Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

born to crash
c++ is a gently caress
13.6.1 template ‘em all p3
virtual override = 0
09999999999 dead compilers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

he's a real boer gently caress
sitting in his cyber truck
making all his stupid plans for nobody

i liked this

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Zopotantor posted:

i just gave away close to that amount to my bank to pay off a mortgage

congrats

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

...! posted:

Lost over $100k in other people's money in cryptoCredit Debt Bankruptcy(self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 days ago by starholding to /r/legaladvice

Hey, first time posting here so sorry for bad formatting or whatever.

About a month ago I learned about cryptocurrencies and saw Youtube videos of how lots of people made decent money investing. I had the "genius" idea of taking money from some friends and family and promising them a decent return on investment, with me taking a small cut. I tried trading up but only lost money slowly by the day. My Wife's father and several other family members such as cousins are now demanding their money back. Am I legally liable to pay them back? There was no signing of a contract or an actual legal agreement. It was all done verbally.

i lost money slowly by the day, by which i mean that i lost an average of well over $30K a day

edit: i am leaving this otherwise unedited to wallow in my shame at being bad at math

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 23, 2020

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

i think he's mining the bitcoins?

everyone on that plane processes receipts, but most of them just use computers. that guy insists on doing it with his own bizarre device, apparently because he sees it as a sort of religious ritual laid out by the original mr happy. because his system is so intensive, he can barely keep up with the current number of registers and is deeply opposed to allowing more, even if it drives customers to other restaurants

not the most intuitive joke

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

i saw this but have no idea how it works. “flash loans” apparently have to be literally zero-risk: the loan has to be returned in the same transaction. the shallow-market scam where you sell and hope to trigger a run so that your short pays off requires at least some reaction from other participants. so i assume this is much stupider than that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

KnifeWrench posted:

explain to me as if I were a dullard what purpose this could possibly serve

oy you loving lummox it’s for when something’s cheaper over here than it is over there. so what you do, you miserable git, is you borrow it, and you sell it over there for a lot of money, and you buy the same thing here for less money, and then you give back what you bought, so you’re all square. and even a mug like you can do all that real easy-like because the thing’s not real, and at the end of the day you’ve got some extra change you can put in your pocket, or you could if anything could get through your soft skull you absolute tosser

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

the lightning notwork is still a proof of concept that requires solutions to presently unsolved CS problems in order to work properly, right?

yeah

note that the problem is trivial if you allow some amount of ~~~centralization~~~, even just of third-party information sources. it’s specifically the requirement to only trust the nodes you’re specifically talking to that makes it intractable by known algorithms

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
when i find myself in times of fuddle
nakamato comes to me
bringing blocks of bitcoins
satoshi

and in these years of downturn there is
still a moon that i can see
shine on all my miners
satoshi

satoshi, satoshi
satoshi, satoshi
shine on all my miners
satoshi

and when the broke and mad nocoiners
crawling on the world agree
fiat's not the answer
satoshi

for though bitcoin's discounted there is
still the halving, and i believe
there will be a lambo
satoshi

satoshi, satoshi
satoshi, satoshi
there will be a lambo
satoshi

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh fuk connecticut

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, inheritance of investments is actually one of the biggest loopholes in capital-gains taxation, because the beneficiary can immediately step up the cost basis to its current value, potentially wiping out decades of gains as far as the taxman's concerned

at least that's how it works in the u.s., i'm sure it's different everywhere

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
probably she talks to the same spirit as that one npc in path of exiles

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

Apparently the guy who posted this was making a joke.

sortof. it's a reference to some normal finance guy of the tedious-but-generally-correct "young people should save more" type who made a clueless post about how those young people should seek out circles of friends that like talking about investment

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
no your the first wizard harry

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
is that from fake scots wikipedia

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
as we all well know, the way you win at three card monte is to only play the oldest game

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i bet you can buy a cruise ship for real cheap in the same way that you can buy a castle, i.e. it's an unending money sucking pit that takes a staff of dozens just to hold off the constant deterioration

the standard boat story of standing in a cold shower ripping up hundreds but under a sewer sluice and holding down the minus button on your bank account

i look forward to the story three years from now of an abandoned cruise ship drifting in and out of panama's territorial waters getting taken over by squatters

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
never been in that exact corner of woodside before

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

exactly, lol if you think a half million dollars is a lot of money, anywhere

also, seraph has notably not claimed to be buying this hypothetical co-op all-cash, so this amazing ten year crypto windfall is actually like barely six figgies

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

I'm not American, and I voted for Biden. In an internet poll about who was the second worst American presidential candidate of 2020.

typical low-information voter behavior

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don't forget to add in hoa, seraph. but this is a great time to be buying in nyc, so good for you if the money actually comes through

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
assuming the network has adjusted to the current hash rate, then if proportion p of the hashpower goes offline, blocks would be expected every 10/(1-p) minutes

so if 70% goes offline, the expected time between blocks just goes up to 33 minutes. slow, but whatever, and you’ll get a correction in about three weeks

even if 99% went offline, it’d be 1000 minutes, i.e. about 17 hours. so it’d take like two years to reach the next correction. that would be frisbee on the roof, maybe? except of course in that case the remaining community would just agree to manually change the difficulty. that further undermines the idea that code is law but nobody really believes that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i mean that's the basic idea behind all full disk encryption unless it has a backdoor. you're supposed to back that poo poo up, just to guard against disk failure if nothing else

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
no there's also a new guy who's just from cspam

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh yes and there's whatever the hell eoraymel's experiments are, which are really the main highlight of the forums these days

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

He died as he lived

Ignoring government regulation

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s hilarious to me that a language like solidity with built-in reasonable semantics for exceptions doesn’t make overflow throw

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
grimes absolutely has a claim on a significant amount of elon's money and if he thinks not marrying her is somehow preventing that then he is in for a big surprise

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the infrastructure bill as of monday last week

section 80603 of the act (meaning section 3 of title vi of division h — it's a big bill, but not 80,000 sections big), starting on page 2433 of that pdf, changes the us revenue code as follows:

• it amends the definition of "broker" to include "any person who (for consideration) is responsible for regularly providing any service effectuating transfers of digital assets on behalf of another person", which basically means that crypto exchanges would now be brokers;
  • it amends the definition of "security" in the section on brokerage reporting to include "any digital asset", defined as "any digital representation of value which is recorded on a cryptographically secured distributed ledger or any similar technology as specified by the Secretary [of the treasury]", which basically means that brokers would have to report sales, purchases, and exchanges of digital assets to both account holders and the irs, like stock brokers do on a 1099;
  • it imposes a new requirement to report, for "any transfer (which is not part of a sale or exchange executed by such broker) during a calendar year of a covered security which is a digital asset from an account maintained by such broker to an account which is not maintained by, or an address not associated with, a person that such broker knows or has reason to know is also a broker, [...] the information otherwise required to be furnished with respect to transfers subject to [the previous subsection about sales and exchanges]", which basically means that brokers would also have to report transfers of digital assets out of the brokerage accounts; and
  • it amends the law (26 USC 6050I) that requires cash transactions of more than $10,000 to be reported to also apply to digital assets, the same as it applies to foreign currencies and other monetary instruments.

all of this would be effective as of january 1st, 2023 (or for tax returns, tax year 2023)

the cryptocurrency idiots are having a hissy-fit claiming that this applies to a ton of people who have zero ability to provide this information, like miners and wallet software makers. some knowledgeable people say that this is basically nonsense and that anyway the treasury department wouldn't interpret it that way. regardless, there isn't any real harm in clarifying the law, so there's been a push to amend it before it gets voted on. there was a lot of disagreement about what exactly to do, and there were two competing amendments for awhile, but in the end it came down to one compromise amendment that clarified that it doesn't apply to mere "validators". that amendment was voted on today, but because (i think) the bill was already on the senate floor, amendments require unanimous consent, and a republican senator from alabama objected because he's an idiot who wants the overall bill to spend more on the military. so now the bill doesn't have that amendment, so they'll either have to fix it in reconciliation or fix it with a separate bill or just let it happen with all of its supposed chilling effects

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 10, 2021

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

a lot of the wailing and gnashing of teeth seems to be around a reading of the law that assumes every single network node is a money transmitter which seems wrong to me but IDK I'm not a treasury secretary

i'm not sure. the clear intent of congress is just to apply this to exchanges, and regulators will probably follow that intent for at least a while and not try to impose these requirements on anyone else. but if regulators wanted to read it expansively? the definition is "any person who (for consideration) is responsible for regularly providing any service effectuating transfers of digital assets on behalf of another person". i think wallet makers clearly aren't covered by that because they don't themselves provide an actively-involved service. i think people running nodes that just passively validate the blockchain clearly aren't covered by that because they don't themselves effectuate the transfer. but if you run a node that propagates someone else's transactions to miners, or if you mine a block with someone else's transactions, or if you're a lightning network middleman that connects other people, then i dunno, i think you might be providing a service that effectuates transfers of digital assets on behalf of other people

it's not like the present technical impossibility of satisfying these reporting requirements is some sort of legal defense against the charge of failing to satisfy them. if e-trade had a policy of setting its trading records on fire as soon as they settled, it would be technically impossible for them to satisfy reporting requirements, but that wouldn't give them a free pass: their policies would be willfully putting them in massive non-compliance with regulations, and they would be vulnerable to major civil and even criminal penalties

if congress just wants to establish roughly the current cash/securities regulatory regime for crypto then they should probably define "broker" more narrowly, maybe based around providing accounts denominated in digital assets or something like that

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

the funny thing about ntfsers is that in order to get their precious $100k jpg as their twitter avatar or get it printed on a hoodie they themselves had to at one point right click and save it:thunk:

the really funny thing about nfters is that printing their $100k jpg on a hoodie is probably illegal. owning the nft almost certainly does not give them a broader license to the art than anyone else, and that’s assuming the nft is actually authorized by the copyright owner

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i guess adams isn’t aware that crypto companies basically cannot have a presence in new york without getting the gently caress sued out of them by the state

i mean they’d be fine if they were wholly legitimate and responsible corporate citizens

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
someone from prudential or raymond james or chase private client or whatever will absolutely reach out and try to set up a wealth management account for you if they hear you have half a million dollars in assets lying around, which is the set up for this particular story. it doesn't have to mean a hedge fund with a ten million dollar minimum investment. but i know that having the exact same henry conversation every few days is a lot of fun, so by all means carry on

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
that one episode of black mirror with the exercise bikes, but with bitcoin (instead of socialcreditcoin)

i love the thought process, though. surely my weird human internal chemical plant can produce energy that can be converted to electricity more cost-effectively than the power company, and then surely nobody has realized that after using electricity to mine bitcoin you can sell the bitcoin for real money, meaning that the margins on this endeavor must be so high that a single person can live on the profits of even a trickle of mining power

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

coelomate posted:

I've hated crypto since I learned about it in 2011, but am curious about the inner workings of smart contracts.

How cursed would it be to build something in a system I have seething contempt for?

i think there’s a test net you can use, or you could probably spin one up yourself easily enough. or there’s presumably some test harness you can use to test a contract without actually submitting any real transactions

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
the apes seem to at least be real art. there’s a common form, yeah, but someone actually comes up with ideas and draws them. a lot of the imitators (that aren’t just outright stealing art) are just randomized stock art paper doll poo poo

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

That one that got stolen might seem to be more unique but it's actually a mutant ape, where they do the same thing but instead of different hats and clothes its different horrible skin malformities

yeah, so these all seem to involve an actual artist taking the common baseline and doing something fairly substantial that’s unique to that image. (other than the duplicate pair ofc.) none of the drawings in the first set were at all individually interesting, but i actually quite like some of these “mutant” ones, like the first and the fourth. not enough to overcome my negative interest in getting involved with nfts, but still. anyway, my point is just that they’re not stock art or picrew combinatorics

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

lih posted:

even in that set of seven you can see a bunch have the same melted face, and two have the same red & black rocks skin, and two have the same weird glasses with mouths

the face is excusable in some sense, but yeah, alright, somehow last night i didn’t notice the reused skin / glasses / hat. so still not stock art, but they’re definitely doing picrew-ish stuff to churn out more

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Boxturret posted:

the thing to remember with the monkeys is that they're all released in sets of 10,000, so there is no way that they're all being individually drawn

oh poo poo, i had no idea they were this big. man, coiners really don’t understand scarcity, film at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
to the left, it’s the number of buy orders, cumulatively, between that price and the spot price

to the right, it’s the number of sell orders, cumulatively, between that price and the spot price

a big vertical climb at a number is called a wall because it looks like a wall, and it represents a lot of people theoretically offering to buy/sell at that price