hard drive prices in china have literally like doubled in the past month

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

hang on a sec, is a chia blockchain even up and running and processing transactions, or are people already losing their minds and bidding up hard drive prices just because Andreesen Horowitz threw some money at a goddamn whitepaper?

they've been allowed to mine, if you still call it that, since march, transaction processing is set to start on may 3rd so storage is going to get even pricier before it's all said and done. ssds and nvme drives probably the most in demand, followed by hdds in descending order of size; even 4TB disks are selling out (in asia at least) because of chia

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Eeyo posted:

from what i can tell the ssd is only useful for generating the data in the first place, so if it becomes a thing the platter drives will probably see a larger percentage increase in cost, since you’re most interested in $/TB.

ah fair the synopsis i read was stressing speed above all

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

URL grey tea posted:

grow beets not butts

porque no los dos

time for some tabata squats y’all

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

someone on local reddit came in to ask about helium mining

and someone else responded

rando posted:

I'm 600k in doge, my husband doesn't want me to invest any more crypto but I'm intrigued... I have 2 idle raspberry pie computers too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

so many obvious lols here but the big one for me is “if we call billionaires something else, there are no longer any billionaires qed”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Zlodo posted:

I mean how could if be legal for them to have access to your private network, regardless of the purpose, but especially to leech the bandwidth you're paying for

i’m not sure it is. i honestly have no idea what they expect to accomplish. why do they need someone else’s wifi????