Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh there's a new bitcoin thread, good

i found this dude i would like to share with y'all. he was the topic of an awful link of the day waaay back in 2008 which is how I found him. he's still there, still making boring-rear end christian comics, but with bitcoin!

https://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/

quote:

Easy Computer Living is rare digital art on MakersPlace by Joe Chiappetta.

I set out to draw a comic that is fun, retro-stylish, semi-smart, yet also with powerful hidden depths. Let’s thrown in some social commentary, and irony too. So join me in a grand toast to easy computer living!

POWERFUL HIDDEN DEPTHS

he also makes... whatever the hell this is:

and of course he goes on long rants about how it would be great if people combined blockchain, videogames and art (as in, his art, only art that has been approved to comply with "FCC moral standards")

quote:

Soon it will not be enough to just collect art, or view art. The rising population of digitally native people will want to experience new adventures with their favorite art. Games can provide the perfect vehicle for such art. Imagine a virtual game where collectors shoot at each other's avatars while holding defensive shields that take the form of particular pieces of their art collection. Perhaps the art remains digitally scarred for a week before reverting back to its original appearance. The winner of the game could receive new rare digital art from an artist. Or perhaps the winner could receive a piece of the defeated collector's art.

Or imagine a virtual 3-D world where you--as an avatar--walk through digital galleries that display art on virtual walls that prompt you to discover new art by solving mysteries or riddles. All sorts of gamified incentives can be coded into this realm. Perhaps the more artwork of other artists that you share about on social media, the more points you receive that can be traded in for new artworks. Another option is that members of this 3-D virtual art world can earn new gallery wall space to exhibit their own collections as they complete certain online games or tasks.

As you can quickly see, such experiences are well-suited for building memorable interactions, and they are exactly what is needed to keep art more relevant as a highly valued item in our fast-paced, attention-competitive society. Therefore to the galleries, curators, artists, and collectors, I pose this question as a challenge;
To build a more vibrant future, how will you gamify your corner of the art world today?

gently caress that last loving line :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

there's also this one that's basically him explaining that his stupid digital rare art marketplace of choice is down and that's fine and normal and you should just be happy and accept it:

https://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/2019/10/cryptoart-shrugged-blockchain-delay-strategy.html

quote:

Remember also some related facts of development.
  • The Internet was quite fragmented at its inception. In fact, many sites only worked in certain browsers. Many computers did not even have a web browser. The first web browser was created in 1990, yet it took at least 8 years before the Web Standards Project started to push for the Internet to have clear standards for web browsers.
  • While Bitcoin went live in 2009, it took another 6 years before anyone could issue rare digital art on top of Bitcoin (through Counterparty).
  • With Ethereum launching in 2015, it was not until over 2 years later that anyone could issue rare digital art through Ethereum.
  • Launched in 2018 as a faster blockchain with no transaction fees (unlike Bitcoin and Ethereum), major rare digital art markets on the EOS blockchain (such as pixEOS) will not go live until the later portion of 2019.

With these things in mind, the "urgent" feeling of disappointment or even frustration when delays bump through new technologies are--in most cases--not cause for alarm at all. It's all relative, and just a normal part of the development process. In other words, that's life; shrug it off.

sure this sucks, but consider this: these other things suck too :smug:

luckily he lists several things you can do while you wait for it to come back up:

quote:

Rare Digital Art Downtime Game Plan
  • Think of more relevant tags and text to add to your existing artwork.
  • Re-share previously released, yet unsold art on social media.
  • Look around the web to see if this art would be good as a new submission for a contest or exhibition (which could get you extra publicity).
  • Let existing collectors know from you by direct message that you will soon be coming out with a new piece, and you can give them an exclusive preview.
  • Write a full article on your blog where your newly released artwork will serve as the main illustration, thus giving the artwork a wider potential audience.
  • Add that design to a merchandising site so fans can order it on t-shirts, phone cases, and more.
  • Review and revise pricing on your previously released unsold artworks.
  • Ask a colleague to post a review of your existing work.
  • Catch up on the necessary accounting work associated with your businesses so it does not all pile up.
  • Study what people who are more successful than you are doing.
  • Become a rare digital art collector.
  • Make related art, thus creating a cohesive series.
As anyone can imagine, the list of useful, professional, and forward-moving tasks that can be done during unexpected delays are quite involved and productive, in-and-of themselves. More could easily be added to this list as well. Those in the crypto-art field long enough know too well that a strategy to manage blockchain delays is simply a good thing to have.

my favorite is "study what people who are more successful than you are doing" :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also poetry, i guess???

https://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/2019/07/blind-demon-of-crypto-art.html

quote:

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art
The Blind Demon of Crypto Art wants to be worshiped.
He wants you to think that you need to be worshiped too.
He wants you to think that crypto art will solve most of the world's problems.

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art wants you to make blockchain your new religion.
He wants you to think that cryptocurrency leaders are uniquely qualified to save the world.
He wants you to think that economic revolution will happen any minute now.

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art is very attractive and entirely compelling.
He goes by many names, including Art on the Blockchain Demon, Rare Digital Art Demon, Digital Goods Demon, Non-Fungible Token Demon, Tokenized Art Demon, Crypto-Collectible Demon, Rare Digital Assets Demon, Blockchain Art Demon; the list goes on.
Yet regardless of the remarkable innovation this creature so boldly associates himself with, never forget; he is a demon.

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art wants you to think that your art will last forever.
He wants every crypto artist to believe that collectors will gladly buy most of their creations.
He wants you to think that cryptocurrency will last forever.

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art wants you to think the market is not flooded.
He wants you to live for art and not the demands of responsible reality.
He wants you to check the prices of cryptocurrency at least twice a day--every day.

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art wants you to think that Internet acquaintances love you deeply.
He wants you to serve cryptocurrency and art with equal passion.
He wants you to only be happy if a collector buys your rare digital art.

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art wants you to love cryptocurrency and art instead of loving people.
He wants to be your closest relationship.
He wants you to sell your soul, and he gladly takes payment in all all kinds of crypto.

The Blind Demon of Crypto Art is wrong.
He is not your friend.
He is your enemy.

i'm the Non-Fungible Token Demon

e:

quote:

The Short, Blunt Answer: What Do I Own When I Buy Rare Digital Art?

It's nothing you can touch.
Your purchase helps fuel a crypto crazy creative market ecosystem.
You bought into a crazy risk with the potential for crazy rewards that can just as easily drop to zero in value or go sky high.
You own cryptocurrency with a pretty face.
A unique crypto token is what you own; the art is what you see.

"it's nothing"

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 14, 2019

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Kins posted:

this looks like some 90s cd-rom multimedia experience

yeah one thing i noticed is he did that dad thing where he stopped trying or advancing as a person and froze in time the second he got married, and he got married in the 90's so all his art is either banal comics about family life or stuff that has a very distinct weird 90's aesthetic to it. i almost kinda like that about it tbh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I am definitely the minecraft king in full armour.

it's actually this blockchain art program he's really enthusiastic about where you have to buy each individual pixel with cryptocurrency so every image is as minimalist and blocky as it can possibly be

truly the future of art

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CampingCarl posted:

this actually sort of makes more sense than the actual blockchain art places he is on.

its DRM where the artist can create a limited number authorized copies of an art. this is of course unenforceable, doesnt need to be a blockchain, and doesnt gain the artist anything for use of the image. the whole thing is 'its rare so it must be valuable' but doesnt say why the artist cant just release more copies, a buyer releasing copies, or someone else relisting the image.

he made the mistake of saying the thing you're not supposed to say where he explains you're just buying cryptocurrency with a link to the jpg embedded in it, not the actual picture

his site seems to both love and hate all this, it's very weird

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

the difference with Bitcoin vs other man made social/religious constructs is that it is impervious to the whims and prejudices of any single or group of individuals... Bitcoiners have to follow the letter of the Bitcoin law...

except that one time when people changed it

or that other time that happened

or that hard fork

or

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a traitorous confederate-themed challenge coin is both a hilariously insane object for a us military member fetishizer to own and yet also makes perfect sense

kinda makes me wanna get an ISIS-themed one made in the same spirit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the only isis-themed challenge coins i can find are the predictable KILL AND MURDER THE ISIS PEOPLE OFFICIAL COIN ones but i did find out that isis minted their own currency for a while which seems perfectly sized for this use:

i also found this one which is very confusing

and this one which shows your militaristic support for your favorite... brand i guess?

also after scrolling down a few pages of google image results for "isis challenge coin" a picture of bitcoins came up, bringing the whole thing full circle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

communist challenge coin is a sock full of quarters

according to gis this is communist challenge coin

because the chinese algorithm that drives the factory that's manufacturing these got confused i guess

e: lmao once again "communist challenge coin" eventually just winds up returning pictures of bitcoins after a little while

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the first bitcoin picture returned by "communist challenge coin" lead to this not at all fake news article about how wonderful bitcoin ox is and how you should be using it

https://newconomy.media/news/bitcoin-ox-will-transform-coin-trading

quote:

Bitcoin Ox offers great security for an online wallet. Since launch, there have been no reports of security breaches and this is likely to be the case for good. In the world of crypto wallets, there is no two ways of going about it. A vulnerable wallet is simply a sitting duck with lethal hackers and thieves picking their shots. In this sense, it is paramount to have a wallet that prioritizes security. With this, a user can actually get to worry about their next investment rather than the safety of their assets.

The wallet offers remarkable ease of use. Besides, it comes complete with fiat currency conversion rates saving you time. The ability to convert coin into fiat is an underrated aspect of asset management. This is actually pretty high on the interests of a lot of users because the best solutions a lot of times turn out to be some of the simplest.

wow i sure am glad this online wallet comes with no reports of security breaches and safety from lethal hackers

quote:

The wallet is also excellent for asset management. This is because of a unique tailor-made algorithm that makes Bitcoin OX uniquely efficient for the trading process. These algorithms provide reliable information that enables a user to predict changes in market trends more accurately. As such, users have at their disposal a trade hack that is unique to this wallet. This is one feature that you can legitimately say enhances your trading capabilities. Soon, users will be able to export their transaction history and import Electrum standard seed.

"trade hack"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the website for bitcoin ox has a seo-scam blog with some fun insights:

quote:

The opinion of the creator of C++
First of all, Bjarne Stroustrup announced different insights of the language, new ways of development, and types of using. Moreover, he was proud of products and founders using it. Unfortunately, not everything is perfect. Stroustrup said about pity moments. For instance, he believed in damage and disadvantages of implementing C++ in operations which were not born for it. So, he was sad due to Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin, preferred this programming language for Bitcoin`s code and for mining operations. Bjarne Stroustrup added the speech. “When you build a tool, you do not know how it’s going to be used. You try to improve the tool by looking at how it’s being used and when people cut their fingers off to try and stop that from happening, but really, you have no control over how something is used.”

One of the main problems is using a lot of electricity. To tell the truth, too much. “I’m very happy and proud of some of the things C++ is being used at and some other things I wish people wouldn’t do, Bitcoin mining being my favorite example — it uses as much energy as Switzerland and mostly serves criminals” — noticed Stroustrup after all.

In addition, many other leaders agree with this statement. Nowadays, when we fight against pollutions and spending resources, it is awful to move like mining companies. Obviously, the one right solution is imagine how crypto players can cut their expenses.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Vomik posted:

hell tbh that would make me feel more comfortable with the world rather than actual people who have become so divorced from humanity they just freely kill and torture being the culprits

i bet the kind of people who believe in black helicopter conspiracies are the kind of people who think gitmo is cool and good because we're The Good Guys

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

orange juche posted:

I have to wonder if anyone falls for these (random rear end russian bots tweeting out "bitcoin giveaways")

yes, constantly

like every week it seems like

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah i think musk worship might be a bigger factor here, remember that one journalist who got tricked into reporting that "strangely, musk stopped to offer a bitcoin giveaway later that day!"

why would elong musk lie to me, he's real life iron man!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Gazpacho posted:

Link/image?

took a bit cuz it's way back but it was when musk was trying to get those trapped children to admire his long rigid tube, and then he called that diver a pedophile:

it's from this article, but it's been removed by now of course:

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/2018/07/elon-musk-apologises-for-labelling-cave-rescue-diver-a-pedo.amp.html

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

to be clear i don't think this particular reporter is even all that enamored with musk, there's just something about that loving rear end in a top hat that makes people turn off all critical thinking

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

look it can't be a scam, i made small deposits to check and they worked!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

maybe they went out of business because of the insufferable branding rather than the bitcoins, it's impossible to tell

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm the youtube channel that hires staff

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

klafbang posted:

A redditor also had opinions about this when I was looking for the image:

We've been mis-characterizing the dog dick coffee table for all these years…

hash tag not all furs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lmao i forgot how oblivious that dude was

https://twitter.com/Rassah/status/336134854116798465

i used my global warming coins to buy a dog cacomistle-dick coffee table, what have you done to make the world a better place huh rear end in a top hat :smug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also it's great that the website he made at the url whyisntbitcoinworthless.com is no longer there and just redirects to some definitely not a scam site where the number one story was just updated 15 seconds ago no matter how many times I refresh the page and it's called "Best Bitcoin Stocks You Can Buy and Hold in 2019-20"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

:thunk:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.cryptotapas.com/let-us-prepare-your-crypto-tax-returns/

fill out this simple form and you might be able to have the anonymous blog authors... do your taxes for you?

also

what even is this place :psyduck:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i thought to myself just now "there can't possibly still be people who reply to every single one of sarah jeong's tweets calling her a racist against white people right" and then realized how stupid and naive i am

https://twitter.com/LifeIsComedy1/status/1211608170537345024

of course there is :allears:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm not actually sure how bail collateral works, does that mean the sister and parents' houses are together valued at over a million dollars? if so i think they'll be fine

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

probably

i think in 2008 or 2012 there was a woman who thought it was ok for parents to sell their children into prostitution

look timmy hasn't been pulling his weight re: the dishes, how else am i going to extract value from him

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzxdVsp5QSw

god dammit dave go back to talking about $500,000 oscilloscopes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

by model he means a model train he wrote BITCOINS on

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the most pleasurable kevin popped up in the security thread so i asked how his bitcoin job went

PleasureKevin posted:

I haven't talked about it cause I wanted to sue. After pulling my rear end out of depression (have I?), I called around and they all wanted money just to talk about the situation. I finally just reported them to immigration authorities for human trafficking. Have not heard back.

:shepface:

stay safe pleasure ghost

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ymgve posted:

oh so the "trafficked" person was himself

hard to know with bitcoiners, could have been someone trying to build a pimp-erium with cryptocoins

at least himself, they probably had other people shipped in too

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm frob | flux

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

Perhaps the past will offer some clue to Musk's latest musings. Back in April, he said, "Cryptocurrency is my safe word." And yet, he felt it necessary to follow it up—adding that Bitcoin is not his safe word. Musk is clearly a man of mystery, playing some cryptic game on another dimension.

or he's an idiot trying desperately to be liked by people he doesn't understand

it's impossible to tell

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

musk is basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ainyK6fXku0

specifically this shatner version of the song

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gosh if only drug addicts knew facts about drugs they might not die, thank god honorable fact-based medical reporting on silk road dot com existed to save people

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

blugu64 posted:

inmates can use twitter?

spoiler alert: it's his mom roleplaying as him

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

Lost over $100k in other people's money in cryptoCredit Debt Bankruptcy(self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 days ago by starholding to /r/legaladvice

Hey, first time posting here so sorry for bad formatting or whatever.

About a month ago I learned about cryptocurrencies and saw Youtube videos of how lots of people made decent money investing. I had the "genius" idea of taking money from some friends and family and promising them a decent return on investment, with me taking a small cut. I tried trading up but only lost money slowly by the day. My Wife's father and several other family members such as cousins are now demanding their money back. Am I legally liable to pay them back? There was no signing of a contract or an actual legal agreement. It was all done verbally.

about a month ago i learned about cryptocurrencies, yadda yadda yadda, anyway reddit do i have to pay my inlaws' life savings back?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so many of these people think that power plants are just operating at 100% all the fuckin' time and all the extra power is just vented up the smokestacks or something, where does this stupid idea keep coming from

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kw0134 posted:

how do I get in on the nocoiner cabal, is there an application process or what

i was hoping you could just buy some nocoins but when i look it up all i get are extensions to block browser crypto miners