Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

junan_paalla posted:

ethereum... unusable

but you repeat yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

There's also the issue that if you do a 51% attack on a proof of stake coin than you will obliterate the value the coin has. No one will be willing to trade that coin for real world cash because the attacker could reverse any transaction, double spend coins, and do anything they feel like. It makes the billions of dollars you have to invest in getting that 51% stake vanish in an instant. And unlike a proof-of-work coin, where you could turn those video cards over to mine a different coin, your now worthless coin can't be used for anything.

What would likely happen is someone would fork the chain from right before the attack, with the fork treating all the coins the attacker held as invalid, and move on. The attacker would have accomplished nothing but burning billions of their own money and causing a fork and the loss of a few hundred transactions that were taking place during that fork.

i thought this was supposed to be completely trustless???? was i wrong?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

SporkOfTruth posted:

anyone got a definitive takedown of why proof of stake is still loving stupid? I have too many friends morphing into bazingas over this poo poo

the people with the most money say your butts belong to them now.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

either that or they think that making a coin must be so hard and complicated that you have to be super smart and think about it really hard for a long time before doing it

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1393749019478970368

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

yeah but I don’t see “on a computer” anywhere in there

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

epitaph posted:

https://venturebeat.com/2022/01/12/gamers-are-ready-for-nfts-whether-they-know-it-or-not/

quote:

But you can’t “right-click” a utility NFT stored in a wallet. That NFT’s information will stay there for the user to admire and remember, and/or until a future project uses its data.

the whole thing goes on forever and ever about this pie-in-the-sky poo poo while still failing to explain why the ~blockchain~ is necessary for these things

also, play-to-earn is the very definition of a bullshit job

I don't pretend to know anything about blockchain bullshit, but if its anything like any other merkle tree, you could just like download the blockchain and all the jpegs would be right there

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

infernal machines posted:

it depends on the implementation but generally the assets are hosted elsewhere, the data on the chain is just a json reference to the external host

yes, it is exactly as stupid as that sounds

yeah, the part im confused about is the jpegs being in the wallet. you don't transfer the contents of wallets. :confused:
i assume they meant the jpegs would be on the chain

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

i really shouldn't assume any of these breathless bitcoin sponsored listicles have any loving clue what they're talking about either

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

quote:

blockchain encryption

:confused:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

so as we are all aware crypto is so very trustless
but is there any possibility of connecting your wallet to twitter leading to hilarious outcomes?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I was wondering this with the twitter NFT avatars, since you have to connect your wallet to twitter.

what is the mechanism that connection happens? Are you having to trust twitter won't steal your wallet? Could they or somebody else steal your nfts through it?

I'm sure the answer will be yes, but just wanting confirmation.

e: as far as i know a bitcoin wallet is just a private key, and if you're giving your private key to twitter then.... :shrug:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/tiktokinvestors/status/1485856160989155333?s=21

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

jisforjosh posted:

Don't sleep on the replies lol

I wish I had, op

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

and according to this 2019 story about it, they've already switched to proof of stake!

we'll look back at this in 10 years from our climate shattered world, the etherium mining farms still running on millions of consumer graphics cards and wonder where it all went went wrong

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

njsykora posted:

so buzzfeed ran an article about the apes and the founders are saying the article doxxed them even though their names are public record as company founders, they’ve done interviews about their bullshit and the company confirmed who they were
https://twitter.com/robertgreeve/status/1490482689446719492?s=21

also found one of the people who drew the original apes, who was apparently never told what the art was actually for
https://twitter.com/robertgreeve/status/1490482696572833792?s=21

her twitter is all shilling NFTs now so it’s hard to feel sorry for her

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

imagine paying $750 and all you get are jpegs

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

didn't click but it looks like poo poo op

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

once you've stolen all the beans how are you turning that back into real bux? are there people who would still be in the market to buy the beans?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah wake me up when it falls under .98

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

https://rarecandy.io/collections/slurp-juice

the minimum price of 1.67 bsv translates to $100 realmonies

e: i still can't figure out the identity of "lab monkes" and "special forces". they seem to be subsets of astro apes but there is no indicator for them on the nft marketplace so who knows

trap sprung

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

had the misfortune to get into it with some little crypto freak and he came so close to having a realization. he perfectly describes git without knowing it.

quote:

Imagine if you had a Git repo that everyone could access and everyone could push commits to and hundreds of thousands of systems around the world all independently validated that every single commit was legit and that the chain as a whole was valid and that the whole timeline going back to inception was replayable commit to commit all the way till now. Now add in that it is redundantly stored in tens of thousands of places and would take shutting down all of them to disable it. That’s an immutable blockchain.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

seeing a bunch of idiots trying to resurrect terra/luna by "burning" it.
are people really falling for this?

1 buy my worthless tokens from me with real money
2 send the tokens to /dev/null
3 ???
4 profit?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if someone posts "my red FooCorp bicycle was stolen" and then you later buy a red foocorp bike on craigslist, you don't know for sure whether it was actually the stolen one or just a normal secondhand bike. if it later turns out that it was the stolen bike, that could have just been an honest mistake.

if seth green posts "i've been hacked, all my apes gone", and then you buy an ape whose blockchain transaction history shows it leaving seth green's wallet, you are undeniably buying stolen property.

who’s to say Seth Green didn’t sell the ape himself and lied about it online? does the blockchain show that?

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

just found out the guy who started homebrew got big into crypto and is doing a web3 version of that where I guess open source developers get paid in krugerands that are worth money… somehow.

I read into a bit and it sounds like you’re just granted tea coins from whole cloth the more your package is used or the more other packages depend on yours etc. these don’t apparently come from users putting money into the system. I’m sure somebody somewhere will buy these coins from the developers though because

https://tea.xyz

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Is this the same guy who bombed his Google interview, and then wrote a really salty blog post about how Google should've just offer him a job because he wrote a popular Mac tool?

lol i forgot about this, but yes

https://twitter.com/mxcl/status/608682016205344768?s=20&t=3spzR3Pr_mQo3TkeI39AqA

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Paladinus posted:

Had argument today about NFTs. I basically just kept repeating 'why do you need NFTs for that?', and the only thing the other guy managed to produce was that game companies could save a lot of money on not storing in-game items on their servers. See, you don't even have to pay Oracle or hire a data base developer, you just put everything on blockchain and users pay for each transactions, and it works. So simple.

That's saving like tens of cents on S3 I'm sure.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

I've seen so many of these that it's just hit me how absurd it is that simply entering your wallet into a website is enough for them to steal everything inside it. I don't have to worry about my bank's account/routing number floating around because without my actual credentials all anyone can do with those is send me money. Do crypto wallets not have that same kind of system or are people genuinely just giving random websites their entire bank credentials just to potentially own a picture of a goblin

It's people "connecting" their meta mask wallet by entering their credentials or whatever into the scam site.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/cz_binance/status/1536418479271731203

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I look away and the 18k buy wall just disintegrated.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

crosses 18k and instantly another $100 down.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

on the bright side you aren't required to do it too often. instead there is a scheduled-in-advance 2 minute window every month and you can only do it in that window. if you miss it you can't mine for the month

it’s a good thing bots are agents of chaos and can’t do anything at a specified time

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

did the etherium merge happen yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

which of you is buying the domain in the bankruptcy?