Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

mmhm yes the one thing we want from youtube is even less content moderation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

was the rest of the post about them committing fraud because who the hell is letting anyone get into that much debt?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Basing an economy on who ever is able to waste the most electricity certainly is a great idea with no possible down sides

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i am certain that african countries consider completely digitising their health records to be a "no cost" solution

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

if there's one thing organic farming loves it's salty sea air

looking forward to taking a walk through the floating orchards that provide the fruit for their juice bar

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

orange juche posted:

Aw poo poo, poor kitty, what kind of hosed up monster would name a cat Bitcoin?

i think we can say without a doubt that being put up for adoption is good for Bitcoin

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

loving that red text

you've been calling bitcoin a bubble, meanwhile it's been rapidly rising in price due to speculative investment! how foolish of you!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The Cryptotroll posted:

Who else wants a Bitcoin avatar? Come forward! Prove to me that you're worthy of my mockery!!

you've invested in bitcoin because you thought the price was going to go up, it did go up, you made a bunch of money from it because you sold it to a bunch of other people who thought it would go up even further.

congrats on recognising a bubble and profiting from it. i don't understand why the term "bubble" offends you so much - it's exactly how you're treating it and exactly why you made money from it.

why get so upset about the word?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

then why do you cower away when the price is crashing but register 6000 accounts when it's spiking? the main feature of a bubble is the only reason people invest in it is because they think the price will go up. you only post when you can say "see!! the price is going up!!!" and you buy redtext that says nothing besides "you're dumb because the price went up".

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ok, well, prediction time. you predict the current bitcoin bubble will never pop, i predict you won't make a single post when it does. see you then

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

it's one guy registering over and over

you don't need to look at bitcoin price charts to know what's happening, if he's posting then that means bitcoin is up, if the thread is good then it's going down.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

can anyone recommend me a bank that will let me withdraw cash without having to tell them who i am?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

what the gently caress is happening

is this what happens when an american hates how america works but is completely unaware that other countries exist?

just theorise an alternative political system from scratch with your galaxy brain since there are no real world examples for you to look at

anarchism, that must be the answer for i can think of nothing else

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

if only we had hundreds of years of history in which people had tried loads of different poo poo, hosed it up and learnt lots of lessons

oh well. guess we should invent it all from scratch

i can see why xtal likes bitcoin

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

xtal posted:

That might be why you think this way. Using bitcoin instead of credit cards is a form of consumer protection.

please protect me from being able to perform charge backs if my card gets stolen, i am so very scared

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i'd love to know his logic for putting it on a disk that'll scramble the data if someone attempts to unlock it. it's like having a burglar alarm that burns your house down when it goes off

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 12, 2021

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Midjack posted:

there’s a really weak deterrence effect with “go ahead and steal it but it won’t do you any good,” but you have to advertise that’s how it works or it gets taken anyway. there’s a somewhat larger deterrent with a booby trap but unless you want to injure or kill people for kicks you have to advertise that too or you’ll still get takers.

people don't generally break into people's houses stealing random hard drives so i can't imagine what scenario this guy thought he was protecting against. if you really think someone's going to be coming for your bitcoins, why would you stick it on a self destructing disk with "bitcoins!" written on the side of it rather than like, literally anything more obscure?

so funny that it's basically just a gently caress you to the only person who would ever be trying to get access to the coins without the password - himself.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

screaming "look at me!! i have some money!!" seems like something a rather insecure person would feel compelled to do.

i'm glad you've worked out the only good thing bitcoins can be used for - selling to a bigger idiot who thinks they'll keep going up. it is fortunate that the pool of these idiots has not yet run out and that you're getting actual, usable money out of the bubble before it bursts.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

xtal posted:

It isn't income, it's a capital gain. For people who love taxes so much, there doesn't seem to be a lot of understanding it here.

What? Being paid $40,000 in bitcoins for making a video isn't capital gain what are you on about.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i think it's unfair to measure the value of bitcoin in dollars. it really should be measured in USDT at this point.

and the value of USDT should be measured in bitcoin.

it would clarify the situation very neatly.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

the irony is that if everyone knew exactly how to make money from bitcoin, nobody would make money from bitcoin. for every person who makes 10x the money they put in, 9 people lose everything.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SYSV Fanfic posted:

https://twitter.com/danheld/status/1352667338374451200

Did this guy just say the quiet part out loud? That people would exchange bitcoin for tether even if they were "worthless"?

is this guy really called dan held

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

what is it with him and using rapid price rises as evidence that it's not a bubble?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

is tesla going to start paying their employees, suppliers and shareholders in bitcoin or is every tesla purchase going to result in tesla selling a bunch of bitcoins for actual dollars?

a constant downward pressure on the price of bitcoin must surely be good for bitcoin

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Wouldn't Tether imploding push up the price of Bitcorn even more? With everyone panic selling their Tethers? Of course, after that, they could no longer pump up the price. But the immediate consequence would seem to be the opposite to me.

70-80% of all bitcoin purchases are done with tether, so such a huge drop in people buying bitcoin will lead to a big drop in price. some people will panic sell as a result, and every time that has happened the tether printer has gone and propped the price up again - but that won't happen this time so the drop will be far worse.

that may be offset by people trying to panic sell tethers... but who is going to be buying them? how much will they be willing to pay, considering there's no obvious way for them to turn them into currency?

people panic selling tethers for $0.01 each aren't going to exert much upwards pressure on the market, and the impact of everyone panic selling bitcoin when they realised that almost all the people "buying" it were doing so with worthless funbucks will be very large indeed

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

Coinbase has their own stable coin all ready to replace Tether so the dream of a sudden collapse causing butts to go to zero looks unlikely to me :smith:

their stablecoin is legit though so it's just the same as any other currency. unless coinbase decide to start offering their stablecoin in a 1:1 ratio with tethers when everyone else stops buying them, i don't think it'll matter.

the issue isn't with the concept of stablecoins, it's with tether due to the fact that the coin is backed by a fraction of its face value and accounts for the majority of bitcoin purchases.

bitcoin doesn't need a stablecoin to maintain its current pricing - it needs someone spawning billions of "dollars" out of thin air every month and spending it on bitcoin.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

well, at least it's considerably more legit seeming than tether which is just literal "not even trying to hide it" nonsense, printing perfect blocks of $200,000,000 when ever they feel like it.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I too am desperate to convince a forum filled with strangers about this thing being good.

It is not a sign of my enormous insecurity, no, it is a perfectly normal thing to do.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

if you guys just give me money i'll be really loving rich.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

jre posted:

The whole nft thing is so stupid I think it's actually broken my brain

all tech is really trying to out do previous bubbles for sheer stupidity this time around

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i hope someone starts replying to all these tweets trying to promote NFTs with that @tokenizedtweets thing. especially the ones with random art in them.

"no! not like that!"

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

so what's the chance that this beeple guy is related to this NFT "fund" in some way where he keeps a cut of the money but they don't actually have to pay him the full amount?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

divabot posted:

he is. the guy's been buying up Beeple stuff for a while now. also, the buyer paid in ether rather than money.

as is usual in crypto, the money only recirculates. $9m to Christie's is a minor promotional cost.

seems like some of the breathless reporting of this would benefit from pointing this out but it's all just "wow i can't believe someone paid that much maybe this is the next big thing?" when the slightest investigation reveals it as a marketing stunt

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

wow who would have thought that something related to crypto would be rife with fraud and everyone's poo poo getting stolen what an unprecedented turn of events.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

i guess he was checking the verification logo so hard he didn't have a chance to look at any other part of the message

does twitter shadow ban people with the username "elon musk"? or auto ban accounts when they change their name to that?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

i seem to remember they did that for like a day when bots got particularly bad, and then presumably stopped for some reason. but if you look closely you can see the name isn't elon musk it's "E l o ṉ M u s ḵ" which is literally impossible for twitter's advanced anti-scam AI to read

yeah, i noticed that (pretty hard to see how someone could "study the check mark" and not notice it) - i was just wondering why they had to do that. if i changed my twitter name to an "elon musk" pun will i just instantly eat a ban? it's the sort of thing you'd see trying to bypass email spam filters but i wonder how they're policing people's usernames like that. i thought maybe they'd have swapped the "L" for a capital "I" but it looks like they had to go to a lot of trouble to bypass whatever filter twitter presumably has.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 16, 2021

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

it is common knowledge that a blue check mark makes it impossible for you to post false information

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Grace Baiting posted:

like from a butt? a butt...token if you will??

non fartable tokens.... yes i think we're onto something here....

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

repiv posted:

Crypto/NFT poster child Beeple immediately cashed out all of his ETH to USD and admitted NFTs are a bubble lmao

https://twitter.com/KennethDredd/status/1374683464998350854

later nerds thanks for the $50mil

this guy's art seems pretty cool and it's nice to see he's also not a moron. good for him for walking away with $50 mil of some crypto idiot's money - i'd do the same if i had any talent at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

quote:

Was it a glitch? A hack? Did Kuennen perhaps misunderstand how, exactly, NFTs work and how they’re stored? You can’t blame him

let me stop you right there...